User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Closed Thread
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 00:42   #51
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: The beginning of the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
It's nice to see that you chose to ignore my perfectly reasonable request to explain your accusation that my actions were somehow wrong and instead decided to expand your less than relevant point that nobody before you has even alluded to.

It really made you look intelligent.

And when I ask you to explain your accusation I am not asking you to make a snide remark that in your mind somehow alludes to whatever it is you may or may not be trying to say but when viewed by others actually comes across as nothing more than a random comment. I am asking you to state your explanation clearly.
what accusation?

read my posts, i just said, if you wanted something done do it yourself. then you said, you already tried and failed. then i asked to clarify my understanding of what your trying to do, which you then confirmed. and finally i tried it myself.

shall i condense it to an explanation without words with over two syllables now or ?
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 00:58   #52
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
what accusation?

read my posts, i just said, if you wanted something done do it yourself. then you said, you already tried and failed. then i asked to clarify my understanding of what your trying to do, which you then confirmed. and finally i tried it myself.

shall i condense it to an explanation without words with over two syllables now or ?
That is a very interesting version of events that you have there, I wish I had your imagination. Now let's go take a look at what actually took place:

Quote:
so basically, you can't get em killed with your alliance so now your making an ever so subtle plea for someone else to do it?
This was the comment that I was objecting to. In my answer I specifically quoted only this part of your reply and stated that I took it to mean that you objected to my course of actions. Of course it is possible that you did not in fact imply that this course of action was wrong. If you did you should have said as much in order to avoid the confusion that ensued. That's beside the point though. What it does mean is that you agree that I have done everything in my power to correct the problem before us and my current attitude is the correct one to have. Can't argue with that. That's the whole reason why I created this thread in the first place, to get people to discuss what could be done seeing as I have already done everything I can.

Quote:
and finally i tried it myself.
What this says to me is that you saw the problem at hand as I saw it and decided that you would try and do what I did but failed to do. Now, if I'm wrong here say so. I will address your original post assuming that this is what you meant:

Quote:
hello guys, id like pretty much all of lch killed because they hound out my planet as per usual and it's slightly irritating. i can't do it myself though, as my planet is quite tiny value wise now because of aforementioned hounding and can't run attacks on them unless decreed by my HC because we follow pretty strict targetlists. so i figure i can ask on the pa forums in hope you lot do it for me, ok? thanks
This scenario here is nothing like the original scenario. The original scenario was that we are letting the no. 1 alliance and no. 1 galaxy walk away with the victory and we have to do something to make them fight harder for the top spot.

What the scenario you bring up is saying though is that you are being attacked by a certain alliance. You do not want this alliance to attack you anymore so you are calling on the rest of us to help you take them down. This has absolutely nothing in common with the topic at hand and in fact does not belong in this thread. If you do want this grievance you have addressed by the wider community then kindly make your own thread to discuss the matter. Do not hijack my thread and try to twist it towards your own agenda.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 01:32   #53
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

furssie can only hope to improve

Quote:
What is your fuzz about top gal? Why such vendetta and your efforts to bring them down is pathetic.

Mind you, people are busy with these alliance wars - people have no time for such galaxy rankings.

The top gal seems to be a really top dog people judging the newsies and from what i've heard, they are a 'fleet drain' whenever targetted due to the amount of defense since their alliances prioritize their def (probably stratetically sound to keep them alive) and the ingal def going on seems better than normal. Either 1up or LCH or F-crew or any alliance out there needed atleast 40 or more planets claiming to have a decent raid - and guess what, more than half of those could be covered. Hence a fleet drain.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 01:43   #54
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by furssie
What is your fuzz about top gal? Why such vendetta and your efforts to bring them down is pathetic.
My problem is not with the people who currently reside in the top galaxy. I don't even know what alliance any of them is in, let alone what any of their IRC nicks are. My problem is that I do not want the race for no. 1 galaxy to be decided now. If you think this shouldn't be case then that's fine, but don't go making up vendettas that do not exist.

Quote:
Mind you, people are busy with these alliance wars - people have no time for such galaxy rankings.

The top gal seems to be a really top dog people judging the newsies and from what i've heard, they are a 'fleet drain' whenever targetted due to the amount of defense since their alliances prioritize their def (probably stratetically sound to keep them alive) and the ingal def going on seems better than normal. Either 1up or LCH or F-crew or any alliance out there needed atleast 40 or more planets claiming to have a decent raid - and guess what, more than half of those could be covered. Hence a fleet drain.
You're probably right. I still think that more effort should be made to take their roids due to the fact that they are currently walking away with the victory. The problem of fleet draining can be alleviated by my idea of as many alliances as possible agreeing not to defend their members in the no. 1 galaxy. Just to clarify, this agreement applies to the no. 1 galaxy, not to any specific set of coordinates. If 6:10 drop out of the no. 1 spot then the agreement is moved to the new no. 1, it is no longer valid with 6:10.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 02:23   #55
Treveler
Its time to roll the dice

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

I think my eyes delude me. Are you suggesting that the #1 gal should not receive alliance defence and possible add this as a game feature? The #1 gal should play at completely different rules then any other gal playing this game? Maybe they are #1 because they roid and defend better then everyone else? The stupidity and short sightedness behind this suggestion amuses me. Keep it up!

What about the #1 alliance. Should they be made unable to defend each other? Yohoo, free roids for everybody!
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 02:26   #56
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
You're probably right. I still think that more effort should be made to take their roids due to the fact that they are currently walking away with the victory. The problem of fleet draining can be alleviated by my idea of as many alliances as possible agreeing not to defend their members in the no. 1 galaxy. Just to clarify, this agreement applies to the no. 1 galaxy, not to any specific set of coordinates. If 6:10 drop out of the no. 1 spot then the agreement is moved to the new no. 1, it is no longer valid with 6:10.
So you couldn't possibly fight to be #1? Sorrie, the #1 galaxy deserves to be there, every member of that gal has sacrificed a lot of time sleep etc and put a LOT into it. Sorrie, it's one of most stupid sudgestions I've seen so far.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 02:29   #57
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treveler
I think my eyes delude me. Are you suggesting that the #1 gal should not receive alliance defence and possible add this as a game feature? The #1 gal should play at completely different rules then any other gal playing this game? Maybe they are #1 because they roid and defend better then everyone else? The stupidity and short sightedness behind this suggestion amuses me. Keep it up!
Yes, that is what I'm suggesting. Like I said many people wouldn't like it and I don't think it's something that will ever happen. In my opinion it would be a good thing though because it would make the position of no. 1 spot something that is earned by cooperating with your galaxy, not what alliances happen to be in your galaxy. If you disagree then fair enough but I find your baseless assertion that your point of view is somehow better than mine amusing.

Quote:
What about the #1 alliance. Should they be made unable to defend each other? Yohoo, free roids for everybody!
This is entirely different. The position of no. 1 alliance should go to the alliance that is best at operating as an alliance, not the alliance that is best at not operating as an alliance. See the difference?
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 02:35   #58
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Treet
So you couldn't possibly fight to be #1?
You may have a point here. What would possibly happen if this idea is hard coded into the game is that the Universe will see any new galaxy turning up at the number 1 spot as easy prey and launch wave upon wave of hostiles at them. This is not the intention of the rule, the rule would be there to give the top galaxy a harder fight, not an impossible fight.

I congratulate you, you are the first person in this thread to make a single valid counter to my idea. If I had posted it on Planetarion Suggestions this probably would have come up after 2 or 3 replies.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 02:40   #59
Treveler

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

Quote:
This is entirely different. The position of no. 1 alliance should go to the alliance that is best at operating as an alliance, not the alliance that is best at not operating as an alliance. See the difference?
And the #1 gal should be decided by who manage to lure themselves into the top spot right before the round ends? What if the #1 gal is there because they are the best at operating as a gal? If so, I don’t see the difference.

If this were a cry to stop top gals from fencesitting and not some ludicrous suggestion to hold back def for the top gal, I would agree. Fencesitting is bad, but avoiding def to a gal that don’t need it is, ehh, strange....
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 03:19   #60
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
And the #1 gal should be decided by who manage to lure themselves into the top spot right before the round ends?
For the same reasons as I gave to Orion Treet I have to say that you are probably right.

Quote:
What if the #1 gal is there because they are the best at operating as a gal? If so, I don’t see the difference.
Then they should prove it. They should cooperate with each other rather than with their alliances. After all this is why a credit is given to every planet in the winning galaxy, not to every alliance that happens to have a planet in the winning galaxy. I still agree with you about my idea being a tad drastic by the way.

Quote:
avoiding def to a gal that don’t need it is, ehh, strange....
I find your choice of phrase here funny.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 09:35   #61
Desse
Pr0nstar

Desse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud of

Quote:
For the same reasons as I gave to Orion Treet I have to say that you are probably right.

Then they should prove it. They should cooperate with each other rather than with their alliances. After all this is why a credit is given to every planet in the winning galaxy, not to every alliance that happens to have a planet in the winning galaxy. I still agree with you about my idea being a tad drastic by the way.

I find your choice of phrase here funny.
The top gals are cooperating both as a gal and with their alliances. That is how PA should be played. As Treveller said, if the top gals were fencesitting that would be another matter, which I am sure their alliacnces would soon put a stop to.

Ascendancy - While you were trying, we were sleeping

(@Karmulian) i deffo got roided looking at my planets
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 10:00   #62
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Of course it is possible that you did not in fact imply that this course of action was wrong.
spot on. i was being lazy so probably missed the 'stating of how you took it' etc initially.

Quote:
This scenario here is nothing like the original scenario. The original scenario was that we are letting the no. 1 alliance and no. 1 galaxy walk away with the victory and we have to do something to make them fight harder for the top spot.
and?

Quote:
What the scenario you bring up is saying though is that you are being attacked by a certain alliance. You do not want this alliance to attack you anymore so you are calling on the rest of us to help you take them down. This has absolutely nothing in common with the topic at hand and in fact does not belong in this thread. If you do want this grievance you have addressed by the wider community then kindly make your own thread to discuss the matter.
yes.

Quote:
Do not hijack my thread and try to twist it towards your own agenda.
that would've got deleted for trolling/laughed at for ludacrisy(if that's a word).
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 11:40   #63
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
and?
And nothing. I'm not saying whether you're right or wrong, just that it isn't relevant to this thread.

Quote:
that would've got deleted for trolling/laughed at for ludacrisy(if that's a word).
Your post would have been deleted? I wish it had been seeing as it was off topic.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 14:49   #64
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

besides the level of stupidity of chubby checker in general i am quite surprised he can't grasp the idea of alliances wanting to defend their own members heh.

don't suggest he becomes a BC anymore jerome... he might not defend it's members because they are in a better gal then him. Don't be that mean to his alliance
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 15:00   #65
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher
besides the level of stupidity of chubby checker in general i am quite surprised he can't grasp the idea of alliances wanting to defend their own members heh.

don't suggest he becomes a BC anymore jerome... he might not defend it's members because they are in a better gal then him. Don't be that mean to his alliance
Oh look, another peon coming in here and throwing unfounded accusations around as if they are gospel. Not only are your accusations uncalled for they are not grounded in any form of fact and are therefore worthless.

I suggest you take the time required to actually read what was posted in this thread, not just by me but by everyone. I assume you are willing to invest the required time since after all you were willing to post in this thread.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 15:19   #66
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

I got ozzy in this thread and noticed the top gal loosing roids, so i start gathering some information from my mates there. They help me count the number of hostile fleets that launched on them today - exactly 223 hostile fleets launched on that galaxy today since 1GMT - they only lost roughly 11%. 3 out of 4 of the alliances that coordinatedly hit them today is negative in growth.

Statistics-wise, the hostile fleet launched is four-times as many when 8:3 looses (when they are the runner-up gal) 40% roids.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 15:34   #67
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
I got ozzy in this thread and noticed the top gal loosing roids, so i start gathering some information from my mates there. They help me count the number of hostile fleets that launched on them today - exactly 223 hostile fleets launched on that galaxy today since 1GMT - they only lost roughly 11%. 3 out of 4 of the alliances that coordinatedly hit them today is negative in growth.

Statistics-wise, the hostile fleet launched is four-times as many when 8:3 looses (when they are the runner-up gal) 40% roids.
Just goes to show that they're not being hit hard enough.

And before anybody starts droning on again I do realise that it's possible that at this point it's not possible to hit them hard enough and the no. 1 galaxy has already been decided. Doesn't mean that's how it should be though.

Interesting piece of information by the way.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 15:36   #68
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:

Who are the 4 alliances, my intel suggests it was only 2 alliances. I'm guessing from the 3 out 4 comment your suggesting this was Reunion, F-Crew and NoS as 1up wouldnt be attacking their own planets now would they
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew

Last edited by wakey; 19 Aug 2005 at 15:46.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 15:51   #69
Treveler

8:3 had 4-5 waves on every planet the night they lost 40% roids. They were hit by multiple alliances tho it wasnt all coordinated.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 15:57   #70
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

Quote:

Interesting piece of information by the way.
No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Who are the 4 alliances, my intel suggests it was only 2 alliances. I'm guessing from the 3 out 4 comment your suggesting this was Reunion, F-Crew and NoS as 1up wouldnt be attacking their own planets now would they
There is something that is called coincidental targetting or accidental piggying.

2 of your negative gainers guess is correct, the other one is someone you miss in sandman/pilkara who is also on negative growth today as of this tick.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 15:57   #71
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
8:3 had 4-5 waves on every planet the night they lost 40% roids.
The roid and score distribution probally helped 8:3 lose more as well. Sandman clears shows that in 6:10 about 6 people account for most of the galaxies score and roids, now it seems from Sandmans that these 6 planets were able to draw enough defence, probally due to their alliances giving them priority on defence due to their ranking to prevent the waves on them from landing, so this has meant that even though the losses for the rest were fairly high these people have been able to offset any losses hence making the damage have less impact. If they had been more even liek 8:3 these big planets wouldnt be masking the losses as much
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 16:04   #72
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
No problem

There is something that is called coincidental targetting or accidental piggying.

2 of your negative gainers guess is correct, the other one is someone you miss in sandman/pilkara who is also on negative growth today as of this tick.
You implied they were working together. Oh and the other one you think was involved must be HR who DIDN'T attack 6:10 last night. They actually hit them the night before suiciding much of their fleets, the mistake has perhaps been made because somehow F-Crew has been given the honour of that attack due to some flawed intel by the alliances present in that galaxy
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 16:09   #73
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
The roid and score distribution probally helped 8:3 lose more as well. Sandman clears shows that in 6:10 about 6 people account for most of the galaxies score and roids, now it seems from Sandmans that these 6 planets were able to draw enough defence, probally due to their alliances giving them priority on defence due to their ranking to prevent the waves on them from landing, so this has meant that even though the losses for the rest were fairly high these people have been able to offset any losses hence making the damage have less impact. If they had been more even liek 8:3 these big planets wouldnt be masking the losses as much
http://www.sandmans.co.uk/?p=viewgalaxy&x=6&y=10

One planet in 6:10 with over 1000 roids lost roids today. The rest lost nothing.

So it appears that you are correct.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 16:16   #74
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

Quote:
I am curious about this. I have a feeling i didnt get it, so feel free to enlighten.

What is the technique in masking roids loss? How did 8:3 masked 40%, whilst 6:10 is 10%. It's clear numbers, which cant be hidden or masked in any way.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 16:24   #75
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

wakey your intel isn't entirely right heh
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 16:27   #76
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
I am curious about this. I have a feeling i didnt get it, so feel free to enlighten.

What is the technique in masking roids loss? How did 8:3 masked 40%, whilst 6:10 is 10%. It's clear numbers, which cant be hidden or masked in any way.
He's saying that the small planets in 6:10 lost a lot while the big planets lost practically nothing. When you look at how many roids the entire galaxy lost this makes it look like nobody lost a lot.

I know that wakey should have answered this but I'm a loudmouth that doesn't know when to shut the hell up
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 16:28   #77
Desse
Pr0nstar

Desse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud of

Quote:
They actually hit them the night before suiciding much of their fleets, the mistake has perhaps been made because somehow F-Crew has been given the honour of that attack due to some flawed intel by the alliances present in that galaxy
F-crew has actually suicided quite a few fleets today according to the Battle reports I have seen.

Unread 19 Aug 2005, 16:36   #78
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher
wakey your intel isn't entirely right heh
Which part are you trying to tell me is wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desse
F-crew has actually suicided quite a few fleets today according to the Battle reports I have seen.
A Few F-Crew members always suicide their fleets, a handful have a habit of sleeping in and missing recall notices Certainly though our losses today have mainly been at our own planets not in attacking operations with most people who landed the various attacks we had going across the universe only taking acceptable losses
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 17:05   #79
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Why is it hard to take down the number 1 galaxy? I would think the answer was obvious.

With 5 top 50 planets, they are essentially masters of cross defending. CO incoming? Get one of the terrans to send 3k gryphons. They have a power of numbers which is very difficult to stop. When none of the top 5 alliances are involved in hitting the galaxy, big team-ups are needed on the large planets as well. Simply, the galaxy contains the best planets of a couple of big alliances, which makes things very difficult.

In the first place, you need members or groups of members to team up on these guys. That's step one. Step two is getting past their defence, which with the power of cross-defence AND fakes (ETA 5 in-gal for all classes) is even harder. They are not impregnable, but if you want to see them taken down, then get a big alliance involved, one with a lot of members and a high average score.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 17:11   #80
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Why is it hard to take down the number 1 galaxy? I would think the answer was obvious.

With 5 top 50 planets, they are essentially masters of cross defending. CO incoming? Get one of the terrans to send 3k gryphons. They have a power of numbers which is very difficult to stop. When none of the top 5 alliances are involved in hitting the galaxy, big team-ups are needed on the large planets as well. Simply, the galaxy contains the best planets of a couple of big alliances, which makes things very difficult.

In the first place, you need members or groups of members to team up on these guys. That's step one. Step two is getting past their defence, which with the power of cross-defence AND fakes (ETA 5 in-gal for all classes) is even harder. They are not impregnable, but if you want to see them taken down, then get a big alliance involved, one with a lot of members and a high average score.
You're right.

That is why I think that not allowing alliances to defend their planets in the no. 1 galaxy is a good idea. Helps you get past that formidable cross defending problem. I know a lot of you think I'm wrong in this and you may well have a point. You're not particularly adept at getting your own point across though (not aimed at you furball).

Like I said the free credit at the end of the round goes to each planet in the no. 1 galaxy, not to each alliance with a planet in that galaxy.

As for getting a large alliance involved, I think that idea pretty much sinks straight away since if that were possible it would be done already. The no. 1 galaxy's roid count is testament to the fact that it has not been done.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 17:17   #81
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
You're right.

That is why I think that not allowing alliances to defend their planets in the no. 1 galaxy is a good idea. Helps you get past that formidable cross defending problem. I know a lot of you think I'm wrong in this and you may well have a point. You're not particularly adept at getting your own point across though (not aimed at you furball).

Like I said the free credit at the end of the round goes to each planet in the no. 1 galaxy, not to each alliance with a planet in that galaxy.

As for getting a large alliance involved, I think that idea pretty much sinks straight away since if that were possible it would be done already. The no. 1 galaxy's roid count is testament to the fact that it has not been done.

How many times do you want to say this? wtf is the point noone would go for #1 gal until last tick people wouldnt go for xp they would most likely bash to keep score down then stockpile abit. I really dont understand this no ally def for the #1 gal. Its Stupid VERY STUPID.

A gal can work hard and be active and as soon as they hit #1 can get mass waved and they cant cover it all in gal. What you gonna say next maybe limit top alliance to 1 fleet or 2 fleets. Or how about seeing your gal is top10 let all non first top place gals planets or even just the ministers have omg 10 fleets! .

Last edited by Benneh; 19 Aug 2005 at 17:18. Reason: Extra seriousness added
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 17:17   #82
Desse
Pr0nstar

Quote:
You're right.

That is why I think that not allowing alliances to defend their planets in the no. 1 galaxy is a good idea. Helps you get past that formidable cross defending problem. How is banning them from alliance defence preventing them crossdefending ?

Like I said the free credit at the end of the round goes to each planet in the no. 1 galaxy, not to each alliance with a planet in that galaxy. Point being ? Where does it say, that being in #1 gal makes you a bad member ?
I really don´t understand, why you persist in wanting to make good players effectively alliance less, because they have been playing a good round.

Punishing good players so that others can keep up ?

Next round are we going to play with a Handicap to make things more even ? #1 planet starts with half the roids and ressources ?

#1 alliance only allowed to have 60 members to even the field out ?

Unread 19 Aug 2005, 17:39   #83
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
He's saying that the small planets in 6:10 lost a lot while the big planets lost practically nothing. When you look at how many roids the entire galaxy lost this makes it look like nobody lost a lot.

I know that wakey should have answered this but I'm a loudmouth that doesn't know when to shut the hell up
I will expand a bit.

Currently 6:10 has around 19k roids in their galaxy. 69% of these roids are in the hands of the top 6 planets. 5:8 on the other hand have 8.5k roids with just 53% belonging to the top 6. Now this skews the percentages significantly when your calaculating the impact it has on a galaxies losses.

Now if we take 6:10:3 and 8:3:2 you will see what I mean. Both have pretty much the same roids, botba re the 5th worst planet in the galaxy. If you hit either and got max cap you would steal pretty mcuh the same amount of roids. HOWEVER the percentage loss for the galaxy tells a vastly differnt story. The percentage roids lost read

8:3 - 3.6%
6:10 - 1.6%

This means that unless you can land on 6:10's top 6 players doing 40% damage to thems a tough call. Ofc if you do get through on a couple of the top 6 it cam skew the figures the other way thus making an attack that doesnt land on many of its targets look more successful than it was
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 17:51   #84
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker
How many times do you want to say this? wtf is the point noone would go for #1 gal until last tick people wouldnt go for xp they would most likely bash to keep score down then stockpile abit. I really dont understand this no ally def for the #1 gal. Its Stupid VERY STUPID.

A gal can work hard and be active and as soon as they hit #1 can get mass waved and they cant cover it all in gal. What you gonna say next maybe limit top alliance to 1 fleet or 2 fleets. Or how about seeing your gal is top10 let all non first top place gals planets or even just the ministers have omg 10 fleets! .

You're right about me harping on about a dead idea, I only did it because the thread had started becoming about something else (rightly so) and all I wanted to do was keep the flame train going. I'd better stop now since it's getting boring. Still, it was fun while it lasted.

Quote:
I really don´t understand, why you persist in wanting to make good players effectively alliance less, because they have been playing a good round.

Punishing good players so that others can keep up ?

Next round are we going to play with a Handicap to make things more even ? #1 planet starts with half the roids and ressources ?

#1 alliance only allowed to have 60 members to even the field out ?
Sames goes to you

Although making alliances have only 60 planets (all alliances, regardless of rank) might be a good idea seeing how small the Universe is becoming. That's a topic for another thread though.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 22:48   #85
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

No planet should ever receive a penalty for being successful. Or a galaxy. Or a alliance. In terms of planet/galaxy play a lot of it comes out of luck - there are people outside the top 100 who are probably just as good as the #1, they have simply been unlucky. 6:10 can be taken down, it is only possible via a situation I would call endgame though.

The big problem the game has is that put quite simply, the round is too long. 10 weeks is an unreasonable time to allow such a small universe to continue. 8 weeks is the absolute maximum, simply because players will burn out enough as it is. There's also the factor that alliances are less willing to act, simply because the time left on the clock won't let them, because there's too much of it. This round is already showing age, and that indicates that 10 weeks is far too long for this round to exist.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 23:26   #86
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
No planet should ever receive a penalty for being successful. Or a galaxy. Or a alliance. In terms of planet/galaxy play a lot of it comes out of luck - there are people outside the top 100 who are probably just as good as the #1, they have simply been unlucky. 6:10 can be taken down, it is only possible via a situation I would call endgame though.
I agree with you regarding the top planet and top alliance, there should be no in-game restriction on them. The whole point of an alliance is for them to work together within the confines of the game to achieve as high a ranking as they possibly can. You choose who you are in an alliance with so this is all about skill. As for top planet they can be taken down pretty easily without having to resort to in-game tampering. Again, being top planet is about skill. You don't suddenly realise that you're the number 1 planet at the end of the round and wonder how the hell it happened. I don't see a galaxy in as cut and dried a way though.

A galaxy is in essence a collection of random people playing together for their mutual benefit. Well, they would be random if we didn't have a hugely exploitable self exile system anyway. So to say that your galaxy being no. 1 is all about your own personal skill would be wrong seeing as the choice of galaxy mates is not down to you. The galaxy that wins the round always has a lucky mix of alliances in the galaxy, this is a large part of the reason why they win. Again, this is not due to skill.

So the fact that the initial make up of a galaxy is randomly determined can be extrapolated to say that the make up of the top galaxy throughout the round should also have some element of randomness in it. This will ensure that the initial randomness does not in itself determine the course of the entire round because there is further randomness added later. A possible way to introduce this random element would be to exile the largest planet in the no. 1 galaxy every 300 ticks starting at tick 300. This will mean that the position of no. 1 galaxy will be that little bit more dynamic seeing as a valuable player is moved elsewhere every so often. There will only be 5 forced exiles throughout the course of the round so the effect this would have would not be that great.

By the way the above is just an idea. It would be nice if people take this into account if and when they choose to comment on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
The big problem the game has is that put quite simply, the round is too long. 10 weeks is an unreasonable time to allow such a small universe to continue. 8 weeks is the absolute maximum, simply because players will burn out enough as it is. There's also the factor that alliances are less willing to act, simply because the time left on the clock won't let them, because there's too much of it. This round is already showing age, and that indicates that 10 weeks is far too long for this round to exist.
You may well be right. I personally like the idea of a longer round (not longer than 10 weeks) because it gives you more time to play with fewer Research based restrictions on you. I can see why 8 weeks would be less likely to promote stagnation though. Then again the game isn't particularly stagnant now. It may well become so in future rounds though.

The other problem that you have with an 8 week round is that people will complain that you are giving them 20% less playing time for the same price. Bad value for money they'll cry. I personally think that £5 is a reasonable price for 8 weeks of play but many people may not see it that way.
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 23:43   #87
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

I agree with Lok, maybe its only summer rounds that will struggle with such a small memberbase though, maybe next round it can be longer.
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 01:57   #88
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

To be honest, I'd rather pay for an 8 week round than a 10 week one, because I know what it's like to burn out in PA. It detracts from the experience as a whole. For a long time now I've thought that 8 weeks would be the ideal round length these days; since round 11 at least.
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 03:24   #89
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball

Cross deffing 4-5 waves is basicly impossible, you can get a few waves covered that way, but is far from capapable of stopping on all out attack on their gal. Mostly it's ally def that covers attacks like that (alliances tend to favor certain gals for winning )
<Zhil> I am HC
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Unread 20 Aug 2005, 11:48   #90
Geezer77
There's Only One United!!

Geezer77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A possible way to introduce this random element would be to exile the largest planet in the no. 1 galaxy every 300 ticks starting at tick 300. This will mean that the position of no. 1 galaxy will be that little bit more dynamic seeing as a valuable player is moved elsewhere every so often. There will only be 5 forced exiles throughout the course of the round so the effect this would have would not be that great.

By the way the above is just an idea. It would be nice if people take this into account if and when they choose to comment on it.
This in my opinion breaks up the whole point of creating a galaxy. Why should players that happen to be big be forceibly moved to a weaker gal just because they are in the #1 gal at the present time. Galaxies are in my view, meant to work together to help each other gain the best possible score, Considering this is the whole point of the game, this also benefits the alliances involved. Now whether some players want to do that or not is a different matter. But the #1 gal general is #1 because they have worked together more succesfuly than the rest. Breaking up the gal because it has big players in would not only make the #1 gal lose a key player in there success, but also make that planet alot more easily to attack. So the alliance and the planet itself will lose out. (This is assuming that the planet in question is probably high rank with high roid rank and value than most other planets in the Uni)

You can't change the game to give a handicap to players who are in the #1 gal, they are playing the game like everyone else. Just alot more organised than most galaxies in the Uni, Hence why they are #1 rank

'Death Smiles at us all, All a Man can do is Smile Back'
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 13:17   #91
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer77
This in my opinion breaks up the whole point of creating a galaxy. Why should players that happen to be big be forceibly moved to a weaker gal just because they are in the #1 gal at the present time. Galaxies are in my view, meant to work together to help each other gain the best possible score, Considering this is the whole point of the game, this also benefits the alliances involved. Now whether some players want to do that or not is a different matter. But the #1 gal general is #1 because they have worked together more succesfuly than the rest. Breaking up the gal because it has big players in would not only make the #1 gal lose a key player in there success, but also make that planet alot more easily to attack. So the alliance and the planet itself will lose out. (This is assuming that the planet in question is probably high rank with high roid rank and value than most other planets in the Uni)

You can't change the game to give a handicap to players who are in the #1 gal, they are playing the game like everyone else. Just alot more organised than most galaxies in the Uni, Hence why they are #1 rank
The problem is that at tick 36 you were subjected to a shuffle. Assuming you were even in a buddy pack you were allowed to choose a grand total of 2 other people to shuffle with you. The 3 of you may be the most skilled players in the game but you're not going to get to no. 1 if none of your other galaxy mates are up to scratch. This is in no way shape or form fair.

For this reason submitting the top galaxies (I actually think the top 10 galaxies should be subjected to this, not just the top 1. That's not really relevant though) to forceful exiles cannot be said to be unfair. I am sure the 18 people in the top galaxy are very dedicated but I am also sure there are dozens if not hundreds of more dedicated people in lower ranking galaxies, they were just unlucky enough to land with the galaxy mates that they did land with.

A galaxy is in essence a random entity, that's what the shuffle all about. So we might as well admit that it is a random entity and spread the randomness out a bit during the course of the round. Perhaps the solution is just go all out and impose a shuffle (without buddy packs) every 250 ticks and not give an award at the end of the round to the no. 1 galaxy. At least we'd be treating a galaxy for what it is. I don't think that's a good idea though because your galaxy is a large part of what makes this game. There needs to be a balance struck.
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 13:37   #92
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Quote:
The problem is that at tick 36 you were subjected to a shuffle. Assuming you were even in a buddy pack you were allowed to choose a grand total of 2 other people to shuffle with you. The 3 of you may be the most skilled players in the game but you're not going to get to no. 1 if none of your other galaxy mates are up to scratch. This is in no way shape or form fair.

For this reason submitting the top galaxies (I actually think the top 10 galaxies should be subjected to this, not just the top 1. That's not really relevant though) to forceful exiles cannot be said to be unfair. I am sure the 18 people in the top galaxy are very dedicated but I am also sure there are dozens if not hundreds of more dedicated people in lower ranking galaxies, they were just unlucky enough to land with the galaxy mates that they did land with.

A galaxy is in essence a random entity, that's what the shuffle all about. So we might as well admit that it is a random entity and spread the randomness out a bit during the course of the round. Perhaps the solution is just go all out and impose a shuffle (without buddy packs) every 250 ticks and not give an award at the end of the round to the no. 1 galaxy. At least we'd be treating a galaxy for what it is. I don't think that's a good idea though because your galaxy is a large part of what makes this game. There needs to be a balance struck.
It's simply unfair to those players, they've come to know their galaxy, probebly part of a buddypack that they CHOSE to spend the round with. At tick 300 you're pretty well set in your gal and know every active person etc. To be #1 in the #1 gal they put a goddamn LOT, HUGE ammount of time, they fought and helped keep that gal in #1 spot, they're playing not just for personal gain but also for gal, it's simply unfair to punnish them for dedication and hard work.
<Zhil> I am HC

Unread 20 Aug 2005, 13:49   #93
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Treet
It's simply unfair to those players, they've come to know their galaxy, probebly part of a buddypack that they CHOSE to spend the round with. At tick 300 you're pretty well set in your gal and know every active person etc. To be #1 in the #1 gal they put a goddamn LOT, HUGE ammount of time, they fought and helped keep that gal in #1 spot, they're playing not just for personal gain but also for gal, it's simply unfair to punnish them for dedication and hard work.
I've already said why it isn't unfair so I won't bother going on about it. What I will say though is this:

Revising my idea I would like to forcefully exile the no. 1 player from each of the top 10 galaxies. The exile will take place every 250 ticks from tick 250 to tick 1250. This gives you a grand total of 50 forced exiles throughout the round. These 50 people may well feel like they are being punished for the luck they experienced earlier in the round but a lot more than 50 people will experience the benefit of having a very valuable player enter their galaxy or the benefit they get from their galaxy suddenly becoming a contender for the no. 1 spot.

These 50 people who are forcefully exiled experienced some good luck earlier in the round so there is no reason for them to object to experiencing some bad luck later in the round.
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 14:49   #94
Desse
Pr0nstar

Put this in suggestions forum, it is nothing relevant to current round anymore.

Unread 20 Aug 2005, 14:52   #95
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Put this in suggestions forum, it is nothing relevant to current round anymore.
Get the hell out of this thread. You are not relevant here.
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 15:03   #96
Desse
Pr0nstar

Quote:
Get the hell out of this thread. You are not relevant here.
Please enlighten me on the merits this has on the current round ?

This thread has evolved into a discussion on a suggestion you have come up with.

Discussion seems to be on, whether we should have forced exiles or not.

Unread 20 Aug 2005, 15:06   #97
Geezer77

Quote:
I've already said why it isn't unfair so I won't bother going on about it. What I will say though is this:

Revising my idea I would like to forcefully exile the no. 1 player from each of the top 10 galaxies. The exile will take place every 250 ticks from tick 250 to tick 1250. This gives you a grand total of 50 forced exiles throughout the round. These 50 people may well feel like they are being punished for the luck they experienced earlier in the round but a lot more than 50 people will experience the benefit of having a very valuable player enter their galaxy or the benefit they get from their galaxy suddenly becoming a contender for the no. 1 spot.

These 50 people who are forcefully exiled experienced some good luck earlier in the round so there is no reason for them to object to experiencing some bad luck later in the round.
You can't punish someone for being lucky in what galaxy they end up in. As thats what it is, Luck. On my sig ive listed two gals that have been top10 over my time playing PA. Thats Two gals ive been in that had the ability to be top10 since PA r3. I have never complained when i have been in a bad gal, it's the way the game is. Your whole theory would just make the game unfair for the people in the top10 gals, so in my opinion it would only make the idea of galaxies even more irrelevant. I'm finding it hard to consider your points a serious argument, Half of everything is Luck, the other Half is Fate. Just leave it at that!!

Unread 20 Aug 2005, 15:12   #98
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Please enlighten me on the merits this has on the current round ?

This thread has evolved into a discussion on a suggestion you have come up with.

Discussion seems to be on, whether we should have forced exiles or not.
Since you've asked me to enlighten you I will:

I originally asked the question of what we are going to do about the current no. 1 alliance and no. 1 galaxy running away with the victory.
I then changed the question slightly to ask what we are going to hard code into the game to act as a check to stopping the no. 1 galaxy running away with it in future rounds. I posted a couple of ideas. One of the ideas has been discredited and discussion on that has stopped. The other idea is currently under discussion and in my opinion a number of people have raised some good points regarding it.

Now, if you think that me revising the question means that this thread needs to be moved to Planetarion Suggestions then I couldn't care less and nobody else who has contributed to the discussion does either. If you are a mod then move it yourself. If you are not a mod then privately message a mod and tell them to do it instead. Don't come in here and tell people to do something that is not in their power to do.
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 16:07   #99
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
You can't punish someone for being lucky in what galaxy they end up in.
Why not? First you give them some good luck then you give them some bad luck. Where's the problem? If you're not willing to give them bad luck then you shouldn't have given them any good luck in the first place. It's swings and roundabouts.

Quote:
I have never complained when i have been in a bad gal, it's the way the game is. Your whole theory would just make the game unfair for the people in the top10 gals, so in my opinion it would only make the idea of galaxies even more irrelevant. I'm finding it hard to consider your points a serious argument, Half of everything is Luck, the other Half is Fate. Just leave it at that!!
So you're saying that since galaxies are currently one way we should never change them because it would change the way they are. Seems a bit odd to me seeing as if we took that attitude nothing would ever change.
And in your eyes only exiling people in the top 10 galaxies would be "unfair". What about we exile a random planet from each galaxy every so often? Would be pretty pointless I think since exiling the highest scoring planet would be a lot more useful but then you'd just drone on about how "unfair" that is.

And to expand my point, only exiling the big planets in the big galaxies will make the game more of a challenge for them since they will have to learn to adapt. "Unfair" you say? Good players that end up in shit galaxies are being treated even more unfairly in that case.

I really fail to see what your post is saying, it doesn't seem to be saying anything. If you told me that a significant part of the game is learning to deal with and adapt to the people you're with from tick 36 to the end of the round then I'd see where you're coming from. You're not saying that though.
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 17:41   #100
Geezer77

For Starters you can't give someone luck, it just happens. What your suggesting isn't luck, it's a forced handicap on players just because they are playing the game better than anyone else in the round.

What i am implying if you bring in forced exiles, your basically destroying the point of bothering with galaxies, The whole point of the Galaxy system is to get a group of players together where they play to help each other making them collectively grow. Also they often for communities for later rounds and help new players who join there gal learn the game and grow if there willing too. If you forcebly exile there best players at certain points then there would be no point in this cohesion as there would be too much interferrence and players would not be willing to reveal themselves or there ally at all, which end of the day results lead to everyone just playing for themselves or alliance.

And i never said about never changing anything about the game, but my opinion of forced exiles is folly and it's basically saying if your better than the rest you will be punished. How can you classify that as fair. Just because you get a gal with people not willing to work together, inactive or whatever doesn't mean the game creators should punish the top players/gals to give the others a chance. Good players that end in shit gals happens all the time in every round, it's up to them whether they want to work with it or just moan about it. Those that generally play the game to there full capacity can still be high/decent rank. I did it myself in R12. And im not bigging myself up about that, im just making a point that even with a not so decent gal, you can still play the game and help your alliance/gal/yourself grow and have a great time to boot.

Closed Thread