User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 2 Jan 2007, 23:01   #251
Satyr

Satyr has a spectacular aura aboutSatyr has a spectacular aura aboutSatyr has a spectacular aura about
Re: Round 20 Superpowers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_
you know, I like the way that you mention alexis as a defsink when the biggest defsink of round 18 was, undoubtedly, Atom_Smasher who was also Escape!
5:8's IN GAL def > *
^^
Satyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2007, 09:47   #252
`mac^
Retired insomniac

`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
Definately, it was great working with him at that time. Wonder how he eventually disappeared - and if for good.
Im sure Teddy is still around keiz

Currently - Ultores
`mac^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2007, 14:34   #253
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyr
5:8's IN GAL def > *
^^
funny, since I saw tons of out of gal def fleets there too all the time.
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 01:33   #254
Satyr

Satyr has a spectacular aura aboutSatyr has a spectacular aura aboutSatyr has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
funny, since I saw tons of out of gal def fleets there too all the time.
should have checked the amount of hostile fleets too once in a while, but yes u r right though, he did receive a nice amount of ally def most of the time
Satyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 13:18   #255
voodoo
a pain

voodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond repute

3:2 ftw?
next to 0 ally def, and dozens of ingal fleets flying each morning.
apart from that, i think that the escape-bashing success was mainly due to the fact that omen was zik heavy, and yes, those fakes worked miracles.
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 17:59   #256
add100
add

add100 has a spectacular aura aboutadd100 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo
apart from that, i think that the escape-bashing success was mainly due to the fact that omen was zik heavy, and yes, those fakes worked miracles.
yer that was the fun times....
r21 Wolfpack
r22 Jenova
r23 Destiny
add100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 20:01   #257
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo
Yeah, getting my def ships killed at Adrian's place like 3 times was really fun...
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 10:18   #258
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yeah, getting my def ships killed at Adrian's place like 3 times was really fun...
but your good at getting your ships killed kila

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 14:29   #259
_Kila_
break it down!

I was actually doing fairly decently for once, and had quite a lot of def ships because Tearz paid for my credit so I was a defwhore, and ofc used the ships for ingal def - and then they went poof
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 06:21   #260
Pilgrim
Bline

Pilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amycus
You can say that a player is only as good as his alliance
And then you get people like Rion who sit there and p0wn PA with his p3on ally followers

Rion FTW!!

Last edited by Pilgrim; 15 Jan 2007 at 11:30.
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2007, 14:11   #261
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
And then you get people like Rion who sit there and p0wn PA with his p3on ally followers

Rion FTW!!
in all fairness pilgrim, what the **** are you on about

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2007, 23:55   #262
Crowly
Orbit HC

Crowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to behold

lol.

In the speedgame rion claimed that suiciding ships for xp was cheating and he 'reported me to the admins.'

I don't know if this was a moment of madness or a character trait, but it sure made me laugh.
Crowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2007, 00:23   #263
_Kila_
break it down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim

Rion FTW!!
read your rep - Lok

Last edited by lokken; 17 Jan 2007 at 04:08.
_Kila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2007, 07:02   #264
Ziw
cute and fluffy

Ziw is a jewel in the roughZiw is a jewel in the roughZiw is a jewel in the rough

Superpower are far gone, as are the players who made the superpowers.
So for r20 I'd say, none.
[23:19:48] <wish> Thats gay. I like it
Ziw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2007, 23:25   #265
MaxMilliaN
red looks good on me eh

MaxMilliaN is infamous around these partsMaxMilliaN is infamous around these partsMaxMilliaN is infamous around these partsMaxMilliaN is infamous around these partsMaxMilliaN is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
ND have fought hard wars round after round.
what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla
I signed up to make sure eX didnt win the round, thanks to your HCs last decision it looks like I succeeded
Apprime
MaxMilliaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2007, 20:45   #266
Cartman
eXilition seXyness

Cartman has a spectacular aura aboutCartman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziw
must say i agree.. its more a question of who will be the contenders for the round
[Spore] ~ High Council
[Norsemen] ~ Chief
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2007, 22:54   #267
_Kila_
break it down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziw
This depends on how you define "superpowers".
If you define superpowers as the superior alliances, then there will be a superpower in every round as there is, inevitably, a difference between the capability of alliances every round.
Unread 24 Jan 2007, 23:41   #268
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
This depends on how you define "superpowers".
If you define superpowers as the superior alliances, then there will be a superpower in every round as there is, inevitably, a difference between the capability of alliances every round.
That's not how it's defined - I'm sure we had this discussion back on page 1/2, but I'm not going to check for the sake of it. A normal power is an alliance that, through its great military or political strength, is able to exert power over alliance politics. Its opinions are strongly taken into account by other alliances before they take their own political or military action.This alliance has the ability to intervene in almost any war, should they choose to do so. An example of this would be Furious Omen.

A superpower, on the other hand, has the ability to influence events and project its power on a universal scale. It can deploy its military assets anywhere at very short notice, and would almost always have strong internal support for doing so. A superpower will often have a developed philosophy of playing Planetarion - a certain culture that the alliance embodies. Furthermore, the superpower will generally have (or have the ability to have) a number of other alliances under its control, should it choose to go down this route. eXilition would be a perfect example, suiting all three of these conditions.

What you're describing is the comparative, comparing one alliance against another. What the thread's actually dealing with is the superlative: will any alliance (or alliances) fit the bill for being considered a superpower?
Unread 25 Jan 2007, 09:14   #269
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say Ct has potential. They've got enough experience in, if they put up a good internal structure and tools to support that I'm sure we'll be seeing alot more.
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2007, 00:19   #270
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
That's not how it's defined - I'm sure we had this discussion back on page 1/2, but I'm not going to check for the sake of it. A normal power is an alliance that, through its great military or political strength, is able to exert power over alliance politics. Its opinions are strongly taken into account by other alliances before they take their own political or military action.This alliance has the ability to intervene in almost any war, should they choose to do so. An example of this would be Furious Omen.

A superpower, on the other hand, has the ability to influence events and project its power on a universal scale. It can deploy its military assets anywhere at very short notice, and would almost always have strong internal support for doing so. A superpower will often have a developed philosophy of playing Planetarion - a certain culture that the alliance embodies. Furthermore, the superpower will generally have (or have the ability to have) a number of other alliances under its control, should it choose to go down this route. eXilition would be a perfect example, suiting all three of these conditions.

What you're describing is the comparative, comparing one alliance against another. What the thread's actually dealing with is the superlative: will any alliance (or alliances) fit the bill for being considered a superpower?
I created the term superpower on the PA wiki originally. I'm biased but the superpowers to me were in order of appearance:

Bluetuba (r2 era)
Fury(r2-r7 - r4 inc due to the amazing recovery for the next round after near total collapse and r6 due to the fact Fury was always considered the main threat)
Legion(r2-r7 - it's perk being r2/r3. Author believes it's power waned during the latter two rounds)
Xanadu (r4-r7 - main opponent for 'Furgion' - known mostly as the Fury-Xan War)
1up (r11-r18 - destroyed the novelty of blocks after the atrocious FAnG/Mistu/Phraktos setup. Unavoidable afterwards)
eXilition(r13,r15,r18 - only alliance to be able to stand up to 1up and win. I always debated them as a superpower due to their pick and choose method of which rounds to play - to not hold consistenty of playing like Legion or Fury as it was determined that an alliance had to keep it going, but I'm puttiing them here because it'd be unfair not too)

No current alliance -is- a superpower. Newdawn has the potential to be one, as well as CT, though CT could be reliant on its roots to older alliances and it's their first round. CT will have alot to prove, because Eclipse, whilst a solid alliance, with probably the most dominant win in PA, I never counted as a superpower. It just didn't keep going enough.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote