View Single Post
Unread 19 Aug 2005, 16:25   #29
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Re: [Discuss, yet again] Bringing Back PDS

no see, what i'm trying to do is to get you to appreciate new sides of the discussion. I'm failing.

firstly, I seem to have failed to explain what i mean by a food chain. PA is a pyramid construction, now I have previously (and we're talking like 8 or so rounds ago now) suggested that this isn't such a smart move, but that's what we have. any attempts to constrain that without actually fundamentally reworking the system, is just pissing on a house fire. :/

tiny gals init, small gals raid tiny gals, medium gals raid small gals, big gals raid medium gals, massive gals raid big gals. ok? I mean we all know that.... what happens when you disrupt this, is that people run out of targets that they can hit easily. so they overkill targets. and overkill is bad. Now you say that it's hard to nuke PDS if you can only kill 20%. well if that was the case then you wouldn't be saying that SKs in general are a bad idea, but you do.... you can't have it both ways.

now sure, changing the class on SKS from the roiders, is good, and good thinking! but how is that relevent to pds? it's not. you could do that, gain an improvement, and not put in pds. see what i mean about addressing the actual problems? and using foresight? you are getting that at least, progress....

you also neglect to mention what happens when someone comes along when the target gets too fat (after hiding behind the PDS) assuming he ever does get too fat of course, you didn't seem to answer the other point :/
see because when he gets incs, he isn't going to get one wave. he's going to get 5 maybe 10 or 15. because everyone else who is small and in an easier to hit gal is turtling, so you grab what you can. and they all bring sks. now our lowbie has 15 waves of incs, which will surely cripple his structures (they all brought sks you see, hoping to be able to come again and because if they have to pay for the roids, he is going to have to pay for hurting their ships) and the end result is no ships (he didn't build too many in the first place, but those he did built have since been caught) no roids and no structures. so once again that's no income, no means of getting an income, and no means of protecting it, or gaining intel to gain new income, and a further reduction in income, and any means to build ships to give defence, gain new income and so on. HOW IS THAT GOOD? HOW IS THAT PROTECTING A LOWBIE?

*sigh*

and what promotes stagnation, is the removal of targets. provided everyone can hit everyone else, in this engine, the game keeps on ticking. if you drive up the average cost per roid people will stop attacking harder targets and attack smaller ones to keep the cost down, this becomes a vicious circle with the smaller, but somewhat active players, getting more incs because the food chain is distorted.

go and read up on pyramid eco systems and you'll see what i mean. (actually do this, don't just read over this and ignore it, understanding the critical game mechanics is cruicial for offering helpful suggestions in the future).

oh and, please, don't say i don't contribute, I really hate it when people accuse me of that fortunately I don't feel the need to give my CV of actual hard and fast contributions to PA over the rounds just to rebuke that line, but for the record, stop making this personal ok and stop taking it as a personal attack every time i point out why something you've suggested won't work, or will be counter productive. it's not you I think is wrong it's your suggestions, although I will admit to becoming more frustrated with your inability to actually address what's in front of you.

oh and we were having an inteligent discussion before actually, well i was, you were banding around insults :/

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas