Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying

Closed Thread
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 02:29   #1
Wraith[x]
Moo?

Wraith[x] is an unknown quantity at this point
DM Advice

I've been here a long time (some would say too long) but I've never made a thread, other than a couple of arena/bar style threads. I have some good ideas (at least I think they're good...) but I'm rather daunted by the task of turning those ideas into a thread. What is the process you DMs go through? Do you sit and type, like a story, how you see the action going? Do you make like a brainstorm of situations you want in it? Or do you just put up a first post and play it by ear? Or is it something else entirely...
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 03:18   #2
adam
The Oldbie Newbie

adam has a spectacular aura aboutadam has a spectacular aura about
Re: DM Advice

DM STEP I TAKE
1. get an idea, doesnt really matter what it is
2. begin thinking of a story while I do other things I.E play video games, attempt math homework etc etc
3. Work upon the story and write it out on notepad, wordpad microsoft word etc etc etc
4. think up some crazy little way the characters fit into your story
5.and if it stats base make stats and rules set for the stats
6. before step three advertise on the forum.... or your wasting your time

voila a porly thrown together thread

the longer you plan the better

Wizards First Rule- People Are Stupid
Quoted by the first Wizard Zorrander

Defender of the RP forums against the GD invasion September the 19th 2003
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 03:47   #3
Muha
The Port Royale

Muha will become famous soon enoughMuha will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam
DM STEP I TAKE
1. get an idea, doesnt really matter what it is
2. begin thinking of a story while I do other things I.E play video games, attempt math homework etc etc
3. Work upon the story and write it out on notepad, wordpad microsoft word etc etc etc
4. think up some crazy little way the characters fit into your story
5.and if it stats base make stats and rules set for the stats
6. before step three advertise on the forum.... or your wasting your time

voila a porly thrown together thread

the longer you plan the better

While this is actually a good step by step process, i have to disregard it and tell everyone not to use it..

Why?, you may ask

Because adam said it
[16:45] <Ur_Quan> brains?? am i missing something??
(13:17:44) (+PyRo`) Muha is a genius <3
(02:51:02) • +Siv|Risk bows before the overwhelming knowledge of Muha
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 04:25   #4
Insane. Badger
Baby Eating Capitalist

Insane. Badger can only hope to improve

ND's Method

1. Get a good idea
2. Develop good idea
3. Get everyone excited and start a thread
4. Abandon it a week later
5. Rinse and repeat
I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. - Benjamin Franklin
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 04:28   #5
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

AcidK has a spectacular aura aboutAcidK has a spectacular aura about

I may add to that list, Adam:

Here's how I create my threads -

1. Firstly, start off thinking what theme you want your thread (ie, you want it sci-fi, fantasy, space-wars, mage wars, etc)
2. Think of a storyline or a general background. These are usually built up over days from your own imagination (ie, when you have a random thought).
3. Begin to plot out an NPC plan. These are the main characters the DM will be using throughout the RPG, for example they could be the shop keepers, the people telling you what to do or simply a passer-by whom by chance tells you all you need to know.
4. Once you have the NPCs you'll have a fair idea on how the RPG will go, now it is time to plan how the players would fit into the storyline or what role they'll be taking on once it begins. Make sure they're not buckled up for the ride and that they are free-flow roleplaying. A bad RPG is one where the DM does most of it for the Roleplayers.
5. Advertise and open the RPG, get the player count to a certain level before you begin and make sure you don't wait too long otherwise the RPG will never begin. If it doesn't, shrug it off and replan it and open it again (hopefully with better results).
6. A roleplayer can do anything in an RPG, so it is best to have an open mind of what is most likely to happen during events. For example, a roleplayer might decide to desert and hide in the shadows when you planned him to stay in the light. Never plot an entire 'situation' board of events, only plot out one or two steps ahead for as many situations as possible.
Demand to see life's manager.
Make life rue the day it thought it could give me lemons.
Do you know who I am?
I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down!
With the lemons.
I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 04:39   #6
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

dragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to all

Advertising on IRC helps...well it did me. (7/8 RPers in my first DMed thread included 1/2 (pending) I recuited to the forums )

* tiger uses the ultimate way in, trough the water pipes
* Shadowhawk idly points out that this is #rpgal, the pipes are probably blocked from all the bs that you come up with.
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 07:41   #7
Darkling
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Darkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to behold

The way I Dm is by creative writting, Im not sure how others do it but my replies are more autmoaticly the combinations of dieas following along a basic plotline to an ultimate ened. This can lead to the rise of good Dm posts or bad one's tbut thats one way you may wish to try it since I really dont consider myself a good roleplayer or good Dm i can not really pas on a lot of advice. Although dont be afraid to experiment if it goes wrong try a diffrent aproach.
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 12:44   #8
Zappa Tenderlea
Grote Boze Rocker

Zappa Tenderlea is infamous around these partsZappa Tenderlea is infamous around these parts

the way I dm takes a few years of preparing, hence the fact that I have not started any threads on these boards... still working on a fantasy story I started 3 years ago for a tabletop adventure, the pen and paper kinda roleplay. almost finnished with it tough, kinda included about every possible action and character I could think of at any time in the story... got me about 50 different endings and hundreds of ways to get there... but am to damned sick and tired of the story to DM or play it now...

*sigh*

I have but one wish: to see you all rot in hell before I trade this life for eternity

The truth can't hurt you, it's just like the dark, it scares you wittless, but in time you see things clear and stark
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 12:47   #9
No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane. Badger
ND's Method

1. Get a good idea
2. Develop good idea
3. Get everyone excited and start a thread
4. Abandon it a week later
5. Rinse and repeat
Silence, you

ND's Proper Method
1. Get a good idea. You generally don't have to actually think 'what can I make a thread out of?'; the best ideas come to you suddenly.
2. Ensure that the idea has something new and fresh about it. For example, at the moment, making a thread where RPers fly starships around is a bad idea, since we already have several. You're aiming to provide something different for the RPers to post in.
3. Develop the idea. Have the basic outline of your plot reasoned out, begin thinking of characters/setting details for it. I quite frequently follow a loose plot-line and just make up the details as I go along.
4. Post a setup thread, or don't; it's entirely up to you. If you do then make sure that you don't just post 'I'm thinking about making a thread where RPers hunt dragons'. In order for RPers to be interested they need a few details to hold on to.
5. When you're satisfied that you have the basic plot in place along with the major NPC characters and setting features, post the thread and let the RPers sign up. Look at their characters closely and see about weaving the interesting ones into the storyline more closely.

I can't escape the feeling that I've forgotten something obvious and important :/
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 13:27   #10
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

'Abandon a week later'
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 13:48   #11
No Dachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
'Abandon a week later'
You can be silent as well.

Unread 31 Dec 2003, 14:07   #12
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Dachi
You can be silent as well.
like you in your threads after about a week

ZING!
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 15:03   #13
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

Quiet, you
Do you know who I am?
With the lemons.
I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 15:44   #14
Wraith[x]
Moo?

Quote:
ZING!
What's a Skeletor?
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 16:43   #15
Insane. Badger
Baby Eating Capitalist

Insane. Badger can only hope to improve

Quote:

ZING!
phang is hereby forgiven for all his commie scum ways.
I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. - Benjamin Franklin
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 20:26   #16
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

hmm, i normally start by making a general plot, basically the start and the ending, leaving the center part open for the RPers.
Then i make the basic NPCs (shopkeepers, innholders and anybody else that I need the RPers to come across in the story).
next, i make the stats for anything that needs stats.
then i put it up on the boards and wait for the RPers to arrive.

this way, there is only the basic outline of a story and it can develop in many different ways, tough unless the ending is for some reason very farfetched, i try to steer the RPers towards the end part of the thread (normally involving a big fight, since big fights are good incentives for ending the thread by killing/capturing the big bad guy). In the middle of the thread, it depends on the RPers what happens, which can mean an RPer could go straight for solving/finding the problem(s), to wandering about the world for several months before even getting a hint of what is going on.
I prefer something in between those 2, because a short RP is just plain to short and a very long stretched out RP gets boring at some time

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 20:30   #17
Wo2
The Janitor!

Wo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to behold

Muha way:

1. Make a comment about hating Adam.
2. Repeat

Sorry couldn't help my self. Well anyway I couldn't help anyone about DM'ing seeing as most my threads are Open threads. (Aka. DM yerself threads)
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 21:10   #18
Darkling
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Darkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to behold

Ive come up with some more thoughts upon DM a trhead successfully. Firslty there is a matter of balance, if you for example have a thread where multiply characters are interacting or wokring togethor its normally usfeul to make sure that none of the their skills are to much alike. This leads to a problem with that if there is an obstacle in the way that requires a certain skill that three have for example, which one do let do it, is the most obvious question that comes to mind. Normally this would be worked out by number of factors based on experience, skill, their qaulity of posts to their activity levels. it is poinltess giving a task to somone who rarly is on when it will end up delaying the others possibliy driving people away from your thread due to its inactivity.

working on the multpy skills alike as stated in the previous pargraph it can lead to over specalication. This causes problems of its own in that it limits the possible challenges you can put forward for them, as well as give rise to a repetative nature about the posts.

Working onto another point your own activity levels matter as well, I wont name anyone since that would be a rather underhanded and devious thing for me to do. How active your reply is determined by numerous factors most out of your control, you can only do your best to deal with them. Basicly summarised you could be delayed via problems coherent with the normal workings of the real world, to problems with the activity of the rpiers that you have present within your threads, and the list can go at great length the most seeming obivous, even to the most dubiant of indervidual so i shall not mention anymore.

Another point that I feel is important when you are acting as a dm is the responcibilty you hold in the thread, it is you duty to guide them to its ultimate end to see your creation finished. whether you have set out a rough guideline to follow as far a story is conserned or plotted out a series of set events to fully uterlize the capabilites of each roleplayer present. The last mentioned comment has the advantage of allowing you to involve everyone, so it not just few key players who seem to be basking in the glory so to say. This said it can vary a lot between the style of thread, there is no set standard as to how a medieval/fantasy thread should be nor is there one for future thread and the list goes on.

Concerning stats on personell note I cannot function propely them, I preffer creating a series words which turn to sentancs, whihc turn to paragraphs, Wokring out numbers is not my idea of fun. That saying I have given it a try within other peoples threads' with little succes, but I am not everyone so some people like them some people hate them, without one opnion the other cannot exist it is very nature of life to have such divisions. If you are for stats then my advise would be make them user freindly and summarise them for easy reading, its neve any fun when your trawling through a dm's reply only to be greated by numbers that mean nothing at first glance. An example with me being Lady Hawk's Andromeda thead I dont think ive ever really looked at the numbers since none of them make any sense to me, but rather worked around the conversation replies instead and hoped it turns out for the better for me. Basicly put make it so that you can easly see at a short glance or quick read what the numbers mean to the roleplayers.

Free form seems the most logical matter of topic to discuss now, basicly although the name suggets its free from constrictions, doesnt mean you cna let them doas they please, people being people will make mistakes and posisble end up doing somthing that seems impossibly or unlikely, to inconvient to you. It would be best to mention so if that wher the case and try to resolvle the matter with as little fuss as possible.

reaslism is a key within threads as well, depending upon the realm its set in from sci fi to magic, the realism factor changes accordinly. It can be taken to an extreme where characters have skills that dont fit their image, an example being a fighter raised in the city, and barly even setting foot within nature knowing herboligy. Depsite fact they have said their life has beens epnt training to perfection in art of weaponry there would be no time to study the use herbs and its aplications indepth since that in itself would take years.

At the current moment in time little else comes to mind, but if somthing does I will most likely mention it.
Unread 2 Jan 2004, 13:49   #19
No Dachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane. Badger
phang is hereby forgiven for all his commie scum ways.
Looks like all the world has been united under the banner of ND-bashing.

Unread 2 Jan 2004, 16:59   #20
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

i think you could solve this by fighting a bigger threat...

...adam.
Unread 2 Jan 2004, 17:15   #21
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Inspectre is an unknown quantity at this point

But . . . but . . . adam's no fun. It's like getting together to cooperatively hunt down a crippled deer fawn. Destroying ND, on the other hand, is more like hunting down the bear that is currently rumaging around in your trash can - killing is fun and profitable.
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 2 Jan 2004, 17:20   #22
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Crazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to behold

Kill Kill Kill

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Ghetto Master Ellis says:
Heil Crazy!
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 03:56   #23
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

Or we could go to old roots...

*AcidK pulls out his hunting rifle.*

Badger's on the menu, lads!
Do you know who I am?
With the lemons.
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 12:28   #24
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Crazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to behold

mmm Badger chops.

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Ghetto Master Ellis says:
Heil Crazy!
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 13:14   #25
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

in mushroom gravy?
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 13:51   #26
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

like, i cba to read all this
well i read phang's superb mockery, that should suffice

anyway
thread
if i would do it
post something
wait for people to join
do what your mind tells you to \o/
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 13:58   #27
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

what if you don't have a mind :s.
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 14:18   #28
Wraith[x]
Moo?

I'm screwed
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 20:32   #29
Wo2
The Janitor!

Wo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to behold

Only now you realize this? Tsk tsk tsk...
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 20:49   #30
Muha
The Port Royale

lets all united against ND, Badger AND adam

the G.H.G.F.ND.B.A

Global Hatred Group For ND, Badger and Adam

!!!!!!!

Amass the armys people

:smith: :smith: :smith: :smith:
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 21:26   #31
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

i say we all team up against Muha :\
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 21:33   #32
Wraith[x]
Moo?

I say we all team up against JBoy
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 21:38   #33
Muha
The Port Royale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffie
i say we all team up against Muha :\

My ostrich eating hamsters will massacre you and your pitiful fluffyness

FEAR ME
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 21:41   #34
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

JBOY sounds good. It'd be like GD except we only pretend to take the piss out of him, and he doesn't read it anyway
Unread 5 Jan 2004, 18:29   #35
Wo2
The Janitor!

I don't know. Ganing up on people isn't very fun. Fun is: Building a deathray out of underwear, socks you got on Christmass, old hardrive parts, and belly button lint. Even better is when your death ray fires.

*Wo2 gets a evil glint in his eyes and runs off to steal peoples belly button lint.*
Unread 6 Jan 2004, 14:01   #36
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

amass an army? Me? Hah! I'm a hired hand, I'd support any side if I was paid well enough
Do you know who I am?
With the lemons.
Unread 6 Jan 2004, 18:07   #37
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

as in a :Frodo: hired hand?
Unread 6 Jan 2004, 18:20   #38
Zappa Tenderlea
Grote Boze Rocker

Zappa Tenderlea is infamous around these partsZappa Tenderlea is infamous around these parts
no, as in a :gollum: greedy little b*st*rd :P

I have but one wish: to see you all rot in hell before I trade this life for eternity

The truth can't hurt you, it's just like the dark, it scares you wittless, but in time you see things clear and stark
Closed Thread