User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 19 Nov 2005, 10:15   #1
SpaceLegend
(-: :-)

SpaceLegend is on a distinguished road
XP for defence

we had this discussion already, but i wanna throw in a new idea

since lot of def missions don't end in a battle and the outcome of those
theoretical battles is undefined, xp for defense should be given for moving def fleets

you should get xp for every tick your defense fleet is moving for a matching attack fleet

sample:
eta 8 incs, i send def fleet eta 7, eta 4 the attacker recalls
i should get xp for 3 ticks cause my def matches an attack fleet for 3 ticks
(eta 6, eta 5 and eta 4)

since nobody can recall a fleet during tick, its possible to add such a calc
at the end of the tick before players are able again to change missions.

i think xp per tick could be:
3 XP in ally
7 XP in cluster (non-ally only)
10 XP in galaxy

a hardcore defender who defends in ally 200 times per round, would get
totally ~2400 xp (going by an average of 4 ticks def )
this is still "nothing" compared to xp by attacks but something :-)

comments ?
R2 35:16 | R3 16:15 | R4 234:11 | R5 32:5 | R6 14:4 | R7 20:11 | R8 18:6
R9 27:10 | R9.5 11:4 | R10 10:1 | R10.5 1:6 | R11 6:5 | R12 28:3 | R13 3:9
R14 13:5 | R15 5:6 | R16 20:3 | R17 8:4 | R18 13:7 | R19 10:8 | R20 3:4
R21 15:4 | R22 4:4 | R23 7:5 | R24 12:8 | R25 11:5 | R26 11:9 | R27 1:9
R28 9:2 | R29 5:5 | R30 3:7 | R31 10:7 | R32 6:2 | R33 3:6 | R34 2:1 | R35 6:2
R36 9:2 | R37 5:6 | R38 12:1 | R39 14:8 | R40 10:6 | R41+ retired
SpaceLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 10:30   #2
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all
Re: XP for defence

Its very open to abuse, thats my initial thinking.
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 12:58   #3
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fish
Its very open to abuse, thats my initial thinking.
How so? if it had to match an attacking fleet, then you would only be getting XP if you are sending defence to someone who is being attacked. Not only does that make sense, in what way is it abusable? Additionally, the XP doesnt sound high enough to warrant three fleet defending solely to farm XP - it would be more beneficial to attack by a significant margin.

However, i think the values that you are placing should be altered - 10 in galaxy is rather alot, and i know there is less time due to the shorter ETA, but i think something where your buddypacks are considered; in-gal def to a BP member gives half the XP than a non-buddypack member. Thus, you have 3 for alliance, 5 for in-gal BP, 7 for in-cluster (non alliance), 10 for in-gal non BP per tick of defence.

I think the idea is excellent, however it means that races with low ETA defence ships (Xans, Caths) are at more of a disadvantage to races with higher ETA def ships (Terrans, Ziks) as they will have one additional tick of XP per defence than hte others.

It would be worth pursuing at least. Well done .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 15:21   #4
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think a reward for launches should be given - not a huge one, but something at least.

For example 3 xp given for any launch (launch, not tick in flight). In a 1500 tick round, this will give a maximum of 2250 launches (3 fleets, 750 launchable ticks). Thats 6750 xp, or 405000 score. Bearing in mind that if someone were to launch 3 fleets every other tick and recall them one hour into their missions, they wouldn't really grow much, would they? So the whole "abuse" factor there is abolished.

On the other hand, xp for defence promotes defending, and thus harms attacking. So the pro's and cons are debatable.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 17:04   #5
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

IMO an XP for defence system would work perhaps in tandem with a you cant attack people smaller than you style game, but its still gonna need a lot of thought.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 18:51   #6
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy
Personally I think a reward for launches should be given - not a huge one, but something at least.

For example 3 xp given for any launch (launch, not tick in flight). In a 1500 tick round, this will give a maximum of 2250 launches (3 fleets, 750 launchable ticks). Thats 6750 xp, or 405000 score. Bearing in mind that if someone were to launch 3 fleets every other tick and recall them one hour into their missions, they wouldn't really grow much, would they? So the whole "abuse" factor there is abolished.

On the other hand, xp for defence promotes defending, and thus harms attacking. So the pro's and cons are debatable.
XP for defending wouldn't hurt that much if it was a set amount. It might make people defend slightly more, but the idea would really to be to reward defenders to some extent without making people want to defend a whole lot more just because they can get score out of it.
I don't see that we need a huge amount of variation, but something like this should work quite well (100k per landing fleet-type idea was the other option)
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 21:06   #7
Ron7684
Eat My Roids

Ron7684 can only hope to improve

It is actually exploitable by sending fake def. But with a maximum of 7*14 =98 XP for 28 ticks of a wasted fleet slot (there and back). Its obviously better to go roid someone. So it sounds like a nice system, id like to see it implemented as it WOULD increase defence missions in some cases. Now when you ask yourself "But what do i get out of a defence mission?" you have an answer. Plus its also a bonus to caths, who gain ABSOLOUTLY nothing on defence missions and EMP salvage has been shot down more times than it got up
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 14:13   #8
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I quite like this
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 14:54   #9
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Why not run defence by roids saved:

XP = roids saved by you * value ratio

instead of xp = roids capped * value ratio
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 14:58   #10
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne
Why not run defence by roids saved:

XP = roids saved by you * value ratio

instead of xp = roids capped * value ratio
No.
we've moved on from that
That is probably more abuseable than set XP, and it also changes game dynamics too much.
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 15:55   #11
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Ok I see the abuse point - a player of huge value sends 1 ship and u save all the roids.

How about by fleet values, of those fleets involved in the combat?
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 17:42   #12
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

definatly a good idea

for the XP ratio i would do

XP for alliance/gal def 4 per tick
XP for cluster(nonallied) def 6 per tick

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 18:24   #13
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

I don't see why you would want xp for defenders at all? it's hard enough to kill a planet as it is.. you need to fully kill someone's fleet 5 times over before it's actually usefull unless it's stolen, and that's quite hard to do.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 22:22   #14
Doorsdown

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

we don't want people to be totaly wiped off the map any more esp with the size of the current player base. with xp it makes it possible to still have a shot at some rank even if you screw up once or twice

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 22:24   #15
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorsdown
we don't want people to be totaly wiped off the map any more esp with the size of the current player base. with xp it makes it possible to still have a shot at some rank even if you screw up once or twice
The best way to do this would be to increase salvage, tbh
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 22:39   #16
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

lol increase? that almost means you can let your fleet die fully and stay same size :/
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 22:40   #17
Appocomaster
PA Team

from 20% to 30-40%? not really.
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 01:23   #18
cypher
U've been Moderated

no offence mate... but we've had that in a certain round and it's basically all farming salvage then. it's NOT good for pa because you can't fight wars between alliances anymore if you always get the resources back to prod what you lost
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 02:04   #19
Doorsdown

by no means if 20 to 40% make up for losses. if you lose a mil of value u can get 400k back most and just because they get the res doesn't mean it will replace the same thing that got destroyed. 40 is too much though 30 would be a cap. maybe rather than XP for def have a variable ammount of salavage.

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 02:21   #20
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Indeed, 40% is too much. 30% sounds good to me .
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 18:48   #21
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough

About the original idea:

I think this can be abused... you could send a fleet with 1 ship to a galmate that is under attack, then recall after the tick, if you don't need your fleet for one tick. People who'd do that as often as they can would get pretty much xp from it.
Lοki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 18:55   #22
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

The only way XP should be given for defence is when defence lands at the planet.

If there is a policy of fleets landing for more than 1 tick next round, then XP should be given for amount of time in orbit of a planet.
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2005, 01:22   #23
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Link
About the original idea:

I think this can be abused... you could send a fleet with 1 ship to a galmate that is under attack, then recall after the tick, if you don't need your fleet for one tick. People who'd do that as often as they can would get pretty much xp from it.
Ok, say a player did that once a night, and sent a fleet to defend hostile incoming to a non-BP galaxymate (in my part of the suggestion), for the entire round. That means they would get 10 XP * 70 days (7 days of 10 weeks), which is 700 XP. *60 is 42k score. At the end of the round, 42k score is pittance.

However, for a more active defender, they would get far more 'legimate' score through using their fleets to defend with.

Obviously, the values in the suggestion can be tweaked in order to make them 'balanced', but it is a good starting point i think.
Unread 22 Nov 2005, 10:42   #24
Goatsemaster
Just like science!

Goatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Indeed, 40% is too much. 30% sounds good to me .
Let's be honest. The current salvage percentages are some of the longest standing percentages for a reason. Because whoever is behind them is a genius!
Unread 23 Nov 2005, 14:16   #25
higginz
||Dude||

higginz will become famous soon enoughhigginz will become famous soon enough

would you still get get xp for simply moving your fleet when your being attacked, even without the intention of defending a galmate etc? (in a gal raid for example)
Unread 23 Nov 2005, 18:51   #26
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

don't see much use for it. everyone who is supporting this feature seems to stress the score that could possibly be gained through defence is too small to make any significant change in ranks.. in that case, what would it be good for anyway?

we already have enough benefits for active defenders.. they should get higher defense priority from their galaxy and their alliance. in a proper alliance/galaxy that is. and (a very important point imo!) if they are worth being defended that is. means it implicitely balances attack/defense, in the sense that def whores can't take much advantage, but an active attacker AND defender will be able to gain a lot from defending.

to sum it up: no, thanks, don't need xp for defense
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2005, 19:01   #27
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Ok, say a player did that once a night, and sent a fleet to defend hostile incoming to a non-BP galaxymate (in my part of the suggestion), for the entire round. That means they would get 10 XP * 70 days (7 days of 10 weeks), which is 700 XP. *60 is 42k score. At the end of the round, 42k score is pittance.
Then why do we even BOTHER to think of this? 42 k score in a round for someone defending alot won't help. Most attackers WILL recall when they are defended against.
Lοki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2005, 22:08   #28
Ron7684
Eat My Roids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Link
Then why do we even BOTHER to think of this? 42 k score in a round for someone defending alot won't help. Most attackers WILL recall when they are defended against.
this is what happens if you defend for 1 tick per nite. Hes saying that sending a 7 tick mission once a week will be the equivalent to this. People who defend 3-4 times a week LEGITIMATELY will gain ~135k score.
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 14:14   #29
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

I know that PA does not use Eonium to launch fleets anymore, but you could reintroduce this (or an extra resource type) so that any player using the defence XP will still have to spend Fuel, and also base it [XP] on quantity of ships sent compared to their total fleet [Precentage].

The fuel idea (plus other people ideas) would stop players getting something for nothing.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 16:01   #30
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold

i dont like xp for defending at all.

what is with people without an alliance ? they are limited to ingal-defense which is alot rare than alliance-def.

Def for xp would mean that you would HAVE to be in an alliance to play this game a bit successful - and that sux.
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 16:12   #31
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legator
Def for xp would mean that you would HAVE to be in an alliance to play this game a bit successful - and that sux.
So you think atm you don't need one to be "a bit" successful? Depends on definition of "a bit" maybe...
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 22:43   #32
Brug
Communist

Brug is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of XP for def a lot.

Organizing def is harder then organizing an attack, in-gal or in alliance. It should be rewarded in a way, doesn't have to be much, but not nothing.

I' ve ordered def missions 40 times so far, and i get nothing out of it. If i was a selfish player, i would only attack and never def. As some do.

Attack = personal benefiet, Defend= (mostly idle) hope you get some def in return.

As for salvage, Ron7684 is right, no salvage for Cathaar players if no ships are killed. Same when def makes an attacker recall, the simple fact of avoiding an attacker to land should be rewarded.
[r19-r21]- Orbit
[What Rnd is this?]- Orbit

Let war only exist in games
Brug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 22:59   #33
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious
So you think atm you don't need one to be "a bit" successful? Depends on definition of "a bit" maybe...

you can be top 100 without alliance.
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 23:13   #34
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legator
you can be top 100 without alliance.
you have an alliance Legator ... without Reunion you would be nothing!

:eek:

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 00:14   #35
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Quote:
Ok I see the abuse point - a player of huge value sends 1 ship and u save all the roids.

How about by fleet values, of those fleets involved in the combat?
I'm quoting my own post as none of the replies seem to be related.

Has anyone considered this?

I think it cuts off most points of abuse -

XP is (all_def_fleet_values / attacker_fleet_value % 20)* (your_def_fleet_value/all_def_fleet_values)

perhaps multiplied by another fractional modifier to make it smaller than attack xp gains.

If someone tried to abuse it by defending on easily covered incs, they're still a small ratio of the defending fleets.
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 16:57   #36
paolo
Kwaak

paolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to all

I like the idea and especially the 'Ingal defence is the most profitable' part. It would support ingal defence, so a better cooperation ingal. People will help their galmembers in stead of just their alliance and this will (well in my mind anyway) create a better atmosphere in the galaxies.

But most importantly it will give players in the smallest gals, who are constantly under attack, another chance to grow. It would return a bit of joy to those players who have it rough. 10 to 20 hostile fleets every day when you get above 100 roids, no chance whatsoever to grow normally.
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 17:45   #37
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
I'm quoting my own post as none of the replies seem to be related.

Has anyone considered this?
Sorry, I was going to reply but never got around to it. I favoured similar approaches last time it was discussed, but was shown the light by Jester of how constant XP doesn't take away from the attacking game dynamics.

I'd prefer the defence XP to reward defending without shifting the balance of the game too much.

Quote:
I think it cuts off most points of abuse -

XP is (all_def_fleet_values / attacker_fleet_value % 20)* (your_def_fleet_value/all_def_fleet_values)

If someone tried to abuse it by defending on easily covered incs, they're still a small ratio of the defending fleets.
not sure what the % is for.
Anyway, you get a really really small planet with a tiny fleet to attack the top valued players. The bigger the difference bweteen the attacker and defender values, the more XP they'd get. This rewards people who have people suciding on them.
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 20:51   #38
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Sorry % meaning mod 20 (max 20) as per attack.

I think its meant to be attacker_fleet_value / all_def_fleet_values rather than the other way around -

The idea is that lots of def vs. a small attacker gives little xp, and that xp given is dependent on how much you contributed to the entire defence.
Unread 26 Nov 2005, 08:59   #39
Ron7684
Eat My Roids

i dont agree with your idea that much shyne, it leaves much room for problems/annoyances.

Im assuming you're formula applies on combat, what happens when an attacker recalls eta 1 and the defender just used up 14 tix of a fleetslot (there + back). Not really fulfilling the point. Plus the fact that 90% of attacks that are defended against dont land unless the defence is small (in which case your formula would award minimal xp).

And you cannot alter your formula to be used on a per tick inflight basis as it could be exploited. A planet sends defence -> finds their xp gain -> finds the attackers fleet value -> creates 100% accurate calc based on fleet value + unit scan + amt of attacking ships -> perfect defence each time, xan cloaking is essentially eliminated/useless
Unread 1 Dec 2005, 17:21   #40
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

This must be the best idea since King Knut II ordered 80,000 viking warhelmets with the horns on the inside.
Unread 1 Dec 2005, 18:35   #41
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
This must be the best idea since King Knut II ordered 80,000 viking warhelmets with the horns on the inside.
They come in a catalog?

Which idea did you mean btw? or just the general "XP for defence" idea?
Unread 2 Dec 2005, 01:31   #42
rop1964
F Crew

rop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nice

i am for xp for defense, as the way i see the opposition, they would rather see no defense at all.. which in turn would lead to bashing.. and you know.. i hate bashing with a passion!
let s reward those who put their fleet on the line to protect those in need! the amount should not to be huge.. but reflect the action of helping ppls. i like the idea of xp per tick travel and the xp according to who and where you protect.. both should be combine so to provide a good incentive.. after all the point in defending is to have the attacker recall. and increasing the salvage would avoid small planet be blast to nothing if battle happen.

[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]uked
rop1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2005, 02:11   #43
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
They come in a catalog?

Which idea did you mean btw? or just the general "XP for defence" idea?
almost complete XP for def.

maybe only xp for def ingal, but otherwise, no-no.