User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 10 Sep 2005, 09:13   #1
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough
Jumpgate scan

It happens so often. You need a jumpgate scan for someone, but you have 3 fleets out. It's also really annoying to cancel an attack/defense mission that was ordered the same tick, to then set a new mission, do a jpg scan, then set back the old mission.

I believe the aim of needing a free fleet for a jpg scan is to prevent so-called "scanner-planets". But that doesn't make sense to me, as such a planet would more or less always keep a free slot for jpg scans because they are important to the alliance/galaxy. If they won't, there'll always be someone else who will. From my point of view it is only annoying that you cannot see what planets are heading for a planet you are not attacking/defending. So I'd like to see that you can do it without having a spare slot.

The other option could be to just make it easier: you can do a jumpgate scan on someone IF YOU HAVE A FREE SLOT (or a fleet that is not on its way yet) instead of IF YOU HAVE A FLEET TRAVELLING TO YOUR TARGET.

What say you?

~Dark Link
Lοki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 10:18   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Jumpgate scan

I quite like the way jpg works now. It means that dedicated scanners have yet another thing they have to do, ie keep a fleet free. It also encourages more people to research jpg, which I like.

Remember there is still the option to do news scan at eta 1.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 11:33   #3
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Ferretus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

the jgp is designed to allow you to probe a planet YOUR fleet is going to. It is the scanners who have abused the original concept by doing as you described (ordering a mission, scanning, cancelling mission).

Ideally I would suggest that a JGP can only be done when your fleet has actually launched (ie 1 tick+ to get back)

Please bear in mind that much of what I say is intended to cause discussion. It may not reflect my personal favouritism or even have any involvement with my situation. In short bitching at me is pointless, so discuss the idea :-)
Ferretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2005, 08:35   #4
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretus
the jgp is designed to allow you to probe a planet YOUR fleet is going to. It is the scanners who have abused the original concept by doing as you described (ordering a mission, scanning, cancelling mission).

Ideally I would suggest that a JGP can only be done when your fleet has actually launched (ie 1 tick+ to get back)

Well there is always news scans eta 1 so could be a good idea.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2005, 08:30   #5
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough

Ok, so how about the 2nd option:

The other option could be to just make it easier: you can do a jumpgate scan on someone IF YOU HAVE A FREE SLOT (or a fleet that is not on its way yet) instead of IF YOU HAVE A FLEET TRAVELLING TO YOUR TARGET.
Would save some time, and be very handy near the end of a tick
Lοki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2005, 10:15   #6
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretus
Dark Link....this is the basic point.
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 17:02   #7
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

as a scanner i have no problem setting a fleet to launch, scanning then recalling. and it always makes it more fun towards the end of the tick trying to race the clock, or simply forgetting to cancel the mission and returning to see your solitary ship heading into the distance. keep it as it is, and dont be so lazy.
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 18:13   #8
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBerk
as a scanner i have no problem setting a fleet to launch, scanning then recalling. and it always makes it more fun towards the end of the tick trying to race the clock, or simply forgetting to cancel the mission and returning to see your solitary ship heading into the distance. keep it as it is, and dont be so lazy.
You don't set it on pre-launch +11 like everyone else does?
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 19:25   #9
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

nah, that takes extra time i tend to try and just remember to recall it asap, more fun, especially when i only had 1 ship and forgot to recall it until it was eta 4 to a planet...
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 21:21   #10
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

i never understood the "fun-factor" in scanning / being a scanner but i guess i feel it myself next round

keeping u updated on my new experiences :>

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 21:38   #11
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
nah, that takes extra time i tend to try and just remember to recall it asap, more fun, especially when i only had 1 ship and forgot to recall it until it was eta 4 to a planet...
I've done this in previous rounds so many times it wasn't funny. I never prelaunched my ship(s) for a long while either, although I eventally managed to do it half of the time just because I got distracted half way through scanning and ended up getting "you can recall your fleet" mails all the time.
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 08:54   #12
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Jumpgate scan

The funniest thing is when u forget to recall and receive from the enemy planet a thanks msg asking to pull def

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2005, 03:36   #13
Ron7684
Eat My Roids

Ron7684 can only hope to improve

its not as bad as when you do a jumpgate scan with a full fleet (on attack) and forget to recall. It always gets me when it goes over the tick and i cant recall until xx:10. Anyway, i agree with FERRETUS on the jumpgates only working at return eta 1+. Although scanners are extremely useful, i believe that they just do too much. If you can just log on once in 5 hours and look at a jumpgate on your alliance target when you have 0 amps and the target has 100 dists and your alli scanner just happens to have 120.

Last edited by Ron7684; 17 Sep 2005 at 20:22. Reason: ferretus gets the props on this one
Ron7684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2005, 11:17   #14
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron7684
Anyway, i agree with noah on the jumpgates only working at return eta 1+.

That was ferrutus not me
I just said news scans you can do eta 1.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2005, 22:41   #15
ravenwolf

ravenwolf is an unknown quantity at this point

this has to do with the JGP scan but it doesnt have to do with what was talked about before. I want to talk about the fact that when you use a JGP on someone they can find out what is launched at them before it is physically launched only preset to launch.

here is an example of what i mean planet A is going to attack planet B, so Planet A set his fleet to launch at planet B but sets a delay time of 2 ticks. Planet B has a ship returning the following tick that planet A set his fleet to launch. Planet B now knows that Planet A is going to attack just doesnt know when.

What I want to talk about is maybe changing the JGP scan to only show all incommin fleets that have actaully launched against that planet. One way to do that is to remove prelaunchin all together but I am not for that as I know it is useful in some cases. I want to know what other ways is there to maybe prevent that Prelaunches showing up on JGP's
ravenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2005, 22:43   #16
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

becuase of the way scans are liekly to change for the enxt version of pa the jpg will probably need ot change to not need fleets

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2005, 22:56   #17
TheBerk
dazed and confused

Kal, tihs intirgeus me. Tell us more, pls ta.
How's the scanning going Jupp?
Unread 15 Nov 2005, 23:21   #18
ravenwolf

Ok I can by that but what about from now till the new pa system is any chance of maybe seeing it change and mold to what ever the new way the scan is going to work? or are we going to have to wait till the new system comes out and then be surprised with it?
Unread 15 Nov 2005, 23:21   #19
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Kal, tihs intirgeus me. Tell us more, pls ta.
How's the scanning going Jupp?

Appoco will reveal all at some point i'm sure - but the idea is to force some customisation of planets and things.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 15 Nov 2005, 23:37   #20
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

and to remove the option of jpscanning unless you are eta 5 or less out
Unread 15 Nov 2005, 23:39   #21
TheBerk
dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Appoco will reveal all at some point i'm sure - but the idea is to force some customisation of planets and things.
So dedicated planets for different roles? A bit like the old branched tech trees, follow one branch to the end and lose other options?
Unread 15 Nov 2005, 23:45   #22
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenwolf
this has to do with the JGP scan but it doesnt have to do with what was talked about before. I want to talk about the fact that when you use a JGP on someone they can find out what is launched at them before it is physically launched only preset to launch.

here is an example of what i mean planet A is going to attack planet B, so Planet A set his fleet to launch at planet B but sets a delay time of 2 ticks. Planet B has a ship returning the following tick that planet A set his fleet to launch. Planet B now knows that Planet A is going to attack just doesnt know when.

What I want to talk about is maybe changing the JGP scan to only show all incommin fleets that have actaully launched against that planet. One way to do that is to remove prelaunchin all together but I am not for that as I know it is useful in some cases. I want to know what other ways is there to maybe prevent that Prelaunches showing up on JGP's
The problem is prelaunch is a powerful feature that while leveling the plying field some what automates the game too much and result in a game where you dont need to be around that much at all. This in turn means that getting help defending becomes tough as no-ones around (especially lower down) which means the attacks you need to defend never can be and also means the community is less vibrant as people arent there to take part in it.

Its simply good for the game that theres some advantage to a manual launch and its the way any automated should be. Without disadvantages to automated systems we may as well just have bot planets playing for us.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 00:00   #23
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Ok I can by that but what about from now till the new pa system is any chance of maybe seeing it change and mold to what ever the new way the scan is going to work? or are we going to have to wait till the new system comes out and then be surprised with it?
yes we will be discussing things intially with a development team we are putting together, and then once we have a more formed plan presenting the items to the community for discussion.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 16 Nov 2005, 00:50   #24
ravenwolf

well I guess im thinkin to logical in terms of the game instead of the wide picture... wakey understand what you are saying about botting. But all im saying is that yes there are times when you can use that as a real good advantage but that in itself is a disadvantage as there are going to be times reguardless if you prelaunch or not that people are not going to be around. you cant honestly tell me that there isnt an alliance that at some point in the day isnt active to some degree.

@kal thats cool, atleast we have something to look forward to as far as that goes.
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 01:17   #25
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
yes we will be discussing things intially with a development team we are putting together, and then once we have a more formed plan presenting the items to the community for discussion.
By presenting you mean saying 'this is what we're doing' rather than 'this is what we're thinking of doing, what do you think'?
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 01:27   #26
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
well I guess im thinkin to logical in terms of the game instead of the wide picture... wakey understand what you are saying about botting. But all im saying is that yes there are times when you can use that as a real good advantage but that in itself is a disadvantage as there are going to be times reguardless if you prelaunch or not that people are not going to be around. you cant honestly tell me that there isnt an alliance that at some point in the day isnt active to some degree.

@kal thats cool, atleast we have something to look forward to as far as that goes.
You increase it though, ask alot of the top alliances about their activity and they will tell you its harder to find people willing to pull all nighters. The people who do put their effort in and manually launch SHOULD get some kind of advantage. It works well as it is. The longer you prelaunch the more chance you have of being found out, the key is to leae it as long as possible

Also it can be used as a tactical thing. A number of times i managed to keep a fleet tied up with my prelaunch to saftey fleet without launching simply due to the fact i set it up for +11 and just left it there knowing the person would get a scan when incoming started and see that he needed hos ships himself
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 08:42   #27
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
By presenting you mean saying 'this is what we're doing' rather than 'this is what we're thinking of doing, what do you think'?
more - this is what we want to do - is it ok? If it isn't then back to the drawing board. Rem,ember we are reading the suggestions forum, so people can give input via it.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???