User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Nov 2005, 22:16   #1
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future
Galaxy Tags - illegal characters make it hard

Today i tried to play around a bit with galaxy name and banner and tried to find something suitable. After a short time i came to an end because galaxy names are totally limited to a very few possible *special* characters such as = ,+, -,_,- .

I think in a game totally based around alliances and with very limited way to express your galaxy to the outside (name & banner) it should be at least possible to use a few more characters in the galaxy names.

I already questioned support- team about this and got followed answers for the current limitations :

Quote:
[21:26] <jackle> its an attempt to keep the names clear and readable

[21:27] <jackle> to avoid this kind of thing: ¯`·._)(¯`·._) (l)»-(¯`v´¯)--»LOVE«-(¯`v´¯)--«(
and

Quote:
[21:31] <jackle> theres a lot of players who dont play in allainces
[21:31] <jackle> they may not want to be tagged
[21:31] <Kal> tagging often gets silly so the galaxy name doesn;t fit as well
In my opinion those arguemnts are not really valid as you could still ban most characters to avoid stuff like ¯`·._)(¯`·._) (l)»-(¯`v´¯)--»LOVE«-(¯`v´¯)--« and still enough to tag up your gal or have a bit more structure in your galaxy name at least.

Certainly it is not hard to fix and i dont see why it shouldnt be changed.

Opinions ?

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2005, 22:25   #2
Rember
Womble

Rember has a spectacular aura aboutRember has a spectacular aura aboutRember has a spectacular aura about
Re: Galaxy Tags - illegal characters make it hard

i totally agree with jupp; stop teh sillyness and give us more options!
[12:17] <Gitchin> Rember your a womble!
[16:53] <SYMM> Rember your a womble! | [10:17:57] <Squidly> Rember, you're a womble
[19:28] <Filth> Rember your a womble! | [16:25] <remy|afk> Rember, you are a womble
[14:04] <Colt> Rember your a womble! | [16:22] <TVFreak> Rember U are a womble
[15:18] <Darkness> Rember U are a womble | [15:21] <Xerm|away> Rember U are a womble
[13:39:44] <illmatics> Rember your a womble
Rember is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2005, 22:27   #3
Illmaticks
you know you want me

Illmaticks has a spectacular aura aboutIllmaticks has a spectacular aura about

To be honest, I think its fine as it is. I'd be annoyed if everyone started using annoying symbols in the text. Even more so, if they began using the example given by support, hehe.

So, I don't agree with you on this one. Plenty of different names you can come up with to create versatility in galnames. And is it really that important? Make a nice galbanner instead, won't ya.

Alliances: [Conc] [NRK] [ETY] [Guild] [Reunion] [HR] [Insomnia] [Ascendancy] & others...
Illmaticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2005, 22:28   #4
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmaticks
To be honest, I think its fine as it is. I'd be annoyed if everyone started using annoying symbols in the text. Even more so, if they began using the example given by support, hehe.

So, I don't agree with you on this one. Plenty of different names you can come up with to create versatility in galnames. And is it really that important? Make a nice galbanner instead, won't ya.
Clearly there have to be some limits on characters and i wouldnt want to see things like the example from jackle myself. just a bit more freedom

Unread 17 Nov 2005, 22:32   #5
Illmaticks
you know you want me

Illmaticks has a spectacular aura aboutIllmaticks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupp
Clearly there have to be some limits on characters and i wouldnt want to see things like the example from jackle myself. just a bit more freedom
I would agree with you that [] should be allowed, but thats about it.

Albeit reintroducing [] would mean alliance taggings, etc, and would add more confusion.

Example: http://www.caeneus.org/planetarion/round9galaxies.html

The top 4 galaxies haven't used symbols and are easily readable. After that its all chinese.

Alliances: [Conc] [NRK] [ETY] [Guild] [Reunion] [HR] [Insomnia] [Ascendancy] & others...
Illmaticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2005, 22:33   #6
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Well I think it's a matter of where boundries should be set. I agree with the PA team that too many strange characters allow for some bizzare situations, and should therefor the character set should be limited. How do you control which set of characters should be used, verses thoughs that shouldn't? I mean if you had a couple of specific characters in mind, maybe it would clear things up. Personally I am happy with the existing character set, but I can understand the desire to have more freedom in this arena.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2005, 23:47   #7
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmaticks
I would agree with you that [] should be allowed, but thats about it.

Albeit reintroducing [] would mean alliance taggings, etc, and would add more confusion.

Example: http://www.caeneus.org/planetarion/round9galaxies.html

The top 4 galaxies haven't used symbols and are easily readable. After that its all chinese.

i think thoose rankings nicly show why we shouldn;t allow tagging in the galaxy name - perhaps what we need is a separate thing to list alliances in.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2005, 00:15   #8
jupp
Hi there ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
i think thoose rankings nicly show why we shouldn;t allow tagging in the galaxy name - perhaps what we need is a separate thing to list alliances in.
we shouldnt forget that those list is from a complete different time - with higher player size and more alliances - bigger galaxies. Today we have mostly 2 or 3 alliances per galaxy and again those massive tagging up mostly only happens in the last week of the round or smth like that.

Unread 18 Nov 2005, 08:45   #9
god113
Ex-Player

god113 has a spectacular aura aboutgod113 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupp
we shouldnt forget that those list is from a complete different time - with higher player size and more alliances - bigger galaxies. Today we have mostly 2 or 3 alliances per galaxy and again those massive tagging up mostly only happens in the last week of the round or smth like that.
Out of interest. What do you gain from having the tag in the actual name, and not in a seperate field (like Kal suggested)?

Last edited by god113; 18 Nov 2005 at 08:53.
god113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2005, 12:54   #10
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

This brings me to an idea i've had to give players a small profile space.

It would allow some text about them, and a picture perhaps. If you mouseover their ruler name, it'd pop up similar to how ship stats do in that javascript layer.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2005, 13:32   #11
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne

It would allow some text about them, and a picture perhaps. If you mouseover their ruler name, it'd pop up similar to how ship stats do in that javascript layer.

Know one would fill it in or would fill it in with random poop tbh as everyone thinks there in SAS and try and camoflage who they actually are.

Everyone thinks there a ninja in this game and like to play hide and seek.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2005, 13:44   #12
jackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne

I dont think a profile space would add anythign to the game, mostly becuase most players are forced to be very secretive for intel reasons :P
Unread 18 Nov 2005, 15:10   #13
jupp
Hi there ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by god113
Out of interest. What do you gain from having the tag in the actual name, and not in a seperate field (like Kal suggested)?
i have nothing against that

Unread 18 Nov 2005, 17:42   #14
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackle
I dont think a profile space would add anythign to the game, mostly becuase most players are forced to be very secretive for intel reasons :P
by the time people are wanting to tag their gal, they're equally able to fill in profile spaces etc. with the new passport thingy, it'd be pretty simple to have one filled in and allow a toggle to show/hide it in each game