Thread: Kyoto
View Single Post
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 05:11   #6
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Kyoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I can only speak of my own sector (housing - apparently represents 25% of all carbon emissions in the UK) but reducing carbon emissions (by increasing energy efficiency generally) has been made a reasonably high priority by the government (and thus by us). A few of the things that have happened / are happening on this front :
  • We are obliged to calculate an energy efficiency rating and carbon emissions rating for every dwelling.
  • We have to report annually on the energy efficiency of the above, plus actions plans on how we're going to improve this. We are also annually audited by central government on this.
  • All new dwellings have to meet certain new standards (which are dramatically higher than existing stock)
  • Millions of pounds have been given in grants to increase energy effiency of homes.
  • From April on all new lets we have to supply incoming tenants with estimated running costs of their home, in terms of utility bills.
So yeah, I don't doubt we're trying to fiddle this as much as humanly possible, but there is also some genuine effort being made, at least in my sector.
My archaeology professor in undergrad generated 100% of his own electricity, he's off the grid. He uses solar panels most of the time, but sometimes he has to use a gas generator. He also has a water catchment system, and converts rain water into a drinkable form. He lives on the Big Island in Hawai'i and has quite a bit of land so he's able to do that. It's real nice.