View Single Post
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 17:31   #34
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [Discuss, yet again] Bringing Back PDS

In Planetarion, everything is in balance with each other. Every aspect of the game is inter-related with five other parts of the game, and changing one changes the relationship for all of those five, not just the one you are changing.

As I explained in Behe's ministers thread, there's a constant knock-on effect whenever you change a feature. In that case, making a galaxy need three ministers to exile a planet instead of one meant that unpaid planets needed be ministers, otherwise a small galaxy would never be able to exile someone (making their situation worse due to inactives - a vicious circle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
I did not bring up SKs. You did. You droned on and on about how terrible SK's would be if this idea were implemented. I then told you a piece of information that was relevant to the topic yet happened to have something to do with SK's. See the difference?
Yet it is perfectly valid to bring up SKs, since they are directly related to structures. At the moment, players do not need to send structure killers in order to roid with no losses. If you create PDS as structures, then you do. At the moment, most players haven't built structure killers. Under your plan they would, in order to hit PDS whores.

I started playing in Round 3. I initiated 300 roids straight off, and built 200 laser turrets and 90 EMP turrets to defend myself. Within three days, they were dead. Thankfully an experienced player took me aside in the IRC channel and explained that if I wanted to do well, I should never build PDS. It hasn't always stopped me - PDS was good in one of the early p2p rounds - but I took his lesson to heart. PDS is shit unless it really really isn't. Make any sense?

For the PDS structures not to be shit, they need a lot of armour and a lot of power. They also need to shoot before structure killers. End result? Stagnation, as players find themselves unable to take reasonable losses when landing on PDS whores.

Let's say that they can land on these PDS whores. They will attack with SKs, I assume this is a given? Well, factories are structures too, and I expect a fair few of those to go BOOM! This means that the newbie can't build ships which makes it even harder for him to defend himself in the future. This is bad. PDS is bad. It leadth to the dark side.