User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 20 Sep 2007, 10:32   #1
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society
PA player burnout, how to prevent it?

So i did sign up a planet, allthough slightly late but I had a good day and was looking forward to some regular xp whoring, but then all my enthusiasm faded. I simply couldnt be assed to login, nor to bother doing anything with my planet. So my planet sits there (probably in c200 by now) paid for, but I dont feel like playing.

So this thread here feels abit like sitting at an AA meeting, struggling to stand up and say: Hi everyone, im Kargool and im a PA burnout.

I simply dont feel its fun anymore, all the hassle with logging in each night in order to do slightly good, and all the hassle with "caring" about your galaxy etc etc and trying to find an alliance to play for. Yes Mistwraith, i let you down, feel horrible but I simply dont feel motivated for playing. I cant even be bothered to login on irc

Anyone else who feels like this?

And does anyone have any tips or hints or simply some cheering up comments to rekindle the flame of PA love in me?
Unread 20 Sep 2007, 10:40   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: PA player burnout, how to prevent it?

Find an enemy.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2007, 10:47   #3
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Happened to me too.

Generally I think you need to feel that logging in will do something. If the rest of your alliance doesn't work out how you want it to (whether it's your fault or their's), then burnout is easy. Finding out you have to do almost everything yourself if you want it done properly is a quickfire way to burnout.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2007, 11:16   #4
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader

Rikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really nice

Start Scanning

<zhil|reportwrit> Rikard - I dont know you
<zhil|reportwrit> so you're insignificant

eXilition - LCH - Destiny - Conspiracy - Night Witches - eXcessum
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2007, 11:44   #5
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I actually sort of enjoy the intense activity of it all. I wouldn't do it round after round for the whole round every round but for a few weeks I find it all quite fun.
Unread 20 Sep 2007, 11:56   #6
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

I had the same problem which is why I don't play any more.

I played round 22 and really enjoyed it, I was active most nights & really went for it, I did reasonably well then tailed off as I went on holiday for the last week and a half

When round 23 came a long it was also time to start my 3rd year at uni, so I stopped on grounds of not failing my degree. I do have the time to play semi actively and probably hold a spot in a decent alliance, but like you, just can't be arsed with the repetition of it all.

I think it's an inevitable problem though. A game like Planetarion where round upon round it's all the same is going to have people tailing off doing it. Unlike an mmorpg where progression through the game is continuous, I think the fact everything gets reset and put back to zero is the demotivating issue.

Perhaps take a few rounds break then come back a fresh. When I left PA Team at the end of Round 20 I didn't want to play or do anything, but a break from it for a round made playing round 22 really enjoyable & I had a lot of fun. Perhaps I might give round 24 a chance when it comes around.

I don't think I've been too insightful on the subject, but it's how it seems to me, hope it helps :-)

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2007, 13:25   #7
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this a joke
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2007, 13:31   #8
DJet
Wearer of The Hat

DJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the rough

Do something within the game thats not really connected to actually playing the game, for example i look after ROCKs website and its tools (and for a time sorted out our intel, which was much more fun than the game itself!), which i can leave alone for a few days or work in intensely for a week if i want. Yes i still have an account ingame, but i could easily furfill my role without one thus i don't feel the pressure to do well and can enjoy the game more. I think if i tired to play seriously id burnout as well, but as i can step back for a few days and enjoy real-life it doesn't happen.
Unread 20 Sep 2007, 13:46   #9
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Cant say Ive had this problem tbh, need something to occupy my time while Im browsing the net anyhow :\

Only thing i could think of would be to do something different. Instead of playing seriously pick something like xan and fake\go for xp and try to play the game uncoventially(3 fleet att. alliance as xan ftl). Gave me a good round last round atleast
Unread 20 Sep 2007, 14:06   #10
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Funny, my solution to burn out has always been to back off how seriously I play, not find extra things to do. I've been playing this game since r1, and i still enjoy it. But I rarely play seriously, I never take an ally leadership position, and I have a core group of friends that I play with (not all in the same ally) that make every round fun and interesting. Between these factors I've never been burnt out with the regular game, but I can easily see how it can happen.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2007, 15:04   #11
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Be a man, go covert!

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2007, 23:28   #12
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
So i did sign up a planet, allthough slightly late but I had a good day and was looking forward to some regular xp whoring, but then all my enthusiasm faded. I simply couldnt be assed to login, nor to bother doing anything with my planet. So my planet sits there (probably in c200 by now) paid for, but I dont feel like playing.

So this thread here feels abit like sitting at an AA meeting, struggling to stand up and say: Hi everyone, im Kargool and im a PA burnout.

I simply dont feel its fun anymore, all the hassle with logging in each night in order to do slightly good, and all the hassle with "caring" about your galaxy etc etc and trying to find an alliance to play for. Yes Mistwraith, i let you down, feel horrible but I simply dont feel motivated for playing. I cant even be bothered to login on irc

Anyone else who feels like this?

And does anyone have any tips or hints or simply some cheering up comments to rekindle the flame of PA love in me?
dont feel horrid, i dont mind

from a POV of having many times i've hit *the wall* its wanting to be with the people around you that pushes you through the barrier .
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2007, 23:31   #13
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

well pa isnt fun anymore :/ think its general feeling most ppl got about it atm

robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2007, 23:31   #14
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

ohh and during round down time... taking it as a break, not an excuse to play havoc and actually sleeping at night
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2007, 12:12   #15
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Pace yourself and make sure you are ready for the intense periods

(Ascendancy)
Unread 22 Sep 2007, 13:10   #16
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by robban1
well pa isnt fun anymore :/ think its general feeling most ppl got about it atm
Its fun if you make it fun... these types of games are rather booring for real if there aint a good community and lots of battles (and flame) to make it interesting and worth to waste some time and sleep for it.

Anyway if the players and alliances are cabable to think a little more far than looking at their own noise and go for easy wins, I am sure its entertaining enough. Alltho its normal you get tired to some game after time, but we should make it fun enough, so people return to it once in a while

Attitude is everything.

PS. Kargool, try join some different group of people u usually do, that could be change enough to get some new motivation But best medicine is ofc to take some time of and return again when u feel like it.
Unread 23 Sep 2007, 12:42   #17
eltsin
zawze^asc

eltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really nice

I hit the wall in round 5. Came back in round 22. :<

I guess it's all about taking a break now and then. And for me, it's about playing together with some IRL friends and having fun :-)

- ZawZe
Unread 25 Sep 2007, 05:45   #18
rop1964
F Crew

rop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nice

kargool , i know how you feel...

since my first game in r13, my enthousiasm for planetarion dwindle round after round.. took round 15 and 17 off, tried to clear my mind and get motivated again.. but what dragged my spirit down in my case, was the constant bashing going on.. some may say it s unavoidable, other claim it s part of a war game.. but in my heart and mind.. it has no place..

and i must say i was getting tired of not sleeping and having the pressure of my alliance defense rest squarely on my shoulders night after night.. thought i love them very much (hi guys of f-crew :-) ! )

i m juggling with the idea of returning.. i came very close this round to do it..
but real life issues came up..

i guess pa need a good infusion of honor and maybe a slower pace.. the not sleeping does not help anyone.. and it take a lot to log on for nearly 18-20 hours a day to keep in the active bunch..

[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]uked
rop1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2007, 07:22   #19
DarkHeart

DarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really nice

at least 1 night a week (weekend) just set all your ships to prelaunch +11, then go out with your proper mates get leathered hook up with a girl jump on the good foot and do the bad thing all night and all morning till she's too shagged out for anymore, then when she goes home grab a radox bath and sleep the rest of the day.

Next morning you can come back to your account and it'll all be set up for you to do anything you want with it...you might have lost a couple of rocks in your downtime but everything else you've worked hard for is safe, and if your skilled enough to get PA burnout it certainly shouldn't take you long at all to get your rocks back (I went from sandmans most roided, to top roider in the space of 24 hours, as a solo player who works 9 hours a day...if I can do it anybody can)

For me it really i as simple as that....life...IRC... aint like the TV show friends where they always have something to talk about, you just end up talking the same ol crap and calling each other noob fags, it gets old fast....get out there enjoy yourself away from the game and then come back and brag to everybody about how you broke your bed shagging like a pornstar.

Best of luck, DarkHeart
DarkHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2007, 13:31   #20
Desse
Pr0nstar

Desse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud of

Just quit like the rest of us.

The game is stale, dull and boring.

Only thing people were playing for was to be online on IRC and talk to their friends.

Planetarion is dying. Pull the plug.

Another couple of rounds and the amount of players will be measured in 3 Digits.

Desse
Life is actually fun.

Ascendancy - While you were trying, we were sleeping

(@Karmulian) i deffo got roided looking at my planets
Desse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2007, 13:40   #21
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future

Watch porn while playing, makes things funny and you will be in better mood to do the PA stuff.

Actually, watch porn all the time and life will be great.

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2007, 21:04   #22
Gerbie2
Alive and kicking

Gerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to all

I only get burned out when there's more important/interesting things in rl. Like now. The game is not interesting. RL is.
I'm logging in every few days. Still not kicked, nor exiled.
Someone pm me plz. on IRC when the new rnd opens. I want to look at the stats to see if it's worth a try again. Or I wait for the next free rnd. I have some spare credits, but free rounds are just more interesting.
Gerbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2007, 06:12   #23
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

A few rounds off, without even chatting with pa-mates on irc might help, and make you realise how much you miss this game. Helped me atleast.

And if that don't help, you just have to face the fact that you have grown up

Last edited by Pilatus; 29 Sep 2007 at 06:54.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2007, 12:05   #24
HellKicker
Fook Yu
Cell-Out Champion

HellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the rough

Isn't this what we all feel the first 12-48 ticks of each round? Signing up is the hardest part of the round imo
Unread 30 Sep 2007, 04:22   #25
Furbie_Fanatic
Dinosaur

Furbie_Fanatic is a jewel in the roughFurbie_Fanatic is a jewel in the roughFurbie_Fanatic is a jewel in the roughFurbie_Fanatic is a jewel in the rough

Let us have a round of oldschool PA with no built-in tools like prelaunch, a big flashy red light telling you that your gal has incs (check manually fs). Maybe set ticks to 30mins to spice things up? Game is way too static now, it rewards inactivity too much. Only reason I'm still around is to play semiactively with friends, tho if we got a round like say r7 or r8 back I'd deffo play properly for once. And bring more of my old friends back too... my 2 cents.
If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.

Dont Trust Anyone!
Furbie_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2007, 11:04   #26
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

PA never rewards inactivity. It just places a ceiling from which point onwards it becomes less profitable to be more active. Which is good.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 11 Oct 2007, 21:41   #27
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellKicker
Isn't this what we all feel the first 12-48 ticks of each round? Signing up is the hardest part of the round imo
You spell your name, your email adress and things like that. Then you get a username with your password. If you need help after that, i might be able to help you out
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2007, 01:23   #28
Phil M

Phil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to bump an old thread, but the situation of quite a few people I know is similar to this thread. Some of the more dedicated people in my galaxy are burnt out and have no intentions of playing.

The problem? We all have a love-hate relationship with Planetarion. We love the strategy and the politics, they're some of the best parts of the game. We hate the fact that who scan stay awake the longest generally wins the game, it's certainly not the only factor but it's a huge one.

I'd guess that many players in the past were students who had a lot of free time for games like Planetarion, but now life has moved on and many of the same people have jobs. This is exactly how I started, I don't want to give up Planetarion because the game makes it so unrewarding if you play it casually.

People say that you should take a break for a few rounds, why? Must we have a burnout and rest cycle for players to enjoy themselves? I'd like a game which is fun to play throughout the year instead of short bursts where I end up hating it.

Is it possible to retain the skill in the game and still make it friendly towards people who have a life?
Phil M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2007, 01:52   #29
Bubert Samson
Come Closer, I Have Candy

Bubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the rough

I think it is, take last round, I was mostly only semi active because of work and other things I had to do in rl, and I finished in the top 100 (about rank 60 iirc). I think the game is just fine for casual players because of the tools and features that have been built in as long as you have the right strategy, and while that can take a long time to perfect and even attain, once it is there, there is no need to be as active as the most active players out there.

[ROCK] || Conspiracy Theory || Ascendancy

Rounds Played: 3-9 16-19 23-33

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
- Edgar Allan Poe
Bubert Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2007, 14:24   #30
Yama
Rockin' a beat.

Yama has a spectacular aura aboutYama has a spectacular aura about

It's rather simple: stop playing.

(and for the love of baby jesus, stop posting)

*bye now!*

Yama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2007, 22:16   #31
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of

I have some related advice: Whatever you do, when you get amazingly bored, don't just quit! Because people will hate you for that, just log in once a week, stay in the alliance tag, be completely useless, and everyone will keep loving you.

(eg Yama)
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 01:39   #32
Recluse

Recluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to all

lol, but Yama did send me def a few times there in the end

My advice is to not stop playing, but vary how you play. I went super serious this round, and had weeks of intense gameplay, which was ok, but gets tiring after a while. So next round I'll just go for a fun planet, screw around, 3 fleet attack, use SK's, etc, just have fun, and to hell with my roids. whole round of that, and I'll be ready to go serious again. Even pissing around in the lowly ranks can be fun, if for nothing else, than the ability to logoff and goto bed without having to worry at night

Saver of Sad

Supreme Commander of The Spider Colony
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 02:07   #33
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Change races as much as you can. They all use different playstyles.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2007, 16:51   #34
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt
I have some related advice: Whatever you do, when you get amazingly bored, don't just quit! Because people will hate you for that
Agreed, this is one of my pet hates - and I keep a list of players who do it so that I remember not to allow them to rejoin the alliance in future rounds.

Quitting for a good reason is totally different (of course).
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2007, 09:50   #35
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of

Which alliance is that then? I'll scrub them off my list for next round.
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2008, 04:50   #36
Metis

Metis is an unknown quantity at this point

Some reasonably good ideas:

1. Exit stage left.
Take a break for a few rounds. When you come back the rules will have changed some and there's a good chance the game will be new and interesting for you.

2. Play random.
Don't join your alliance -- just join the game. Meet new people (there are still a few out there to meet, and some of them can be good fun).

3. Start your planet mid-round.
Your galaxy will love you for trying, you won't have to start from ground zero and you'll get to play random anyway, so you'll either meet new people or accidentally wind up with people who you know.

4. Play Scanner.
Everyone loves the scanner. XP is choice, you can still be a fattie if you get your gal to support you, and you get to play random so you might wind up with new people that you like.

5. Build your Galaxy.
You can't win without your galaxy, so make it a point to build your galaxy instead of just your planet. Cross-def, exchange sms numbers, swap recipies, make your gal pic interesting ... the galaxy can be a lot of fun if done right.

6. Meet people.
It's remarkably easy to make friends on the network. But there is something missing when you never get to actually meet them. Being obsessive about a computer game can wreak havoc with one's rl social life -- so diversify and go travel a bit.

7. Talk to more girls.
There aren't many girls on the network, but they definitely make it more fun. Having a girl to go rescue is nearly as good as having an enemy to go clobber ...

8. Why settle?
Talk to more girls and make more enemies.

Heck -- talk to me, I'll be your enemy.

~Metis
Metis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2008, 18:32   #37
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Tip 3 is fantastic, I'd give my left arm for an active midround joiner (hypothetically speaking).