View Single Post
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 23:03   #9
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Political Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio2k
I think it's normal for the other alliances who want a shot at #1 to gang on 1up temporarily to avoid them taking a big advantage so early in the round.
However, I would be quite disappointed if they insist on keeping the "block" for longer than it takes to level the odds again.
Indeed, it's entirely understandable - I've never suggested otherwise. The real issues (for me at least) are those of scale and duration.

How big a block is needed to counter one alliance that is slightly ahead in the rankings? Is 2.5 times the members, double the score and double the roids really needed? And does the block still need to be trying to add more members?

Duration is always the problem. One thing that's very clear from PA history is that it's FAR easier to make a block than to break one. Here's what the natural progression of a block seems to be:

1. It starts with HC saying something along the lines of "Aliiance X are bigger/better than us or are hostile to both of us so why don't we share targetting information".
2. It then progresses to the "it's silly us atatcking one another when we have the same enemies" so let's not attack one another's planets.
3. This then necessitates an exchange of coordinates - immediately adding one impediment to the block splitting, as if a block splits then suddenly whole members coords are in non-allied hands.

In a few simple steps, basic attack coordination turns into a fully fledged block.
The main problems with a block splitting are as follows:

1. What is the criteria for splitting? Knock the enemy down below the biggest alliance in block? Knock it below the smallest alliance in block?
2. Whereas a block may be formed for one objective (which is typically more beneficial to some in the block than to others) the temptation is always there to deal with other enemies before splitting.
3. Smaller members of a block have little incentive to split it - it's hardly in their interests to help a partner to the top then get dumped and roided into the ground by their ex-ally as reward.

Blocking isn't of itself a bad thing - it can level the playing field. In practice blocks DON'T try to level the playing field: they try to change a slight imbalance one way into aa huge one in the opposite direction.