User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 3 Nov 2005, 16:50   #1
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute
Exception Idea

Please dont anyone flame this to much im just wanting opinions on the matter

Would it be worth while limiting exceptions to loggin in on different ticks.

eg. planet A logs in in tick X then planet B has to wait till tick X+1 before he can log in.

I can see a great deal of benifits from a MH point of view im just wondering how much trouble it would cause the average player.

The reasons i think it would help is that you wont have one person sitting with both accounts logging in all the time preventing account sharing ( not preventing it much but making it more difficult) and would prevent multis abusing the system

Discuss
Unread 3 Nov 2005, 16:54   #2
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of
Re: Exception Idea

Personally I'd say "No no no no no no". And to stop this from being a flame I'll give you two examples.

1) Last weekend Bashar visited. We were both using our planets, not interacting, but wanting to do stuff when we were around a computer and sometimes constructions or researches finished in the same tick. There were many times when we'd have been pretty pissed off at an hours wait.

2) This weekend I'm visiting Bashar. See point 1.

3) We'd just end up going through an anoymous proxy and if we did that we'd realise "hey, this is easy, lets interact" rather than putting up with the current exception limits.
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2005, 17:00   #3
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

is an hour such a long time ?

Its not a huge sacrafice its better than some of the other limits that are placed on exception accounts if this was implemented it might mean some of them could be laxed a little as well.
Unread 3 Nov 2005, 17:19   #4
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

It's a great deal when it comes to defence or to construction or to research. When the temporal resolution of the game is 1 hour, you can't force people out of the game for 1 hour as they miss time when they might NEED to do things.
Unread 3 Nov 2005, 17:24   #5
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Also, there are issues like Army barracks or University where the entire camp place might all have the same public IP. You might get an exception with your mate in halls for example who's miles down the coridoor. You wouldn't know when you may be able to login because of this.
Unread 3 Nov 2005, 17:25   #6
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloopy
It's a great deal when it comes to defence or to construction or to research. When the temporal resolution of the game is 1 hour, you can't force people out of the game for 1 hour as they miss time when they might NEED to do things.
Or when there are actualy only short time windows where they CAN login at all - exceptions mostly take place when ppl live together and therefor might have a similar day schedule of work and doing stuff together . Imagine you want to go out with your GF and have to login 2 hours before you leave so the other partner can login just before going away.

i say "No No No No" as well

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2005, 18:12   #7
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Enough reasoning provided I'd say. Close the thread and think about things before asking about them (why does this remind me on xontas? at least squishy is talking about stuff before doing it, though)
Unread 4 Nov 2005, 01:47   #8
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
Enough reasoning provided I'd say. Close the thread and think about things before asking about them (why does this remind me on xontas? at least squishy is talking about stuff before doing it, though)
That's completely uncalled for. Squishy is thinking about alternatives to the current system that would benefit players who play (and fight) under the current exception rules, and also keeping the interests of the legitimate playing public at heart. It was an interesting solution to a perceived problem that would go some way to make it harder for cheating but not too much of a burden on the vast majority of players.

Squishy is a pretty clever bloke - and the reason why he suggested it was to gather the opinions of others (particularly those who use the system) in order to see whether it was a positive move.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2005, 02:51   #9
Heartless

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
That's completely uncalled for. Squishy is thinking about alternatives to the current system that would benefit players who play (and fight) under the current exception rules, and also keeping the interests of the legitimate playing public at heart. It was an interesting solution to a perceived problem that would go some way to make it harder for cheating but not too much of a burden on the vast majority of players.

Squishy is a pretty clever bloke - and the reason why he suggested it was to gather the opinions of others (particularly those who use the system) in order to see whether it was a positive move.
Wasn't it also Squishy who had this weird "no interaction" thread opened after end of r14? Sorry, but if he would actually think about the consequences his ideas would draw he would not even post things like this thread. The weaknesses have been pointed out by now, and they were so bloody obvious it's hard to believe he wanted to accept those weaknesses.
Unread 4 Nov 2005, 03:23   #10
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
Wasn't it also Squishy who had this weird "no interaction" thread opened after end of r14? Sorry, but if he would actually think about the consequences his ideas would draw he would not even post things like this thread. The weaknesses have been pointed out by now, and they were so bloody obvious it's hard to believe he wanted to accept those weaknesses.
Whilst that is true, i think having a zero tolerence multi hunter is alot better than one who is willing to allow everything to go on. Question Squishes methods/suggestions, but his motives are just.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2005, 10:27   #11
Squishy
Lost

The reason why i post 'silly' threads is that i dont use the exception system my self and probebly never will. But i am constantly trying to find ways to make sure their are less people abusing the system and make life easier for people using it.

If i think of ideas i like to put them to you the folks who actually use the system and have to make it work.

I dont want to alliantate people or make them use other forms out with the official exception system to log in from same computer/ip eg. VNC or proxys
I want to make life easier for you guys whilst making it more difficult for cheating. This was one of the ideas i had but without ever having a need to use the system i had no idea how it would affect game play for those involved so i posted here to gauge an opinion and to be perfectly honest 4 people replying doesnt say a whole lot about the community in general. Several people on IRC thought it was a marvelous idea. My self i dont know if it was a good idea or not. But it is an idea and im trying to better the game for you folks.

The last thing i want to do in this job is close innocent people. Its always a worry when doing Multihunting i aim to get the number of innocent people who are closed down to a minimum by putting forward ideas i have and trying to work around the people who use exceptions.

If you think my ideas suck then fine but how about some constructive critisysm how about you put forward some ideas about how we can improve the playability for people with exceptions but keeping cheating so its not really a viable option.
Unread 4 Nov 2005, 10:51   #12
Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy
The reason why i post 'silly' threads is that i dont use the exception system my self and probebly never will. But i am constantly trying to find ways to make sure their are less people abusing the system and make life easier for people using it.

If i think of ideas i like to put them to you the folks who actually use the system and have to make it work.

I dont want to alliantate people or make them use other forms out with the official exception system to log in from same computer/ip eg. VNC or proxys
I want to make life easier for you guys whilst making it more difficult for cheating. This was one of the ideas i had but without ever having a need to use the system i had no idea how it would affect game play for those involved so i posted here to gauge an opinion and to be perfectly honest 4 people replying doesnt say a whole lot about the community in general. Several people on IRC thought it was a marvelous idea. My self i dont know if it was a good idea or not. But it is an idea and im trying to better the game for you folks.

The last thing i want to do in this job is close innocent people. Its always a worry when doing Multihunting i aim to get the number of innocent people who are closed down to a minimum by putting forward ideas i have and trying to work around the people who use exceptions.

If you think my ideas suck then fine but how about some constructive critisysm how about you put forward some ideas about how we can improve the playability for people with exceptions but keeping cheating so its not really a viable option.
I never had to use the exception system either. It is blatantly obvious that people on an exception use it because they want to be legally playing from the same IP at the same time - for whatever reason. Disabling that option for them - in whatever way - forces them into usage of "illegal" tools or to quit playing; none of those are desirable. Yet both options are plain obvious if you take the time to think about it.

So you want constructive criticism. Well, I remember I wrote a posting on this forum once where I started laying out how an exception would need to be limited in order to satisfy the mh's goal and the user's goal. You will notice that a general limit of interaction for exceptions is pretty useless, as that is exactly what makes it exploitable. Carefully enforce different limitations for different interaction possibilities, and start with the examples I delivered in that posting ... now just let me find it (or talk to Appocomaster, he should know that posting).

Found the post here... Ironically it was also a reply to one of your suggestions squishy. Nice to see how much constructive criticisms are taken into account

Last edited by Heartless; 4 Nov 2005 at 10:59.
Heartless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2005, 11:13   #13
Squishy
Lost

You views were taken on board to a certain degree as you will no doupt see eventually.

And im pleased that you are dead opposed to the idea. To be honest i just wanted a reaction with some feed back. Wether positive or negative. Its why i posted it i didnt know if it was a good idea for players. Its a good idea for Multihunters but im no longer a player and cant guage if its good or bad from your point of view.

What i would like is a bit more feed back from others though i know heartless and kloopy are against it but how do others feel. If this was introduced it would mean that other limitations could be laxed quite significantly as the use of these to abuse would become overly difficult.