User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 22 Dec 2005, 19:34   #1
Zeke

Zeke is on a distinguished road
More score

Mmh I remember the old times, where planets were able to get a score of 1 billion!
I liked this a lot. I think at least that we should get more points for everything, so the planet scores aren't aroun 10 to 20mil in the end, but from 100 to 250mil points. I think with higher scores and getting more points it would be much more fun
Well otherwise of course, the server has to calculate a litte more, don't know how much it will cause slower loading or whatever. What do you guys think?
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2005, 20:07   #2
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: More score

You want to add a 0?
Unread 22 Dec 2005, 20:49   #3
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

i think the current scale is very ok!

you have to see that scores add up for galaxies and even more for alliances and when you have 80 x 100 mil planets it gives quite a long number for the universe page or for toolsites.

i wouldnt feel better with 60 mil score instead of 6 mil ...

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2005, 20:52   #4
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I kind of agree with the OP, it just feels nicer as opposed the rounds looking like they ended prematurely with scores only just topping 10mil...
Unread 22 Dec 2005, 21:06   #5
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Lower scores are better for the game, while the gaps are really the same no matter how they are done the higher you make the score the BIGGER the gap actually seems and if a gap is perceived to be much bigger then it has a demotivating factor on people. Its better to have score harder to get so the gaps seem smalelr and motivate people more than have it easy to get but the gaps look enoumous.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2005, 21:25   #6
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

hey its cooler to have 200 mill instead of 2 mill
robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2005, 21:30   #7
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

From the master of cool robban :P

Bigger numbers dont make any difference to stuff cmon ! At the end of next round you'll want another 0 !

It'll also make the game like those stupid 'im a gangster click my link' games where everyone has 37816581275281571$$ and 832158913581 power or whatever.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2005, 22:56   #8
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

well i know its the same thats why its cool
Unread 22 Dec 2005, 22:58   #9
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

If it aint broke dont fix it
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2006, 12:50   #10
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

When i was 10 years old i liked the newer monopoly version with the 2 extra 0's on all money too.

Anything else has comment?
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2006, 13:05   #11
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

This is just a guess but I don't actually think its feasible to have such large numbers in the new PaX style of things - hence why the t10 alliances in havoc all have the same score. The database can only have a maximum value of 2147blahblahblah because the total score is calculated before its inserted to the DB. Before alliances were hardcoded, the total score was calced on the spot, and so there was no maximum value that could be stored in the database.

This is why scores are so much lower, I think.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2006, 13:12   #12
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
I liked this a lot. I think at least that we should get more points for everything, so the planet scores aren't aroun 10 to 20mil in the end, but from 100 to 250mil points. I think with higher scores and getting more points it would be much more fun
Yeah, the good old days were great in that way, but the new scoring system is fine - a 2 million planet this round is roughly as powerful as a 20 million planet back in the day if you look at the ships (depending on XP ofc ), so just imagine that there is another 0 after everything that you do and its all good!

Quote:
Well otherwise of course, the server has to calculate a litte more, don't know how much it will cause slower loading or whatever. What do you guys think?
Actually, the effect on databases is immense with just that extra digit for everyone - it imposes a massive increase in load. bandwidth and size etc, which is a severe disadvantage of just a small amount of eye-candy that doesnt really have an impact on the game (relative score is far more important than what it actually is).

So; it would be nice to have, but totally impracticle
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2006, 18:26   #13
Dictator2

Dictator2 can only hope to improve

Pfff... are you serious??? What difference does it make??? "cooler"??? Bah, beauty (coolness in this case) is in the eyes of the beholder.

If anything (altho is fine as is) bring the score and value down... and not only these, but ALL numbers down (i.e. costs, fleets, etc) Make math process a bit more manageable for our human brains, instead of forcing most players to use PA tools, eackkk

I for one, would prefer to do the math in my head, without bcalcs or any of the other tools.

PA tools should be a last resort; not what you automatically use for anything, pff, unless of course there is a lot of shit involved, in which case is better to make sure we have some tools to helps us "confirm" what we think will happen.

I think we have spoiled lotsa of new players with these "tools" (since I can remember) instead of making sure they know how the math works.

Most DCs/old players already have these skills, but im sure 60%+ of the players, don't... and you are proposing to make numbers even larger???

Simplify, simplify!!!! even when it comes to stuff as simple as adding or taking out an extra "0"

Last edited by Dictator2; 7 Jan 2006 at 00:56.
Dictator2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2006, 01:14   #14
robban1

an extra digit dont make the math any harder

dont really use tools either if its not an oddball zik or something hehe
Unread 7 Jan 2006, 02:01   #15
Zero
uber pe0n

Zero will become famous soon enoughZero will become famous soon enough

if there end up being 200 million score planets then the alliance rankings will screw up like it did in havoc. it can only handle 32 bit binary at the moment so it means that the maximum an alliance score can be is 2.147 billion so with just 11 200 million score planets the alliance score can increase no further.

and like Shyne said....if it aint broke, dont fix it
Unread 7 Jan 2006, 02:04   #16
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

an *ugly* hack to solve that would be to store the scores as they are, but multiply them by 1000-10000 whenever they are displayed.
though, somewhat pointless given theres nothing wrong with the score system as it is.
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 16:38   #17
olle
Newdawn ftw \o/

olle is infamous around these partsolle is infamous around these parts

I got one word for you Zeke:
HAVOC!!!!! You get plenty of score/ships there

The current score we have now is fine
olle is offline   Reply With Quote