User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

View Poll Results: What should the alliance limit be in R16?
100 For everyone 49 13.46%
80 for the top 5, up to 100 for everyone else 73 20.05%
80 for everyone 48 13.19%
50 for everyone 134 36.81%
40 for the top 10, 50 for everyone else 54 14.84%
Other (please post it below!) 6 1.65%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 11 Dec 2005, 15:32   #1
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Alliance sizes for the free Round 16

In January we'll be opening signups for a free round (along with a couple of speedgames).
A lot has been said about alliance limits in some threads. While I know that many will be treating the free round as a slightly shorter normal round, I'd like to suggest that we see if smaller alliances will be more effective. So I thought I'd make a poll on it.

Clarification: This is the ~5 week free round between Christmas and the new PAN round.

Last edited by Appocomaster; 11 Dec 2005 at 16:04. Reason: :P NitinA
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 15:38   #2
Death666
Im Back :)

Death666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these parts
Re: Alliance sizes for free round

40 for the top 10, 50 for everyone else

This would be best so that people from the top alliances spread out

RD13 - IRON|APA
RD14 - APA
RD15 - InSomnia|Violent Saints HC
RD19 - Subh|ROCK
RD20 - Insurrection|Solo
RD21 - LOST|Subh
RD22 - Subh DC
RD30 - Redemption
Death666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 15:43   #3
B-Killa

B-Killa is an unknown quantity at this point

But still, wit all the nap, they always end up together, in a way.
B-Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 15:55   #4
hylands
The beertender

hylands is on a distinguished road

equal for all as atm the othe rjust recruit themselves into top 5
r14 Veneratio later vengeance
r15-r20Vengeance HC(r19-20)
r21 finally piece and quiet(round off)
r22 rehired at Vengeance as BC
r23 EXI scorp whore
r24 to 27 XVX
r27 to 31 Vengeance HC
r32 till now Tides of Vengeance spirit
hylands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 15:56   #5
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Aslong as you fix up the stats im good
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 16:07   #6
crazypyro
Sir WhoDaNanny

crazypyro can only hope to improve

65 for all would be ace
crazypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 16:25   #7
stubbsy

stubbsy will become famous soon enoughstubbsy will become famous soon enough

i would really like to see smaller alliances so you don't just end up with a load of idlers stuck in allys. but the only problem i can see is just a lot more naps forming. and they're damn boring
stubbsy
stubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 16:39   #8
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

I've voted 50, because I think that allows for a competetive field and (hopefully) a clear winner despite the length of the round.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 16:49   #9
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
I've voted 50, because I think that allows for a competetive field and (hopefully) a clear winner despite the length of the round.
Basically the same here. Even though there will of course just be more blocking etc ... I can't await PAN with promised fixes of that problem.
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 17:20   #10
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
Basically the same here. Even though there will of course just be more blocking etc ... I can't await PAN with promised fixes of that problem.
This round has lower member numbers than round 13, but a hell of a lot less blocking and a hell of a lot more fluid politics. Proof by counter-example, reducing the number of members per alliance will not necessarily increase the amount of blocking.

In fact, I can provide good reasoning that it will reduce the amount of blocking. For would not a reduced number of members per alliance, increase the number of alliances with a competetive set of members? And would this not increase the number of alliances in a position to sail out victorious? Would this not increase the number of alliances out there looking to shaft every other alliance? I say it would! And that alliances will not play lapdog to alliances they are looking to shaft!
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 17:52   #11
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

voted for 50, similar reason to heartless and jester

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 18:08   #12
DJet
Wearer of The Hat

DJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the rough

50 as it would give some of the smaller good alliances (like G-II and BIG) a decent chance, especially if they recruit some of the less active members from top alliances...

on a slightly different note galaxies of 20-30 with no outside-gal defence would be interesting...
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 18:41   #13
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
This round has lower member numbers than round 13, but a hell of a lot less blocking and a hell of a lot more fluid politics. Proof by counter-example, reducing the number of members per alliance will not necessarily increase the amount of blocking.

In fact, I can provide good reasoning that it will reduce the amount of blocking. For would not a reduced number of members per alliance, increase the number of alliances with a competetive set of members? And would this not increase the number of alliances in a position to sail out victorious? Would this not increase the number of alliances out there looking to shaft every other alliance? I say it would! And that alliances will not play lapdog to alliances they are looking to shaft!
I would love to agree with you, but you assume that there are actually enough people willed to play active roles in terms of being officers and doing the stuff like organizing defense/attacks/politics. I seriously doubt there are; more likely alliances will organize "satellites" which then play lapdog.
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 19:00   #14
SkyHead

SkyHead has a spectacular aura aboutSkyHead has a spectacular aura aboutSkyHead has a spectacular aura about

Voted alternative " Other ".

I'd like to see for this free round, not the regular alliances, but rather player created allies between friends, cross and mixed allies, only new made, would be cool to see the original alliances to some extent banned from this game, lets stir things up, lets make trouble, let PA become something out of the regular for 5 weeks. No longer ND, no longer 1up but rather SittingDucks(JK) and theEvuhlForce(jk) (player created allies, with other and new faces as HC, give the officer teams of the greater allies a chance to rest if they want, and if they want they could always make their own ally).

This gives rest to the ones who want it, more work for those who want it, but not at least it gives variation to the normal universe we're all used to seeing, and how cool wouldn't be if everyone would be considered allianceless at this point for that round?

Also this way, we'd all be looking forward to battle with our regular allies in the PAN system, not tired after a shorter round, but rather refreshed with the variety of play, also this could be a chance to bring other new allies to the game, aswell as giving chances to find out what they could do for themselves as officer\HCs of their own ally.

I'd suggest to cap the ally limit at 30, you might say the different sides will end up working together either way, but I have some arguments for 30, maybe some of you can bring the light upon my eyes why it should not be though, any thoughts\ideas about this post would be highly appreciated.

- With 30, its easier to make an ally - People that normally couldn't be arsed ( we all know PA players are teh lazy and rather follow their commanders ) maybe could get an finger out, and make their own allies. With 30 its not "to much" work, while at pr example I'd say rather that 50 it'd be ALOT of work, and people would be more tempted to "go with something" then try make of their own.

- You may say there will just be an teamup, and the politics would be stirred in the direction of different allies that would work together no matter what, though with only new allies in the game (we'd all still have our normal friends) but to some extent we'd see the universe very much reset and I'd like to see\hope\think that this would make the politics far more fluid in a very positive manner.

- The gathering of a good core - most alliances as of today originates from an earlier core, most quality alliances do, some consist of a variety of different cores. This may be the chance to get a very good and promising core together, and to work on an alliance for future rounds. Could the very next big ally be created in the free round? Who knows?

Just thoughts\ideas, but would be cool to see something different, not only the style of play, but also in the alliance area, this would give a round off, with new alliances created, and back to a new style of play, with the old allies, and hopefully new ones at that.

"Veni, Vidi, Dormivi" - I came, I saw, I slept.

Last edited by SkyHead; 11 Dec 2005 at 19:07.
SkyHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 19:23   #15
[G-II]PigmonkeY
McRib(TM)

[G-II]PigmonkeY is an unknown quantity at this point

smaller alliances = more alliances = more alliance wars = more fun!
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 20:03   #16
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

50 members FTW!
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 20:10   #17
KoRnFreaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
50 members FTW!
I agree with that!!
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 20:11   #18
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

No one has yet raised the issue of where new players will go, or how all these new alliances will be formed.
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 20:14   #19
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
No one has yet raised the issue of where new players will go
Hopefully they'll make new alliances. Build something they care about.

Quote:
or how all these new alliances will be formed.
Magic!
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 20:16   #20
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

I wouldn't mind seeing 50-member alliances (or even as small as 40). Would be quite fun I think and even the playfield. I can see many will disagree to this because of the fact that they will have to get rid of some members though.

But think about it. Much smaller alliances will lead to more fighting for the ranks, even high and low. There will be more wars in between alliances, not only blocks. Alliances will also be much more efficient miliary-wise.
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 20:19   #21
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

well, as said before, with only 50 members pr alliance it should be easier to build a new alliance.
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 20:19   #22
Appocomaster
PA Team

To phrase it better ()
"how are new players going to learn about the game if there's no room in alliances for them any more?"

"how are the command structures for all of the new alliances going to be formed, when the existing ones won't want to break apart"
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 20:23   #23
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
To phrase it better ()
"how are new players going to learn about the game if there's no room in alliances for them any more?"

"how are the command structures for all of the new alliances going to be formed, when the existing ones won't want to break apart"
Since I love replying with questions to another question: How is todays setup better for new players when the HC's have lesser time to each player.

A smaller alliance is easier to maintain, its easier to have internal relations and you can use more time on players.
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 20:25   #24
Appocomaster
PA Team

But you need people to run the alliance and people to help the new players. F-Crew, for example, have stated that with such a limit as 50 they can't take on very many new players
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 20:28   #25
Banned
Banned

Quote:
To phrase it better ()
They can start alliances of their own. Guess what, that's how all the best HC learned.

Quote:
I dunno. Whenever* I help found an alliance, it starts with a few people, usually 2-3, having the idea and doing the actual 'starting'. Command structure falls into place by itself, usually depending on who has a clue and who actually does stuff. Mileage may vary etc.

Your questions are really symptomatic of a PAteam that has absolutely contact with the game it runs. Sorry, but I can't help it if you guys have no idea what it's like to actually found an alliance.

* Ok, so this doesn't happen a lot. Counting on my fingers, I definitely can't count more than 5 off-hand, of which 3 turned into real alliances (Lux, Deus Ex Machina, Eclipse).
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 20:28   #26
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
To phrase it better ()

Just look into your heart Appocowocco, the answers are their.
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 20:29   #27
Banned
Banned

Quote:
But you need people to run the alliance and people to help the new players. F-Crew, for example, have stated that with such a limit as 50 they can't take on very many new players
Reason enough alone to limit alliances to 50 members.
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 20:31   #28
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Well, TGV for example took up 20 new players this round. I think that alot of alliances have some room for new players. The problem with the setup today is that if a player goes inactive its not very easy to follow him up when you for example have 5-10 others doing the same. Todays setup, I think actually gives the dedicated HC's lesser time to deal with all their members because they simply dont have time to help everyone.

When I logged on each day after being asleep (Yes, I do sleep at times) I had 6-7 pm waiting me with different questions. When I am online each day I get maybe 30-40 pm's about different stuff when it comes to handling the alliance. I dont have the time to answer and help everyone. With 50 members in an alliance you will have more time. Granted there will be lesser players, but thoose get a real contact with the HC of their alliance, and they also get more time to ask questions about strategy etc and the hc's are there to reply and help...

I would much rather have quality in the training I can give my members than having 20 people in a room, where I am telling everyone this is how they are gonna do it. Then most of the players will prolly end up with more questions than answers.

If you make a questionaire about why players quit planetarion, alot of people will prolly tell that it was because they didnt quite "get" the game. I belive that with smaller alliances, you will 1: create a more social and good atmosphere. 2: You will get a playerbase that knows that they have to do good to be in the alliance. 3: The odd chance for some "training wings" to appear will increase alot.
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 20:38   #29
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
To phrase it better ()

1. When people/gamers came to play Planetarion for the first time in r1, no one knew anything about the game. They used a simple method saying "learn-by-trying". Indeed it's harder to catch up with the ones that already have well-established, but getting into the game and learning its mechanisms won't take that long. I'm also sure other Planetarioners wouldn't mind helping them learn the game. This could in example be done through IRC or by making a new forum-part especially designed for newbies where they can ask about whatever they wonder about. I know for sure I wouldn't mind giving new players help to learn the game, both on IRC and through forum.

2. Something I've noticed the last few rounds is that experienced players is getting 'bored' playing with well-established alliances, so they join smaller "messed-up" alliances and helps them sorting themselves out. But I doubt that would help all the new alliances though. What about creating a new forum-part designed especially for new alliances aswell? There could be made basic guidelines on how to build up an alliance and how to run it. If that doesn't explain it well enough, then they could just ask in the same section. Another thing: Is the mentor-team still running? I don't know how much of a success it were/is, but could be an idea making a new mentor-team if(?) it was shut down. Almost no alliances will have success the first round playing, so by trying they will learn here aswell.
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 21:04   #30
Dotatrix

Dotatrix has a spectacular aura aboutDotatrix has a spectacular aura about

Voted for 50 because I think there should be some major changes to keep PA interesting. And when everybody has 50 it's equal to all.
R 14 [VsN] ---> [xVx]
R 15-17 [xVx]
R 18 [eXilition] Semi-retired half round
Dotatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 21:04   #31
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio
Just look into your heart Appocowocco, the answers are their.
<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
1. When people/gamers came to play Planetarion for the first time in r1, no one knew anything about the game. They used a simple method saying "learn-by-trying". Indeed it's harder to catch up with the ones that already have well-established, but getting into the game and learning its mechanisms won't take that long. I'm also sure other Planetarioners wouldn't mind helping them learn the game. This could in example be done through IRC or by making a new forum-part especially designed for newbies where they can ask about whatever they wonder about. I know for sure I wouldn't mind giving new players help to learn the game, both on IRC and through forum.
Yes, but now they're competing against others who know how to play, and have already established alliances. It often helps people get used to alliance structure and format to join alliances. I'm not sure how to best allow smaller people to learn in alliances, especially in a free round. The best I can come up with is the 40 -> 50 rule, for all alliances not in the top 10, but that doesn't really solve the problem
Also, we don't want to spend too much time modify the code but I guess we can emphasise the support link to get people to ask questions

Quote:
2. Something I've noticed the last few rounds is that experienced players is getting 'bored' playing with well-established alliances, so they join smaller "messed-up" alliances and helps them sorting themselves out. But I doubt that would help all the new alliances though. What about creating a new forum-part designed especially for new alliances aswell? There could be made basic guidelines on how to build up an alliance and how to run it. If that doesn't explain it well enough, then they could just ask in the same section. Another thing: Is the mentor-team still running? I don't know how much of a success it were/is, but could be an idea making a new mentor-team if(?) it was shut down. Almost no alliances will have success the first round playing, so by trying they will learn here aswell.
The mentor team merged into the support team over a year ago, I think (can check logs if it's really necessary). It wasn't much of a success as only a couple of alliances used it, and the two most important things in alliances are organisation and activity, and while you can help people with organisation, there's no way to sort out activity. Generally a couple of new players would want to form an alliance, and maybe get a few other people in who wanted defence for 2-3 hours online a day. Most alliances can't work from that sort of activity - though some of the bigger alliances support those players as they're experienced and have ability.
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 21:05   #32
Pinkerton
doo doo dah

Pinkerton can only hope to improve

To state the obvious, alliances are only good for mutual defense among members. Reducing numbers will just make it harder to defend themselves, which may lead to more of the out of alliance def rule breaking. If you see it fit to reduce membership you should also hardwire the game to limit defense capabilites to allaince mates and gal mates only (not cluster).
Pinkerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 21:35   #33
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkerton
To state the obvious, alliances are only good for mutual defense among members. Reducing numbers will just make it harder to defend themselves, which may lead to more of the out of alliance def rule breaking. If you see it fit to reduce membership you should also hardwire the game to limit defense capabilites to allaince mates and gal mates only (not cluster).
But there will be less people with incoming, thus fewer people will need to send defense...

(Not that your suggestion doesn't have any merit.)
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 21:55   #34
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkerton
Well-coordinated is also a part of the alliances. How can you expect to do good attacks without having an alliance supporting you (as in attacking the same galaxy etc)? And like Banned said, less members = less defense needed. Believe me, the smaller the alliances are, the easier it is to sort out defense for everyone if the alliances is under heavy attack.
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 21:56   #35
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

i voted for current setup, simply because i don't think reducing the alliance limit further will be good for the game. Getting a decent and dedicated command team to run a alliance is hard enough as it is, and by spreading players over more alliances that will only make things harder for alliances (specially the alliances who don't have a hardcore player base). Not to mention the obvious lack of support for less active/leet alliances who won't be able to compete anymore with higher numbers opposed to a small 'leet' core (the quality vs quantity difference will be gone).
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 22:10   #36
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Obviously having more smaller alliances will mean that the in-game alliance tools will need to be updated as fewer coders and folks willing to pay for servers to host alliance only websites will be available. Or you may have a situation where several "In-Game" alliances are really only 1 alliance on a seperate website. Each "Alliance" would really be nothing more than a battle group for the alliance. That would cover the cost for most of the current alliances and each battle group would be largely independant and considered an alliance "In-Game" especially with the new defending rules. Nothing will stop them from attacking together and the the smaller "Alliance" battles groups would have to defend themselves. This might make it easier for the larger alliances to really get organized by forcing them to have battlegroups that act as independant alliances. Flames below if I am way off-base here.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 22:12   #37
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
<Yes, but now they're competing against others who know how to play, and have already established alliances. It often helps people get used to alliance structure and format to join alliances. I'm not sure how to best allow smaller people to learn in alliances, especially in a free round. The best I can come up with is the 40 -> 50 rule, for all alliances not in the top 10, but that doesn't really solve the problem
Also, we don't want to spend too much time modify the code but I guess we can emphasise the support link to get people to ask questions
Of course they are competing against much more established alliances. But every new alliance is competing with much more established alliances, so there's not really anything new in that part other than there's just gonna be quite a few more of them.

What code do you need to modify in order to create a new section on the forums? I didn't mean you were gonna code anything new in the game, but make a new section here.

Quote:
The mentor team merged into the support team over a year ago, I think (can check logs if it's really necessary). It wasn't much of a success as only a couple of alliances used it, and the two most important things in alliances are organisation and activity, and while you can help people with organisation, there's no way to sort out activity. Generally a couple of new players would want to form an alliance, and maybe get a few other people in who wanted defence for 2-3 hours online a day. Most alliances can't work from that sort of activity - though some of the bigger alliances support those players as they're experienced and have ability.
What about making the mentor team doing follow-ups on all new alliances created(obivously not the 1 and 2-man alliances ofc), instead of waiting for them to come see the mentors? Like approaching them to make sure they have and know everything they need.

Activity is something all alliances have to work on.

Trying out a 40/50-size in r16 would be a good idea I think. Since the next round is free anyway there shouldn't be any problem testing new things and features. The free round will attract new players to come and play, so the "ask" for an alliance will be larger.
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 23:41   #38
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

-other-

Remove alliances in game, in other words -no limidt-

-1 eta for all def missions.

tata.

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 00:04   #39
LukeyLove
ND Ninja!
Trampoline Tricks 2 Champion

LukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to behold

Hmmm.. if your making smaller alliances then smaller gals are kinda a must.. i remember the dilema with 6:10 in R14.. couldnt take it out with 4 alliances of 100 people teamed.. and getting that many people would be an absolute mission if the alliance amounts were smaller..

RAWR!

~Love Luke, Love Life~
LukeyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 02:53   #40
Tazmaniandevil
Rion

Tazmaniandevil is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
To phrase it better ()

i think maybe you could set up noob alliances (basically to train the new players??)dont know if that idea is any good but it would help them understand he game a become better faster

Tazmaniandevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 04:35   #41
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future

50 for everyone... Actually... 30 or 40 could be good also - would be so much fun to have mini-BGs and alliances here and there again. Who knows if it'd work well or not, but I bet it'd be fun - I'll even join a ***** ally to help if need be. Also.... re: the HC thing, tbh eX only has one HC and we do well enough (heh)

R1-2 [VanX] - R3 [Legion] - R4 [Legion/Shogun/FORT] - R5-6 [WP/Shogun/FORT] - R7-8 [VsN] - R9-R9.5 [Seraphim/VsN]- R10-12 [WP] R13 [1up/eXilition] R14 [Orbit/scanner] R15 [eXilition] R16 [Orbit/scanner] R17 [Subh/scanner] R18 [eXilition] R19 [F-Crew/scanner] R20 [Orbit/Destiny/scanner] R21-22 [Orbit/scanner] R23-25 [In-gal-def-ho]
-Blue Moon- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 05:22   #42
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

Right i have read most of the thread but not it all so i appolagise if i step on some peoples toes (i dont have time to read it all just now)

Why not only have cluster alliances ban all other forms of alliance.

This free round will hopefully encourage more people to play PA so we should be aiming on getitng these poeple hooked asap. A cluster alliance will mean that the HCs of the current alliances can take a well earnd rest and set up things for the first round of PAN. And it will mean that everyone in the cluster has a chance at joining the alliance regardless of how big they are. Dont have any limit on cluster size but limit it only to people within that cluster (ie take away cluster -1 eta and only have alliance -1eta but only people in 1 cluster can join that alliance)

Not sure if im getting my points accros very well but im a bit rushed for time

If people are able to join an alliance then they are more likley to enjoy the game and to pay for the first round of PAN when it comes round.

To summerise.

Ban normall alliances and only allow cluster alliances but make them more formal by only giving them the eta bonus if they sign up in game. Dont have any size limits on them.

The cluster that can get over their internal differences the best will win the cluster that unites new and old people the best will win. Might bring a bit of unity to the player base while helping out the new folks

Hope this makes sense please let me know if it doesnt and i will edit it later this evening
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 07:14   #43
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy
Right i have read most of the thread but not it all so i appolagise if i step on some peoples toes (i dont have time to read it all just now)

This free round will hopefully encourage more people to play PA so we should be aiming on getitng these poeple hooked asap. A cluster alliance will mean that the HCs of the current alliances can take a well earnd rest and set up things for the first round of PAN. And it will mean that everyone in the cluster has a chance at joining the alliance regardless of how big they are. Dont have any limit on cluster size but limit it only to people within that cluster (ie take away cluster -1 eta and only have alliance -1eta but only people in 1 cluster can join that alliance)

Not sure if im getting my points accros very well but im a bit rushed for time

If people are able to join an alliance then they are more likley to enjoy the game and to pay for the first round of PAN when it comes round.

To summerise.

Ban normall alliances and only allow cluster alliances but make them more formal by only giving them the eta bonus if they sign up in game. Dont have any size limits on them.

The cluster that can get over their internal differences the best will win the cluster that unites new and old people the best will win. Might bring a bit of unity to the player base while helping out the new folks

Hope this makes sense please let me know if it doesnt and i will edit it later this evening
Yeah. they would love to join the next game after having a round with cluster alliances where everyone wants to be leaders, internal conflicts, noone cooperating etc etc etc.. That would inspire them alot to play more PA.

I dont think forced cluster alliances will work, and tbh, coming from one of the PA team I really start to wonder if the PA-crew has a grasp of the reality of this game at all.
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 08:32   #44
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy
The pervasiveness of assholes.
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 10:59   #45
lordbritain

i guess i can see were he is comming from tho !! there would be many internaly conflicts people wanting 2 be leaders incharge of this that !! but its good cos lall the nwe peopl;e will have a chance with out sum 1 who is a pro and has like 10x there size attack them !! summing for new people to learn and gain from id say its a 50/50 thing tbh !!
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 11:26   #46
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

I think that they should change the ways of alliances in 2 ways

1) Alliances named NewDawn, eXilition, Angels, LCH and 1up get a modifyer which increases there research, construction and production times by atleast 20% and can only cap 3% roids

2) Alliances going old school and a 200 member cap.

To be honest I've got no ****ing idea why your saying smaller alliances due to the upcoming round being free. In theory there will be more people so either we have 1 version of NewDawn or 6 versions of NewDawn (Using them as an example, I dont reckon they'll play next round due to doughnut shortages in Germany). Now do you REALLY want 6 NewDawns? Could we cope with more and more ReligFrees? Computer says no!
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 12:47   #47
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
To be honest I've got no ****ing idea why your saying smaller alliances due to the upcoming round being free.
It has nothing to do with the round being free.
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 13:07   #48
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Smaller alliances are going to be bad for the newer / smaller alliances. The likes of Orbit, G-II, and Rock will be affected. Let me show you how it will Banned so you can actually understand how a free round will affect things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Current Alliance Top 5, tick 1071
1 NewDawn 64052 80 3,329,574 266,365,934
2 eXilition 65178 80 3,185,018 254,801,482
3 Angels 58152 80 2,796,128 223,690,307
4 LCH 75961 76 2,740,341 208,265,978
5 1up 62521 78 2,497,527 194,807,117
This is the current alliance top 5 ranking. What would happen would be NewDawn would loose its 30 members to go to 50 players and then have a second 30 player alliance / battle group which would be the size of the smaller / medium sized alliances.

With more players coming into the game they might want to start there own alliances or go back to former alliances (I already know of 3 "Old School" alliances coming back for next round). If these get more than 50 players then people will start to make more and more alliances which wont do as well.

Also, with the new rules how will PA Team police the situation of alliances defending each other? For example, 1up, 2up and 3up could block together and they wouldnt take to kindly to each other being attacked; will PA Team be ready to step in? Indeed, will they even consider looking at it?

Planetarion has (unfortunatly) taken the path down the Alliance side and bending over backwards for them which now leads to this situation.
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 14:10   #49
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
Also, with the new rules how will PA Team police the situation of alliances defending each other? For example, 1up, 2up and 3up could block together and they wouldnt take to kindly to each other being attacked; will PA Team be ready to step in? Indeed, will they even consider looking at it?
Have you gone around and asked alliance leaders if they would do this? How many of them answered yes, they would?

Last edited by Banned; 12 Dec 2005 at 14:24.
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 14:13   #50
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Quote:
Have you gone around asked alliance leaders if they would do this? How many of them answered yes, they would?
Emphasis on FOR EXAMPLE