User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 20 Sep 2005, 16:30   #1
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute
A strange question....

Would you pay £5 for 2 rounds of 5 weeks long with research being slightly faster or would you say its not worth it due to round not being long enough?

Just a thought from something wakey mentioned in AD about wanting new ppl to stay for 2 rounds in a training alliance.

Just a curious question tbh nothing more.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2005, 16:41   #2
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: A strange question....

Yes, rounds last way to long on the whole, very few end to short, and tbh, if they did, whats the big problem?
We just start all over again.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2005, 16:51   #3
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Yes.

We don't really have enough players left to justify ten week rounds - the winners are usually decided in about half that time anyway. In the end we're just left with people idling out the final weeks with either a domanating planet that can't attack anyone or a shattered planet that can't hit the top ones.
Unread 20 Sep 2005, 16:56   #4
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and on a side note would it be preferred if this ws possible to have 2 5 week blocks for £5 that there was no havoc but a weekend break between instead with only slight changes in the next round.
Sort of more like a round 14-1 and round 14-2 for £5 then round 15-1 and 15-2 but round 15 being a bigger change in stats etc... and the normal longer 3 week break between round 14-2 to 15-1 and maybe a small havoc in round 14-2.

Unread 20 Sep 2005, 16:58   #5
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

I'd rather pay £2.50 for a 5-week round. I would pay £5 for two 5-week rounds if credits could be saved. That way I could play, say, two rounds per year and skip the ones that were at bad times for me.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2005, 17:03   #6
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I think it depends on the round tbh. Some rounds seem to need time to really get going but others burn themselves out pretty quickly.

An idea that came up on suggestions along this line was to have a longer round of around 12-14 weeks but rather than playing it as we do now it would be split into 2. You would play half a round and then winners would be declared. The game would then be down for a week before all our scores ect were reset and we would go at it again with our galaxies and alliances ect ect intact. At the end of the second half of the round we would then have

Winners of Part 1, Winners of Part 2 and then the combined score of the two rounds which is something I think would be intresting and would allow the rounds to be less intense and would mean that doing badly in the first half wouldnt restrict you to doing badly in the second half so would give you something to keep playing for
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2005, 17:04   #7
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to pick up and down the game a bit more easily like that. It'd be far less detrimental to, in general my life.
Unread 20 Sep 2005, 18:33   #8
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

I like the two-round overall-winner-from-combined-score idea. But a bit confusing to explain to new players perhaps. I think the biggest support query would be "Why are you resetting? I'm just starting to do well!!"
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2005, 18:39   #9
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloopy
I like the two-round overall-winner-from-combined-score idea. But a bit confusing to explain to new players perhaps. I think the biggest support query would be "Why are you resetting? I'm just starting to do well!!"
Or for new ppl "I have learnt a lot more how to play the game now would love to start again asap to put into practice my new skills rather than waiting for another 5 weeks. Being a n00b for another 5 weeks getting bored and bashed as the round starts to stagnate and forget about PA coz i couldnt be bothered waiting"

Or for Old ppl "Look at me doing well again \o/ bring on the next round coz i am gonna kick more butt again"

Dont worry kloopy it wasnt a suggestion it was just a question about how ppl feel about it.
PA survival is more important than anything atm.

Unread 20 Sep 2005, 19:09   #10
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

Hmm, you may well be right in fact. It's something I'd like to see seriously considered at some point. However at the moment I think all our efforts are going into bug fixing and testing ready for R15.
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2005, 15:02   #11
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloopy
Hmm, you may well be right in fact. It's something I'd like to see seriously considered at some point. However at the moment I think all our efforts are going into bug fixing and testing ready for R15.
Sounds like a plan

Unread 22 Sep 2005, 15:23   #12
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

imo all that this would change is you'd get a smaller playerbase and certain alliances would just play 1 round and skip the other..meaning you can't ever get a full playing field...

if an alliance would win 1 round they'd just quit the next and come back after etc... seems a bit pointless...
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2005, 15:51   #13
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

I like the fact that PA takes some time. Some researches could be a bit quicker, but other than that, I like it as it is now. Id probably pay for your alternative aswell tho

-J-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2005, 16:33   #14
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher
imo all that this would change is you'd get a smaller playerbase and certain alliances would just play 1 round and skip the other..meaning you can't ever get a full playing field...

if an alliance would win 1 round they'd just quit the next and come back after etc... seems a bit pointless...
We aint all exilition.

Unread 22 Sep 2005, 19:02   #15
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher

if you play just 5 week with your alliance you never 'win' - so why quit ?

and if you mean after 5+5 weeks - why ? what would be different to the current winners ?#

a problem that i see is that at the start of the 2nd period of a round all cords would be known and you have no chance if you won the 1st period as everyone will come after you early on (but maybe taht is a "wanted" effect of this system )

i wouldnt mind to try it out tbh ... sounds like a challenge for the alliances and makes the game more dynamic at same roundlenght.

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2005, 20:03   #16
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupp
if you play just 5 week with your alliance you never 'win' - so why quit ?

and if you mean after 5+5 weeks - why ? what would be different to the current winners ?#

a problem that i see is that at the start of the 2nd period of a round all cords would be known and you have no chance if you won the 1st period as everyone will come after you early on (but maybe taht is a "wanted" effect of this system )

i wouldnt mind to try it out tbh ... sounds like a challenge for the alliances and makes the game more dynamic at same roundlenght.
To add to this, certainly under the system I raised the grand winner would still be the best overall one. Winning one of the rounds would be a case of winning the battle not the war.

As for the issue you raised jupp, yes that could be a problem although it could also be an intresting twist and would give anyone who walks part 1 a challenge in part 2 rather than letting them walk it. However if you wanted to prevent this and Kloppy had time to code it you could force ruler and planetname changes and then shuffle the galaxies. Anyone who doesnt manually would be autorenamed
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2005, 21:23   #17
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Well I think the easiest way to test this theory is to do a split speed round. Speed rounds have in the past had two 12 hours periods of play, why not try making those two 12 hours periods independant with a restart in the middle, then have an overall winner? Would be interesting to see the results imo, and would give the players a chance to see how it would work.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2005, 23:00   #18
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
I'd rather pay £2.50 for a 5-week round. I would pay £5 for two 5-week rounds if credits could be saved. That way I could play, say, two rounds per year and skip the ones that were at bad times for me.
We have credits saved, I believe, since p2p was first started. Any credit bought is stored up against e-mail addresses etc until used in the future If people return from r7 and have credits left over, they can use them up now...
Unread 22 Sep 2005, 23:03   #19
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I quite like the idea of 5 week rounds. Keep the ticks at 1 per hour and halve the research time for all research (Heavy Cargo Transfers should maybe not be reduced by that much though).
Construction might be a problem though. The obvious solution would be to halve the amount of time it takes to complete a Construction but then you'll have people completing their structures in 5 or even 2 ticks. Perhaps to make up for this it should be possible to queue your constructions. Have maybe 1 or 2 queue slots, that way you don't have to wake up every couple of hours to do more constructions.

Jolt won't want to have transactions of lower than £5 due to the fees they have to pay but I don't think this is too much of a problem. Just have each credit worth half as much as they are now. So £5 would buy you 2 credits, £10 would buy you 6 credits, etc...

Should help attract new players too as the end game boredom won't be such a problem so freebies that sign up late in the round won't be put off by the lack of activity. They also won't have to wait weeks and weeks for the new round to start. I imagine that the current length of 10 weeks puts a lot of new people off.
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 00:11   #20
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

if i understood it correctly 1 credit would pay for the 1st and the 2nd 5 weeks of each round. So it's like round 16.1 and 16.2 where you have 1 account for 1 credit just that you have a reset and some modifications between x.1 and x.2 smth like a reset or whatever to give everything a new and fresh go.

Score is counted up in sort of "final ranks" that is made up of x.1 and x.2 score. so it would not make sense to just play one of both parts as they are pretty dependent on each other final-score wise

suggestions suggestions

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 11:05   #21
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
Would you pay £5 for 2 rounds of 5 weeks long with research being slightly faster or would you say its not worth it due to round not being long enough?

Just a thought from something wakey mentioned in AD about wanting new ppl to stay for 2 rounds in a training alliance.

Just a curious question tbh nothing more.
Paying for 2 rounds is a great idea imo..
To get new players really into this game...
So they can use their learned skills in the second round...

And that 2 half round ideas is also very nice imo, gives the game a twist..
So the losers of the first half can get on the winning side in the second..

I don't really see a bad side 2 this..

/me applauds
Unread 23 Sep 2005, 23:13   #22
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

I quite like this idea, would be nice to give it a go.
Unread 24 Sep 2005, 01:36   #23
Exode
W00f w00f w00f

Exode is just really niceExode is just really niceExode is just really niceExode is just really niceExode is just really nice

pay nothing and don't play.. I like it that way

Exode
Exode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2005, 07:16   #24
sigrid
hated dead or alive

sigrid is an unknown quantity at this point

id be up for that option always get bored after a while normally
sigrid is offline   Reply With Quote