User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 19 Dec 2004, 17:18   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Computer help thingy

I have a computer ala as I am typing, and my sister's come home for uni and wants to use the internet etc. on her laptop simultaenously if I'm using it on my PC. We're getting BB installed soon and was wondering, how would I go about installing all the stuff & setting it all up to share broadband?

We both have Ethernet cards and I have a Cat 5E duplex cable but last time I tried to network my PC to her laptop, I could see her PC on my PC under network places or something like that but I couldn't access her PC saying I needed administrative access or something and on her laptop my PC wasn't even in existance. If this is irrelevant, don't worry.

If we go for the wires broadband option, does it mean her laptop has to be connected through wires to my PC? Wireless is pretty expensive isn't it? If I bought a wireless router then wouldn't both the PC & Laptop require wireless NIC's ?
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2004, 17:21   #2
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Computer help thingy

Option one, Cable/ADSL Router (anywhere from £30 - £15000)
Option two, old PC with two NIC's and Freesco running on it
Option three, Windows ICS.
Option four
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2004, 17:22   #3
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Wireless router usually has four RJ45 ports on the back and acts like a mini hub. As the laptop is the only mobile machine, that could have a wireless PCMCIA card and the PC would be hard wired into the router.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2004, 17:08   #4
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Thanks skiddy
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime