User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 25 Feb 2007, 04:53   #1
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of
How many is too many?

It is becoming quite common to see 5-8 waves this round on a single person. Sometimes when they only have 200-300 roids. Is this really worth it to that wonderful alliance who can get away with it? Or are we just doing it so that we can brag amongst ourselves "ha, we totally raped that guy".

I've also seen as many as 10 fleets on one person in one night...
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 06:16   #2
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice
Re: How many is too many?

Small universe coincidence(?).

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 06:21   #3
Furbie_Fanatic
Dinosaur

Furbie_Fanatic is a jewel in the roughFurbie_Fanatic is a jewel in the roughFurbie_Fanatic is a jewel in the roughFurbie_Fanatic is a jewel in the rough

doublebooking ftw?
If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.

Dont Trust Anyone!
Furbie_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 06:32   #4
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The entire penis-allianz got 9-waved the other day.

And then there are many double and triple bookings because most bcs don't have the sense to see that a galaxy ranked as 6th on size and 30th on value will be booked by other alliances as well. It's a small universe, and there are more organised players than players without alliance / in (really) small alliances. I have seen some pretty distressing attacks this round as well, and I hope it's not on purpose.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 07:01   #5
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Double booking would be a possibility, except that usually when you double book you have both alliances overlapping, whereas I've seen 8 waves in a row of one fleet per wave, which would suggest that either it's one alliance being total fruitcakes, or they're doing joint ventures, which is still just as fruity.
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 09:32   #6
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Well, if there is no overlapping, it is unlikely to be doublebooking, but you can't exclude it. Also, is it the entire galaxy under attack, or just one planet? If it's just one planet, I would expect it to be either war, or just an insanely good target, who got unlucky and had all his incomings in different eta, instead of a lot of piggybacking. Otherwise... Well, I don't know.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 10:06   #7
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

I can think of a few different reasons:

1) Double-booking. It would certainly be unlucky for those incomings to appear on different ETAs, but it's not altogether unlikely. Also, a person with a wave booked on a target might JGP just prior to launch, and delay their launch until they have a clear tick on which to launch.

2) Laziness. The PA demographic has changed in seven years. We're not all 17-year-olds any more; a lot of PA players have jobs, families and other commitments which make the kind of 24-hour military operations of the past impossible now. Quite simply, a lot of alliances will run one or two raids, and members who have 5 minutes at 10:30pm to find a target will simply book a wave in one of these raids. If this is the 5th wave, well, they're just going to have to hope that the first four waves are defended. This is also a consequence of the alliance limit; where once alliances would have had 150 members and needed to have careful target selection, now they have 60 members it's less important.

3) Small universe. Self-explanatory really; there aren't enough good targets to go around, so the good ones get hit lots.

4) Spite. As alliances and galaxies are quite weak this round, there's much more scope for people to 'do their own thing', which means setting up silly attacks on their 'enemies'. As a military HC I would have banned my members from doing this kind of thing, but people like me don't run alliances any more.

On the flipside, roids are now 'easy come, easy go'. Getting 8 waves of incoming means losing a lot of roids, but if you had the ability to cap that many roids to begin with, then you can go out and do it again. The XP system will reward you for this. The best thing to do is advise the player under attack that he can quite easily gain his roids back and will be higher in the rankings after he has done so.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 10:29   #8
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

my gal has been double and triple booked this round. record we recieved overall was about 100-110 fleets. i personally had 14 of them

last time gal was hit was only about 73/74 fleets with me getting about 9 of them

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 10:41   #9
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Here's an example I just found by doing a random jumpgate:

http://parser.lch-hq.org/index.php?s...19331172396138

I parsed it, so don't go complaining about giving out co-ords.
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 10:46   #10
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

There's been a lot of discussion through rounds of certain alliances just madly waving smaller planets too. The alliances in question have fervently denied doing it, but really, most alliances with decent intel could just say that:

Whatever they say, there are alliances (in this case, not the peak alliances) that will do unnecessarily massive waving on even the smallest planets. This may be because of lack of member control, lack of military command ability, or just plain idiocy. But it happens. To 180-200 roiders too.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 10:50   #11
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
There's been a lot of discussion through rounds of certain alliances just madly waving smaller planets too. The alliances in question have fervently denied doing it, but really, most alliances with decent intel could just say that:

Whatever they say, there are alliances (in this case, not the peak alliances) that will do unnecessarily massive waving on even the smallest planets. This may be because of lack of member control, lack of military command ability, or just plain idiocy. But it happens. To 180-200 roiders too.
Yeah, the worst I saw was 6 waves on someone with 230 roids.
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 11:43   #12
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

My planet has a whoping 150 roids, and i still get waves of incomming about every night, i gave up 200 roids or more cause that did lead to daily incomming waves. And im not much of a mr active as i just got a toe inside of top1000

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 11:54   #13
Shoshuro

Shoshuro is just really niceShoshuro is just really niceShoshuro is just really niceShoshuro is just really niceShoshuro is just really nice

Quote:

If pre-launch was removed and xp was reduced would it solve the issue? As i highly doubt someone would wake up at 4:00 am to wave someone with 180 roids.
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 12:08   #14
MAsta_MArk
Welsh palestinian!

MAsta_MArk is a splendid one to beholdMAsta_MArk is a splendid one to beholdMAsta_MArk is a splendid one to beholdMAsta_MArk is a splendid one to beholdMAsta_MArk is a splendid one to beholdMAsta_MArk is a splendid one to behold

Remove pre-launch?
silly boy
do you really think many people would even attack then?
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 12:13   #15
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
There's been a lot of discussion through rounds of certain alliances just madly waving smaller planets too. The alliances in question have fervently denied doing it, but really, most alliances with decent intel could just say that:.
Decent intel doest seem to exist in pa any more. I've noticed over the past few rounds a trend for intel officers to get lazy when it comes to gathering intel and as such its become i unreliable on the most part. This round is especially bad, almost daily i'm having to deal with people accusing us of sending 6 waves at their galaxy saying "Multiple Arbiters have confirmed it" but if they supply further information so I can double check it turns out the galaxy wasn't one of our targets (often even being one of our own galaxies which I think its fairly well known that we don't roid galaxies with members in) and none of the attacking co-ords match those of our members. Even when they get the right galaxy half the co-ordinates aren't our members even though arbiters had said they were with no more than 3 waves (and normally 2) being ours

So just because an arbiter says its a single alliance unless its a bitter rival I wouldn't suggest anyone puts too much weight in what it says.

Now I'm not saying some alliances don't do these kind of attacks but pinpointing them has got extreamly tough when so much false Intel is present in alliances arbiters. It masks the people who do it, and leads to false accusations towards alliances that don't and with the small universe and lack of decent targets it just made it worse
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 12:20   #16
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
...through rounds of certain alliances just madly waving smaller planets too. The alliances in question have fervently denied doing it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
This round is especially bad
Now I'm not saying some alliances don't do these kind of attacks
I'm not talking about the current ongoing round, as I'm not in charge of anything intelligence related at the current moment, nor could I be arsed to do.

Definately, some alliances do these. And I don't think it's an urban myth that some alliances get connected to such incidents a lot more often than some other alliances do. Once I talked to a leader of an alliance I was suspecting of 8-waving a 200-roid planet, and admitted, I was wrong. Dreadfully wrong. The alliance commander claimed that they never send more than 3 waves on 200-roids. He was wrong. Dreadfully wrong. Five of the eight waves were of his alliance. "Oh, well, someone must have launched outside the claimed waves".

Intel is tough.

Knowing what your own members do can be tough too, especially if you've got almost 70 of them, and they're not as "disciplined" as the (nowadays very loose) players of the "top alliances".
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 12:24   #17
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshuro
If pre-launch was removed and xp was reduced would it solve the issue? As i highly doubt someone would wake up at 4:00 am to wave someone with 180 roids.
It may move it out of the view of alot of the more vocal groups but its not like mass waving didn't happen before. With less XP you simply make it less profitable to hit decent targets and more important not to lose any ships so you hit alot lower down thus focusing the mass waves on smaller players and galaxies that wouldn't be able to handle it and as removing prelaunch just means more people have to launch in peak usuage times and doing that requires again smaller targets to be hit and these targets to be more overloaded to try and use up any defence.

In fact for alliances it may well be better for them to look for galaxies they know another has booked or a few have booked and then go in afterwards knowing the first bunch would have exhasted defence and you can then walk in for no losses
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 12:31   #18
Crowly
Orbit HC

Crowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to behold

Many of these suggestions seem to be for the dedicated players to make it easier for themselves, since most of the new people to the game aren't staying up till 4am anyway.

We need more new people to stick around, not less.
Crowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 12:37   #19
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

It's also nice when you have a player attack someone in cluster, knowing that unless that player also has ally in-cluster they're dead in water from ally help usually.

The eta bonus in cluster for attacks is almost on the verge of stupidity. The eta for cluster def was a great idea, but for attacks all it does is cause in-fighting among the clusters who usually leave each other alone.
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 12:42   #20
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Multiple waves have been a problem since 6-tick defence and multiple targetting was removed.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 13:12   #21
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAsta_MArk
Remove pre-launch?
silly boy
Pre-launch made people lazy, so why not? It'll reward those who still can be arsed to spend time on the game instead of those who logs in 10 minutes every day.
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 13:13   #22
Crowly
Orbit HC

Crowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to behold

And boom, playerbase of 200 people. Good idea, Nadar.
Crowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 13:17   #23
Tietäjä
Good Son

Or you'll just have to attack a bit earlier.
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 13:19   #24
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowly
And boom, playerbase of 200 people. Good idea, Nadar.
There's no other way to avoid mass-waves on your targets. Pre-launch was one of the reason why PA became boring to me and thus made me quit. So who are you to say the player base will decrease instead of increase? How do you know PA didn't loose hundreds and maybe thousands of players because of pre-launch?
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 13:23   #25
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

not to mention, removing pre-launch would get rid of people who hide there ships in pre-launch so that they're home, but don't get attacked when they have incoming.

I rather enjoy doing this, but I find it is a valid way of cheating the system by not actually having to launch your fleet to save it.
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 13:30   #26
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
not to mention, removing pre-launch would get rid of people who hide there ships in pre-launch so that they're home, but don't get attacked when they have incoming.

I rather enjoy doing this, but I find it is a valid way of cheating the system by not actually having to launch your fleet to save it.
Indeed, pre-launch took away too many aspects of the game.
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 15:48   #27
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Remove pre-launch?
silly boy
Quote:
Many of these suggestions seem to be for the dedicated players to make it easier for themselves, since most of the new people to the game aren't staying up till 4am anyway.

We need more new people to stick around, not less.
For the love of god... The game has 24 ticks in a day. Where does it say EVERYTHING has to happen during a 6 tick period at night? Can you point me to that section of the manual pls, as i seemed to have missed that.

You can attack at any given time. Prelaunch basicly centered the whole game (apart from wars) around the 2-7 GMT tick period which is frankly extremely boring. If ppl would only just realise it doesn't matter when you do attacks, if everyone would for example shift their attacks to 12:00-19:00 GMT instead, you'll get the exact same thing then which we now have in the GMT morning. But i guess ppl just rather stick with the easy and lazy way of playing rather than realise they can make their own timeframes and realising they don;t have to follow the active players who can actually bother to get up at night.
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 17:32   #28
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandows
For the love of god... The game has 24 ticks in a day. Where does it say EVERYTHING has to happen during a 6 tick period at night? Can you point me to that section of the manual pls, as i seemed to have missed that.

You can attack at any given time. Prelaunch basicly centered the whole game (apart from wars) around the 2-7 GMT tick period which is frankly extremely boring. If ppl would only just realise it doesn't matter when you do attacks, if everyone would for example shift their attacks to 12:00-19:00 GMT instead, you'll get the exact same thing then which we now have in the GMT morning. But i guess ppl just rather stick with the easy and lazy way of playing rather than realise they can make their own timeframes and realising they don;t have to follow the active players who can actually bother to get up at night.
Players Don't and never have had the ability to make their own timeframes. This is not after all a game where we are playing against a computer, its against real people and as such the ideal times are those where activity is lowest as that maximises success. Even an hour out makes a massive amount of difference on if you land cleanly or not.

Before prelaunch the chance of landing a successful attack was significantly harder unless you could be online to launch between 2-7 GMT to launch. Without prelaunch for many alliances the only option was to launch between 2000-0000 GMT as that was the only time they could guarantee a good number of people would be on in time to launch but this times also the time where your will most likly get defended. To have much chance of getting the kind of gains you would if you were able to launch later you have no option but to commit almost all your fleets that are available to launch more waves than you would normally. And obviously the more fleets you have to give to attacks the the harder it is to defend, and without prelaunch any defence you can do increases the chance of ships being lost at the planet so defence is even more important

So really unless we can level the playing numbers so that theres an equal representation of timezones you don't really have the option to pick your own timeframes because its the other players not yourself who decideds this
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 17:39   #29
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

its not about timeframe, you can attack any time of the day and get through, hence my fleets are out 24/7 usually, the only timeframe you probably cant get through is around 19-23gmt, seriously people just need to adjust. Timezones mean jackshit
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 17:40   #30
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

if you tried attacking a galaxy with your members at 6pm game time it's most likely that their fleets and the fleets of their ally are either out or returning
as to whether an alliance will try this method is questionable but it can be done

you have the ability to dictate how you play the game
you can chose to act or react

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 17:50   #31
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing i agree with is that prelaunch for defence is somewhat of a must to have (for not being able to defend more than one tick with a fleet). But the attack argument is just silly. Sure atm i would agree and say that it is a problem, but again, it is a problem because every single alliance thinks you have to attack at night. In the current universe it hardly matters at which time you attack since defence is pretty much limited to a few spare fleet slots anyway. And yes currently most fleets return home in the evening, but that is because everyone 'must' attack at night. In fact i haven't seen many of my afternoon attacks being properly defended due to alot of ppl having fleets out / returning from their night duties.

But it doesn't really matter. I know this game is stuck in the crap position it put itself in, the game is boring and basicly stuck with the boring tech and stats for rounds. Hardly anyone tries to change anything about how they play the game, everyone just sticks with their old habbits because the game isn't challanging anyone to find new and exciting ways of playing it.
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 21:53   #32
Lei~
~Gon

Lei~ is on a distinguished road

Let's not get all negative shall we?

We've seen lots of good changes in this last round i think. The clusters are making a round that would otherwise be politically stuck interesting. The new race has brought some new tactics. Correct me if im wrong but i think even the playerbase is slightly larger than it was last round. Just stay postive and you'll see lots of things have changed for the better. Yet prelaunch is not one of them.

This game is about activity. Take the need for it away and you equalize the whole playerbase. Everyones planets get a lil closer in size no matter the ability(activity!) of the player. Ive been playing since rd 2 and i never had problems with piggies, not even in later rounds. I choose my targs carefully and send at late hours or even in the morning, never prelaunching. But the last few rounds, i am getting piggies on almost all attacks. Why is that, you ask? Because the timeframe I made for myself, MY private one, was made available to everyone without having to stay up late.

So now everyone is launching at my time, I've again moved. I now hit mornings to early midday. Works as well and is better on my university life anyway. Still it sucked to have my timeframe ruined by prelaunch.

To put in an idea why not limit prelaunch to 10 prelaunchs a round?
Or something like that? People then coulkd prelaunch when they absolutely have to and apart from that they simply have to live around their pa account and attacks. AS IT SHOULD BE!!!
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 22:17   #33
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lei~
To put in an idea why not limit prelaunch to 10 prelaunchs a round?
Or something like that? People then coulkd prelaunch when they absolutely have to and apart from that they simply have to live around their pa account and attacks. AS IT SHOULD BE!!!
Winner!
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 22:20   #34
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

The road to the end of pa is fast approaching. As someone has pointed out, we are all much older now, and pa hasnt replaced us with younger lads coming through as it needs to.
And there is no way you are gonna get people who work, in the age 22-30 age bracket as I would think a lot of us are, getting up to launch.
It would certainly end pa for me enforced rather than choice, and a fair few others as well.

End pre-launch and you end pa.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 22:38   #35
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

Activity still pays off. Active people get to KEEP their roids. So there is still advantages to being active between 4 - 7 GMT.
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 23:42   #36
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo
if you tried attacking a galaxy with your members at 6pm game time it's most likely that their fleets and the fleets of their ally are either out or returning
as to whether an alliance will try this method is questionable but it can be done

you have the ability to dictate how you play the game
you can chose to act or react
The trouble with a 6pm launch is three fold.
  1. Galaxy Defence - Even if alliance defence is out your at eta's above eta5 during peak hours. And this allows most defence fleets sent out to have got back and then sent on galaxy defence
  2. These kind of launch times have landing times which don't exactly fit in with people who couldn't launch at the conventional time
  3. Its a little early for good participation (people are at work or on way home from work)

We have experimented with a number of times over the last few rounds. Mid morning had a fairly high success rate but participation was a problem because while it has the same kind of benefits as the 2-7 window those same benefits are also a hindrance and without the high activity window where people have plenty of free time before launch its harder to overcome this. With the removal of prelaunch attacks at this time would be even harder to pull of because getting people on at a specific hour especially one that for the majority of the playerbase falls into the working day

Alliance attacks rely on launching with the most participation (planets without claims aren't good for anyone) and launched at a time where defence is at its hardest and that means 2-7 is the only really viable option for an alliance attack, atleast as a main one. And removing prelaunch wont change that, all it will do is remove peoples options to attack and drive people away. If people want attacks spread better than there needs to be a fundamental change in attacking but what that is I dont know
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 25 Feb 2007, 23:44   #37
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Lets make 2 universes. One for US people and one for normal people (ie europe). Then give planets protection during (their) night.

then 10x the income from roids, cut traveltime in 2 and cut planetcost to 2 dollars per round!

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 00:21   #38
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lei~
Let's not get all negative shall we?

We've seen lots of good changes in this last round i think. The clusters are making a round that would otherwise be politically stuck interesting.
most clusters are one of: napped all the way across.....WOW! how interesting. or they're split into one big block murdering the rest. or it's like my own cluster where each gal apart from mine and 1 other is pretty dead regardless so cluster is ignored.
Quote:
The new race has brought some new tactics.
no it hasn't. what is new? it's a race that has each other's characteristics, that's not new. that's recycling and making a supreme race, still nothing new.
Quote:
Correct me if im wrong but i think even the playerbase is slightly larger than it was last round.
not sure if this data is just universe count at start of rnd but..: http://www.planetarion.com/PAdata.png
Quote:
This game is about activity. Take the need for it away and you equalize the whole playerbase. Everyones planets get a lil closer in size no matter the ability(activity!) of the player. Ive been playing since rd 2 and i never had problems with piggies, not even in later rounds. I choose my targs carefully and send at late hours or even in the morning, never prelaunching. But the last few rounds, i am getting piggies on almost all attacks. Why is that, you ask? Because the timeframe I made for myself, MY private one, was made available to everyone without having to stay up late.
this is just "lol"

by the way i think prelaunch is a very useful feature and i can't believe all of you MEDIOCRE/NON-HARDCORE* ARE WHINING ABOUT THE PRESENCE OF IT. it makes planetarion playable, simply because the majority of the playerbase is european (i presume this is still true) - therefore most profitable to attack when europeans sleep.

* pa will be too activity focused like it was, that's NOT skill - that's COMMITTMENT to a ****ing GAME. i REFUSE TO BELIEVE people WANT a game where it is best for a player to be awake at silly times to launch an attack

i personally think things are "FINE" now, or at least not prelaunching's fault - more rather it's a combination of the location of the playerbase + the size of the playerbase.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 00:46   #39
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
Off topic, but wtf happened between r7 and r8?
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 01:06   #40
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Legion and xanadu both quit the game. I think round eight may have been announced as the last round of PA, certainly there were a lot of questions over who was going to continue running it as the funds weren't there but I wouldn't swear people knew about that before the round actually started.
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 01:20   #41
wakey
Hamster

I would assume some of the the reason for so few people listed for round 8 are

1) The round ended abruptly, it didn't complete the intended running time and as such didn't have the time to build the numbers as always happens over a PA round
2) The figures Kal listed are estimates (as are any that are red on that)
3) I seem to recall the cost going up for both r7 and r8 which annoyed people
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 01:28   #42
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

How the hell is 22346 an estimate?
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 01:31   #43
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

I have been told that Rock, Orbit, and Hidden Agenda are using these 5-10 wave tactics. My information could be wrong.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 01:49   #44
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler
I have been told that Rock, Orbit, and Hidden Agenda are using these 5-10 wave tactics. My information could be wrong.
well its wrong for rock i know that much

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 01:56   #45
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
How the hell is 22346 an estimate?
You will have to ask Kal. When the figures were posted originally his key said that those in red were guesses based upon the information that could be found as official figueres werent available
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 01:58   #46
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler
While orbit have a history of it in the past the gains suggest they aren't, they have noticeable score gains at 1100GMT, 1200GMT and 1300GMT almost everyday but not really outside these times which suggests just 3 waves
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 03:20   #47
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
I would assume some of the the reason for so few people listed for round 8 are

1) The round ended abruptly, it didn't complete the intended running time and as such didn't have the time to build the numbers as always happens over a PA round
2) The figures Kal listed are estimates (as are any that are red on that)
3) I seem to recall the cost going up for both r7 and r8 which annoyed people
1) That round 8 ended abruptly doesn't explain the low amount of players that round. No did of course not know that the round would end suddenly when they started it.
2) What JBG said.
3) I doubt 16k people would quit because of that.

Another one said Legion and Xanadu quit, but no way they had 16k members combined. It's more likely that Kal did a f*ck up in his estimates, seems like something he would do
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 09:45   #48
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

well a 7 week round isnt helping either

robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 11:33   #49
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
1) That round 8 ended abruptly doesn't explain the low amount of players that round. No did of course not know that the round would end suddenly when they started it.
2) What JBG said.
3) I doubt 16k people would quit because of that.

Another one said Legion and Xanadu quit, but no way they had 16k members combined. It's more likely that Kal did a f*ck up in his estimates, seems like something he would do
1) Your forgetting that the initial signup numbers are not the same as the ending number. The round before they were getting 300 new signups a day. As such if a round ends before its even reached half way thats a fair number of signups you have lost

2) I don't really care if you and JBG believe the figures in red are estimates or not. Kal himself stated that the figures in red were estimates based on the information at hand and that's final.

3) I don't know, I seem to recall there was uproar when the game price went up, alot of people only saw the round out as they had spare credits and alot of other people were borderline about coming back because of the price and a further increase tipped them over the edge. Also alot of the more casual players quit as at this point the game was only really fun for the top alliances. Lower down you had basically given up half way through each round after being basher to oblivion quickly and repeatedly by he bigger players and paying more money for that privelege wasnt exactly appealing

Now the figures for that round are probally out, and there probally was an extra few k but almost certainly no where near the 16k lost.
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 12:17   #50
Nadar
I see you!

I think the whole stats-page is bollocks. According to that page, round 8 lasted 10+ weeks, same as the round before, which of course isn't true.

Kal