Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Jul 2004, 08:30   #1
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Inspectre is an unknown quantity at this point
Hero's Epitaph

A thin mist slowly flows across the battlefield, partially obscuring the carnage that was all that remained of Fort Solifax and its defenders. But not even the splotchy fog could block out all of the evidence that a desperate - and horribly brutal - battle had taken place here over the past several days. Bodies were strewn about on the ground and amongst the battlements; hacked to pieces or serving as a holder for several feathered shafts. Death was the same for all, however, regardless of what race or condition each corpse was in. They all contributed to the silent horror of war, and its terrible aftermath.

Yet somewhere on the battlefield, one of the piles of bodies shifts, and a "corpse" near the base stirs. A man, almost covered with blood from head to toe, slowly crawls out from underneath a massive orc.
"Ugh . . . it seems that I failed again." The man murmurs, raising a hand to gently probe a long gash running along his hairline. The man then painfully gets to his feet, and begins to limp across the battlefield, as if searching for something . . . or someone. The man's memories slowly come back to him as he trudges across the terrible scene, stopping to gaze at the frozen faces of anyone that he recognized.

Do you seriously think we can last another night? Ha!

The gates are collapsing!! Hurry, and bring your weapons to repulse these demons!!

AHHH! Help me, Bartus!! EEAAARGGHH!!

I merely ask each of you to stand with me. Stand with me at Fort Solifax, and make one last stand for the light. One last stand against Darius and his orc allies. Is it so much to ask each of you to fight and die on your feet like men? Or would you prefer to live on your knees at his feet, once he has smashed our last bastion of defense, Fort Solifax?! I have made my choice, and I shall die on my feet with a sword in my hand!! My epitaph will be the mound I make with the bodies of my enemies!! Who has the courage to die with me, and to die well! Who has the courage to face the night?

The man known as Bartus Stormgul stepped over the body of a goblin, and at last found Vilas Stormgul, hero of Solifax. His epitaph was a trio of orcs lying in a semi-circle about him, along with a trail of five or six others leading from the gates to his final resting place. Bartus lowered his head, his vision blurring with tears.
"Rest well, my leader, my friend . . . my brother." Bartus already knew that there would be no other epitaph to this proud warrior, no memorial to detail his bold sacrifice. Darius and his allies would sweep across the defenseless lands like a plague, enslaving and killing at will. There was no one left to stop him, nor anyone brave enough left to try.

Bartus felt a wave of despair wash over him, and wondered by what perverse chance of Fate had allowed him to survive, but none of the other braver, stronger soldiers. Wiping his eyes, Bartus looked up to see a shimmering portal hovering in the air a short distance from him.
The portal held an image of a large tavern at night, and Bartus smiled sadly as he remembered the last time he had seen this portal: just after a brutal fight that was just like this one. He hadn’t changed the future, but maybe this time . . .

Taking a deep breath to steady himself, Bartus leaps forward into the portal, and into the past. Waiting for him on the other side was the dark tavern where Vilas Stormgul had called the fateful meeting so long ago.

----------------------------------------

And here, finally, is the Hero’s Epitpah Redux thread. Some of the older vets might remember this thread and the basic premise from before, but for those who have forgotten or are new, here’s a quick summary.

What makes this thread unusual is, as seen above, everyone dies. Unlike virtually every single thread on these boards, you character will have numerous chances to die, and in all likelihood will. There is also, of course, a remote chance that you will weather the storm of Darius's armies, but I rather doubt you'll pull that one off. However, your main character's death is not the end of your involvement in the thread, quite the contrary. You will be allowed to create up to four other, minor characters that upon your main character's death, you will gain control of one at a time until they all perish. After that, it's down to the regular grunt NPCs, until they have all been killed and thus all of the defenders are dead. Once that happens, I shall restart the thread, and you will be given the chance to do things differently. I will probably restart the thread two or three times at the most, as by then I would imagine everyone involved would be tired of it. Or perhaps not.

As for character creation, it is fairly simple

Name: (obviously the char’s name)
Race: (whatever you can think of)
Class: the general selection of mages to knights Note that this has little effect on anything short of choosing to be a mage or not. Those that choose to be a mage should read the section of spells several posts below, while those that are not mages will not have to worry about it.
Equipment: Ah, now here’s where it gets interesting.

Your main character will be given 400 gold to buy starting equipment and items. Other than what you manage to salvage from the battlefield, this will be your only equipment for the thread, so choose wisely.

Minor characters will be given 200 gold, and NPCs of course are preset by me.

Note that you can forfeit as many of the four minor "backup" characters as you wish, and instead use their gold to build up your own "superhero" main character. Please note however that you are taking a risk, as if you forfeit all of your minor characters, then you'll be stuck playing an average joe blow guard when your main character dies (and s/he will die. ).

Note that there are now, in this version of Hero’s Epitaph, effectively two different ways to fight: Personally, and Armies. Personal combat is you sending your hero into a sort of freestyle battle, posting your hero’s actions and their results. I then look at these actions and the results for those actions that you posted, and based on post quality and originality, decide how well you succeed. All in all, it is probably best to say that you take on only a few opponents at a time, and kill them, as opposed to run screaming through the enemy lines, effortlessly lopping off heads as you go. You’ll probably bite off more than you can chew with something like that.

The second way to fight in Hero’s Epitaph is to hire Armies to fight for you. Army combat in Heros is now stat-based, and while this is mainly used by me to see how many NPCs kill each other, you can also purchase units and participate. All of this combat is purely stat based, and really all I need from you is who you’re shooting at and which of your units is doing the shooting. However, there is a chance that exceptional posts of you commanding your men will give your unit’s stats a slight boost for that battle. To help randomize things, the damage that each unit deals out is in dice (d6 = six-side dice, d8 = eight-sided dice, etc), with the number before the d indicating how many dice are rolled. Once all of the dice are rolled, I add up the numbers and that is the amount of damage that unit does to the enemy for that DM post. Note also that as the number of men in a unit drops, so does the damage at a proportional rate. For example, a unit consisting of only 40 men fighting is at 80% membership. Therefore, however much damage I roll is multiplied by 80%. So a damage roll of 50, of example, will actually cause only 40 damage. Therefore, it is imparitive that you keep as many of your men alive for as long as possible. Men in a unit are considered dead whenever the damage that the unit takes equals 2% of its total wounds. In other words, a 200 Wound unit will lose one member everytime it takes 4 damage, because each member can only take 4 Wounds before dying (4 Wounds x 50 men = 200).

Equipment and other niceties will be posted in a separate post below. Enjoy.

Important DM Note!!: This thread starts on Monday. It would be best if you have your characters posted by then. However, you will still have three DM posts to create your character and have them travel to Fort Solifax to meet up with the others. After that, you will not be able to join with the rest of the Solifax defenders. Instead, you will be a captive of the orcs, and the only way you can participate in the thread (other than scream and writhe in pain as the orcs torture you, that is. ) is to either convince one of the other RPers to rescue you, or somehow manage to escape yourself. Note that trying to escape by yourself is a bad idea, as the orcs will not hesitate to kill you if you are caught. So, in general, it's better to either wait for help, or somehow figure out a rather 1337 way of escaping and write up a nice detailed post about it. The reasoning behind this is that I don't want more defenders for the Fort to suddenly "pop out of nowhere". So, defenders must logically arrive at the fort before the fourth DM post, after which the battle has begun and Fort Solifax is under siege.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
like you in your threads after about a week

ZING!
I love you Phang.

Last edited by Inspectre; 2 Jul 2004 at 16:15.
Inspectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 08:33   #2
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Weapons

No hero would be complete without a weapon of some sort to fight with, and so listed below are all of the weapons that you are able to fight with (aside from your hands, feet, and wits, of course ). The weapons are arranged in two broad groupings: Melee & Ranged. From there they are broken down into the type of weapon, such as Short Swords. Each type of weapon has four different levels to choose from, the higher levels costing more money. Each weapon is described in the following format.
Name: The weapon’s name, obviously
Runic: Most weapons are not runic, but those that are give their possessor a limited amount of power. During each day of battle (typically 10 DM posts), the user may use three spell slots’ worth of magic from the element that corresponds to the runes on the weapon. For example, a Runic: Fire weapon will allow it’s user to cast three spell slots worth of either Fireball, Combust, or Explosion.
Durability: How much abuse the weapon can take before it breaks. As the weapon is used, its durability is gradually reduced to 0. A higher level weapon, upon reaching 0 durability, will simply be bumped down to the next level. A level four (Flametongue) short sword, for example, would upon reaching 0 durability be simply reduced to a level three (Templar) short sword. Once bumped down, however, the weapon can never be restored, and once it effectively reaches Level 0, it is gone forever. Durability can be recovered after each day’s battle, however, by either visiting the Blacksmith (good for one weapon), or using one of the special Accessories that recover Durability (Whet Stones for Melee, Extra Strings for Ranged).
Description: A short little description giving some history on the weapon, if any.
Special Ability: All level 4 weapons have a special ability, all of which are fairly self-explanatory.
Cost: Obviously, how much the weapon costs.
You can buy weapons for both your heros, and your Armies, at the rate of one purchase = enough equipment for one unit of 50 men.

Melee Weapons

Short Swords – One-handed, two-handed slightly increases damage
Steel Sword
Runic: No
Durability: 20
Description: A serviceable, standard steel blade, often found in town militias as their soldiers can’t afford anything better.
Cost: 25gp

Man-at-Arms Sword
Durability: 30
Description: The short sword of professional soldiers, the Man-at-Arms sword is cheap enough to be affordable for the average professional soldier or mercenary, yet durable enough to survive more than one battle.
Cost: 35 gp

Wakizahi
Durability: 35
Description: The back-up weapon of most samurai, these weapons are often stored on the samurai's belt, along with the katana.
Cost: 45

Templar Sword
Durability: 45
Description: Despite its strength and durability, the Templar sword is light enough to be carried without much difficulty. Thus, it is a favored backup weapon of Templar Crusaders, on long journeys into the wilderness.
Cost: 50 gp

Flametongue
Runic: Yes - Fire
Durability: 70
Description: Relics of the ancient past, Flametongue blades are quite rare in this day and age. The secret of how to make such blades has been lost, but it is known that these weapons were made for combat during the Ancient past, for the Undead War. As such, the blades do increased damage against undead creatures. As a side-effect of its strong affinity to fire, Flametongues also seem to do extra damage to creatures with regenerating capabilities, in addition to preventing them from recovering from the damage, due to cauterizing the wound instantly.
Special Ability: Once everyday the wielder can command the Flametongue to burst into white-hot flames. Obviously this increases damage due with each blow, and in addition it causes light burn wounds to any other enemies nearby, as well as temporarily dazzling anyone who looks directly at the brilliantly glowing blade.
Cost: 85 gp

Long Sword – One-handed, two-handed slightly increases damage

Ranger Sword
Durability: 25
Description: A long sword favored by Rangers, this sort of blade is cheap enough to be bought nearly anywhere, and gives a Ranger a longer reach in a sword fight with brigands, who generally prefer short swords and daggers.

Knight Sword
Description: This long sword is, while quite functional, also quite ornate. This high degree of craftsmanship is reflected in the high price, and the fact that most knights carry one of these into battle.

Ice Blade
Runic: Yes - Ice
Durability: 50
Description: Unlike the Flametongues, the ability to produce Frostbrands has not been lost. As a result, a large amount of cheaper, weaker versions of the Frostbrand have appeared recently. The Ice Blade is one of the more powerful and reliable Frostbrand clones, although it is still somewhat weaker that the “real” thing.
Cost: 70 gp

Frostbrand
Runic: Yes - Ice
Durability: 80
Description: A thin sheet of ice permanently coats this magical blade, revealing its strong ice enchantment. Although the method used to produce these weapons has not been lost, few mages are powerful enough in this age to actually reproduce one. Therefore, weaker versions of this blade are produced, although some Frostbrands are still available for sale.
Special Ability: The wielder can create a large amount of ice (10’x10’x10’) once everyday. The ice can be in any shape the wielder desires, and it can be formed around living things (although they do have a chance to jump clear of the effect).
Cost: 95 gp

Katana – Two-handed, one hand slightly decreases damage

Samurai Blade
Description: The weapon of choice for all samurai, this blade is a simple folded steel blade. While it is fast and can cut through bare flesh with ease, against thick armor the blade quickly becomes dull.
Cost: 40 gp

Kengo Blade
Description: Although all samurai generally have a katana of some sort on them, not all katanas are of the same quality. The Kengo Blade is proof of this, being a step above material and workmanship quality than the ordinary katana.
Cost: 55 gp

Masamune
Description: Known throughout the world as the pinnacle of katana workmanship, Masamune blades are highly sought after, especially when the very limited supply is considered as well.
Cost: 75 gp

Kensai
Runic: Yes - Wind
Durability: 65
Description: Only a handful of these blades exist, being Masamune blades with runic carvings on them. It is said that the first owners of these blades were all swordmasters, and that their spirits live on within their blades.
Special Ability: Once everyday, it is possible for the wielder to activate the magical properties of the blade, turning the wielder into a whirlwind of death that can attack opponents multiple times, and strike out in multiple directions.
Cost: 105 gp

B*stard Sword One-handed, two handed DOUBLES damage
Warrior Blade
Description: A good, sturdy blade and well-crafted hilt make this weapon dangerous in the hands of the right wielder, although b*stard swords seem to have a low acceptance rate by a majority of professional soldiers.

Highlander Sword
Durability: 40
Description: A weapon favored by northern barbarians, this version of the b*stard sword is quite durable, yet lightweight enough to be easily carrible in the rough mountainous terrain the northern barbarians call home.

Warlord Blade
Durability: 55
Description: Inlaid with ornate etchings and runic symbols, this weapon is the perfect choice for a would-be chief of a barbarian horde. The symbols and etchings seem to do little except enhance the blade’s aesthetic value, however.
Cost: 90 gp

Ravenwing
Runic: Yes - Shadow
Durability: 85
Description: Believed to be used primarily by Death Knights in the Necromancer’s army thousands of years ago, the Ravenwing swords are quite rare in this day and age, especially since the majority of them were destroyed at the end of the war. Containing powerful enchantments of shadow magic, the entire length of these blades are obsidian black, and appear to be made of an unknown metal.
Special Ability: Each time an opponent is hit with this blade, there is a 10% chance that they will die instantly as their very life force is sucked out of them. This draining of life energy also recharges the Ravenwing, refilling one of its spent spell slots for the day.
Cost: 135 gp

Great Sword Two-handed only
Two-handed sword
Description: The standard weapon for heavy footmen, this two-handed weapon obviously prevents the use of a shield, but at the same time allows a heavy infantryman at least a chance of cleaving through a knight’s plate mail.

Great Sword
Description: A longer and heavier version of the traditional two-handed sword, this weapon can be used to swat aside polearms and other stand-off melee weapons, provided the user is deft enough.

Grand Sword
Durability: 60
Description: A long and massive weapon, the Grand sword is nevertheless somewhat thinner than the Great sword, preferring length over width. Only the largest and strongest of men use such weapons however, as the blades are actually meant to be used by stronger species, such as Lizardmen.

Angelwing
Runic: Yes - Light
Durability: 90
Description: Another set of relics from the Undead War, these weapons are greatly admired and honored by most. Believed to have been originally forged with the intent to counter the dark power of the Death Knights’ Ravenwings, the Angelwings are believed to be capable of saving and restoring their wielder’s life. Tales of paladins armed with Angelwings taking terrible wounds during battle and somehow surviving to fight the next day seem to support this claim.
Special Ability: This blade will restore its wielder from Dead to Seriously Wounded status ONCE. It is also 30% likely to heal an additional wound level each night.
Cost: 150 gp

Scimitar One-handed, two hands moderately increases damage
Steel Scimitar
Description: A fairly common weapon out amongst the desert sands, these heavy, curved blades are easily recognizable by a majority of warriors.

Palace Guard Sword
Description: Rather more ornate than the average scimitar, anyone who has been to the Sultan’s court will recognize these as belonging to members of the Sultan’s personal bodyguard, and only the Sultan’s personal bodyguard. Of course, that doesn’t mean copies are available off of the black market, or off the dead bodies of the Palace Guard.

Sultan Sword
Runic: Yes - Fire
Description: A weapon supposed to be used by the Sultan, and the Sultan alone, this blade has a fairly high level of fire enchantments on it. The protections on the Sultan’s sword, and the threat of death for theft apparently didn’t stop one enterprising mage, who somehow managed to figure out how to make exact copies of the blade for sale.

Sand Scorpion
Runic: Yes - Earth
Durability: 75
Description: A weapon believed to have been wielded by the infamous desert bandit Hareem Keblar, this scimitar apparently enabled him to escape capture on multiple occasions by blinding pursuers. Upon his death, the blade was said to be lost, although it was believed that one of his lieutenants actually stole the blade the night before his capture, switching it out for a carefully made fake. Whatever the case may be, the Sand Scorpion has reappeared from time to time, a clear indicator that whatever may ultimately happen to its owner, the blade itself is never destroyed.
Special Ability: Once everyday the wielder may summon a miniature sandstorm to come into being around them, lowering visibility within a 30’ radius greatly, and preventing anyone from outside the area of effect from seeing within the swirling mass of sand.

Axe Two-handed, one handed decreases damage slightly

Steel Axe
Description: Designed more for chopping down people than trees, this axe consists of a double-bladed head with reinforcing grooves running down the middle.
Cost: 45 gp

Bitted Axe
Description: An improvement over the standard axe, this weapon has a small wedge cut from the center of each blade. This allows the axe head to tear flesh as well as cut, although not at the cost of durability, as superior materials are used in such an axe’s construction.

Battle Axe
Description: Larger and more durable than its cousins, this weapon was clearly designed for war, and designed to allow its wielder to kill the enemy in the shortest amount of time possible.
Cost: 65gp

Dwarven Axe
Description: Forged out of pure mithril, this kind of weapon is rarely seen outside of dwarven lands. In addition to its impressive craftsmanship and superior materials, the axe is also covered with runes. These runes are rumored to help protect the wielder of a dwarven axe, making his skin as hard as rock.
Special Ability: Once everyday, the wielder can, for a short amount of time, make his skin as hard as rock, and thus immune to normal sorts of weapon blows.
Cost: 100 gp

Handaxe One-handed, Two hands increases damage moderately

Steel Handaxe
Description: A simple, one-bladed axe designed to be easily wielded in one hand.

Hatchet
Description: Made for longer and more intense combat, the hatchet is light and well-balanced, enabling a wielder to continue swinging for quite a long time before being overcome by exhaustion. Due to the weapon’s excellent balance, it can also be thrown, although it was not designed with this purpose in mind.

Tomahawk
Description: A common weapon out in the borderlands, the Tomahawk is a larger and heavier version of the hatchet. Due to its excellent balance, however, the weapon can also be thrown like a hatchet, and a skilled user can throw it even more accurately.

Bonebiter
Description: An infamous weapon, the Bonebiter is a tomahawk that has been inscribed with special runes. These runes can give the user unerring accuracy when throwing the weapon, and cost the life of more than one soldier during the various skirmishes out in the borderlands.
Special Ability: Three times everyday, the wielder can throw the weapon with unerring accuracy, hitting an opponent in exactly the spot that he wants to. The weapon will then magically reappear in the wielder’s hand, ready to be used again.

Halberd Two-handed only

Steel Halberd
Description: A common and versatile weapon, the halberd can be found as part of almost every kingdom’s military force in some way. With a heavy axe blade and a small pointed tip, the standard halberd can be used either as a spear or a stand-off weapon.

Poleaxe
Description: Carrying a heavier axe, and a double-bladed one at that, the Poleaxe is really just that – a battle axe on a pole. Obviously, a very deadly weapon against heavily armored and slow moving troops in the right hands.
Cost: 65 gp

Mythril Halberd
Description: Although this weapon at first glance may appear to be an ordinary halberd, a closer examination would find that it is made completely out of mithril, including the shaft. The use of such a metal means that the weapon is lightweight, but cleaves through armor even better than steel would. Naturally, the use of such a rare metal also increases the price dramatically.
Cost: 80 gp

Deathbringer
Description: Like the Ravenwings, the Deathbringer halberds are relics from the Undead War. As with the Ravenwing b*stard swords, the Deathbringer halberds were also used primarily by Death Knights as a standoff weapon, enabling them to kill a dozen men or more before they could even get close enough to land a hit of their own. The edges of these weapons’ axe blades seem to glow from within, giving off a dark glint.
Special Ability: There is a 20% chance that with every hit, the target will die instantly as their life force is sucked from their bodies.
Cost: 110 gp

Spear Two-handed, one hand decreases damage moderately

Stake
Description: A simple wooden spear, these weapons can be made from virtually any source of wood. These particular spears, however, are made from oak, and the tip has been hardened by heating it over a fire.
Cost: 25 gp

Steel Spear
Description: A far more significant weapon than the simple wooden stake, this spear has a steel tip affixed to one end. To reduce weight, the shaft of the spear is still wood, however, leading to low durability.

Phalanx
Description: A long spear used primarily in spear blocks, the Phalanx is made completely out of steel, but a hollow shaft enables the weapon to be lightweight enough to wield effectively. Runes etched down the length of the shaft also help this purpose, and allow the spear to be thrown for a longer distance than other weapons of its type.

Valkyrie
Runic: Yes - Lightning
Description: Named after the legendary female warriors of Vahalla, these spears were created for use by a band of Amazons using the same name. The strong magical properties of these spears allow them to control the very heavens . . . or so it would seem.
Special Ability: Twice everyday, the wielder is able to summon a lightning bolt, and direct where it will strike.

Trident Two-handed, One handed decreases damage moderately

Steel Trident
Description: This three-pronged weapon is most often used by sailors or other intelligent creatures that live in the sea. The steel trident is the basic trident used by most sailors, being a simple steel head mounted on a wooden shaft.
Cost: 30 gp

Pirate’s Trident
Description: A weapon made for combat on the deck of a ship, the Pirate’s Trident is a lightweight and fast weapon, allowing it to be thrown or used to stab an opponent repeatedly.

Merman Trident
Runic: Yes - Water
Description: A weapon used primarily by the Mermen of the Western Seas, these tridents are rumored to contain the essence of the sea within them.

Neptune
Description: Named after the ancient god of the sea, these weapons are rumored to be copies of his own weapon, a powerful trident capable of creating water at will.
Special Ability: Once everyday the wielder is able to cause it to rain, or to cancel rain and change it into a sunny day.

Lance One-handed due to mount, two hands when not on mount

Lance
Description: Made from solid oak and tipped with steel, the Lance is designed to kill those in heavy armor if its wielder is mounted. If the wielder is on foot, then the lance is still a respectable stand-off weapon.

Cavalry Yari
Description: A yari made for cavalry use, the Cavalry Yari can be used as a lance, or can simply be used to stick opponents as its wielder rides past.

Tombogiri
Description: Literally “dragon-fly cutter”, this weapon consists of a razor-sharp mithril blade and inscribed runes, giving it an aura of magical energy.
Cost: 60 gp

Dragoon
Description: Named after the famous light cavalry unit of the Twelve Kingdoms, these weapons were made to reflect their namesake: fast and deadly. Magical runes also give these properties to the weapon’s wielder.
Special Ability: Once everyday, the wielder can temporarily double his attack rate and speed.

Pike Two-handed only

Steel Pike
Description: The standard weapon for a heavy spear formation, the Steel pike has a simple, long spike at one end, and a bladed crosspiece about a foot below that.

Infantry Yari
Description: A lightweight infantry spear used in distant lands, the Infantry Yari consists of a simple bamboo shaft ending with a large, razor-sharp blade. The weapon is light and durable, but its higher cost limits its use in large spear formations.

Mythril Pike
Description: Forged from a single piece of mithril metal, the Mythril Pike is incredibly lightweight and durable. The high price of mithril limits its use drastically, however, and only the most elite of spear formations would commonly use such weapons.

Stalwart
Description: Last seen used during the reign of the Dwarven Highking Durin Gor, the Stalwart was the weapon of choice for his personal bodyguard. Any group of cavalry thinking the stout dwarves would be easy prey quickly found themselves bloodily dangling from the end of one of these weapons.
Special Ability: Twice per day, the wielder of this weapon can cause a ring of stalactites to erupt from the ground, surrounding the wielder in a protective barrier, and skewering any nearby foes.

Swallow (don’t laugh – think Darth Maul) Two-handed only

Steel Swallow
Description: A simple, double-bladed weapon made out of steel, the steel swallow is rarely seen, as mastery of the weapon can take years. Once mastery is achieved, however, the wielder of one of these weapons is a whirlwind of death.

Naginata
Description: An Eastern version of the swallow, this weapon is more of a double-tipped spear than anything. Due to its length, this weapon can be used for horseback, provided the wielder is careful enough not to hit themselves with the other end as they cut an enemy down.

Elven Swallow
Description: Forged from mithril, the Elven version of the swallow is quite deadly in the right hands. In the wrong hands, however, the weapon can easily be lost: not due to the wielder dropping the weapon, but instead from having cut his own hands off.

Dew Cutter
Description: Used by an unknown traveler, the Dew Cutter was a highly magical swallow that the traveler used exclusively as his weapon in battle. The story is that the unknown traveler was once robbed and left for dead along the road one night, and when he woke up this weapon was sitting next to him, in the morning dew.
Cost: 105 gp

Mace One-handed, two hands increase damage dramatically

Wooden Club
Description: A simple club made from a sturdy oak limb, a Wooden Club can certainly put a dent in someone’s head, but perhaps not their helmet. At least, usually not on the first swing.

Steel Mace
Description: The standard mace, this blunt weapon consists of a steel shaft with a hard ball of iron at one end. It is exceedingly good at smashing things apart, especially things made of flesh and bone, but swinging the weapon around can get tiring after awhile.

Spiked Mace
Description: Designed more for penetrating armor, a Spiked mace is covered with sharp ridges and spikes at the business end. The sharp point make it easier to penetrate thick armor like plate mail, although it can rend flesh just as easily.

Holy Mace
Runic: Yes - Light
Durability: 80
Description: A holy weapon made for combating the foul ranks of the Undead during the War, this elegant mace is made from pure mithril, and covered in powerful runes. Often, all that was required was a single hit to slay even some of the most powerful members of the Undead army.
Special Ability – Upon coming in contact with an undead creature, there is a 50% chance per hit that the mace will instantly cause the creature to disintegrate.

Flail Two-handed only

Peasant’s Flail
Description: A simple, easy-to-make weapon often used by peasant conscripts, the Peasant’s Flail is simply a weighted chain attached to a wooden handle.

Warrior’s Flail
Description: Designed for heavier combat, the warrior’s flail has two heavy steel heads, instead of the Peasant flail’s one.

Morning Star
Description: Seeking to cause more damage per hit than a normal flail, the Morning Star has a single heavy iron ball with spikes protruding from it, as opposed to multiple flail heads attached to the shaft.

Nature’s Wrath
Runic: Yes – Earth, Ice, Fire, Lightning (all at ¼ normal power)
Description: A legendary flail said to contain all the elements within Nature, Nature’s Wrath is believed to appear only when Nature itself is in danger. However, once the danger has passed, instead of disappearing, the flail remains, and now several copies of this weapon are presumed to exist throughout the world.
Special Ability: Once everyday, the wielder can blast an enemy with lightning, surround himself in a wall of fire, cause large hail to fall from the sky in a 10’ radius, and form a wall of earth 10’x10’x1’.

Staff One-handed, two hands increase damage moderately

Wooden Stave
Description: A simple length of hard wood, the wooden stave is little more than a long club, although it is a lighter and more elegant weapon than the club.

Quarterstaff
Description: A long length of smoothened hard wood, in skilled hands the Quarterstaff can be a dangerous weapon that can stun or trip an opponent before they can get close enough to respond.

Mage’s Staff
Description: A staff commonly in use by mages, although it may appear to be a simple staff, it is often much more. Capped at both ends with steel, a Mage’s staff can be a durable and devastating weapon if used properly. Most of these staffs are often runic, with large gems fitted into the head of the staff in order to focus the mage’s magical power.

Staff of the Archmagi
Runic: Yes – Fire
Description: Very few of these staffs are in existence, and they can usually only be found in the possession of the head of magic academies. These weapons are very powerful, not only allowing a mage to focus their power, but to enhance it.
Special Ability: Once everyday the staff can burst into flames, badly burning anything that comes into close contact with the weapon (save the wielder). In addition, any mage possessing this weapon will have five more spell points for the day.
Cost: 120 gp

Dagger One-handed only

Knife
Durability: 15
Description: A simple knife, more for cutting cheese than armor. Still, the weapon is small, cheap, and easily concealable. It can also be thrown.
Cost: 20gp

Dagger
Description: Basically a knife with a longer, thinner blade. The dagger is meant more for open combat, although its best use is slipping in between someone’s ribs on a dark night.

Dirk
Description: A heavy dagger, the dirk is practically a short sword. It is rarely used as such, however, often used instead as a backup weapon for thieves or as an off-hand weapon for someone skilled enough to fight with two weapons in a duel.

Kris Blade
Description: A weapon used to ritually kill living beings, and then raise them as undead, the Kris Blade was often found on the bodies of killed Necromancers during the Undead War. Very few of these weapons still exist today, but there are a few.
Special Ability: There is a 10% chance that with each victim killed by the weapon, the victim will be raised as an undead zombie under the killer’s control.

Miscellaneous

Scythe – Two hands
Description: Although there were scythe-like weapons used occasionally by powerful undead during the Undead war, all of those weapons were hunted down and destroyed after the war, so terrible were they. However, before the last scythe was destroyed, some of the information to create such a weapon again was preserved, and secretly passed on to less-savory mages, that used the information to design weaker versions of the Death Scythes.

Warhammer – One hand, two-handed increases damage moderately
Description: A massive hammer designed for combat, the warhammer is balanced enough to allow it to be used with only one hand, although swinging the weapon with both hands is far more devastating.

Nunchuckus – one hand
Description: An Eastern weapon, the Nunchuckus are essentially a pair of wooden sticks connected by a short chain. However, these weapons can be quite deadly in the hands of a master, especially one who is skilled enough to wield two at once.
Cost: 40gp

Hook and Chain – two hands
Description: A long chain with a weight at one end and a curved blade at the other, the Hook and Chain can be quite a dangerous weapon: to the wielder as well as the enemy. In addition to be used to attack an opponent from a distance, it can also be used to entangle an opponent.

Weighted Nets – one hand
Durability: 10
Description: A weighted net can be used to, at least temporarily, entrap and stop an opponent dead in its tracks. Exceptionally large or strong opponents, naturally, will not even be slowed by these weapons, although a large number of them may work.
Cost: 15 gp

Ranged Weapons

Bows Two-handed only

Short Bow
Description: A standard hunting bow, the short bow can be used in a wide variety of situations, making it a popular and therefore common weapon. The range and penetrating power of the bow leaves something to be desired, however.

Long Bow
Description: A bow rarely seen outside of war, the long bow is the standard weapon for an archer in the armies of the Twelve Kingdoms. Although it has less capable in dense forests and indoors compared to the short bow, the long bow has a much longer range outdoors.

Yew Bow
Description: A bow made out of only the finest materials, only nobles or rich mercenaries can usually afford these weapons. The expense is usually worth it, however.

Elven Bow
Description: Made out of the finest wood and with mithril furnishings, the Elven Bow is generally considered the pinnacle of bows. Using magical runes, the bow is also able to speed up its user’s firing rate, making the user an even more deadly opponent.
Special Ability: Once everyday, the user can use the bow’s powers to triple his firing rate for several minutes.

Crossbows Two-handed only

Single-shot Crossbow
Description: The standard crossbow used in military formations of crossbowmen. Able to penetrate all but the heaviest of armor, the crossbow is considered a dangerous, if inelegant weapon.

Arbalest
Description: A heavy version of the basic crossbow, the arbalest is designed to regularly break through thick shields and plate mail. A greatly feared weapon, the only drawback is the slow reloading time and strength requirement.

Repeating Crossbow (3 shots)
Description: An unusual weapon not often seen outside of a tinker’s laboratory, the repeating crossbow is a crossbow able to fire several bolts in a short period of time, without having to reload. The “clip” holding the extra bolts can only hold two bolts, however, and replacing an empty clip with a full one can take a significant amount of time, even for an experienced user.

Autocrossbow (6 shots)
Description: A very rare weapon, the Autocrossbow is only a recent invention. A much improved version of the repeating Crossbow, the autocrossbow can actually fire its bolts in a continuous and rapid succession, unlike the several seconds needed by most repeating crossbows to load another bolt and ready it to fire. An extremely effective weapon against large masses of unarmored troops, although the weapon still requires a long time to reload.

Miscellaneous

Throwing Stars (10 stars)
Durability: Consumable
Description: Simple five-pointed stars used as close-in missile weapons, Throwing Stars are rarely seen outside of the Eastern lands. Within the Eastern lands, however, they are known as the calling card of the ninja.
Cost: 20 gp

Throwing Axe (3 axes)
Description: Called by many different names, throwing axes from all cultures share a few common characteristics: a sharp, heavy blade designed to stick in a person’s flesh, a lightweight handle to minimize weight, and a well balanced handle and head.

Javelin (5 javelins)
Description: Javelins can come in a wide variety of quality, ranging from simple pieces of wood sharpened at each end, to solid metal poles sharpened to a fine point. These particular javelins are wooden shafts with metal tipped ends: effective, but not quite as costly.
Cost: 35

Throwing Knives (8 knives)
Description: Small and easily concealable, throwing knives are a common weapon among thieves. Although quite difficult to use effectively at long range or against someone clad in heavy armor, in the hands of a skilled user throwing knives are deadly regardless of the circumstances.

Naptha (2 jars)
Description: A highly flammable substance, Naptha is sealed inside a small glass or clay jar to prevent early ignition. A short wick leading down into the jar is lit, and then the jar is thrown. Several seconds later, the oil-soaked wick reaches the Naptha, and the jar explodes into flames and shrapnel. Anything within a 10’ radius is torched and covered by the searing flames. The flames will burn for a significant period of time, and cannot be easily extinguished, making Naptha a useful substance for sealing off narrow passages.

Chakrums (4 Chakrums)
Description: A sharp ring of metal designed to fly through the air, the chakrum makes a high-pitched whistling sound as it flies. The weapon has sharp edges around the outside, but the inner rim is dull and padded, which is where the wielder grips the weapon to throw it.
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.

Last edited by Inspectre; 2 Jul 2004 at 20:01.
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 08:34   #3
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Armor

There are a lot of enemies out there, and all of them want to kill you. Fortunately, if you are smart enough and rich enough, you can buy yourself some fancy armor to go with that fancy weapon you have. The armor is divided up into several categories: Helmets, Body Armor, Gauntlets, Grieves, and Shields. Note that while it may seem armor doesn’t offer any distinct benefits for the lone hero, it does help me decide whether that orc tears your head off, or simply dents your plate mail. Armor does not wear out, although you are certainly welcome to try to find upgraded armor for yourself among the dead. Note that you can buy armor for yourself, or your Armies at the rate of one purchase = enough for a unit of 50 men. Armor does boost your men’s survival rate significantly, as the best sorts of armor give them extra Wounds (more hit points).

Helmet

Hat
Class: Very Light
Benefits: Least your head isn’t bare
Description: A simple hat: more for looks than anything, although it is better than bare skin.
Cost: 5 gp

Leather Cap
Class: Light
Benefits: None
Description: A supple leather cap, the protection it offers is minimal, but the leather is harder to tear than a simple cloth hat.
Cost: 10 gp

Hardened Leather Cap
Description: A leather cap stiffened by the use of certain oils and fats, the hardened Leather cap is a bit like a helmet, although it still does not offer as much protection.

Reinforced Cap
Benefits: +1 Wounds
Description: A thick cap made out of only the toughest animal hide, the inside is lined with a fine fur, cushioning the wearer’s head against the metal plates sown inside the garment.

Bronze Helm
Class: Medium
Description: A simple helm made out of bronze, it offers the protection of an actual helm, although the relatively soft metal means that the helm doesn’t last intact for very long.

Chain Coif
Description: A coif made of out chainmail, this piece of armor protects both the wearer’s head and neck. Quite effectively too, although blunt and piercing weapons are still rather effective against it.

Mithril Chain Coif
Benefits: +2 Wounds
Description: Made out of a fine mithril alloy, the links of a mithril chain coif are much smaller, making piercing weapons much more ineffective.

Steel Helmet
Class: Heavy
Description: A helmet made out of steel plates, this piece of armor is the typical helmet of a knight. The helmet comes with a visor that can be raised to increase the wearer’s ability to see, and then lowered again just before going into combat.

Mithril Helmet
Description: A helmet similar to an ordinary knight’s helmet, this piece of armor is often more heavily adorned than usual and is made out of solid mithril. A common sight amongst nobles able to afford it, or members of the elite elfin units.

Dragon Skull Helmet
Benefits: +3 Wounds
Description: Almost always made out of the skull of a dragon, the sight of one of these helmets is often intimidating, for it is rumored that to truly wear a dragon’s skull, the would-be wearer must kill the skull’s original owner personally.

Mage’s Hat
Class: Special
Benefits: +1 Spell Points for a Mage
Description: The stereotypical pointy hat worn by mages, the fact that most of these hats are able to help mages focus their power, rather than tradition, is why these hats have continued to be used, even since Ancient times.

Samurai Helm
Benefits: Samurai-only, and equivalent to a Steel Helmet
Description: Worn only by the warriors of the East, the samurai, this piece of armor is rarely seen in the lands of the Twelve Kingdoms. However, occasional groups of Samurai are seen throughout the land, in addition to ambassadorial parties sent to the Twelve Kingdoms by the East.

Armor

Padded Armor
Benefits: Better than bare skin
Description: Made out of padded cloth, this armor does little to stop sword blows, although the padding does dampen the impact of blunt weapons somewhat, at least.

Leather Armor
Description: Made out of hardened leather, leather armor does little to impede the movements of the wearer, while at the same time giving the wearer decent protection.

Studded Leather Armor
Description: Essentially leather armor with metal studs in it, Studded Leather armor offers better protection due to the metal rivets, although it d

Hide Armor
Description: Made out of small metal plates sewn into thick hides, Hide armor is heavy and restrictive, although it does offer protection similar to metal armor without the cost.

Bronze Breastplate
Description: A heavy breastplate made out of bronze, this piece of armor offers great protection from the chest and back of its wearer, but does not protect the thighs and arms.

Chainmail
Description: A suit of armor made out of interconnected metal links, chainmail offers great protection for the entire body, although piercing weapons can prove the wearer is not invincible.

Mithril Chain
Description: A suit of chainmail made out of mithril, the links on this suit are much smaller, thus offering far better protection against piercing attacks, although the slimmest daggers can still penetrate.

Plate Mail
Description: The typical armor worn by a knight riding into battle, plate mail protects the wearer from the neck down to the knees. Protection for the head, feet, and arms is generally up to other pieces of armor.
Cost: 70

Mithril Plate
Description: Plate mail made out of mithril, this suit of armor is nearly indestructible, although the user can still be killed from the impact of the attacker’s blows.

Dragon Scale Mail
Description: Made out of the scaly skin of a dragon, dragon scale mail offers the most impressive protection against all forms of attack, including limited protection against magic. The armor is limited by its prohibitive cost and rarity, however.

Mage’s robes
Benefits: +3 Spell Points for a Mage, +1 Wounds
Description: Although they may appear to be simple robes worn by the average mage, these robes are generally worn only by the members of the higher echelons in the Mage ranks. The reason for this is that these robes enhance a mage’s magical power, while at the same time giving him/her a small amount of protection from an opponent’s blows.

Samurai armor
Benefits: Worn only by Samurai, and equal to Plate Mail
Description: Made out of lacquered bamboo, a samurai’s armor is fairly lightweight, while at the same time offering superior protection. Outside of the East, however, suits of this type are few and far between, as are people capable enough to repair them.

Gauntlets

Cloth Sleeves
Benefits: Protects from Sunburn
Description: Little more than simple sleeves made out of cloth, these cover the entire arm, instead of the usual tunic’s short sleeves that come down to just above the elbow.
Cost: 2 gp

Leather
Description: Gauntlets made out of leather, these pieces of cured hide are somewhat effective at protecting a wearer’s arms from shrapnel and the like, but do little against a direct blow.

Hardened Leather
Description: Similar to leather gauntlets, these have been treated further with specific oils and fats designed to harden the leather. This enables the gauntlets to take more abuse, although strong blows will still draw blood.

Studded Leather
Description: An additional improvement over hardened leather, this piece of armor adds metal studs, helping the gauntlets to fend off sword blows. The metal studs do little to lessen the impact of blows, however, and wearers can quickly find their arms broken, instead of slashed open, if they aren’t careful.

Bronze Gauntlets
Description: Heavy metal gauntlets made out of bronze, they protect their wearer’s arms quite well, although their heaviness tends to slow the wearer’s movements somewhat.

Chainmail Sleeves
Description: Sleeves made out of chainmail and designed to be attached to a chainmail suit, these pieces of armor can be quite effective protection, especially if added to a regular chainmail suit.

Mithril Chainmail
Description: Similar to regular chainmail sleeves, these are instead made out of mithril. As usual, they provide superior protection while remaining far lighter than their normal counterparts.

Plate Mail
Description: This part of a regular plate mail suit of armor is for the arms. The protection it offers is superior to most other armor, with the exceptions of mithril and dragon scale, of course.

Mithril Plate Mail
Description: Plate mail made out of mithril is fairly rare, but the extra protection the rare mineral provides is often well worth the effort of procuring it.

Dragon Scale
Description: Gauntlets made out of dragon scales, these pieces of armor prove to be superior to any artificial forms of armor, as usual.

Magic Rings
Benefits: +1 Spell Points when worn by a mage
Description: Many mages have at least some sort of focusing device for their energies. Magical rings are generally the cheapest of these, and although the extra power they give the mage is minimal, it is better than nothing.

Samurai Gauntlets
Benefits: Wearable only by Samurai, equivalent to Plate Mail
Description: Like other pieces of Samurai armor, these custom-fitted pieces of lacquered bamboo offer decent protection, while although a samurai almost full freedom of movement.

Grieves

Boots
Benefits: Better than bare feet
Description: Simple boots, they provide good enough protection for the feet over a long journey on foot. In combat, however, they are barely any protection at all.

Leather Shin Guards
Description: Thick leather boots with bands of leather to wrap around a person’s shins and ankles, this piece of armor is quite cheap, and offers fair protection for its cost.

Hardened Leather
Description: Leather hardened by special oils and fats, this armor is quite common, and while its protection is fairly enough to stop a powerful blow, it if often the very best that commoners can afford.

Studded Leather
Description: Hardened leather outfitted with metal studs and a metal plate sewn into the sole of the boot, this armor offers good protection, although clumping around in these heavy boots does take some getting used to.

Bronze Grieves
Description: Although this sort of armor has been around since the Undead War, it still is seen amongst the armies fielded by smaller and poorer kingdoms. Despite this fact, however, the bronze armor does hold up fairly well in battle.

Chainmail Leg Guards
Description: Essentially a set of pants made out of chainmail, this piece of armor is designed to protect the wearer’s legs, from his/her thighs down to his/her ankles. It is also designed to be attached to a regular chainmail suit, thus helping to provide full body protection.

Mithril Chain
Description: Similar to regular chainmail leg guards, these sets of armor are actually made out of lightweight mithril. Despite its light weight, however, the armor provides excellent protection.

Plate Mail Grieves
Description: The piece of a plate mail suit meant to protect the legs, these grieves suit their purpose aptly, often turning aside most blows. One would hope, however, that the wearer makes arrangements to have some sort of padding added to cushion the impact of blows however, or learn to deal with the pain of their aching shins.

Mithril Plate
Description: Like plate mail, only made out of a strong mithril alloy. As with all mithril armor, it weighs less than traditional steel, and yet at the same time is far more resistant to damage.

Dragon Scale
Description: Grieves made from the skin of a dragon are, as usual, superior to all other types of grieves, although they are extremely expensive to procure.

Pegasus Boots
Benefits: Once everyday, the mage can teleport to any location that s/he can see, and twice everyday the wearer can take into the air for a short length of time.
Description: Believed to have been made from the feathers of a Pegasus, these boots are highly magical. It is rare, however, to see anyone other than a mage wearing them, as only they seem to know how to use them properly.

Samurai Grieves
Benefits: Only wearable by Samurai, equivalent to Plate Mail Grieves
Description: Fashioned out of lacquered bamboo like the rest of their armor, samurai grieves complete the suit by giving protection to a samurai’s legs.

Shields-Takes one hand to use, except Buckler

Buckler
Description: Small wooden shields designed to slide over one arm, Bucklers are generally used by archers to help protect themselves from sudden attackers.

Knight’s Shield
Description: The shield of a true knight, this fairly large shield is often fashioned of the finest steel, and connected to a knight’s arm by the use of two leather straps.

Heraldic Shield
Description: Similar to a knight’s shield, these shields are often the property of nobles, and most have the noble’s heraldry painted onto the face, although with a few magic runes.

Tower Shield
Benefits: + 2 Wounds
Description: A very large shield meant to provide protection for nearly a warrior’s entire body; these shields are often nearly as big as the person that wields them. Through the use of mithril and long training with it, however, a skilled warrior can use the shield to full advantage without becoming tired.

Pavise – full-body shield
Class: Very Heavy (it is extremely unwieldy, and best left to serve as a stationary shield)
Description: An utterly massive shield designed to protect attackers moving up to a castle’s walls; these shields are rarely carried into battle and instead are mounted on wheels. This enables the attacker to keep his hands free to push the shield forward while using it to cover his entire body from attacks.

Dragon Shield
Description: Fashioned from the bones of a dragon and covered in dragon scale, Dragon
Shields are rarely seen in combat, and never outside of major wars. They are simply too valuable, it seems, to risk being lost due to the fickleness of combat.
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 08:36   #4
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Accessories

Although the defenders of Fort Solifax are, for the moment, amply provided with food and water, eventually those stores will run out. Without food and water, your characters will gradually grow weaker day by day, until . . . well, a goblin wipes you off his shoes. In addition to purchasing your own supply of food and water, you buy purchase a number of helpful items for your heros, ranging from healing potions to ammo to a mount. Note that while you can buy accessories for your heros, you cannot buy them for your Armies.

Potions

Healing Potion – Heals minor wounds

Water of Life – Heals moderate wounds

Elixir – Heals serious wounds

Giant’s Potion - Temporarily doubles strength

Speed Potion – Temporarily doubles speed

Hero’s Potion – Temporarily heals all wounds, temporary recovery from exhaustion, and heightens the drinker’s reflexes and abilities

Thief’s Potion – Makes the drinker invisible for a short period of time

Berserker’s Potion – Temporarily doubles strength and drives the drinker into a berserk rage

Potion of Invincibility – Temporarily covers the drinker’s skin in a layer of stone, making him/her immune to weapon blows for a short amount of time

Potion of Magic Resistance – Makes the drinker immune to magic and magical effects for a short amount of time.

Potion of Sustenance – Allows the drinker to survive without food or water for two days, although after the potion wears off the drinker is ravenously hungry.

Supplies

Torch – Used to search one area at night for salvage

Food – Food for 1 day

Water – Water for 1 day (this include a waterskin)

Wine – Water for 1 day, plus more refreshing/slight healing properties (this includes a wineskin)

Whetstone – Necessary to resharpen a melee weapon – 3 uses

String – Necessary to repair a ranged weapon – 3 uses

Oil – Used to start fires, burn bodies, makeshift bombs, whatever imagination brings

Ammo

Arrows – set of 30 regular arrows

Bolts – set of 30 regular crossbow/arbalest bolts

Repeater “Clips” – 5 sets of Repeating Crossbow bolts

Auto “Clips” – 5 sets of Autocrossbow bolts

Mythril Arrows – set of 30 mithril tipped arrows
Benefits: +1 Damage dice

Mythril Bolts – set of 30 mithril tipped arrows

Mythril “Clips” – 5 sets of Repeating Crossbow bolts

Mythril Auto “Clips” – 5 sets of Autocrossbow bolts

Magic Arrows – set of 30 magical arrows
Benefits: +2 Damage dice

Magic Bolts – set of 30 magical crossbow/arbalest bolts
Benefits: +2 Damage dice

Flame Arrows – set of 30 arrows wrapped in oil-soaked rags
Benefits: Set things aflame, cause permanent damage to regenerating creatures, etc.

Flame Bolts – set of 30 bolts wrapped in oil-soaked rags
Benefits: Set things aflame, cause permanent damage to regenerating creatures, etc.

Mounts

Pony – Young, untrained horse

Riding Horse – An unarmored horse meant more for riding than fighting, it is untrained as regards to keeping calm in combat, and may throw its rider and bolt.

Warhorse – Experienced horse with leather barding

Armored Warhorse – An experienced horse equipped with plate barding, enabling it to shrug off most blows

Wyverns – Winged dragons, these tamed beasts can be used as rapid transport from place to place, and can tear a rider’s opponents apart with their two claws, or kill them with a sting from their poisoned tails.
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 08:36   #5
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Armies

Sometimes, it’s nice to know that someone is watching your back. And sometimes, it’s really nice to that that fifty someones are watching your back. Armies are units of 50 men that fit into one of four categories: archers, infantry, cavalry, and spearmen. In addition to the weapons and armor that they come with, you can purchase them additional weapons and armor at the rate of one purchase = enough for 50 men, or one unit. Although weapons have little affect on a unit’s stats, armor can have a major effect. The best sorts of armor can give a unit extra Wounds, enabling it to survive in battle for far longer than usual. Each type of unit is set up as follows.

Name: The name of the unit
Max Armor: The maximum possible class of armor that members of the unit can wear. Pretty much, everyone can wear Heavy except Archers, who can only wear up to Medium-class armor.
Melee Damage: How much damage the unit inflicts on another unit in melee
Ranged Damage: How much damage the unit inflicts on anther unit from a distance
Mounted Damage: How much damage a unit inflicts on another unit if the men in that unit are mounted.
Wounds: How much damage the unit can take before it is completely destroyed. Note that the Wounds for each member of the unit can be found by dividing the Total Wounds by 50. Losing members in a unit reduces combat efficiency, which in turn reduces how much damage the unit inflicts.
Cost: How much a unit of 50 of these men costs.

Infantry

50 Infantry Militia – Equipped with Steel Short Swords & Leather Armor
Max Armor: Heavy
Melee Damage: 1d8
Ranged Damage: --
Mounted Damage: 1d8
Wounds: 50

50 Professional Infantry – Equipped with Knight Swords, Daggers, & Chainmail Suits
Melee Damage: 2d8
Mounted Damage: 2d8
Wounds: 150

50 Infantry Elites – Equipped with Great Swords, Man-at-Arms Short Swords, Daggers, & Chainmail Suits.
Max Wounds: 50
Armor: Heavy
Melee Damage: 3d8
Ranged Damage: 2d4 (by throwing daggers)
Mounted Damage: 3d8
Wounds: 200

50 Samurai – Equipped with Kengo Blades, Wakisashis & Samurai Armor
Max Armor: Samurai only
Melee Damage: 4d8
Mounted Damage: 4d8

50 Royal Guard – Equipped with Great Swords, Templar Swords, Dirks, Plate Mail, & Chainmail Coifs
Ranged Damage: 3d4 (by throwing dirks)
Wounds: 300
Cost: 115 gp

Cavalry

50 Militia Calvary – Equipped with Ponies, Steel Spears, and Studded Leather Armor
Melee Damage: 2d4
Mounted Damage: 2d6
Wounds: 50 (100 with mounts)

50 Mercenary Calvary – Equipped with Riding Horses, Lances, Man-at-Arms Short Swords, & Chainmail Suits
Melee Damage: 2d6
Mounted Damage: 4d6
Wounds: 150 (200 with mounts)

50 Heavy Calvary – Equipped with Warhorses, Knight Swords, Lances, Daggers, & Plate Mail
Melee Damage: 5d4
Ranged Damage: 2d4 (by throwing daggers)
Wounds: 250 (350 with mounts)

50 Yari Calvary – Equipped with Warhorses, Calvary Yaris, Kengo Blades, & Samurai Armor
Mounted Damage: 7d6
Wounds: 250 (350 with mounts)

50 Knights – Equipped with Armored Warhorses, Lances, Ice Blades, Dirks & Plate Mail
Melee Damage: 3d8
Ranged Damage: 3d4 (by throwing dirks)
Mounted Damage: 6d8
Wounds: 350 (500 with mounts)
Cost: 125 gp

Archers

50 Archers – Equipped with Short Bows, Daggers, & Studded Leather Armor
Melee Damage: 1d4
Ranged Damage: 4d4
Mounted Damage: --
Wounds: 50 Wounds

50 Yeoman Archers – Equipped with Long Bows, Man-at-Arms Short Swords, and Chainmail Suits
Melee Damage: 2d4
Ranged Damage: 5d4
Wounds: 150 Wounds

50 Samurai Archers – Equipped with Yew Bows, Samurai Blades, and Samurai Armor
Melee Damage: 2d6
Ranged Damage: 6d4
Wounds: 200 Wounds

50 Elven Archers – Equipped with Elven Bows, Knight Swords, Dirks, Bucklers, and Mithril Chainmail Suits
Melee Damage: 4d4
Ranged Damage: 8d4
Mounted Damage: 2d4
Wounds: 250 Wounds

50 Crossbowmen – Equipped with Single-shot crossbows, daggers, and Chainmail Suits
Melee Damage: 2d3
Ranged Damage: 3d6
Wounds: 100

50 Arbalesters – equipped with Arabalesters, Man-at-Arms Short Swords, and Chainmail Suits
Melee Damage: 2d3
Ranged Damage: 6d6
Wounds: 150

50 Repeating Crossbowmen – Equipped with Repeating Crossbows, Knight Swords, Dirks, and Chainmail suits
Melee Damage: 3d3
Ranged Damage: 10d6

Spearmen

50 Spearmen – Equipped with Steel Spears and Leather Armor
Melee Damage: 2d6 (4d6 on first attack)
Ranged Damage: 3d4 (if they throw their spears, and become defenseless)
Wounds: 50

50 Pikemen – Equipped with Steel Pikes, Man-at-Arms Short Swords, and Chainamil armor
Melee Damage: 3d6 (6d6 on first attack)
Wounds: 100

50 Yari Samurai – Equipped with Infantry Yaris, Samurai Blades, and Samurai Armor
Melee Damage: 3d6 (6d6 on first attack)

50 Halberdiers – Equipped with Poleaxes, Knight Swords, and Plate Mail
Melee Damage: 4d6 (8d6 on first attack)
Wounds: 250
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.

Last edited by Inspectre; 2 Jul 2004 at 20:03.
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 08:38   #6
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Spells

Only mages can use spells. However, mages are limited in how much magical energy they harness for use per day. This amount of energy is divided up equally into amounts known as “spell slots”. Each mage gets ten spells slots per day, modified by equipment and the like, up to a maximum of twenty. Upon casting a spell, that mage expends from one to three spell slots, depending on the level of the spell. The mage does not have to pick his spells ahead of time, and can select any spell to use from the following list.

Mages can also choose to specialize in certain spells, allowing them to create special effects with them that most normal mages cannot. This focus on select spells has a price, however, as the mage must give up on two other spells of the same level, as s/he did not have time to study them.

Level 1 – Uses Up One Spell Slot

Magic Missile – Three balls of reddish energy are released from the mage’s palm, slamming into a target the mage designates.

Specialist: Five balls of energy are released, and each can be sent at different targets (although there is no guarantee only one ball will kill a target)

Camouflage – The mage’s clothes and skin take on the coloration of his area exactly, effectively making him invisible. However, the mage’s shadow is still visible, and a shimmering in the air is often visible if the mage moves as the camouflage shifts to match the new surroundings.

Specialist: Due to using magic to bend light waves, the mage’s shadow is somewhat diminished, so it is not as apparent that there is a person standing there.

Eagle-Eye – This spell greatly enhances the mage’s visual acuity, allowing him/her to clearly see objects that are beyond normal human sight range (much like an eagle’s).

Specialist: In addition to seeing objects far away, the mage is now able to pick up on small details, such as a link missing in a suit of chainmail. This can make a mage a deadly sniper, if properly equipped.

Shield – Summoning a nearly-invisible bubble of energy around him/herself, the mage using this spell is somewhat protected from projectile attacks. There is a 45% chance that any average-sized projectile fired/thrown at the mage will be harmlessly deflected in a new direction, a 45% chance that the projectile will break through the shield and continue on towards the mage, and a 10% chance that the projectile will actually be reflected back at the attacker. Melee attacks are only slightly slowed by the presence of a Shield, giving the mage a slightly greater amount of protection, but far from anything powerful enough to rely upon.

Specialist: A mage specialized in this spell is able to generate a stronger shield, raising the chances of deflecting an incoming projectile to 65%. The Reflection chance remains the same however. The mage may also opt to form the Shield around another specified location or target: an ally or a generalized location, such as the top of a tower. There is a danger of spreading the Shield too thin, however, and thus weakening it.

Fireball – The stereotypical ball of fire, which virtually every mage has used at one time or another. After summoning the ball of fire into existence, the mage can “throw” the fireball at a target, burning it severely from the heat of the flames.

Specialist: Through careful study, a mage can learn to cause the fireball to momentarily “flare” upon impact with a target, causing the entire area around the target in a five foot radius to burst into flames.

Icicle – By using this spell to call upon the Element of Water, a mage can form a foot-long icicle in his/her hand. The icicle can then be used as a temporary dagger, or magically thrown, much like a fireball. Unlike the fireball, however, the Icicle is much more effective at piercing heavy armor.

Specialist: The strongest mages have been known to throw Icicles with such force that they can go completely through a knight in heavy plate mail. Through careful study, any mage can now duplicate this feat, and even use the same Icicle to go through several Knights, assuming they’re all standing in a straight line.

Rock – Similar to a fireball spell, only this time the mage creates a solid ball of earth, rather than fire. The rock created is often the size of a small catapult stone, so it is easily capable of bowling over/crushing whoever it is thrown at.

Specialist: Rather than being solid, the rock created is actually hollow. When it impacts against a target, it shatters into hundreds if not thousands of razor-sharp pieces, shredding the target and anyone nearby. Those wearing thick hides or thick armor are barely affected by this storm of shrapnel, although anyone not armored is almost certainly dead.

Gust – Summoning forth a strong, sudden gush of wind, a mage can put this use of the Air Element to a variety of good uses. It can temporarily slow approaching opponents, knock ladders off of walls, and push objects in whatever direction the mage wants them to go.

Specialist: Specialists in this sort of spell are often able to maintain the spell’s energy and effects for longer, as well as creating stronger gusts of wind. These gusts, if focused properly, can knock opponents over, and then send them sliding back.

Shock - By focusing the power of the Lightning Element into their hands, most mages can give their opponents a nasty shock if they get too close. However, to properly channel the energy into their opponent, the mage must either touch his/her opponent, or strike the opponent with some sort of conductor (i.e. metal).

Specialist: With a bit of careful study, a mage can learn to "throw" the electrical power coursing through his/her hand. Instead of having to touch the opponent, a specialist mage simply has to get close to the target, and then the electricity jumps like a spark between them.

Shadow Strike - Using vile Dark magic, a mage is able to cause a person’s own shadow to rise against him/her, striking and stabbing for several seconds. This can provide a suitable distraction for the mage to slip away, although it rarely kills its intended victim, as the shadow is ethereal, and thus cannot affect the physical world.

Specialist: Upon further study into the black powers of this spell, it was found that a person’s shadow could kill its owner, if the shadow could be enabled to affect the physical world. By pumping additional power into a victim’s shadow, this effect is granted, allowing the rebelling shadow the ability to physically affect the victim with blows, cuts, and strangulations.

Dazzle – Using the power of Light to create a brilliant ray of light, a mage can temporarily blind a person. This spell can also be used to illuminate a dark area, such as an unlit room. However, as it is only a ray of light, and does not last very long, it is not as effective of a light source as it could be.

Specialist: Skilled practitioners of the Dazzle spell are able to widen the narrow beam into a cone, possibly blinding several opponents at once, or light up a darkened area much more effectively. The spell’s effects also last a slightly longer amount of time.

Level 2 – Uses up Two Spell Slots

Sicken – Through the use of this magic, a mage is able to disrupt the body’s functions, causing it to react as if under attack by the plague. Muscle spasms, vomiting, and a slow withering of the flesh are all common to victims on this spell. The target often dies after several minutes of agony.

Specialist: Skilled mages of this spell, and there are indeed very few of them, are able to affect more than one person with this foul attack, often covering a small area in a cloud of miasma. Anyone entering the area where the spell has taken effect will be affected by the spell and die, slowly, although those entering the area after a few minutes won’t be nearly as badly affected.

Haste – With the power of magic, it is said that anything can be controlled – even the passage of time. Mages who employ this spell seem to prove that theory, as they double the passage of time for them while the world around them continues at its normal pace. Under the effects of this spell mages’ movement speed, combat actions, etc. are doubled in number.

Specialist: Although all mages that are knowledgeable about Haste can increase their own speed, only skilled mages can speed up the passage of time for others. Those that are skilled, however, are able to so affect three different people at once, should they so desire.

Slow – In effect the opposite of Haste, the spell known as Slow does just that – slow the passage of time down. Rather than automatically affecting him/herself, however, the mage can choose whom to bestow the effect on: often a particularly vicious enemy.

Specialist: As with mages specializing in the Haste spell, those that choose to specialize in Slow are able to affect three separate targets with each casting.

Fly – Sometimes walking or riding from point to point is not enough, and instead the spell known as Fly is employed by mages. As the name suggests, this spell enables a mage to take to the air and fly like a bird, quickly traveling to his/her destination.

Specialists: With a bit more study of the Fly spell, mages are able to bestow the ability of flight to both themselves and comrades, up to a limit of four people per casting.

Combust – Another spell grounded in the realm of Fire, Combust is a combat spell that causes the air around a target to superheat, causing them to burst into flames. The area of effect is only good enough to affect one man-sized victim however, or several small animals.

Specialists: Through countless hours of study and practice, a mage is able to expand the area of the Combust’s spell effect. Instead of enveloping a single man-sized creature in flame, the mage is now able to affect everything in a 5’ radius, which is usually enough to affect a very large creature, or several man-sized ones.

Icy Ground – Sometimes, mages might want to merely slow down or disable opponents as opposed to killing them outright. One of these often non-lethal spells is Icy Ground, a Water-based spell. Through the use of this spell, a mage covers a small patch of ground with ice, making it difficult for anyone to keep their footing. This will often slow down or even stop opponents, as they slip and slide about on the ice. Of course, it can be fatal, should the Icy Ground be cast next to a cliff, for example.

Specialists: Although the effects of this spell are similar regardless of who casts it, mages who specialize in this spell are able to increase the effects. Instead of creating a simple sheet of ice along the ground, the mage is able to have the ice grow up around a target’s legs, effectively freezing them in place until they are able to free themselves or the spell dissipates.

Stalactite – With the power of Earth Elemental magic, a mage can use this spell to cause a sharp stalactite to suddenly burst out of the ground beneath a target, skewering it.

Specialists: Instead of causing a single stalactite to burst out of the ground, specialists in this spell are able to cause an entire group of spines to emerge from the ground, tearing through anyone in the area of effect.

Rising Breeze – Through the use of powerful Air Elemental magics, mages can create strong gusts of wind similar to the Gust spell. However, these gusts of wind rise up from below a target, as opposed to coming straight in along the ground like normal. By coming up from below, the gusts of wind are able to pick the target up, sending them spinning through the air, before crashing back down to the ground.

Specialists: With some practice, mages are able to learn how to manipulate the air flows in the Rising Breeze spell, controlling where the target lands. With this knowledge, mages can send one target up into the air, and then send that target careening into several more.

Jolt - In essence a miniature lightning bolt that the mage summons forth, this Lightning Elemental spell can be absolutely deadly in the right situations. However, the spell can only strike and kill one target at a time, as the entire spell's electrical energy is discharged into a single target, regardless of how glancing a blow the mage strikes with it.

Specialist: By focusing an exceptionally large amount of magical energy into the bolt of lightning that the Jolt spell creates, a mage specializing in this spell is able to alter the spell's characteristics dramatically. Instead of fully discharging on the first target that it hits, the Jolt spell blasts through the target and then continues onward, leaving only about 1/4 of its charge behind. Against a closely packed line of targets, this can be a very effective spell, although those are the back would not likely to be affected much, due to the continued 1/4 dimishment of the spell per target struck.

Darkness – Seeking a way to help protect themselves, some mages have resorted to Shadow magic once again. This particular spell cloaks the mage in Night, surrounding him/her with an area of inky blackness. It is pretty much impossible for anyone to see into or within the cloud of darkness, although the mage’s vision is unhampered. The area of darkness does not move with the mage, however.

Specialists: Those who devout further study to the black arts have discovered how to tie the area of darkness to themselves, so that it would follow them, constantly hiding them from sight regardless of where they go.

Flash – Somewhat similar to the Dazzle spell, mages skilled in the Light arts are able to create a bright flash of light, centered on themselves. Anyone that is near to the mage when the Flash goes off will almost certainly be blinded by the brilliant light. In darkened areas, this spell can also light up the area, much like a streak of lightning does.

Specialists: Instead of having to release the spell around them, mages experienced with the Flash spell can choose their own center for the blast of light. Obviously, this opens up more tactical options, as the mage no longer has to be physically at the area that s/he wants to affect.

Level 3 – Uses up Three Spell Slots

Teleport – There are times when a mage has to travel quickly and decisively, and for those occasions a mage uses the Teleport spell. This spell opens a temporary rift in existence, which the mage steps through. Once through, the mage is able to transport him/herself to anywhere that s/he can recall, and will appear in that location. Obviously, the mage must have previously visited a location and studied it carefully for this spell to work.

Specialist: Some of the most powerful and experienced mages are able to actually visualize their destination from the other side of the rift. This ability to see the real world allows them to instantly teleport to any location that they desire, assuming they have at least some idea of what is there. Their intense control of the magical energies used by this spell means that so long as they know where they want to go, they will safely arrive there.

Adrenaline – Somewhat similar to the Haste spell, the Adrenaline spell allows a mage to boost both his/her speed AND strength. Although there is some variation in the effects of the spell among different mages, the average boost in speed and strength is 50%.

Specialists: Those mages that have frequently used the Adrenaline spell are often more familiar with their bodies’ capabilities, allowing them to boost the average effects of the spell up to a 100% increase in both speed and strength.

Invisible – There are times when discretion is the better part of valor, and while the Camouflage spell is effective in most cases, sometimes more concealment is needed. For those situations, most mages use the Invisible spell, which makes the mage completely disappear from sight. Although others can still hear the mage’s movements, s/he is completely undetectable with sight, which includes the mage’s shadow.

Specialists: Those that study all of the works written about the Invisibility spell will learn that it can be cast on others in addition to the mage him/herself

Crush – Focusing a large amount of magical energy around a single target, a mage is able to create a collapsing bubble of force around that target. This bubble of force often crushes the target, either killing it outright or shattering many of the bones in its body. Either way, this powerful spell is often responsible for the deaths of even the most powerful warriors.

Specialists: After careful study of how the Crush spell works, certain mages are often able to create a secondary effect. Instead of forming a simple bubble of force around a single target, these mages are able to create a vortex, tearing apart the first target and then sucking anything nearby into the vortex’s hungry maw.

Explosion – One of the most powerful Fire Elemental spells commonly available, mages employing this spell create a large ball of fire similar to a Fireball. However, this ball of fire explodes into a raging inferno upon impact. This inferno then rapidly expands to cover a fairly large circular area, hence the name.

Specialists: After careful study of the Explosion spell, mages are capable of creating not one, not two, but three separate balls of exploding fire at once. Once created, the mage can direct each ball of fire separately, so that even a single mage can devastate a widely spread-out army.

Ice Wall – This Water Elemental spell is often used by mages to seal a corridor or breached wall closed. The mage stands at the point where s/he wants the wall of solid ice to form, and traces the outline of the block. A few seconds later the air in the indicated area supercools, and moisture from the air is flash frozen into about a foot-thick wall of ice. Although the wall is breakable, it often takes quite a bit of work from pursuers to smash their way through the thick ice.

Specialists: Instead of having to be physically present where they want the Ice Wall to form, a skilled Ice Wall mage can simply indicate where s/he wants the wall, and it will form as normal. This ability can therefore be used to create walls from afar . . . but also to form Ice Walls up in the air, and have gravity send them slamming down onto opponents’ heads.

Stoneskin – Rather than focusing on offense, this powerful Earth Elemental spell actually focuses on defense. Mages using this spell can cover their skin in a hard shell of stone, protecting them from blows. Unfortunately, while the shell is hard and protects the mage from virtually all harm from normal blows, the shell itself is fragile, and frequently cracks open after several hard blows.

Specialists: By devoting more of their time in studying this spell, mages are able to bring about several improvements to the normal Stoneskin spell. First, the Stoneskin itself generally lasts longer, flaking off instead of cracking and falling apart in chucks. In addition, the mage specializing this spell will be able to cause a Stoneskin to form over an ally or any other target that s/he wishes to be protected, instead of him/herself.

Whirlwind – By focusing their magical energy into this Air Elemental spell, a mage is able to create a miniature tornado around him/herself. Obviously, while remaining in the center or “eye” of the tornado, the mage is more or less protected from all physical harm, due to the fact that nearly all projectile weapons are deflected, added to the debris circling around in the furious winds, as is pretty much anyone attempting to enter the spiraling vortex of air from the outside. Those already caught in the blast radius when the spell hits are, of course, picked up and tossed about like rag dolls, before finally being spat out and sent tumbling through the air to land in a mangled heap some distance away.

Specialists: Instead of forming the twisting vortex of air around themselves, specialists in this spell are able to cause the Whirlwind to form wherever they wish, provided, of course, that the area where the miniature tornado is to be formed is within view. Specialists can also direct the Whirlwinds movements, so sweeping an entire area clean of opponents is certainly possible.

Lightning Sphere - Summong forth incredible Lightning Elemental energy, a mage is able to create a powerful shield around him/herself. Anyone attempting to enter this sphere of electrical energy is, obviously, shocked badly, and often recieves enough energy to combust. Unfortunately, after several such contacts, the sphere is drainned and dissipates.

Specialists: Although the Lightning Sphere is usually a defensive spell, certain mages are able to quickly turn it into an effective spell. By drainning the sphere of all of its power early, the mage is able to throw the energy out in an explosion of electricity. Anyone nearby the mage is often subject to the spell's effects, as the electricity arcs off of the shield and into them. Those wearing metal armor are usually struck first, so it is possible to survive such an attack if one was wearing light armor while a good number of people nearby were in plate mail.

Shades – Summoning forth even more powerful dark energies, mages knowledgeable of this spell are about to form three separate doubles of themselves from Shadow. These duplicates follow the mage that created them about, essentially serving as convenient distractions and meatshields. The only problem with this spell is that once struck by a blow, the duplicate dissipates and returns to the shadow that it once was.

Specialists: Mages devoting themselves even more entirely to the dark magics are able to summon forth five duplicate shadows of themselves, however these are much more capable. Each of these shadows is capable of independent action, and while one strong blow still causes them to dissipate, they can fight back and inflict actual damage. At best, however, they serve as cheap cannon fodder and excellent distractions, allowing the real mage to move about unmolested as his/her opponents deal with the fake shades.

Flare – Although quite rare, this powerful Light spell is often seen used in most large-scale conflicts by one side or the other. In essence, the Flare spell is a searing blast of light that emerges from the caster’s hand, stretching out to sear any nearby opponents in a roughly 90 degree arc in front of the caster. Interestingly enough, the Flare spell seems able to tell friend from foe, and thus it is one of the very few area of effect spells that will not kill any allies caught in the blast.

Specialists: Even rarer than the normal Flare spell, a very select few amongst the mage ranks are capable of using the enhanced version of the spell, which is a 360 degree blast in all directions from the caster. The area of effect for this version seems to be a bit larger than the normal version as well. Like the normal flare, this enhanced version is able to tell friend from foe.
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.

Last edited by Inspectre; 5 Jul 2004 at 06:55.
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 15:01   #7
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Help "Files"

And here will go all the answers to any questions that you RPers want to ask, along with any additional rules/explanations that I may make from time to time.
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 16:03   #8
No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts
Re: Hero's Epitaph

Here's my question:

How the hell am I meant to get all that stuff done by monday?
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville
No Dachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 18:11   #9
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

ooc: Where's the autocrossbow men eh?

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 18:37   #10
Dunin Hemm
Bärsärkarvarg

Dunin Hemm is on a distinguished road

For description and picture of his face and physique, go to Asghan.

Name: Asghan
Race: Human
Class: Melee Fighter
Height: 7'7''
Weight: 316 lb
Equipment:

Weapons:
Grand Sword - 95 gp
Dirk - 40 gp
Autocrossbow - 110 gp
Throwing Knives (8 knives) - 30 gp

Armour:
Mithril Chain - 75 gp
Leather Gauntlets - 5 gp
Boots - 5 gp

Potions:
Elixir (3) - 180 gp

Supplies:
Torch (3) - 15 gp
Food (7) - 105 gp
Water (2) - 20 gp
Wine - 25 gp
Whetstone - 35 gp
String - 45 gp

Ammunition:
Mythril Auto “Clips” - 55 gp

Gold: 360 gp

Last edited by Dunin Hemm; 7 Jul 2004 at 00:12.
Dunin Hemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 19:44   #11
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

Hero
Name: LORD HEWITT
Race: Drakken
Class: Pyromancer

Specialised Spells
Level 1
- Eagle Eye
- Fireball
- Shield (Fire shield perhaps?)

Level 2
- Slow
- Combust
- Flash

Level 3
- Crush
- Explosion
- Flare

Standard Spells
Level 1 - Magic missile
Level 2 - Haste
Level 3 - Adrenaline

NOTE: This means all other spells listed are unavailable to this character

Weapon of Choice
Staff of the Archmagi - 120gp

Armour and Clothing
Dragon Skull Helmet - 75 gp
Mage’s robes - 80 gp
Magic Rings - 45gp
Dragon Scale Gauntlets - 50 gp
Dragon Scale Grieves - 65 gp
Dragon Scale Mail - 100gp

Other
Wyvern - 100 gp
1 Bottle of Wine (a fine red cab sav I think ) - 25gp
4 Torches - 20gp

Total Cost: 680gp

Army

100 Autocrossbowmen (Total amount: 520gp)

Soldiers - Human
- Repeat Crossbowmen - 75gp

Weapons
- Autocrossbow - 40gp (Upgraded from repeating crossbow)
- Knight sword
- Dirk

Armour
- Mithril Chainmail suit - 20gp (Upgraded from standard chain)
- Mithril Chain Coif - 50gp
- Mithril Chainmail Gauntlets - 30gp
- Mithril Chain Grieves - 45gp

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 20:17   #12
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

Disrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to all

Name: Duke
Race: Elf
Class: Wyvern Archer of the Wyvern Clan (specialty is Wyverns; village lives with/worships them)
Starting Gold:600
Gold left after Gear: 15
Gear: Dirk- Flash
Yew bow- Hyperion
Dragon skull
Dragon scale mail
Dragon scale gloves
Dragon scale boots
Buckler
Healing potion 1x
Oil
Normal Arrows 2x
Wyvern- Thorowin the Swift Winged (Greenish blue scales, blood red eyes)

ooc/ are the bits of history ok? and can i make up the other 4 characters as i need them?

Last edited by Disrupter; 6 Jul 2004 at 23:10.
Disrupter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 01:28   #13
Wraith[x]
Moo?

Wraith[x] is an unknown quantity at this point

Are the Runic items unique? If so, isn't it a bit unfair that one person shouldbe able to have two of them?

The answers to these will dictate my character, so:

If Runics are unique, and Bakan's allowed two, I'd like to reserve Angelwing.
If Runics are unique, and Bakan's not allowed two, I'll have whichever he doesn't use
If they're not unique, it doesn't matter and I can design my char anyway

Thankee
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 12:01   #14
No Dachi

Characters
No Dachi (secondary)
Takata Matsumori (primary)
Sugimoto Kiyoshi (tertiary)

Stats, No Dachi (400 + 2*200 = 800 GP to spend)
Name: No Dachi
Class: Kensai ('Sword Saint')
Equipment: Kensai Katana (105 gp)
Wakizashi (45 GP)
Samurai Helm (45 GP)
Samurai Armour (75 GP)
Samurai Gauntlets (40 GP)
Samurai Greaves (45 GP)
4*Water of Life (160 GP)
2*Whetstone (35 GP)
4*Food (60 GP)
4*Water (40 GP)
100 Samurai (150 GP)

Stats: Matsumori
Name: Takata Matsumori
Class: Samurai
Equipment: Masamune (75 GP)
Samurai Helm (45 GP)
Samurai Armour (75 GP)

Stats: Kiyoshi
Name: Sugimoto Kiyoshi
Class: Sohei (Warrior Monk)
Equipment: Samurai Armour (75 GP)
Naginata (65 GP)
Yew Bow (60 GP)

---

Histories coming later.

Unread 3 Jul 2004, 14:40   #15
Planetkiller II
Current HrH Manijjmint

Planetkiller II has a spectacular aura aboutPlanetkiller II has a spectacular aura about

Rhea (Golem)
Level 1
Magic Missile
Shield – Specialist
Fireball – Specialist
Rock - Specialist

Level 2
Haste – Specialist
Slow
Combust – Specialist
Stalactite – Specialist

Level 3
Teleport
Explosion – Specialist
Stoneskin – Specialist
Flare – Specialist

Warhammer
Dragon Skull Helmet
Dragon Scale Mail
Dragon Scale Gauntlets
Dragon Scale Grieves
40gp spent on ‘General Golemness’, i.e. being strong, tough, huge and fairly dumb.

395gp

Warder (Human)

4 Torch
Food
3 Water
Whetstone
String
Oil
Padded Armor
Leather
Leather Shin Guards
Ranger Sword

225gp

Gabriel (Elf)

Level 1
Magic Missile
Eagle-Eye – Specialist
Fireball – Specialist
Dazzle – Specialist

Level 2
Haste
Fly – Specialist
Combust –Specialist
Flash – Specialist

Level 3
Adrenaline
Explosion – Specialist
Whirlwind – Specialist
Flare – Specialist

Autocrossbow (6 shots)
Wyvern
Padded Armor
Leather
Leather Shin Guards

290gp

Nosnoré (Elf)

Level 1
Shield
Eagle-Eye – Specialist
Icicle – Specialist
Shadow Strike – Specialist

Level 2
Slow
Fly – Specialist
Icy Ground –Specialist
Darkness – Specialist

Level 3
Invisible
Ice Wall – Specialist
Whirlwind – Specialist
Shades – Specialist

Autocrossbow (6 shots)
Wyvern
Padded Armor
Leather
Leather Shin Guards

290gp

0gp

Descriptions still to come...

Horseman of the Psy-Apocalypse - Famine, Psychic Weapons Divison Commander and Tutor of Telenullics at the Academy of Psychics
Planetkiller II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 19:15   #16
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Crazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Conan
Race: Humanish
Class: Barbarian Slayer Dude
Money: 800 (2 NPC's sacrificed)

Equipment:
- Ravenwing (Primary Weapon) - 135gp
- Dwarven Axe (Secondary Weapon) - 100gp
- Kris Blade - 65gp
- Dragon Skull Helm - 75gp
- Mithril Chain - 75gp
- Dragon Scale Mail - 100gp
- Healing Potions - 20 gp
- Water of Life - 40gp
- 2x Elixir - 120gp
- Armoured Warhorse - 75gp

Total: 805 (5gp taken from the money of one NPC if that's ok Mr Inspectre dude)

Name: Brian
Race: Human Barbarian
Class: Slayer
Money: 200gp

Equipment:
- Highlander Sword - 70gp
- Mithril Chain - 75gp
- Mithril Chain Choif - 50gp

Name: Marvin
Class: Mage
Money: 195gp

Equipment:
- Mage's Staff - 55gp
- Mage's Robes - 90gp
- Naptha Jars (2) - 50gp

Spells:

Specilised:
- Shadow Stirke (lvl 1)
- Flare (lvl 3)

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Ghetto Master Ellis says:
Heil Crazy!
Crazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 05:49   #17
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Ur_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the rough

I'll join, but I have some remarks/questions:

- The first one is the setting of the thread. Will we only play defending this fort, or do we also go to other places and travel a lot?
- What special(s) does the Mage's Staff with lightning runes have?
- I take it that +1 spell point means +1 spell slot? If not I'm not sure how spells, spellslots and spellpoints work.
- You haven't put any damages on the weapons
- Am I correct to understand that you either play with 1 main character and 4 secondary characters or you play with 1 maincharacter and an army, but not both (main chracter, secondary character and army)?
- Do I have to pay for my army with the money that I would otherwise spend on my secondary characters?
- Can I play primary and secondary characters simultaneously or does the primary need to bekilled before I can control a secondary character?
- What is the benefit of having a fighter when I can also create a mage, give him the equipment and appearance of a warrior and be able to use spells.
- Stalactite spell, that should be stalacmite (tites are hanging from the ceiling, mites are coming from the ground). [/pedant]
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 01:00   #18
Wraith[x]
Moo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur_Quan
that should be stalagmite
[/pedant]
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 01:01   #19
Wraith[x]
Moo?

And I was wondering about the fighter/mage question too. I assume fighters do greater damage, have more helath, higher fortitude etc
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 04:21   #20
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

Disrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to all

i have my own question....
can i respend money on my one guy, or am i allowed to make more as i need them?
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 05:41   #21
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Ur_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the rough

Another question: many 'mage items' do not offer protection. Is it possible for a mage to choose (and pay for) multiple items in this class? E.g. wearing chainmail under or over his robe, or wearing rings under or over his gloves?

A suggestion: for most spells it is obvious to which element they belong, but in the light of runic items, it might be helpful to specifically mention with each spell, to what elemtent it belongs?

A complaint: I cannot finish my character(s) without the answers to all of my questions. Therefore it seems unreasonable to me that you maintain Monday's deadline.
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 12:43   #22
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

Fluffie is in. Somehow, somewhere.
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 13:02   #23
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

yes, Phang also is in, with the promise of edits on the horizon
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 13:58   #24
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

name: Nibimacarion
race: elf
class: warrior
equipment: 1200 gold to spend, 1185 spent
Kensai -105gp
dragoon -85gp
dragon skull helmet -75gp
dragon scale mail armor -100gp
dragon scale gauntlets -50gp
dragon scale grieves -65gp
dragon shield -75gp
Wyvern -100gp
2 jars of Naptha -50gp
2x whetstone -70gp
5x water -50gp
5x food -75gp
2x speed potion -90gp
4x healing potion -80gp
1x royal guards, 50 troops, standard equipment -115gp

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2004, 03:05   #25
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Name: Lothax
Race: Yahtgy
Class: Battle Mage (male)

Racial Information: The Yahtgy are an elusive and mysterious people. Without exception, they have always been known to favour 'the good cause'. They are rarely seen in this world, but it is said that when you do see one, you'd better pack your things and run a long way, because disaster is rapidly coming your way as it is believed that the Yahtgy will only walk the earth when it is in grave danger.
In appearance, the Yahtgy resemble ordinary humans with the difference that their eyes are always magenta coloured and like Elves they're usually much older than they look. Another distinct feature of the Yahtgy can be found in battle; Yahtgy are powerful mages, but unlike their human counterparts, they fight with 2 staves (one in each hand). The staves themselves are usually imbued with magical properties to amplify the Yahtgy's magical powers.

History: When it became clear to the Yahtgy that a great evil had once more befallen the world and that it needed a Yahtgy mage to restore its balance, Lothax was elected by the Yahtgy's Supreme Council to do just that. Although it was customary that this election would be perceived as an honour among Yahtgy, Lothax didn't see it that way. He had been sent into the world once before and he had not liked it. He had seen and experienced the worst of what orcs, goblins, but also humans and elves and what other creatures lived there were capable of. Besides, he liked his job as a teacher at the Yahtgy Academy and wasn't very eager with his assignment. His appearance was that of a man at the final stages of life. His long hair was white, but often looked like silver whenever it reflected sun- or moonlight. It was only in appearance though that Lothax resembled an old man, for he was still as nimble and quick, if not quicker than most middle aged humans and his mind was as strong as ever.

Equipment:
- 2x Staff of the Archmagi (runic;fire, +5 spell points, bursts into flame once a day) 120 gp
- Chain Coif (+1 Wounds) 35 gp
- Mithril Chainmail (+2 Wounds) 75 gp
- Mithril Chainmail Sleeves (+2 Wounds) 30 gp
- Chainmail Leg Guards (+1 Wounds) 30 gp
- Pegasus Boots (teleport once a day, fly twice a day) 60 gp
- Wyverns (winged dragon mount) 100 gp
- 2x Food (2x food for 1 day) 2x15 = 30 gp
- 2x Water (2x water for 1 day) (this includes a waterskin) 2x10 = 20 gp
- 2x Torch (used to search one area at night for salvage) 2x5 = 10 gp

Spells:

Level 1: uses 1 spell point
* Fireball (SPECIALIST)
* Rock (SPECIALIST)
* Magic Missile
* Camouflage
* Shield
* Icicle
* Shock

Level 2: uses 2 spell points
* Sicken (SPECIALIST)
* Haste (SPECIALIST)
* Icy Ground (SPECIALIST)
* Stalagmite
* Jolt

Level 3: uses 3 spell points
* Crush (SPECIALIST)
* Explosion (SPECIALIST)
* Ice Wall (SPECIALIST)
* Stoneskin
* Lightning Sphere

=================================

Name: Veruna
Class: Battle Mage Apprentice (female)

History: Veruna had been Lothax's apprentice for quite a number of years when he was elected to be sent into the world, so she had been allowed to come with him. Unlike Lothax, Verona had never been there before and was therefore quite eager to go. Veruna was taller than most women and despite her real age, she didn't look a day over 23. Along with her long brown hair and somewhat tanned skin, she was a sight that most men failed to take their eyes off.

Equipment:
- 2x Staff of the Archmagi (runic;fire, +5 spell points, bursts into flame once a day) 120 gp
Spells:

* Eagle-Eye (SPECIALIST)
* Shadow Strike (SPECIALIST)
* Magic Missile
* Camouflage
* Shield
* Rock
* Gust

* Fly (SPECIALIST)
* Rising Breeze (SPECIALIST)
* Jolt (SPECIALIST)
* Combust
* Flash

* Invisible (SPECIALIST)
* Whirlwind (SPECIALIST)
* Shades (SPECIALIST)
* Icewall
* Stoneskin
Unread 6 Jul 2004, 04:26   #26
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Bakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bakan
Class: Mage Defender
Equipment:
  • Dragon Skull Helmet - 75 gp
  • Dragon Scale Mail - 100 gp
  • Dragon Scale Gauntlets - 50 gp
  • Dragon Scale Grieves - 65 gp
  • Ravenwing (Runic - Shadow) - 135 gp
  • Throwing Knives (8 knives) - 30 gp
  • Whetstone - 35 gp
  • Wine - 25 gp
  • Torch - 5 gp
  • Food - 15 gp
Gold Spent: 535

Name: Incom Morgan
Equipment:
  • Staff of the Archmagi (Runic - Fire) (+5 Spell Points) - 120 gp
  • Elven Bow - 95 gp
  • Mage’s Hat (+1 Spell Points) - 60 gp
  • Mithril Chain - 75 gp
  • Mage’s robes (+3 Spell Points) - 90 gp
  • Magic Rings (+1 Spell Points) - 45 gp
  • Pegasus Boots - 60 gp
  • Flame Arrows - 35 gp
  • String - 45 gp
  • Wine - 25 gp
  • Food - 15 gp
Gold Spent: 665
Spells:
  • Level 1 Spells - Uses 1 Spell Point
    • Eagle-Eye (Specialist)
    • Icicle (Specialist)
    • Shield (Specialist)
    • Magic Missile
    • Fireball
  • Level 2 Spells - Uses 2 Spell Points
    • Haste (Specialist)
    • Jolt (Specialist)
    • Darkness (Specialist)
    • Combust
    • Icy Ground
  • Level 3 Spells - Uses 3 Spell Points
    • Lightning Sphere (specialist)
    • Flare (Specialist)
    • Adrenaline(Specialist)
    • Crush
    • Stoneskin

Short History
Several years ago, the Mage Incom Morgan, freshly graduated from the Mage academy at one of the prestigious academies, came upon the warrior Bakan. The warrior was involved in a heated battle against orcs, and while possessing much greater skill, fell to their numbers before Incom Morgan was able to drive them away. In attempting to treat him, Incom Morgan used a ancient technique that essentially bound the warrior Bakan to him. This bonding was used frequently by some mages, with the bond giving some telepathic communication, general sense of location, and allowing the mage to boost the warrior's physical stats by channeling energies into them. The technique worked, and Bakan made a full recovery, with the two working together to combat evil.

Last edited by Bakan; 6 Jul 2004 at 04:57.
Bakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2004, 04:50   #27
Wraith[x]
Moo?

I'm there, just waiting for some answers... (and I'm putting off crunching those numbers )
Unread 6 Jul 2004, 05:06   #28
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith[x]
Are the Runic items unique? If so, isn't it a bit unfair that one person shouldbe able to have two of them?

If Runics are unique, and Bakan's not allowed two, I'll have whichever he doesn't use

Thankee
I'm pretty sure they're not unique, seeing most mages have the same staff.
Unread 6 Jul 2004, 05:12   #29
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Quote:
And I was wondering about the fighter/mage question too. I assume fighters do greater damage, have more helath, higher fortitude etc
Classes have been abolished. Didn't they teach you anything?
Apparently fighters can use spells as well and a mage can effortlessly wield a battle axe. It's how you 'see yourself and play' that determines who or what you are.
Unread 6 Jul 2004, 14:33   #30
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunin Hemm
For description and picture of his face and physique, go to Asghan.

Name: Asghan
Class: Melee Fighter
Height: 7'7''
Weight: 316 lb
Equipment:

Weapons:
Grand Sword - 95 gp
Dirk - 40 gp
Autocrossbow - 110 gp
Throwing Knives (8 knives) - 30 gp

Armour:
Mithril Chain - 75 gp
Leather Gauntlets - 5 gp
Boots - 5 gp

Potions:
Elixir (3) - 180 gp

Supplies:
Torch (3) - 15 gp
Food (7) - 105 gp
Water (2) - 20 gp
Wine - 25 gp
Whetstone - 35 gp
String - 45 gp

Ammunition:
Mythril Auto “Clips” - 55 gp

Gold: 390 gp
Subtract 30 gold from your stockpile, and your character is approved (my calculations show it all adds up to 1230 gp. Max is 1200. )
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 6 Jul 2004, 16:38   #31
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt
Hero

Specialised Spells
Level 1
- Eagle Eye
- Fireball

Level 2
- Slow
- Combust
- Flash

Level 3
- Crush
- Explosion
- Flare

Standard Spells
Level 1 - Magic missile
Level 2 - Haste
Level 3 - Adrenaline

Weapon of Choice

Armour and Clothing
Mage’s robes - 80 gp
Magic Rings - 45gp
Dragon Scale Mail - 100gp

Other
Wyvern - 100 gp
1 Bottle of Wine (a fine red cab sav I think ) - 25gp
4 Torches - 20gp

Army

Soldiers - Human

Weapons
- Knight sword
- Dirk

Armour
Note that you cannot wear Heavy class armor together with Special. Medium or Light armor is allowed however (thus you can have leather under robes, or chainmail until plate, etc). Other than that, character is approved. You can, of course, switch between armors (will take 1 DM post to switch, although you will have to be at the Keep to do so).

Armies

50 Autocrossbowmen
Ranged Damage: 14d6
Wounds: 550/550
Equipment: Equipped with Autocrossbows, Knight Swords, Dirks, Mithril Chain Suits, Mithril Chain Coifs, Mithril Chain Gauntlets, & Mithril Chain Grieves

50 Autocrossbowmen
Ranged Damage: 14d6
Wounds: 550/550
Equipment: Equipped with Autocrossbows, Knight Swords, Dirks, Mithril Chain Suits, Mithril Chain Coifs, Mithril Chain Gauntlets, & Mithril Chain Grieves
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 6 Jul 2004, 17:06   #32
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disrupter
Name: Duke
Race: Elf
Class: Wyvern Archer of the Wyvern Clan (specialty is Wyverns; village lives with/worships them)
Starting Gold:400
Gold left after Gear: 0
Gear: Dirk- Flash 40
Yew bow- Hyperion 60
Bronze Helm 25
Chainmail 55
Studded Leather gauntlets 20
Studded Leather boots 25
Buckler 15
Healing potion 1x 20
Oil 20
Normal Arrows 1x 20
Wyvern- Thorowin the Swift Winged (Greenish blue scales, blood red eyes) 100

ooc/ are the bits of history ok? and can i make up the other 4 characters as i need them?
Character approved. History is fine, and yes you can make up the other 4 characters as you need them, however, you cannot use them until you complete them (i.e., they can fight with your main character if they exist at the time, but since they don't . . . ).
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 6 Jul 2004, 18:34   #33
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

ooc: Okie-doke. Changed stats here.

Hero

Specialised Spells
Level 1
- Eagle Eye
- Fireball

Level 2
- Slow
- Combust
- Flash

Level 3
- Crush
- Explosion
- Flare

Standard Spells
Level 1 - Magic missile
Level 2 - Haste
Level 3 - Adrenaline

Weapon of Choice

Armour and Clothing
Mage’s robes - 80 gp
Magic Rings - 45gp
Mithril Chainmail suit - 75gp

Other
Wyvern - 100 gp
2 Bottles of Wine (a fine red cab sav I think ) - 50gp
4 Torches - 20gp

Army

Soldiers - Human

Weapons
- Knight sword
- Dirk

Armour

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 6 Jul 2004, 19:24   #34
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Quote:

Thankee
Runics are not unique. Therefore, despite the descriptions RPers are allowed to have as many as they can afford, even multiple copies of the same weapon (although I would hope you'd have a good explanation as to why you managed to find two of the same rare item ).
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 6 Jul 2004, 19:30   #35
No Dachi

I'll buy a Torch as well

Unread 6 Jul 2004, 19:33   #36
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Dachi
Characters
No Dachi (secondary)
Takata Matsumori (primary)
Sugimoto Kiyoshi (tertiary)

Stats, No Dachi (400 + 2*200 = 800 GP to spend)
Name: No Dachi
Class: Kensai ('Sword Saint')
Equipment: Kensai Katana (105 gp)
Wakizashi (45 GP)
Samurai Helm (45 GP)
Samurai Armour (75 GP)
Samurai Gauntlets (40 GP)
Samurai Greaves (45 GP)
4*Water of Life (160 GP)
2*Whetstone (35 GP)
4*Food (60 GP)
4*Water (40 GP)
1*Torch(5 GP)
100 Samurai (150 GP)

Stats: Matsumori
Name: Takata Matsumori
Class: Samurai
Equipment: Masamune (75 GP)
Samurai Helm (45 GP)
Samurai Armour (75 GP)

Stats: Kiyoshi
Name: Sugimoto Kiyoshi
Class: Sohei (Warrior Monk)
Equipment: Samurai Armour (75 GP)
Naginata (65 GP)
Yew Bow (60 GP)

---

Histories coming later.
There's all your equipment, as ordered. Characters approved, btw.
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 6 Jul 2004, 19:42   #37
No Dachi

I have 5GP. I'm ordering a Torch for 5 GP. I get my Torch

Unread 6 Jul 2004, 20:24   #38
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetkiller II
Rhea (Golem)
Level 1
Magic Missile
Shield – Specialist
Fireball – Specialist
Rock - Specialist

Level 2
Haste – Specialist
Slow
Combust – Specialist
Stalactite – Specialist

Level 3
Teleport
Explosion – Specialist
Stoneskin – Specialist
Flare – Specialist

Warhammer
Dragon Skull Helmet
Dragon Scale Mail
Dragon Scale Gauntlets
Dragon Scale Grieves
40gp spent on ‘General Golemness’, i.e. being strong, tough, huge and fairly dumb.

395gp

Warder (Human)

4 Torch
Food
3 Water
Whetstone
String
Oil
Padded Armor
Leather
Leather Shin Guards
Ranger Sword

225gp

Gabriel (Elf)

Level 1
Magic Missile
Eagle-Eye – Specialist
Fireball – Specialist
Dazzle – Specialist

Level 2
Haste
Fly – Specialist
Combust –Specialist
Flash – Specialist

Level 3
Adrenaline
Explosion – Specialist
Whirlwind – Specialist
Flare – Specialist

Autocrossbow (6 shots)
Wyvern
Padded Armor
Leather
Leather Shin Guards

290gp

Nosnoré (Elf)

Level 1
Shield
Eagle-Eye – Specialist
Icicle – Specialist
Shadow Strike – Specialist

Level 2
Slow
Fly – Specialist
Icy Ground –Specialist
Darkness – Specialist

Level 3
Invisible
Ice Wall – Specialist
Whirlwind – Specialist
Shades – Specialist

Autocrossbow (6 shots)
Wyvern
Padded Armor
Leather
Leather Shin Guards

290gp

0gp

Descriptions still to come...
Looks good so far, waitting to read the descriptions. Characters approved.
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 6 Jul 2004, 20:39   #39
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyboy
Name: Conan
Race: Humanish
Class: Barbarian Slayer Dude
Money: 800 (2 NPC's sacrificed)

Equipment:
- Ravenwing (Primary Weapon) - 135gp
- Dwarven Axe (Secondary Weapon) - 100gp
- Kris Blade - 65gp
- Dragon Skull Helm - 75gp
- Mithril Chain - 75gp
- Dragon Scale Mail - 100gp
- Healing Potions - 20 gp
- Water of Life - 40gp
- 2x Elixir - 120gp
- Armoured Warhorse - 75gp

Total: 805 (5gp taken from the money of one NPC if that's ok Mr Inspectre dude)

Name: Brian
Race: Human Barbarian
Class: Slayer
Money: 200gp

Equipment:
- Highlander Sword - 70gp
- Mithril Chain - 75gp
- Mithril Chain Choif - 50gp
- 1 Torch - 5gp

Name: Marvin
Money: 195gp

Equipment:
- Mage's Staff - 55gp
- Mage's Robes - 90gp
- Naptha Jars (2) - 50gp

Spells:

Specilised:
- Shadow Stirke (lvl 1)
- Flare (lvl 3)
Characters approved. You were actually 5 gp short, so I gave a torch to the 1st secondary character dude.
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 6 Jul 2004, 22:33   #40
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

Im gonna edit my character in my original post if thats ok

*slits throat of NPC*

200 more gold

All i did was change all armor to Dragon and buy more normal arrows.
(everything should check out.)

Last edited by Disrupter; 6 Jul 2004 at 23:13.
Disrupter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2004, 22:35   #41
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

Working on characters...
Unread 6 Jul 2004, 23:49   #42
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Quote:
I'll join, but I have some remarks/questions:

- The first one is the setting of the thread. Will we only play defending this fort, or do we also go to other places and travel a lot?
- What special(s) does the Mage's Staff with lightning runes have?
- I take it that +1 spell point means +1 spell slot? If not I'm not sure how spells, spellslots and spellpoints work.
- You haven't put any damages on the weapons
- Am I correct to understand that you either play with 1 main character and 4 secondary characters or you play with 1 maincharacter and an army, but not both (main chracter, secondary character and army)?
- Do I have to pay for my army with the money that I would otherwise spend on my secondary characters?
- Can I play primary and secondary characters simultaneously or does the primary need to bekilled before I can control a secondary character?
- What is the benefit of having a fighter when I can also create a mage, give him the equipment and appearance of a warrior and be able to use spells.
- Stalactite spell, that should be stalacmite (tites are hanging from the ceiling, mites are coming from the ground). [/pedant]
1) The thread starts in a tavern, and then quickly moves to the fort. After that, you aren't going anywhere else, except as part of an orc slave convoy.

2) A mage's staff has Lightning Runes, which give it no other benefits other than the fact that it has Runic magic for its wielder to use - the equivalent of 3 spell slots worth per day, but only for those spells that match the element of the runes. For which spells correspond to which element, see the Help Files.

3) Spell slots = Spell points. Spells take up a varying amount of spell slots, based on the level of the spell (Level 3 spells use 3 spell slots, Level 1 spells use 1, etc).

4) That’s because damage is relative. You can cleave an orc in two with a battle axe, but you can also saw his head off with a dagger. Either way, he is dead, and if you do a good job of posting, that’s what happens.

5) No you are not. You are given 1200 gold to play with, basically. You have 5 ways to split that money up, although you can elect to not bring along a number of minor characters in order to give your other characters more money. Whatever you do with that money is your business: and that includes buying armies. In fact, one of the better ways to use your minor characters might be to place them in command of your armies.

6) See above

7) You can control them all simultaneously, however, your main character has the best chance of pulling off whatever you want him/her to do. Until you take actual control of a minor character, thus making him your “main” character, they will do what you tell them to, just not as well as the designed main character. Clear?

8) Image, mostly. I intend on adding class skills back into the next rendition of Heros, but for now your mostly just stuck with playing fighter, mage, or some combination thereof.

9) I was wondering about that. I always thought that stalagmites where the ones that hung from the ceiling, since the point hangs down in the letter “m”. Oh well.

Quote:
1) To some degree, yes, I’m more likely to let a fighter smash through an entire rank of orc through brute force, while I would prefer for a fighter/mage combo to use some manner of spell to help his/her chances for success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disrupter
i have my own question....
can i respend money on my one guy, or am i allowed to make more as i need them?
You are allowed to respend money on your one guy, until the point when you’re actually within the Fort. Once there, you’re stuck with what you got, short of salvaging something from the battlefield. Also, if you say that your x number of minor characters are there, then they are there, but again, once inside the fort you can’t change your mind. Nor can you control them until they come into existence, naturally.

Quote:
Another question: many 'mage items' do not offer protection. Is it possible for a mage to choose (and pay for) multiple items in this class? E.g. wearing chainmail under or over his robe, or wearing rings under or over his gloves?

A suggestion: for most spells it is obvious to which element they belong, but in the light of runic items, it might be helpful to specifically mention with each spell, to what elemtent it belongs?

A complaint: I cannot finish my character(s) without the answers to all of my questions. Therefore it seems unreasonable to me that you maintain Monday's deadline.
1) The “mage items” do not offer much protection because they increase offer a mage an increase in magical power. However, some armor can be stacked: in this case, one of either heavy/special can be worn, and then one from the medium/light classes can be worn under it.

2) I will post the elements and which spells belong to them in the help files shortly.

3) Deal with it. Especially since it’s past Monday now.
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 6 Jul 2004, 23:56   #43
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Quote:
yes, Phang also is in, with the promise of edits on the horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffie
Fluffie is in. Somehow, somewhere.
Oi! Get to work, you two lazy bums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffie
Working on characters...
Uh huh . . . . I've heard this before . . .

Starts counting down the days to when Fluffie will be a prisoner . . .
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 00:15   #44
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
name: Nibimacarion
race: elf
class: warrior
equipment: 1200 gold to spend, 1185 spent
Kensai -105gp
dragoon -85gp
dragon skull helmet -75gp
dragon scale mail armor -100gp
dragon scale gauntlets -50gp
dragon scale grieves -65gp
dragon shield -75gp
Wyvern -100gp
2 jars of Naptha -50gp
2x whetstone -70gp
5x water -50gp
5x food -75gp
2x speed potion -90gp
4x healing potion -80gp
1x royal guards, 50 troops, standard equipment -115gp
Character approved. Sure you don't want to spend that left-over 15 gold on something like a couple of torches for item salvaging at night?
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 00:20   #45
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Quote:
Name: Lothax
Class: Battle Mage (male)

Racial Information: The Yahtgy are an elusive and mysterious people. Without exception, they have always been known to favour 'the good cause'. They are rarely seen in this world, but it is said that when you do see one, you'd better pack your things and run a long way, because disaster is rapidly coming your way as it is believed that the Yahtgy will only walk the earth when it is in grave danger.
In appearance, the Yahtgy resemble ordinary humans with the difference that their eyes are always magenta coloured and like Elves they're usually much older than they look. Another distinct feature of the Yahtgy can be found in battle; Yahtgy are powerful mages, but unlike their human counterparts, they fight with 2 staves (one in each hand). The staves themselves are usually imbued with magical properties to amplify the Yahtgy's magical powers.

History: When it became clear to the Yahtgy that a great evil had once more befallen the world and that it needed a Yahtgy mage to restore its balance, Lothax was elected by the Yahtgy's Supreme Council to do just that. Although it was customary that this election would be perceived as an honour among Yahtgy, Lothax didn't see it that way. He had been sent into the world once before and he had not liked it. He had seen and experienced the worst of what orcs, goblins, but also humans and elves and what other creatures lived there were capable of. Besides, he liked his job as a teacher at the Yahtgy Academy and wasn't very eager with his assignment. His appearance was that of a man at the final stages of life. His long hair was white, but often looked like silver whenever it reflected sun- or moonlight. It was only in appearance though that Lothax resembled an old man, for he was still as nimble and quick, if not quicker than most middle aged humans and his mind was as strong as ever.

Equipment:
- 2x Food (2x food for 1 day) 2x15 = 30 gp
- 2x Water (2x water for 1 day) (this includes a waterskin) 2x10 = 20 gp
- 2x Torch (used to search one area at night for salvage) 2x5 = 10 gp

Spells:

* Fireball (SPECIALIST)
* Rock (SPECIALIST)
* Magic Missile
* Camouflage
* Shield
* Icicle
* Shock

* Sicken (SPECIALIST)
* Haste (SPECIALIST)
* Icy Ground (SPECIALIST)
* Stalagmite
* Jolt

* Crush (SPECIALIST)
* Explosion (SPECIALIST)
* Ice Wall (SPECIALIST)
* Stoneskin
* Lightning Sphere

=================================

Name: Veruna
Class: Battle Mage Apprentice (female)

History: Veruna had been Lothax's apprentice for quite a number of years when he was elected to be sent into the world, so she had been allowed to come with him. Unlike Lothax, Verona had never been there before and was therefore quite eager to go. Veruna was taller than most women and despite her real age, she didn't look a day over 23. Along with her long brown hair and somewhat tanned skin, she was a sight that most men failed to take their eyes off.

Equipment:
Spells:

* Eagle-Eye (SPECIALIST)
* Shadow Strike (SPECIALIST)
* Magic Missile
* Camouflage
* Shield
* Rock
* Gust

* Fly (SPECIALIST)
* Rising Breeze (SPECIALIST)
* Jolt (SPECIALIST)
* Combust
* Flash

* Invisible (SPECIALIST)
* Whirlwind (SPECIALIST)
* Shades (SPECIALIST)
* Icewall
* Stoneskin
Gandalf-clone approved. :gollum:
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 00:24   #46
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspectre
2) A mage's staff has Lightning Runes, which give it no other benefits other than the fact that it has Runic magic for its wielder to use - the equivalent of 3 spell slots worth per day, but only for those spells that match the element of the runes. For which spells correspond to which element, see the Help Files.
You might as well edit the spells file and add it there. It'd be more convenient because you have all the info together and less work because you only need to type 1 or 2 extra words for each spell.

Quote:
9) I was wondering about that. I always thought that stalagmites where the ones that hung from the ceiling, since the point hangs down in the letter “m”. Oh well.
Well, I remember it by noticing that "stalagtites" contain the 3 letter word "tit" and they (usually) hang down.

Quote:
3) Deal with it. Especially since it’s past Monday now.
Exactly! And I dealt with it yesterday. My characters are in post #25 of this thread (yes that's right, it's the one you conveniently skipped while approving our characters).
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 00:25   #47
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakan
Name: Bakan
Class: Mage Defender
Equipment:
  • Dragon Skull Helmet - 75 gp
  • Dragon Scale Mail - 100 gp
  • Dragon Scale Gauntlets - 50 gp
  • Dragon Scale Grieves - 65 gp
  • Ravenwing (Runic - Shadow) - 135 gp
  • Throwing Knives (8 knives) - 30 gp
  • Whetstone - 35 gp
  • Wine - 25 gp
  • Torch - 5 gp
  • Food - 15 gp
Gold Spent: 535

Name: Incom Morgan
Equipment:
  • Staff of the Archmagi (Runic - Fire) (+5 Spell Points) - 120 gp
  • Elven Bow - 95 gp
  • Mage’s Hat (+1 Spell Points) - 60 gp
  • Mithril Chain - 75 gp
  • Mage’s robes (+3 Spell Points) - 90 gp
  • Magic Rings (+1 Spell Points) - 45 gp
  • Pegasus Boots - 60 gp
  • Flame Arrows - 35 gp
  • String - 45 gp
  • Wine - 25 gp
  • Food - 15 gp
Gold Spent: 665
Spells:
  • Level 1 Spells - Uses 1 Spell Point
    • Eagle-Eye (Specialist)
    • Icicle (Specialist)
    • Shield (Specialist)
    • Magic Missile
    • Fireball
  • Level 2 Spells - Uses 2 Spell Points
    • Haste (Specialist)
    • Jolt (Specialist)
    • Darkness (Specialist)
    • Combust
    • Icy Ground
  • Level 3 Spells - Uses 3 Spell Points
    • Lightning Sphere (specialist)
    • Flare (Specialist)
    • Adrenaline(Specialist)
    • Crush
    • Stoneskin

Short History
Several years ago, the Mage Incom Morgan, freshly graduated from the Mage academy at one of the prestigious academies, came upon the warrior Bakan. The warrior was involved in a heated battle against orcs, and while possessing much greater skill, fell to their numbers before Incom Morgan was able to drive them away. In attempting to treat him, Incom Morgan used a ancient technique that essentially bound the warrior Bakan to him. This bonding was used frequently by some mages, with the bond giving some telepathic communication, general sense of location, and allowing the mage to boost the warrior's physical stats by channeling energies into them. The technique worked, and Bakan made a full recovery, with the two working together to combat evil.
Character approved.
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 00:29   #48
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Wraith[x]

Have I answered all of your questions to your satisfaction? You had better hope so, because time is running out to make a character . . . .

Ur_Quan

Just shut up you. And see post #45 for my response to your latest b*tching. Yeah, that's right, who's the dummy now!!?
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 00:30   #49
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Couldn't you have waited 4 minutes and several seconds before approving my character? At least then it looked like you feared my wrath or something and quickly approved of my character instead of making me look like a dork by sneakily posting right before I did.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 00:31   #50
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Quote:
Ur_Quan

Just shut up you. And see post #45 for my response to your latest b*tching. Yeah, that's right, who's the dummy now!!?
You just did it again.