User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 1 Sep 2006, 18:32   #1
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute
Round 19 and something I don't like

Since uni is starting again in 3 weeks, I've decided not to play "for real". My original plan was to stick to terran and do the odd fake, and keep another fleet for ingal defence.

Then I see we're (potentially) re-introducing military scans. This displeases me.

Alot of the tactics in PaX are down to the ability to fake a certain type of ship as another, I guess because of the single-ship targetting. I don't know why. I just don't think a hybrid of Pre-PaX and PaX is going to work due to the varying complicated-ness of the two pretty different games.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2006, 00:55   #2
Caj
speed demon

Caj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really nice
Re: Round 19 and something I don't like

yeah no to military scans
Round 20 - Rank 7 - Destiny (Zik)
Round 24 - Rank 2 - Conspiracy (Xan)
Round 28 - Rank 4 - Ascendancy (Xan)
Round 66 - Rank 9 - Ultores (Etd)
Round 83 - Rank 10 - #METOO (Zik)
Round 85 - Rank 3 - QQ (Etd)
Round 89 - Rank 2 - VGN (Zik)
Round 91 - Rank 9 - VGN (Zik)
Caj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2006, 03:53   #3
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

It may be fun for speed rounds but for regular rounds I don't think its a good idea. It will make it too easy to fleet catch and defend and put alot of pressure on scanners to be very active.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2006, 06:35   #4
rop1964
F Crew

rop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nice

ok.. i did not know the how about of military scan.. and i dont see what so wrong in makingdefense better.. i d remind ppls that attack or defense id 100% effective..

[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]uked
rop1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2006, 06:36   #5
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

iirc, military scans would show what was in a fleet, but doesnt actually say what fleet is inbound to you. I know, the early (R3) Mil scans did, but you had to forgo Hyperspace for those! .

As such, if anything, it would increase the amount of faking you could do; all you need to make sure is that your fleets have the same number of ships in them. But you have to do that now, i thought.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2006, 06:42   #6
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

without mils xand would be ridiculously brilliant.............
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 00:41   #7
voodoo
a pain

voodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond repute

i guess thats the very reaso they are bringing mil scans as well
:P
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 00:59   #8
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yeah a mil scan just showed the 3 fleets and what was in each and at base. It didn't say which fleets were en-route to where.

You can still fake with them.
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 01:03   #9
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

In the offensive sense you can still fake indeed (although harder as you will always need fleets with the same visible amount of units), but defence wise it makes faking near to impossible as it will be rather easy to spot the fakes by just seeing what is in the fleets.
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 01:22   #10
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandows
In the offensive sense you can still fake indeed (although harder as you will always need fleets with the same visible amount of units), but defence wise it makes faking near to impossible as it will be rather easy to spot the fakes by just seeing what is in the fleets.
That's true if you assume that you can Military scan anyone in the universe. If the same rules for Military Scans apply as to the current Fleet scans - eg, a fleet has to be inbound at *you* before you can do a mil scan, then this is less of a problem. The only way you would be able to work out whether someone is sending fake defence or not is if that planet is attacking someone in your alliance who can scan him, and is online etc to transfer the information to you through some means.

Thus, with mil scans, it would be risky to attack an alliance and send fake defence against them at the same time - though many alliances atm have this Chinese Wall between their offensive and defensive operations; neither side can see over the fence to see what the other is doing.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 23:04   #11
Cain
Awesome

Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

whine, build distorters
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 23:23   #12
Spritfire

Spritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really nice

Think this will be a nice new feature.
We will get some changes and we maybe need to learn another way to play.
Thats good, else we just get bored
Unread 4 Sep 2006, 23:45   #13
Timeline
Dreamer in Pit of Hell

Timeline is just really niceTimeline is just really niceTimeline is just really niceTimeline is just really nice

the mil scans made a welcome return during the recent world cup team event, and personally i think they can be re integrated into the full game quite easily...especially if everyone works together to help make it work

random n00b - r3 & 4
MoE - round 12
Rock - round 13, 14, 15, 16
Pragmatik - round 16
ToF - round 16
Subh - round 17
Pa Team - rounds 16, 17, 18, 19
awol ever since
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote