User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 30 Sep 2005, 16:19   #1
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about
Planetarion - The story

So after I read a bit in the planetarion movie thread and saw the sudgestion for a storie book I spent some time thinking about it and today in about an hour wrote up a light draft of how the universe as we know it in PA came into being which would sort of act as a prologue and I will be writing further on it/adding more details. Now I want to know what you all think of it, because this will just be free to the community when it's done, and I'll think up something else if everyone hates it So please fire away with sudgestions and critique. Remember this is just a draft and and just gives a rough idea.
The setting is some time in the far future when humans have expanded to thousands and thousands of different worlds and have also encountered 3 other species that have done the same. The problem being now that the universe is filling up and an intergalactic war is about to break loose between the races. If that were to happen the death toll would be unemaginably high, since the technology of each race is so far advanced they would wipe out all life on worlds one by one untill one of them had none left.
Not willing to let this happen a group representing different area's of the universe put together a plan to save countless of billions of lives, though still clearing out space and giving every one equel chances without the total destruction of most of the races. By the way the terans/xan etc are not all united, the colonisation of the worlds was so long ago that they are now they're own planets and cooperation is done bye groups of worlds close to eachother interracial (as in alien )

Planetarion: The story

The meetings had gone on for weeks with seemingly no end in sight. It was without question that something had to be done, but no-one could agree on what.
'What you're talking about is genocide, its madness!'
'Genocide will happen one way or another, if we do nothing within a number of weeks we will have an intergalactic war on our hands and then the death toll would be totally out of control and would reach numbers we can't even count. What we are talking about here is a controlled war where every planet would still have a fighting chance for survival.'
'No-one would be crazy enough to agree to this sick game, it's completely out of the question. I'm horrified by the mere thought that something like this could even be considered.'
'Ambassador, do you think the smaller worlds are looking forward to having planet destroyers hovering above their worlds, with no way to defend themselves? They would be the first to fall, without any chance what so ever of survival. This plan would even out the playing field for everyone and give them all an equal chance.
Depending on the number of planets participating we would decide that after a pre-determined amount of time the x number of strongest planets would be spared. If they do not co-operate they will all fall in the coming months. This would clear up hundreds of thousands of planets which could once again give us the space that we long for so much at the moment.
We will set up different ships for each of the races keeping intact their unique properties while balancing them out so that none are stronger than the others. The participating worlds will have to keep to a fixed set of rules and we, the superpowers in the universe, will be monitoring them to make sure it stays even and everyone has an equal chance.
Now I am aware the proximity advantages would be unfair so we will choose randomly an x amount of planets out of a galaxy that applied and within the same galaxy they must work together, the rest of the universe will then be their opponents.
To keep this all within an acceptable timeframe I propose we give them the most modern propulsion technology so they can reach other galaxies in a matter of hours. They will also be allowed to research further into the technology they have within set boundaries. The participating planets will be the small fringe worlds, considering the consequences if they choose not to participate I think you will agree they have very little choice but to agree on it. To then further determine who will get which planets representative’s generals off all races will be randomly put in control of one of the worlds participating, being however able to choose which race they wish to control, controlling the fleet movement, communication with other planets, etc. Whether they like it or not they will have to help each other to end as best as possible, and treachery would lead to their destruction.
Highly esteemed delegates, I lay before you the Planetarion project.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 16:29   #2
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about
Re: Planetarion - The story

Other possible scenerios would be that Planetarion is just the big war only not as advanced. Or follow the life of a PA player only slip in and out of his imagination, like when he's playing PA make it like he's really there, really a commander of a planet, but also then say him getting interupted to go down to dinner Thoughts on this would be apreciated.
<Zhil> I am HC
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Unread 30 Sep 2005, 18:26   #3
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

I like the idea of the "Planetarion Project". I like it lots. Where you'd go from there, I've no idea (due to my awful imagination) but the idea of PA being a decision based on protecting people for the greater good and to avoid a massacre of a small group of rebels is fantastic.
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 20:31   #4
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

I know that there were quite a few people who worked on portal, newsletter and planet101 (an independant portal which has since ceased to be) would probably be willing to help out on things like this. I think War was writing a planetarion novel at one point.

- chef

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 20:54   #5
[ND]Kar

[ND]Kar is just really nice[ND]Kar is just really nice[ND]Kar is just really nice[ND]Kar is just really nice

great idea! if done well this could turn out to be fantastic.
For me
And I'm Feeling Good
[ND]Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2005, 09:32   #6
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

another idea could be to write weekly stories about the game development and politics. Smth similar to the logbook lokken started but more regularly and less 'objective' in some short story format

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2005, 14:10   #7
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The idea of a story about a rounds progress but written in the style of fiction is something we used on the original newsletter. We ran a section where a player wrote a PA diary but as suggested above was done as if they really were the commander of a real planet. It can work well if you get the right planet to write it, but get the wrong planet and it could be fairly boring.

As for the whole idea of writing fiction stories about the PA universe there was a discussion about this before and the problem that people saw is consistancy, both between peices and the real universe.

The first thing you need to decide is should people be able to write stories taking place in the game or should all stories be prequels the round 1. Taking the prequel route is easier as you can ignore all the alliances and such like so staying consistant with the game we are playing is simplier. However if stories take place in the playing enviorment then you have issues, allaicne power for that period needs to be consistant and you cant have alliances battling that werent around then. Its going to really need the community to tie down the facts of the rounds to help the writers build their stories around the facts.

Another issue you will have to deal with is why certain changes happened,how do you explain suddenly all these races appearing and such like.Some official explanation would have to be come up with that everyone would use rather than have each person come up with their own

Even prequel stories are going to need community work to get certain facts tied down for some consistancy so certain key events are defined and abided by

Also as important as anrything, all authors will have to work with each other so they dont contridict each other and they have to be aware of events others have written about. Perhaps someone could maintain a timeline or something to aid with this.

If things can keep consistant a good extended universe can be produced, just look at the way that Star Wars has produced sucha string extended universe outside the movies with alot of that being due to a real attempt to keep things consistant which prevents confusion. After all its not good to read something which contridcts real events or read a number of peices and find them all writing about differnt universes
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2005, 17:04   #8
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

First of all it doesn't have to be completely concistant, it's a work of fiction based around the PA universe. Now I'm planning to keep alliance wars etc for the different rounds as acurate as possible and will talk to some people about that who were around then. But the origin of the species I don't think would have to an official PA unanimous thing, it's just a small detail which has little effect on anything else, the fact is they are just there.
<Zhil> I am HC

Unread 1 Oct 2005, 19:08   #9
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

i can see both sides of this discussion... i personally enjoyed writing PA fictiton but i never kept it round specific. I personally think it would definetly be much easier to write pre-round 1 material for accuracies sake. After all there are plenty of people who (even tho its fiction) would be willing to have a dig about inaccuracies.

- chef

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Unread 2 Oct 2005, 00:48   #10
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Treet
First of all it doesn't have to be completely concistant, it's a work of fiction based around the PA universe. Now I'm planning to keep alliance wars etc for the different rounds as acurate as possible and will talk to some people about that who were around then. But the origin of the species I don't think would have to an official PA unanimous thing, it's just a small detail which has little effect on anything else, the fact is they are just there.
Yes in theory it doesnt have to but if we use the Star Wars Extended universe as an example again its the consistancy that makes these stories feel like they belong and that they really add to core element. If we look at any fiction done in the PA universe before while much is very well written it doesnt always feel like it belongs, its seems like a peice of Science Fiction that was written previously and then had a couple of PA References thrown in for the sake of it. When you then read multiple peices of fiction its just a mess as the continutity is shot and if anything it destroys the illusion of reality and the sense of depth that the fiction should be bringing to the universe

Done right I really do think that Planetarion Fiction is something that really can enhance the gaming experiance but done wrong you end up with a peice of bad scifi forced into a setting for the sake of it. If your writing these peices without any real intention to add some depth to the game you would probally be alot better starting a fresh canvas with a universe conconcted soley by you that you full control over.

Now writings not my strong point but if it was me id be laying the foundations with an Origin Story for each race which would lay the groundwork for everyone else to base their peices off. The elements in this would be extreamly important so oy would probally be best to have a group of people you would work with on facts and maybe even somene with an artistic talent to produce corrisponding artwork to really bring ideas to life. The origin stories would obviously need to to go up to a point where the 'war' we call Planetarion was about to kick off and would set in place events which set that race on collision course with the others and also setup detailed desciptions of the races which would provide the framework for people to produce other stories on the universe. These stories all abiding by the origin story facts and all trying to be as consistant as possible with each other would slowly build up the mythology of the races and add some depth to the game and as the universe expands from these stories more and more doorways would be opened for interconnected events to be told about thus adding more and more depth. And yes continuity will sometimes fall down, it does in any mass universe made up and which multiple sources contribute to but it would be alot less contridictory than it is
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 2 Oct 2005, 02:26   #11
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

I get where you're getting it, and I once started on creating a made up universe together with a friend from the ground up with all the details etc exactly how it got there from present day etc. which was going to be say a framework, like the Starwars universe around which you could write books. But that is soooooo much work, and the prob is with say based on PA if rest of community doesn't agree with it you're screwed

It might be an idea for the PA team to set up an official brief explination that everyone could work around then.
<Zhil> I am HC

Unread 2 Oct 2005, 11:49   #12
wakey
Hamster

I personally think from a creative pov the ideas would be better coming from the community itself HOWEVER it will need some PATeam involvement.

I would suggest a PATeam member is appointed in a Continuity/Historian role. Their job would be to make the decisions on what would become official extended universe material and what wouldnt and would be responsable for maintaining a publically viewable timeline for fiction writers to refer to. They would also be the person to go to if you needed clairification on something. They may potentially need to also put together a team to help them out.

So lets say you wrote a story on how Terrans came to be at war with the other races and by doing so explain the lack of races in the early rounds You would submit it to this PATeam member and they would either accept or decline it (A decline should come with a list of things needed fixed to get it accepted). Upon being accepted the key elements of the story such as battles would be placed into the timeline and the story then published somewhere official (perfeably somewhere linked ingame) allowing others to refer to it.

With or without this PATeam involvement though I still think the community has enough creative people to maintain the continuity and if its tken with small steps it shouldnt be that hard to get things locked down. For example a simple but important aspect is going to be the date reference. How far in the future are we currently, when was round 1 and are dates going to be done in Earth Years or are we going to come up with a Star Trek style date system that would be constant. One this issues are sorted you already have the framwrk to start putting extended events in place
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 2 Oct 2005, 16:05   #13
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

Does anyone remember Irons from the original Planetarion (round 1)? He was writing an official Planetarion novel that was eventually available to read on the original portal. But once he left PAcrew and PA obviously he never finished it. I think he got about 12 chapters done though.

I seem to recall it was actually written to a pretty decent standard and quality. I dont remember much about the plot though. The problem is, of course, how do we fit races into this? Races didnt come in unti round 6, but this story was started in round 1 or 2.

Does anyone know what happened to that old aborted PA novel?
Unread 2 Oct 2005, 19:22   #14
Chef!
Domestic Diva

i remember Irons however i do not think he is contactable anymore... however some of the oldies (wakey, Mer, or A2 would probably be good to ask) may still be able to get in touch with him. Unfortunatly i doubt that anyone will still have a copy of it except for irons of course as i doubt that the portal backups have been kept from that long ago. However if not spinner or one of the current team may have them. If this was to take off as a project with a little team working on it i'd love to get involved!

- chef

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Last edited by Chef!; 2 Oct 2005 at 19:27.
Unread 2 Oct 2005, 20:18   #15
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

Writing is something I count among my few skills, so I'd be happy to help out too - though I'm not great

I remember I used to talk to Irons a lot when the newsletter started up, I think he was providing some suggestions for my own PA story.
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 23:40   #16
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

In order to keep consistant with the rounds progression and official PA story from r13 about races I put up a new possible rough history from r1-6. Again this is just a short version/draft.

PA History

We expanded into space, that which had been dreamed of for as long as humans can remember had become a reality. Like gods we were, or so we thought. After centauries apart we lost our ties, our unity, and as history has shown us so many times greed is an enemy that can never be overcome. The discovery that recourses could be mined out of asteroids had lead to a race to have the most. But once it started to become unproductive to search for the few that still lingered out there we turned on each other.
After a lot of small skirmishes groups started to form, with strength in number and being able to call in defence, the war escaladed out of all proportion. Hoping to gain more asteroids groups of planets would attack together and defend each other trusting they would be provided defence when attacked.
After the first great war (round) there were a number of established alliances between the planets, each having their own goals and expectations of their members. Realising in order to safeguard their planet they would also have to enter the wars many more planets signed up to the alliances and many more alliances were formed.
Planets back then typically either focussed on very well armoured ships, or spend time researching into ways to reflect the scans to retrieve fleet information to do surprise attacks on others.
Many wars followed with times in between in which the universe usually evened out in strength once more.

It was between two of the great wars we discovered something which before we had only imagined possible and almost forsaken the idea entirely, life besides us in the universe! After the initial excitement we soon learned this would in no way be a joyful meeting. After some of the strongest planets fell to the Cathaar we realised that our current ships were useless against them. They utilised powerful EMP cannons that would disable our ships before we could even shoot.
Dropping the now far to lowly armoured stealth fleets we found ways to make ourselves more resistant to the Cathaar, armouring our massive ships with layers and layers of armour we now had a fighting chance. Some thought that this would once again unite the Teran race, but it was not to be.
Through the Cathaar we also learned of the xandathrii and zikonians which had been at war with each other for a long time already, and they, through the Cathaar, had learned about us as well. Now all the races seeing the opportunities at hand to have roids from different races who’s ships had weaknesses to theirs it didn’t take long for the next great war to break loose.
Seeing the ‘price they’d have to pay’ (pun on the pay to play introduction) many planets decided to pull out of the war and continue on their own with the recourses found on their own planets.
Soon inter racial alliances talks were underway, all sides seeing the advantage of combining the different strengths of each others fleets to further empower themselves and once again the universe stood on the brink of a great war.
<Zhil> I am HC

Unread 6 Oct 2005, 06:20   #17
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

My story rocked.

It had spikey armoued evil Fury who subjugated people.

It had religious overtones with the Emperor/God for Fury which clashed with beliefs for Legion. As a result Fury hated psykers which were is where I placed Xanadu and the entire Fury-Xanadu war. However Fury was fine to use psykers as they were approved by their Emperor and so forth - it just didnt like others having them.

It had Legion being massive muscular men who had great strength/stamina and were clad in fullplate power armour - contrasting with the slender more normal men of Fury.

It had Yeh as a crazy man who wanted control, control and more control - linking himself into machines and hatching a plot to destroy Sid and take control of Fury followed quickly by Legion and even had him working with Xanadu (which he planned on wiping out afterwards ofcourse)

It had LDK as organic/machine hybrids that were lethal and essentially 'demons' to the Fury population.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2006, 03:58   #18
Rokk3000

Rokk3000 will become famous soon enoughRokk3000 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef!
i remember Irons however i do not think he is contactable anymore... however some of the oldies (wakey, Mer, or A2 would probably be good to ask) may still be able to get in touch with him. Unfortunatly i doubt that anyone will still have a copy of it except for irons of course as i doubt that the portal backups have been kept from that long ago. However if not spinner or one of the current team may have them. If this was to take off as a project with a little team working on it i'd love to get involved!

- chef
I have all thirteen chapters of Irons' story, which I really enjoyed when he wrote it back in 2000-2001. I don't think he ever wrote more than the thirteen chapters, unfortunately.
Rokk3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2006, 22:06   #19
Rokk3000

Chapter 1: Planetarion - Ascension
by Irons Nov 6 2000 3:20AM

He was overcome; the dark seemed to flow like liquid,
filling his vision wherever he turned. A cold
nothingness that chilled him to the bone, and refused
to dissipate even though he knew this wasn't - couldn't
be happening - The steady drumbeat of
his heart was the only sound he could hear, and with
every breath, seemed to increase in speed threatening
to burst from his chest and vanish into the night.

Realisation dawned on him when he saw the small
silver dart flickering at the edge of his vision and
turning his head slightly, he could clearly see the
approaching vessel as it moved sluggishly towards him.

The Eon Energy Commission logo emblazoned in metallic
red become visible and after what seemed like an
eternity, the craft gently drew parallel to him,
seeming to beckon him...no, dare him to come closer.
'Something must have gone wrong with the Neurimplants'
he told himself. 'How the hell could I be out here and
not realise how it had happened?'

He tried to fathom out the logic of his situation,
and the only thing he could come up with was that he
must have had a breakdown. Yes that was it, a
breakdown, no one would have questioned his authority,
he must have taken a shuttle, and in some fit of
madness decided to take an unprecedented space-walk.
This was obviously the rescue ship, someone must have
realised he wasn't himself and sent for help. At least
all of his men were not as incompetent as they seemed.

He relaxed slightly and made his way ever so slowly
towards the craft. Finally reaching it, he waited for
the airlock to open. After several long minutes, the
nervous anxiety started to creep up on him again. 'What
was going on? Why weren't they opening the damn door?'
He worked his way round to the front of the craft, and
headed for the small observation port. Perhaps there
was some problem with the door mechanism, he would have
to attract the occupants attention some other way'.

Reaching the small circular Plexiglas screen he
peered through and fell back in horror, a scream locked
in his throat! Staring back from the ships interior he
saw himself, lifeless, stripped to the waist, and the
word 'Traitor' savagely carved into his
chest -

Last edited by Rokk3000; 3 Mar 2006 at 22:11.
Unread 4 Mar 2006, 21:25   #20
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future

I had a few ideas about wirting PA history and have them back in mind. I must confess i intended for using for roleplaying games I thought about including elements of the game itself with political history. i dont have anything ready but some of my ideas can be put here:

- i was thinking about background history, following political events of the rounds and mixing with fantasy. Before the coming of the alliances, the races had merchant houses dominated only by their races. The events happening on round beta made races mix and divide in the universe, creating merchant houses with mixed races and planets called then "Alliances". The event who created this sittuation was the creation of the first ally, created by pirates and outlaws from various races on the border.

- With the first Alliances, the wars begin and the rounds.

- I was thinking on major event who made Legion/Xanadu/others leave on round 8. Since "became p2p" wont fit well, i thought when they took some unknown planets on the border of known universe they made contact wih some alien techie who made them ant to leave to far away universe. the houses who were lef behind dont know what made major allies leave planets and resources to go away

i had better ideas but tbh im not on the right place to write about it atm. Good to know more ppl are thingking about writing PA cos i will do the same and soon we could share some small novels to be posted here or somewhere. I have seen this work otherplaces

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2006, 16:50   #21
Rokk3000

Here's the second chapter of Iron's excellent story.

Chapter 2: Orders
'The Time is 4:00 Am Mr Winters. Please report to
operations for briefing'

He lay back on the sweat soaked sheets and tried to
stop himself shaking. 'Another bloody nightmare,
dammit!' Having a conscience was becoming a problem it
seemed. 'Maybe I should have a word with the Doc's, see
if they can give me a suppressant'

He realised he was talking to himself after a few
minutes; the left hand side of the bed was empty. So
she'd actually stuck to her word for a change, she
hadn t come back. 'Well' he sneered. That was just fine
by him, she'd get exactly what she deserved very soon
the ungrateful bitch!

Thirty minutes later he was ready. Meticulous in his
EEC uniform, the evening's stubble removed from his
craggy face, and brought to his senses by a vigorous
sonic shower, he gulped down the remnants of his coffee
substitute. He glanced at his own reflection in the
tinted window of his apartment, and let out a brief
involuntary shudder at the previous nights memories.
'Mr Winters, Operations requires your presence
immediately.' The intercom system crackled and was
silent.

'I'm coming for Friks sake!' He punched the door
release panel and angrily strode into the well-lit
corridor. Colonel Tyr Winters headed for Operations,
and towards a new future. 'Things are gonna be so much
better' he thought, all traces of the dream
completely forgotten.

Last edited by Rokk3000; 6 Mar 2006 at 16:58.
Unread 6 Mar 2006, 16:54   #22
Rokk3000

And chapter 3 as well, while I'm at it

Chapter 3: 'Angie'
The rain hammered down outside, she watched it
bounce off the empty walkways, like she had done when
she was thirteen, hypnotised by the staccato sound it
made on the plastic window pane. She loved storms back
then, sitting in her mothers bedroom, watching the
forks of lightening flash across the ominous looking
clouds, inside she felt safe, warmed by the blanket she
caressed, and when it was over, a cup of warm cocoa and
she would head back to bed, and dream it all over again.

That was then, 32 years ago, today the rain still
came, and the lightening, but she knew that the storm
brewing just around the corner was one she could not
hide away from by simply climbing under the covers. She
was privy to information that gave her sleepless nights,
and had done so for over a year now.

She sighed, the office was a mess, paperwork
scattered over the desk in some semblance of organised
chaos. It was a hard life being a Planetary Peace
official, but it was something she had aimed for all
through her academic career, and now she was here,
leading the bloody thing. Angela Kryzek, Angie to
people who got close enough to know the real her, sat
down in the comfortable leather chair and leaned back
trying to remember the last time she'd had a break,
hell even a day off. No wonder her marriage was on the
cards, how in Gods name were you supposed to keep up
your nuptial vows when you were wed to two things, a
disgraced husband and the 24 hour a day charade she
called a job.

'Ah to hell with it for one night least' she sighed
and brushed a few loose strands of auburn hair from her
face. 'I need a decent nights sleep before I collapse
here.'

Wearily she rose from the chair and closed the
shutters , shrouding the room in darkness. Grabbing her
'standard issue' grey overcoat she headed for the door.
The incident
Halfway down subsection 2b, she stopped. 'Aww no'
She checked her left breast pocket. 'I knew it, my damn
chem. mask' She turned and began to stride angrily back
down the corridor towards her office cursing inwardly.
She was still cursing her forgetfulness as she turned
left into the Officials corridor just in time to witness
the door to her office explode outwards with a deafening roar!

Then the shockwave hit, slammed her into the wall,
and she silently slid to the floor, an angry gash on
the side of her face. The klaxon alerts began to fade
into a dull throbbing and she could feel water from the
sprinkler systems splash onto her face just before she
lapsed into oblivion.
Unread 7 Mar 2006, 17:28   #23
Rokk3000

Chapter 4: Prelude to Evacuation

Tyr strolled into the bustling hall and sat down,
the air was alive with hurried nervous whispers that
drew to an abrupt halt as a striking figure made his
way into the room.

'Mr Winters, I'm so glad you could find the time to
join our little ensemble. 'I was beginning to think you
had lost your way.' Tyr sighed. 'I apologise, General
Kreer, I had some small matters to attend to before I
arrived.' 'Then I suggest you take a note to do it in
you own time, Colonel, we have much to discuss and very
little time in which to do it!'

Midas Kreer was a hulking figure of a man, time
served in the military, he had seen more than his fair
share of front line action, and the scar stretching
from his right eye to the corner of his mouth
emphasised the fact. He wore a constant snarl on his
face that served as a permanent mask, hiding his real
feelings making him a very difficult person to read in
a one on one meeting. The conference room was awash
with blue as the holo-emitters hummed into life, and as
the sunken lights in the low hung ceiling dimmed, a
rotating model of the earth fizzed into existence at
the centre of the onyx desk.

'Gentlemen' Kreer announced grabbing the room's
attention once more. 'As many of you are now aware,
Evacuation day is almost upon us. A culmination of our
efforts over the past year and a half is almost at its
pinnacle and we are ready to initiate the
final phase of the operation.'

Kreer stood back, hands clasped behind him at the
foot of the table as the applause rang round the hall,
he cleared his throat loudly and waited for the
outburst to die. In a steady steel hardened tone he
continued. 'In three weeks time we will conduct the
first commercial E-Jump to a designated sector just
beyond the Obsidean Nebula. There we will target a
small 'R' class planetoid and Terraform Nanites will bombard it. This
will take place exactly 5 hours from arrival, providing
the Tech Division have their maths correct, and a
further 72 hours later we will have a suitable
environment from which to establish Waypoint
Colony Alpha.' He paused briefly and his face hardened,
his voice taking on an icy tone. 'If we do not have our
calculations correct, then we will be looking for a new
Tech Division.'

An uneasy murmur went round the left hand side of
the conference table, Paulo Jefferson, a small
spectacled man raised his voice. 'I assure you General,
everything is in readiness. The testing so far has been
flawless, and with the modifications we
have made to our existing space-faring vehicles we
should be..' He corrected himself hurriedly. '..we will
be 100 percent successful.'

Kreer eyed the man with a cold unblinking stare 'I
hope so for your sakes. We have placed enough
unwarranted trust in fools that have let us down
recently, isn't that right Mr Winters ?' Tyr nodded and
barely managed to keep the expletives from
escaping.

'Now I believe, Colonel Winters, that you have
something of a demonstration to offer? If you would be
so kind as to give the rest of the group some
indication of what exactly we have planned three weeks
from today.' Tyr stood up, his moment had arrived,
another step forward in his dream was about to become
reality, he brushed himself down quickly and prepared
to address the group.
Unread 11 Mar 2006, 23:50   #24
Rokk3000

Chapter 5: Prophecy
Floating, she was everywhere and nowhere. So this
was it? Death? A little bit of a let down after all
she'd been led to believe, no sense of tranquillity,
just a dull numbness, but at least there was no pain
which relieved her immensely as hurting,
she thought, generally went hand in hand with being hit
in the face with a large explosion.

How long had she been here? There was no way of
telling, it seemed like an age but could have been only
a few minutes. Trying to focus on the swirling grey
nothingness was proving uneventful, she had almost
resigned herself to giving up when she felt
something shift beneath her. There was a gentle
tugging, not at any specific area of her body, more at
her very existence, she felt strangely light headed,
then the world somersaulted out of reality in a flash
of negativity and suddenly....

....Everything! Her mind nearly folded in on itself
threatening to be crushed by the amount of information
she was taking in. She could see everywhere all at the
same time, nearly drowning in a myriad of sights and
colours she stifled a gasp!

There were planets, hundreds of thousands of them,
she could see each one clearly, and on each one a
community, men, women and children living together in
harmony. Time spiralled forward and the adults died,
and the children reached maturity before her eyes, she
was witnessing the rise of new civilizations in
seconds, and then abruptly it stopped. She felt fear, a
latent primal instinct surfacing within herself that
she had never experienced before. The worlds were
running in real time now, and she could see through a
billion eyes staring skyward at something happening in the
heavens.

Clouds were forming, thick black ugly clouds
seething and boiling in the upper atmospheres, they
stretched and contorted unbelievably quickly blotting
out any light from neighbouring suns. The planets were
all shrouded in darkness, and then it
began.

It started as a high pitched whine, that grew until
her ears felt like they would bleed while at the heart
of each of the clouds, a fiery red glow burned like a
single eye, its intensity increasing with every moment.
She suddenly felt detached from everything around her,
but could do little to tear her gaze away, as the
clouds themselves seemed to explode, and sweep
downwards in a wave of superheated plasma, she heard
the worlds cry out and then nothing.

She looked and saw thousands of dead planets, all
she wanted to do was cry, but couldn't find the energy
to let out anything more than a sob. Closing her eyes
to the sights, she felt a presence enshroud her, then
through the absolute silence a clear
voice whispered......remember.
------------------

Chapter 6
The reception area of the South side Class 1 medical
facility was awash with frantic voices, the occasional
sob and raised tempers. It was a madhouse and he was in
the middle of it struggling to get out.

Marc Kryzek fought his way to the reception area,
sealed off from the rest of the ensuing chaos behind
thick set blast proof screens several women all in
their mid forties tapped feverishly into their VDU
consoles while trying to talk and calm angst
riddled citizens seeking information with regards to
their loved ones.

He pushed the intercom switch and a dark haired
orderly with cold eyes and a scowl that could curdle
milk looked up at him. 'Yes sir, how can I be of
assistance?'

'I'm here to see my wife, Angela Krychek she was
brought in about 8 hours ago and no-one will tell me
what the hell is going on, I'd like some answers.
'I see sir, your name and designated class please?'
she answered in an uninterested tone.

He knew this was going to be difficult, his
temperament was already way in the red.The last thing
he needed was a snotty 25 thousand credits a year
receptionist giving him a hard time. 'I already told
you, I'm her husband, Marc Kryzek, Class 2, now can
you please stop wasting my time with all this 20
questions crap, and let me see her.'

'Mr Kryzek', she replied un-phased by his raised
voice. I'm aware that you are upset and worried, but
due to the restrictions imposed by the PPC you must
understand that I cannot allow any second class
citizens into the facility compound but if -'

'Well, this is great!' He shouted, 'My wife could be
dying back there, and all you can do is throw your
badly rehearsed political speeches at me, I want to see
somebody now!

He was still shouting when a shrill voice piped up
behind him. 'Ahem, Mr Kryzek? I believe I may be able
to offer some small insight into your wife's status if
you would be so kind as to stop threatening the staff.
Its making the enforcers a little - shall we say -
restless?'

Marc glanced over at the entrance points, two black
clad EEC officers stood motionless but staring
nonetheless in his general direction. 'Ok, point taken,
I just want some damn answers'

'If you'll be so kind as to join me then, we'll
discuss a little of what we know' and smiling sickly he
pointed to a nearby vacant bench. Grudgingly Marc
followed the impish looking man over to the seats and
sat down next to him.

'My name is Jacobson, I was overseeing your wife's
condition in the first few vital hours when she was
admitted. Now she is in no real danger at the moment,
but we did have cause for concern some hours ago, her
brain activity was unstable for an while but that seems
to have subsided for now.'

'Is she awake yet ?'

'I'm afraid not, but we have her in a secure unit,
she'll be fine, she's merely resting now, I suggest you
take her example and get some sleep yourself.'

'Sorry, I can't just leave without seeing her, I've
travelled 30 clicks to get here for you to turn me away
- not going to happen.'

'Mr Kryzek, I understand how you feel but..'
'How the hell can you understand how I feel? Its not
your wife that's been hit in the face by a frikking
explosion is it?' Marc's patience was wearing thin,
clearly he wasn't getting anywhere with this idiot.

'You understand the Class protocols, I believe Mr
Kryzek? You yourself were in the Military for some time
according to the family medical records. I cannot allow
a Class 2 citizen beyond the boundaries of this area,
family or not. It's beyond my control, and there's nothing
I can do to help you. You may wait in the visitors dome if
you wish, but I can't say for sure how long it will be before
we have any further information. Take my advice, go home
and get some rest.'

Marc stood up angrily, 'Well thanks for nothing, Doc!
You know where I'll be if there's any change.'

He left the Doctor and marched towards the Visitors
Dome entrance oblivious to the figure that neatly
stepped in line, following him some metres behind. The
shadowy figure watched him enter the already crowded
room, removed a small device from his
belt and whispered into it.

'Target identified, acquisition underway'

There was a hiss of static in his concealed earpiece
then a voice broke through.

'Proceed, Priority Omega.'

The figure whispered back, 'Understood' and placed
the portable COM unit back into his hip pocket. He
glanced at the two enforcers, good, they hadn't seen a
thing, this mission was going to go one of a number of
ways, he hoped for his sake that it didn't get messy,
it would be a shame to have to hurt so many civilians.

It took only a few minutes for him to spot Kryzek in
the dome, he was sat beneath one of the commemorative
trees planted in honour of the men and women from the
first doomed Lunar Colony missions. Such a waste he
thought to himself, if only they'd listened. Strolling
over, he seated himself within close proximity, but not
too close so people would think they were together.

Casually he leaned forward, and opened his long
black trench coat.

'Marc Kryzek?'

Only really noticing the man for the first time
Marc looked up. 'Yeah that's me. You have some news
about Angie already? I was expecting at least an hour
or two knowing the way you people work.'

'In some respects, yes I do, but I need you to
accompany me to a safer area first.'

Marc looked puzzled. 'Why can't you tell me here?
What in the hell's going on?'

The man leaned back, and his coat fell open
further, strapped to his chest was a medium sized box,
no bigger than a narco-stick packet. It was the
flashing sequence of amber lights that made Marc
stiffen and attempt to back away.

'I see you are familiar with portable Ion Charges
Mr Kryzek. My name is Vostal, I am a member of the
organisation the media like to refer to as 'The New
Dawn Syndicate'. I have been requested to bring you in
for questioning, or failing that
remove any evidence I was ever here, which means
unfortunately having to dispose of yourself and anyone
within this perimeter.' He tapped a button on the
charge and the sequence of lights turned from amber to
red, blinking much faster now.

You have approximately five seconds to make your
decision, I hope for your sake,'

He swept his arm in a wide arc. 'and for theirs
that you make the right one.'
Unread 13 Mar 2006, 22:00   #25
Rokk3000

Chapter 7

The streets were alive with traffic, congested to
the hilt, the sounds of horns mixed with the constant
thrashing of water ricocheting off metal. The small
black cruiser hurtled through the stationary vehicles
and swerved to narrowly avoid an overturned station
wagon still smouldering hours after the torrent of
heavy rain had extinguished the fire that had taken the
lives of its two occupants.

The suburbs were always like this; it wasn't safe
to travel during the day, let alone on a dreary evening
like tonight, too many chances of being carjacked or
worse. It was no wonder that this black-spot had the
highest fatality record in the sector, it was hardly
ever policed, and no-one in their right mind would
venture down here unless absolutely necessary or they
had a death wish, yet here he was sitting in a car with
a bloody lunatic wearing a high grade explosive
strapped to his chest for warmth.

The day was definitely not going down on record as
one of the best he'd ever had. In fact, it had to be
said that it was almost on a par with that incident on
his stag evening where he had learnt that Zero G
basketball, exotic dancers and a dozen synth-ales do
not mix.

'Ok, now don't take this the wrong way, I wouldn't
want you pressing any switches that might give me the
worlds biggest hangover, but would you mind telling me
why in the Godess's name you've dragged me out here?'

The man in the long black overcoat remained silent,
his eyes concentrating on the road as he continued to
bob and weave his way around objects in the path of the
car, the overhead lamps harsh light glaring off the
sodden tarmac blinding him made
manoeuvring difficult enough. He made a cursory glance
at his passenger and refocused his attention on his
driving.

'I mean, come on, have you people never heard of
simply asking? I generally respond a damn sight better
to requests when the person doing the talking isn't
threatening to turn me into the evening news Special
Bulletin!'

The man cleared his throat. 'Mr Kryzek, please
refrain from talking until we arrive at our
designation, my orders were to bring you to the meeting
point, not engage in trivial conversation, now please
sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.'

'Trivial? Trivial! You are kidding me here right?
The last few hours have been anything but trivial, you
blow up my wife, kidnap me with the threat of the same,
then expect me to sit here and smile like we're on some
jolly boys' outing?'

'Mr Kryzek, whatever you may be assuming, let me
assure you that your wife's condition has nothing in
the slightest to do with my organisation. Whatever
questions we can answer will be answered when we reach
our destination, but for now, I'm asking you to keep
calm, and more importantly silent.' The man turned and
looked Marc straight in the eyes. 'I would hate to have
to render you unconscious before your meeting, I hear
tazer shocks do nothing for the constitution.'

Marc sank back in the chair and tried to relax.
Letting out a heavy sigh he resigned himself to the
fact that he was getting no-where with this man. He was
along for the duration and better to get used to it
rather than getting hurt, there was nothing he
had a greater allergic reaction to than pain. 'Fine' he
muttered, a brief half smile on his lips. 'I've always
wanted to say this and now seems as good an opportunity
as ever.' He paused for dramatic effect. 'Take me to
your leader!'

After several hours of intermittent sleep,
interwoven with fitful thoughts and fragmented images,
Angie awoke. Her eyelids seemed as if they were lined
with lead and she struggled to raise herself up into a
sitting position, she felt - what were the words
'comfortably numb'? It was only after the third attempt
that she realised she couldn't feel anything from the
waist down and started to panic. She grasped for the
call button that hung over the back off the bed and
pressed frantically for assistance, her head pounding,
she felt darkness close in, and for the second time in
as many days she lapsed into unconsciousness.
Unread 13 Mar 2006, 22:02   #26
Rokk3000

Chapter 8
The cruiser had been travelling for no more than 40
minutes when it came to an abrupt halt skidding
slightly before its forward momentum petered out. The
torrential downpour had subsided and was no more than a
fine mist now, but the sky still hung heavy with the
threat of further sporadic showers.

Marc had stayed silent for the remainder of the
journey and allowed the man 'Vostal'to work on keeping
them on the road rather than a mangled wreck on the
sidewalk. He felt decidedly
uneasy and his stomach growled, pleading to be fed. It
had been over a day since he'd last eaten; the stress
and worry over Angie's situation, interwoven with his
current predicament, had destroyed any appetite he had.
Now it was catching up with him, and thinking about it,
a good nights sleep was probably also in order.

Looking through the passenger window his attention
was immediately grabbed by the large gothic building
not 100 yards away from where they'd pulled up. Its
stone pillars and arches once white were now a grimy
black tarnished by years of weathering, and
the now choking pollution that engulfed the planet. He
checked in his pocket for the chem.mask and was
reassured to find it there. Fifteen minutes outside
without the thing and he'd be wheezing like an old man.

The catches on the door unlocked with a loud click
and brought him back to reality.

'We're here Mr Kryzek, if you'd be so kind as to
follow me please. I must warn you before you exit the
confines of the car that you are under surveillance,
and any attempt to leave this vicinity without
authorization from myself will result in your
immediate termination.' As if to make his point clear
Vostol indicated the three bright red laser points on
his chest.

'Ok' Marc replied, 'The constant threats are becoming
a little wearing now, lets just get this over with
shall we?' he reached into his pocket and pulled out
the mask. The charge on the filter was still showing
green, fixing it in place he opened the door and
stepped out onto the street.

The first thing he noticed as Vostol lead him across
to the seemingly deserted mausoleum was how quiet it
was, the roar of traffic had vanished, and the only
discernable sound came from a few cans blowing across
the deserted road. He wondered what it would be like to
hear the sound of birdsong, it had been a long time
since any sort of wild life had lived in the city, this
place was a haven for mechanical animals only.

They entered the building under a disused archway
just off the main high street, now close up, Marc could
see that the structure itself was not merely discolored
and dirty, but was actually decaying. The acids and
Goddess knows what else in the water were slowly but
surely eating the stonework away, it looked like the
whole place could collapse at any moment.

Vostol walked a few feet in front of him continuing
on through the gloom sure footed as if he'd made the
journey a hundred times, Marc followed just behind
trusted not to try anything ridiculous, though the
thought of running did cross his mind for a few
seconds. The mysterious New Dawn agent walked towards
what appeared to be a dead end and beckoned him
forward. 'We're here, now we wait'.

After a few moments a deep grating sound began to
emanate from the wall, Marc watched in amazement as the
whole wall began to slide back revealing a well lit
tunnel that headed beneath the building for as far as
he could see. Stepping from the near darkness of the
derelict building into the blinding fluorescent lights
Marc had to squint until his eyes became accustomed to
the change, he was astounded by the stark contrast to
the area he'd just left. Vostol ushered him forward
towards two waiting men, each of them armed with what
appeared to be modified plasma rifles.

'This is where I leave you. I have business to attend
to elsewhere.' The two men approached, rifles slung low
over their shoulders.

Vostol acknowledged them both with a discreet nod of
his head.

'This is the visitor that Johnson asked me to bring
along, make sure he is treated well and comes to no
harm.' He turned to the bigger of the two men and
smiled. 'Kal, that means no accidents if you don't
mind, he's needed intact.'

The stocky guard grinned. 'Ok, I get the picture,
straight to the boss man, and no stairs right ?'

Vostal laughed. 'Yeah that's right, he's expected,
so no detours or sightseeing trips.'

And with that he turned around and headed back up
the corridor towards the entrance.

Marc watched him go and called after him
sarcastically, 'Hey, thanks for the lift, maybe we
could do lunch sometime?' He felt the muzzle of a rifle
against the small of his back.

'Ok, ok. I was kidding guys. Let's go see your boss.'
Unread 18 Mar 2006, 06:13   #27
Rokk3000

Chapter 9

It had been some hours since the demonstration had
ended, Tyr was exhausted, the adrenalin that had been
pumping around his system had subsided, and fatigue was
eating away at him. He needed a good nights rest
without the dreams, just silent uninterrupted bliss, how long
had it been now? Months - Years? He couldn't remember, time
had ceased to have any real meaning for him now, all that mattered
was the project, it had to be completed on time, his life
depended on it.

He rested his face in his hands and his reflection
gazed back at him from off the polished surface of the
desk, he was surprised how old he looked. Where was the
brash, upwardly mobile young officer that he'd once
been? The career-motivated soldier that would stop at
nothing to get to the top was gone, ripped apart by the
realisation that this -

He closed his eyes.

- this life was not the 'be all and end all', there
was a something else out there, something new and
terrifying and the thing that frightened him most of
all was that he didn't know what it was, just that it
was coming and he had to get away.

He sat silently for a while when he felt a presence
in the room, without looking up he knew it was Kreer.

'General' He acknowledged.

Kreer walked over to the large table and sat down a
few seats away. 'We can dispense with the formalities
Tyr, there's no-one else here.'

Raising his head Tyr looked directly at him. 'It
went well don't you think? E-Day is now out in the
open, at least amongst the ranks here, it'll spread
quickly you know there are bound to be leaks, we could
have a revolution on our hands.'

Kreer smiled. 'You worry too much, the military and
localised PPC forces throughout all the major cities
are on standby. Martial law is ready to be enforced the
minute I give the word.'

At least that was some comfort Tyr thought to
himself, the last thing he needed was a riot of
worldwide proportions.

'You look washed out Tyr, the visions still bothering
you? I could have the medical team remove the implants
if you wish?'

Tyr rubbed the top of his head and traced the thin
circle of scar tissue that was hidden under his thick
black hair. Subconsciously the device buried somewhere
in his frontal lobe seemed to throb, but he didn't know
whether the feeling was a product of his own imagination
or something else. It was like an itch you wanted to scratch
but couldn't quite reach.

'No it's fine, I can cope.' He replied quietly.

'Then you're a stronger man than I am.' Kreer
whispered. 'I couldn't have stood another day with that
thing in my head the images were getting too frequent
and too damn strong.'

'Like I said, its not a problem, we need to be aware
of when its going to happen, and at least this way
we've got the next best thing to an early warning
system.'

Kreer nodded in agreement. 'Not to mention that it
takes you off the expendable list..' He added, his
voice taking on a menacing tone.

Ignoring the comment, Tyr sat up and focused
himself. 'I assume you didn't just come here for the
small talk General, the Beta-Testing, are we ready to
commence?'

'Yes' Kreer snapped. 'It will take place tomorrow
evening, we will launch a modified Interceptor from the
Taurus Colony Science facility, send it through a
jump-gate with a single 'willing' occupant, then bring
it back remotely for study. If all goes as well as with
the previous unmanned attempts, we will be testing one
of the larger vessels, I have already commissioned 'The
Alamo' to be fitted with a Rift Generation Unit.'

It was Tyr's turn to smile, memories of his time
served commanding the flagship of the fleet, the first
Battleship out of production and it had been his to
command. He was just sorry that he'd never had a chance
to take it into combat; there had never
been a need. Nothing on Earth could have stood against
its devastating weaponry. It was merely a token
gesture, just there to prove that the EEC were the
superior military presence on the planet.

Kreer interrupted his reminiscing and brought him
back to reality. 'A word of warning Tyr, don't forget
who is in charge of this operation. I could have you
replaced in an a moments notice. I can tolerate your
insolence for only so long, it would do you well to
remember that!'

Tyr stared back unblinking, 'And just who would you
use as your Guinea-Pig General? If memory serves me
correctly, the only other member of this operation that
successfully adapted to the Neurimplants went AWOL and
still hasn't been recaptured.'

Kreer stood up angrily knocking over the chrome
finished chair and sending it skittering across the
polished floor. 'Don't push me too far Winters, I'm
already at the end of my patience! Be at the
Observation suite at 1300 hours tomorrow afternoon, do
not keep me waiting.'

And without any further words marched angrily out of
the room.

Tyr yawned and felt the need to lie down starting to
wash over him. He rose wearily from his seat and moved
to switch off the holo-Emitters.

'So the big day was tomorrow', he thought to
himself. Things were coming to a head at last and his
finger hovered above the power down switch.

'There are winners and losers in every race -' He
murmered. ' - even the Human one.'

And with those words hanging in the air he flicked
the small plastic switch and watched the three
dimensional spinning globe flicker and die before
turning and heading for his quarters.
Unread 18 Mar 2006, 06:17   #28
Rokk3000

Chapter 10

'She's coming round again - output stabilising -
we've got her back.'

'Did you catch those readings? We've got a natural
here, better inform Kreer, he'll want to know about it
ASAP.'

'I agree, looks like she's struggling to handle it
though, neural inhibitors?'

'Definitely. Don't want her flaking out before the
company get a proper look at her, it's been months
since we found a natural, go make the arrangements.'

Angie was in a state of twilight sleep, she could
vaguely hear the disjointed voices, and the blurred
images began to take on form and shape with every
second. She was aware of two men, both in white
outfits, one of them moved away from the bottom of her
bed and disappeared out of the room.

'W..w..water -' she managed to rasp. Her mouth felt
like it was on fire, and there was a steady
uncomfortable pounding in her ears, not unlike the
onset of a particular nasty migraine. She gratefully
accepted the small paper cone of water, and taking it
in her shaking hands allowed the cool liquid to pass
her lips. The feeling was exhilarating.

'You've had quite an ordeal my dear, don't try to do
too much too quickly, just relax a little, we're
bringing something to help you with the pain.'

'Where am I?' I can't seem to move my legs. Oh
Goddess! I'm paralysed, the explosion, I remember - !'

'Shhhhh, its alright, you're fine, we had to give
you a small injection to take care of the pain, you
suffered some severe head trauma, and before the
operation took place, we had to ensure you didn't go
moving around. It'll wear off within 24hrs so just calm
yourself.'

Angie tried to regulate her breathing, she had been
taught to do that in training, to combat shock, it
wasn't working a whole lot. 'She dropped the empty
paper cup onto the bed, a few remaining drops splashed
onto the thin cotton sheets hiding her modesty. For the first
time she realised she wasn't clothed, and that bothered her.

'Could you hand me a robe please?'

The man in white handed her a blue robe, which she
hugged to herself, and tried to pull around her.

'Here, let me help you with that' the man moved
closer to the bed.

'I can handle it dammit! Now kindly keep your hands
to yourself if you don't mind.'

He took a step backwards not expecting such a
hostile reaction. 'I apologise, I didn't mean to..'

'Its fine' She snapped, 'Just let me clothe myself
ok?'

The man nodded and moved to check out one of the
machines at the other side of the room. Angie
persevered with the robe, and with a sigh, managed to
pull it around her, relief washed over her and the
vulnerability she felt began to fade.

She felt sorry for the man, he did not speak after
her outburst. A little ashamed of her actions, she
called out to him. 'I'm sorry about that, I didn't mean
to snap, it's just that I'm a little -'

'No need to apologise my dear, I understand. Would
you like more water?'

She smiled, the first time she had done so in a
long time. 'Yes please that would be great.'

He handed her another cup and moved back to the end
of the bed.

'I know this might sound like a silly question but
where the frik am I? And before you're tempted to say
'hospital' let me tell you that this cup is pretty
sharp.'

He smiled. 'You're at South Side, not the regular
medical facility, but the military wing, for some
reason we were asked to move you here, its normally
reserved for EEC officials, but someone in authority
seems to have taken a shine to you.'

'Really? Any idea who that someone would be?'
The man turned away, 'I'm not really allowed to
divulge that kind of information my dear it could be
classed as sensitive.'

'Oh come on now, I mean if they gave the order to
transfer little ol' me, then surely its not going to be
a problem knowing now is it? How else am I going to
thank them?'

He pondered for a few minutes, 'Ok, this never came
from me right?'

'Right' she promised.

'The order came from quite high up, a Colonel Tyr
Winters to be precise, now please don't say a word to
anyone.'

'Thank-you' she smiled. 'And don't worry its
between you and me.'

She settled back into the bed, confused. Why would
Winters get her transferred here?

He hated her and everything she stood for, it was
no secret that there was an atmosphere between the PPC
and the EEC that went much deeper than just
professional rivalry. It was time to start getting to
the bottom of this now, if only she could move her
frikking legs.
Unread 18 Mar 2006, 06:21   #29
Rokk3000

Chapter 11

Marc sat in the small brightly lit room and
pondered the meaning of life. Well more the meaning of
his life and why he'd been foolish enough to skip
breakfast that morning. After what seemed like hours of
drumming his fingers on the rickety aluminum topped table
he came to the conclusion that he was just getting even
more confused, and vowed never to get out of bed on a
Monday morning again - providing he actually saw another
Monday morning,

His thoughts drifted to Angie. He had no idea how
she was, other than she was alive, that much he was
certain of. He didn't know how or why he knew, he just
did.

He looked at his wristwatch, wishing he had worn his
antique anologue timepiece.

Any sound would have been welcome now, even the
incessant ticking that drove him mad when he couldn't
sleep would have been a comfort, this silence was just
too - ermm - silent.

'Can anyone hear me out there?' He called out, but
no-one answered in reply.

It wasn't until at least 20 minutes later that he
heard the grating of metal upon metal as someone on the
other side of the door slid back the rusty bolt that
kept him in confinement.

He stood up and crossed to the furthest point in the
room, unsure of what to expect, and was mildly
disappointed when a thin, angular jawed man who looked
to be in his late thirties walked in flanked by two men
who's necks appeared to have vanished into their
shoulders.

'Mr Kryzek' the man started in a dull lifeless
voice. 'No need to get up, please take your seat, we
have much to discuss.'

Marc pulled up a chair and seated himself, his eyes
not leaving the two bodyguards for a second.

'Now I assume you have a hundred and one questions to
ask me Mr Kryzek, but allow me if you will to get this
-' The man struggled for words. '..interview underway.'

He turned to the two men who had barely moved since
they escorted him into the room. 'You can leave us now,
Mr Kryzek is not going to try anything rash, I'd like
to discuss certain matters with him privately, so if
you'd be good enough to wait for me outside, and maybe
order some refreshments for our 'guest '?

The guards glanced at Marc and turned on their
heels, leaving the room as swiftly as they'd entered.

'So finally you're here..Marc..isn't it ? You don't
mind if I call you Marc ?'

'You can call me whatever you like.' Marc spat back.
'It's not as if I'm in any position to argue now is it?'

'Oh Marc, Marc, don't be like that, would you have
come if I'd have simply asked you to? No I don't think
you would, despite what you may have said to Vostal.
Bringing you here was necessary , and I apologise for
the somewhat unorthodox methods my man used, but
believe me it was of the utmost importance.'

'Important enough to have my wife assassinated ?'
Marc could feel his anger growing.

'We did no such thing I assure you, although I will
admit the timing was rather - pleasing. It served us
quite well indeed not having to search for you. You're
a difficult man to track down when you don't want to be
found.'

'I keep myself to myself.' Marc whispered scarcely
able to hide his disbelief that this man -this small