User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 1 Aug 2005, 00:47   #1
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute
news.planetarion.com (aka the uplink)

does anybody ever update that?
does anybody ever even go there, or is it just another failed community idea?

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 17:37   #2
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: news.planetarion.com (aka the uplink)

There were a few of us {4?} that were writing to that on a regular basis... If people are willing to read it again, maybe I should go have a little chat with aryn and biffy and see what can be come up with. We attempted some R13/R12.... not sure how many read it mind you But... if people are willing to read it, then maybe we should get going on it again.

Btw, sov, you're writing the strategy section
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 17:59   #3
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

i read it on a regular basis in the past.. until i basicly never heard anything about it anymore, there is no real visible connection from Pa with that page (apart from a odd link @ the portal) atm and thus i guess most ppl simply forgot about it.
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 18:18   #4
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Hrm :s so we had 2 readers... eeexcellent
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 22:04   #5
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

I wrote for it once and I wrote an RL articale and it wasnt wanted
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 22:43   #6
Dotatrix

Dotatrix has a spectacular aura aboutDotatrix has a spectacular aura about

I've never even seen that (pardon my noobness)
R 14 [VsN] ---> [xVx]
R 15-17 [xVx]
R 18 [eXilition] Semi-retired half round
Dotatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 23:03   #7
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Go take a look then. some ok stuff in there from a while ago. At least, some of the reads are pretty amusing imho
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 01:31   #8
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

the concept is good, maybe if it had some more publicity and frequent updates, people might actually go there and read it.
I would love to see a site with frquently updated news about what's going on in the universe, who's attacking who, etc etc
would give me something to do whille waiting for yet another tick

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 02:14   #9
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Its the content thats the problem. Rushed articles on 5 year PC games, reviews on CD's that have been out a while and can hardly be called a review its so short, not to mention the 'personal blog' style articles on things like fashion.

Its all stuff we can read elsewhere and done alot better. Even the Interviews often come across a bit bland and really doesnt give any real insight into the people and events.

Theres just nothing to grab you and it has no identity. All in all it doesnt make you want to read it
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 05:49   #10
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

My response to your comment is in your pm wakey.
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 10:21   #11
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

I kinda enjoyed Squidly's editorial style articles, but that's about it.
Unread 3 Aug 2005, 03:31   #12
Chaos

Chaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enough

Read it until updates stopped happening. checked it each day for updates. but nothing.
stopped checking.
R7-R11 : HR HC / NoS Head Techie / NoS WC
R12 : Retired <- GF gives ultimatum. PA or Her.
R13 : HR Peon -> BC -> MC (GC of Winning Gal)
R14 : HR HC
R15 : Retired <- GF dumps me cuz of PA.
R16 : HR Peon
R19 : Omen BC
R20-R30 : Retired
R31 : HR Peon

Someone give me a dictionary.
Cuz I don't seem to know what retired means. =/
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2005, 06:09   #13
Krum

Krum is an unknown quantity at this point

its not only the news.. but also users sites.. there r alot of down sites there.
Krum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2005, 01:55   #14
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Welcome to Planetarion R13
Published: 30th March 2005 22:00

that's gonna be one hell of an update if they ever make one

Unread 5 Aug 2005, 05:07   #15
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

:s would people read it if we started it back up?
Unread 5 Aug 2005, 06:12   #16
rnd|One
100% irresistible

rnd|One has a spectacular aura aboutrnd|One has a spectacular aura aboutrnd|One has a spectacular aura about

I have tried reaching those whom have worked on the uplink concerning wether some of the Planetarion related material could be moved over to the PAWiki. The Wiki has quite a nice categorization and search system, which makes it easy to have a lot of content in an organized manner. Also the openness of the setup allows for anyone interested in writing for Planetarion to wield their mighty keyboard in the air without the fuzz of a closed system.

The problem with intermittent updates causing a lack of audience would also be partly remedied.
Unread 5 Aug 2005, 06:15   #17
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnd|One
I have tried reaching those whom have worked on the uplink concerning wether some of the Planetarion related material could be moved over to the PAWiki. The Wiki has quite a nice categorization and search system, which makes it easy to have a lot of content in an organized manner. Also the openness of the setup allows for anyone interested in writing for Planetarion to wield their mighty keyboard in the air without the fuzz of a closed system.

The problem with intermittent updates causing a lack of audience would also be partly remedied.

I can start writing PA stuff again if it would help things any... Some of the others might as well. You may want to talk to Aryn or Ice-Lady about present/past writers...
Unread 5 Aug 2005, 06:24   #18
rnd|One
100% irresistible

rnd|One has a spectacular aura aboutrnd|One has a spectacular aura aboutrnd|One has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly
I can start writing PA stuff again if it would help things any... Some of the others might as well. You may want to talk to Aryn or Ice-Lady about present/past writers...
Aryn hasn't replied to my private messages for weeks and Ice-Lady seems to be in the hospital according to Forests thread.
Unread 5 Aug 2005, 09:25   #19
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The Uplink was a waste of time and resources to be honest. Back when i was in PA team a large amount of time was spent coding it, when better and more important things could have been shown that kind of attention. The running of it also tended to be handed to PA team members who had nothing else to do as though it was some way of justifying their position in PA team.

When it was first started it was meant to go out on a weekly basis. None of the writers could write enough new stuff to keep a full weekly newsletter going, so it was dropped back to fortnightely then monthly i think. Still most people couldnt be motivated to write the material. The organisation never struck me as too good and many of the articles were sub-standard as they were rushed through in order to have some material to fill the empty gaps.

As Wakey's already said, people dont want to read bland reviews on an album released last year or a little story about how someone went to the cinema on a date and saw the new Tom Cruise film and thought it was ok. The interviews with PA players could have been made a lot more interesting. Saying 'how how are you? Nice to meet you. What's your fav colour? When did you start PA? Who is your best friend? What is your best finish in PA?' isnt exactly bringing anything new and interesting to the people reading it. A few more probing questions would be much better.

Squidly before you jump down my throat. This post isnt meant as an insult at you, i dont think i've ever read one of your articles. It's more of a 'it could and should have been run very differently' thread.
Unread 5 Aug 2005, 09:29   #20
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Aryn hasn't replied to my private messages for weeks and Ice-Lady seems to be in the hospital according to Forests thread.
Aryn
PostsTotal Posts: 4,797 (2.97 posts per day)
Last Post:
Your most embarrasing moment, EVER.
4 Aug 2005 22:33
Find all posts by Aryn
Find all threads started by Aryn

She is alive and posting on these forums. If its forum PMs she is ignoring i suggest you either hang around in #forums and hope she pops in there at some point (i dont think she is much of a regular on IRC though) or try contacting her through Phil.

Last edited by JC; 5 Aug 2005 at 16:55.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2005, 16:34   #21
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

No throat jumping etc JC don't worry

/me reserves his reply for when he has time and isn't running out the door. :s
Unread 5 Aug 2005, 17:03   #22
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
for the last few weeks shes been quite busy with rl stuff, such as the two jobs she has, and applying for others
Unread 5 Aug 2005, 17:19   #23
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

i'd write for it again... Squidly you can track me down in #f-crew if it starts again

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2005, 17:22   #24
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Fk! knew I forgot someone! Sorry chef
Unread 5 Aug 2005, 17:58   #25
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly
Fk! knew I forgot someone! Sorry chef
i feel so hurt

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2005, 18:14   #26
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef!
i feel so hurt
Don't hate me because I'm absent-minded =/
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 00:25   #27
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

heh, I used to write for that. A while ago. I got to interview Phil^
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 04:40   #28
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

I have no pm's from rnd|one except for one i got yesterday i didn't see until today. there's no emails to [email protected] nor [email protected].

anyway, as phil said i've been busy with 2 jobs solid for the last few weeks. I posted a few months ago to ask if anyone wanted to help write for the newsletter but there were no replies bar wakey.

to wakey and JC i agree that it needs much improvement but i need more feedback than you've given. you say you want more probing questions in the interviews.. give me some examples please. you say you don't want to read reviews on old albums/movies, what exactly would grab your interest? what do you want to read? I would love to have alliance updates and such but no one is interested in contributing anymore. I tried to start up the newsletter again but with only 3-4 of us it doesn't give much content.

anyone with constructive critiques are welcome to either pm me here, find me on irc (#planetarion, #forums), or send me an email [email protected]

if anyone's interested in writing and helping me to get this thing going once more i would absolutely love to hear from you.
rnd|one i'm replying to your pm now.
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 15:49   #29
JC
lolly roffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn
to wakey and JC i agree that it needs much improvement but i need more feedback than you've given. you say you want more probing questions in the interviews.. give me some examples please.
We cant give examples. The current problem is that people go into these interviews and ask a set of questions that appears to be the same for whoever they interview. An interview should be tailored to each person and the intervierwer should have done some background research into the person and their history if they are going to make it interesting. Dragging up controversial stuff from the past or even current round that people in general perhaps dont know too much about would be much more interesting.
Unread 8 Aug 2005, 08:58   #30
rnd|One
100% irresistible

I have copied over a few interviews to the PAWiki.

Cayl's interview seemed exceptionally well done.

Last edited by rnd|One; 8 Aug 2005 at 10:26.
rnd|One is offline   Reply With Quote