Unread 16 Jul 2004, 01:47   #51
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Lakhim is on a distinguished road
Re: Planet Wars: Redux - Intrest thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer-of-Lawye
Yeah. You;ll be the death of me I'm sure. *sigh*

Yeah, those darn pinko-commie anarchists make really good fighters.
Know how I said I would be event DMing today? Well I was lying and instead decided to take the social life option. You'll get your DMings tomorrow, event-tually. Hohoho.
Lakhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 10:06   #52
Flaag
I have returned! (again)

Flaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyboy
System [9] - Low Reach
SULPHOS: Volcanic World, Medium, 1 moon, no commodity (OPEN)
Government: Despotic (A-L Scale: 8)
Information: Sulphos was nicknamed "the Hell World" by the unfortunate Russian exploration teams given the task of settling it, and this name is if anything more true today. The planet was still ruled by a frontier arrangement after the war, and its population exploded with an influx of refugees. Sulphos was over-settled, and resources were stretched. In the mass discontent that followed, a military general stages a coup and siezed control of the colony. Unlike other worlds whose government came about in this way, such as Freiland, this general's first action was to have the other senior-ranking officers in the army executed, the lower ranks being almost completely supportive of him. Following two years of purges, the planet is now a firm dictatorship. An efficient secret police system roots out suspected dissidents with ease, these suspects are almost always executed without trial. The self-styled Emperor of Sulphos' rule is absolute. The military is fanatically loyal to him, and under massive indoctrination and propaganda efforts, the populace is beginning to lose its identity, instead embracing their totalitarian ruler with entire dedication. Sulphosan attempts at outward expansion into the rest of the system have been thus far blocked by New Sparta, though it is perhaps only a matter of time before it manages to break out, given the resources of this mineral-rich world at the tyrant's dispoal.
hmmm... total control by government, good resources, and at least 1 close potential enemy... I'll have this one
Flaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 11:05   #53
Insane. Badger
Baby Eating Capitalist

Insane. Badger can only hope to improve

awwww, you've nerfed the gas planets
I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. - Benjamin Franklin
Insane. Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 11:17   #54
No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts

Yes we did. Nerfed them good.
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville
No Dachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 11:20   #55
No Dachi

Quote:
And for all yours benefits the P and base RM rates for al the planets.

Barren: 600P 50Rm
Ice: 3,000P 125RM
Rock: 3,000P 800RM
Earth: 6,000P 400RM
Mars: 2,000P 600RM
Gas: 2,000P 450RM
Jungle: 4,500P 250RM
Swamp: 4,000P 750RM
Desert: 3,000P 500RM
Volcanic: 2,000P 750RM
Ocean: 5,500P 300RM
Woah, woah, first time I read this; when did we agree on those RM rates? Swamp Worlds here are like the second most resource-rich planet type...

All
Base RM Rates may change after dicussion with Crazy...

Unread 16 Jul 2004, 11:29   #56
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Crazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to behold

Typo dude. Typo.

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Ghetto Master Ellis says:
Heil Crazy!
Crazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 11:38   #57
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Crazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to behold

All fixed

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 14:52   #58
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
System [3] - Karlak
TEIAN POINT Rocky World, Tiny, 2 moons, low-profit commodity (OPEN)
Government: Frontier (A-L Scale N/A)
Information: Tel-An-Point was uninhabited throughout the war save for a minor United Atlantic Alliance military base during the war, which was abandoned at its end, with its crew disbanding and seeking fortune on Elyssium. The planet has recently been colonised by an independent League-supported effort to relieve growing population pressure on a number of worlds with limited resources. Its government is currently in Frontier mode, and the planet has yet to show any sign of leaning toward a specific government type. The planet, currently comprising a mix of first-generation migrants and without any perceptible separate culture or government, will have to work hard to find itself a sense of identity in the future. However, with the planet being rich in resources (if small), and also a source of Semi-Rare Ore ((a broad commodity type covering a variety of metals)), it has the potential to become very influtential planet in the hands of a good ruler.
Say howdy to your new neighbour

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 15:14   #59
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Ruin my plans of universal domination why don't you

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 16:02   #60
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

I aim to please.

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 16:08   #61
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

I'll have to kill you now you know?

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 16:15   #62
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Oh... I thought it was the other way around...

Allies?

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 16:39   #63
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

If you pay me tribute

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 16:42   #64
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 16:45   #65
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

I take it that's a "Yes oh Grand Master of the Universe"

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 16:53   #66
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

HEH

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 17:44   #67
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

Disrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to all

I call Stygis
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 20:12   #68
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

'lo and behold! A Map!

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 20:55   #69
No Dachi

MAP KEY

The Coloured Dots...
...Represent star systems. The colour of the dot denotes the colour of the system's star. The ring around the dot denotes who controls it. At the start of the thread there are only two ring colours:

Blue (systems under League administration)
Grey (systems that are either divided between two or more planets at peace, systems that are uncolonised, systems that are under the control of a minor planet not aligned to a major alliance or other organisation)

Over time, once you all pick colours to represent your empires (not black or dark grey, for all you aspiring despots, because neither of these will show up properly against the background) you will find yourselves in control of whole systems, which will then be coloured in with your own personal imperial colours.

Scarlet red will represent systems contested by hostile powers. At the start of the thread, there are no such systems, but I don't expect this to last.

The size of the coloured dot represents the size of the system. Small, 1-4 planet systems show as small; medium, 5-8 planet systems as middle sized; large, 9-13 planet systems as large. A large system's name is always in CAPS which will help to distinguish it from medium systems pretending to be large systems.

The Coloured Lines...
These are Trade Lanes, routes between systems confirmed as clear of navigational hazards by the League Navigational Commission. Basically, all trading vessels run along these lines.

-A solid line represents a well-used Hyperspace Lane that the major hauling companies trade along.
-A broken line represents a less frequently used Trade Lane of the sort that only small-time one-ship haulers will usually make travel along.

The colour of the line represents its security level.

-A blue line is a guarded Trade Lane.
-A white line is an unguarded Trade Lane.
-A red line is an unguarded Trade Lane along which attacks by pirates are frequent.

This is not to say that every ship travelling along a red line will be attacked, nor is it to say that there will be no attacks along the guarded Lanes (pirates frequently take the view that guarded Lanes are full of fat, lumbering merchantment completely incapable of defending themselves without warships). As a general rule, however, a ship travelling along a blue line will be safer than one travelling along a red line.

The Labels...
...Are in the colour of the power that controls the system. This is how to distinguish between an uninhabited system and one that is merely under the control of a minor power or peacefully contested.

-An uninhabited system's name shows up white.
-An inhabited but neutral system's name shows up light grey.

As a general rule, uninhabited systems don't have names, just registration numbers. The League Exploration Commission's ruling is that you may name a system after you put the first colony on it. Some uninhabited systems do have names, these are systems that used to house colonies that have since been destroyed utterly or abandoned. An example of this is Vladivostok System in which two of the three colonies were nuked into oblivion by Chinese orbital bombardment and the remaining third was damaged to the point where it was evacuated completely by the League immediately after the war's end.

If a system's name is in CAPS, it tells you that the system is a large system (nine to thirteen planets). The one exception to this is SO-OUT which is not a large system but a small one.

Navigational Hazards
There are only two on the map to start with.

-Deep-space asteroid fields are spray painted brown. These can be mined, but they can also play host to bases, possibly of pirates or of your enemies. Manouevreing in them is difficult and they cannot be Hyperspaced through.
-The Eastern Cloud Nebula is spray painted purple. The Eastern Cloud Nebula has the effect of blocking sensor and communication waves, and has thus far proved impassable. The League Navigation Commission classes it as a Grade 3 Navigational Hazard.

Unread 16 Jul 2004, 21:30   #70
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Nicely done, if I may say so.
Know how I said I would be event DMing today? Well I was lying and instead decided to take the social life option. You'll get your DMings tomorrow, event-tually. Hohoho.
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 21:34   #71
No Dachi

Wouldn't have been possible without Crazy finding that hexagonal grid.

Last edited by No Dachi; 16 Jul 2004 at 21:46.
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 21:36   #72
Planetkiller II
Current HrH Manijjmint

Planetkiller II has a spectacular aura aboutPlanetkiller II has a spectacular aura about

seconded

Horseman of the Psy-Apocalypse - Famine, Psychic Weapons Divison Commander and Tutor of Telenullics at the Academy of Psychics
Planetkiller II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 21:38   #73
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Dachi
Wouldn't have been possibly without Crazy finding that hexagonal grid.

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 21:43   #74
No Dachi

Since I'm a lazy git and I don't want to have to explain everything at once, every day from this day onwards you each get to ask me for a summary of one of your adjacent systems (I'll record these descriptions so as to be able to post them again if asked once the thread starts). If you're having difficulty finding your system, remember that its name is probably abbreviated for the label.

Unread 16 Jul 2004, 21:44   #75
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

Disrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to all

Very nicly done people
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 22:03   #76
Killer-of-Lawye
ensign

Killer-of-Lawye will become famous soon enoughKiller-of-Lawye will become famous soon enough

Ost-S. *Hands dachi a stack of paperwork*
Killer-of-Lawye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 22:46   #77
No Dachi

Ostsonne
A small white star orbitted by just three worlds, Ostsonne is nevertheless an extremely fertile system. Found by the legendary European Federation explorer Hans Grüener. Grüener found a veritable Eden of a system, a medium Earth-type world innermost, with a large Earth-type world next out, and a large Arctic-climatic world farthest out. The European Federation claimed and colonised the innermost two planets in the same year, moving over a hundred thousand people to the system.

When war came, it caught the European Federation unprepared. The system was almost completely undefended when the fleet of the Russian Space Navy's Admiral Volkov appeared on its outer bounds. The Admiral, having anticipated the need to obliterate at least one planet in the process of siezing control of the system, had not brought along enough ground troops to occupy both planets. Instead, he elected to completely destroy the innermost world and occupy the larger, more fertile second world. Distress signals were answered by the US Space Navy's Commodore Joseph and his squadron, which succeded in catching the superior Russian force by surprise while it was in the process of landing troops. After heavy losses on each side, the two forces retreated to opposite sides of the system and started flinging nukes at eachother. Joseph landed two regiments of US Marines who did their best to organise a resistance force. The two sides continued fighting untill the end of the war.

Ostsonne was naturally left devastated. Nuclear detonations had thrown the second planet, Neuland's, climate wildly out of balance, and almost all of the colony's settlements were completely devastated. The innermost world was destroyed utterly by the bombardment, which triggered a gigantic firestorm that completely ruined the planet's climate, transforming it into a scorching desert world. Self-sufficiency was beyond question, and the League took control of the near-anarchic Neuland and began rebuilding. Sustained pirate attacks lead to the garrisoning of the system with a sizeable combined League force, which has set about policing the surrounding trade lanes. The League Reconstruction Committee has stated that Ostsonne is to be indepently governed and self-sufficient by the end of this year, although the combined force is expected to remain for two years longer in order to protect the planet from further pirate incursions.

Unread 16 Jul 2004, 22:56   #78
No Dachi

A minor note...
Player planets can and will get conquered in this thread. If you do get knocked out of the game, you'll always be welcome to restart. I daresay we'll give some kind of start bonus as well to make sure you don't instantly get annexed again or something...

Unread 16 Jul 2004, 23:44   #79
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Inspectre is an unknown quantity at this point

System labeled as "Front" for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
like you in your threads after about a week

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Inspectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jul 2004, 07:05   #80
Insane. Badger
Baby Eating Capitalist

Insane. Badger can only hope to improve

i believe i'll choose Shoko as todays choice
I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. - Benjamin Franklin
Insane. Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jul 2004, 09:02   #81
Flaag
I have returned! (again)

Flaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these parts

why did u abbrv. low reach to L-Rea rather than Low-R which is easier to recognise?
anyway, some info on L-Rea plz,
also, what is our movement speed during hyperspace travel? (preferably in segments)
Unread 17 Jul 2004, 10:48   #82
No Dachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaag
why did u abbrv. low reach to L-Rea rather than Low-R which is easier to recognise?
Why did you type "u" and "abbrv." instead of "you" and "abbreviate", which would have been easier to understand?

Unread 17 Jul 2004, 10:57   #83
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Quote:
also, what is our movement speed during hyperspace travel? (preferably in segments)
1.38231 segments an hour

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 17 Jul 2004, 11:06   #84
No Dachi

Quote:
Didn't see that, turns out the post did have a point

We never worked out a solid hyperspace travel time system before, but maybe now we've got a hex map we will. At the moment I don't know.

Unread 17 Jul 2004, 17:45   #85
No Dachi

Frontier System
Even in Frontier's adjoined systems, Sestelle and High Reach, very little is known about it. Historically, Frontier System was originally located by an unmanned Japanese exploration probe. It was not colonised before the war, and for the year immediately following it the Fringe was in more-or-less total chaos as the fledgling insular colonies tried to simultaneously reach self-sufficiency and fight off waves of attacks by space pirates, their ranks bolstered by deserters and mutineers. After the pirate attacks were contained, word began to circulate among the hardened merchants peddling the still-dangerous Sestelle-New Boston-High Reach area of some kind of power emerging in the Frontier System, but this power appears recluse, and has made no attempt to contact planetary governments in High Reach or in Sestelle. Questioning of the merchants has revealed that the planet, calling itself "Frontier 1" is the second farther from the system's sun. It is blasted continuously by the heat pouring out of this large orange star, but nonetheless is apparently mineral rich, for the merchants state that the most profitable export for the Frontier System is Semi-Rare Ores, which they claim the planet sells for cheap. None of the merchants know anything about the government or much about the society; as is usual with merchants they tend to stay within the trade docks compound and note venture outside. Frontier 1 has currently made no attempt to combat pirates operating along the Trade Lanes running from it to High Reach and Sestelle, but then neither have any of the planets native to these two systems. Merchants do report a reasonable military presence guarding the outskirts of the system, and a few report observing battles between this military presence and unidintified irregular ships that are presumably pirates.

Shokoya System
Claimed and colonised by Japan two years after the founding of the original Alpha Centauri colony, Shokoya System formed the centre of the Japanese government's colonisation and developement efforts up untill the beginning of the war. Unfortunatly for its settlers, Shokoya System was one of great strategic importance, being at the time the only link to West Hub System and one of only two links to the Southern Fringe. China invaded with great force in the first year of the war, seeking to blitz through it, capture West Hub and then swing up northward to West Link System, encircling the US-held Lonestar System. The Japanese Offworld Self Defense Force was, however, well-prepared. The superior technology and co-ordination of the Japanese warships matched against the superior numbers and firepower of the Chinese fleet. In what was probably the biggest single space engagement of the war, no less than twenty Japanese warships and thirty four Chinese warships drew out battle lines in the Shokoya System. The Chinese Admiral forced the bulk of the Japanese ships to commit early on, then dispatched his auxilliary vessels around the flank of the battle to the three inhabited planets, simply called Shokoya 2, Shokoya 5 and Shokoya 6 according to their distance from the system's sun. The Chinese force attempting to land troops on Shokoya 6 was engaged by two Japanese frigates and destroyed, though one of the frigates was also lost. A large number of troops from the Peopls' Liberation Army were landed on both Shokoya 2, an Earth-like world, and on the orbital colony of Shokoya 5, a gas planet. Reinforcements in the form of two destroyers dispatched from the US Space Naval bases in Lonestar System arrived four hours after the battle's start and managed to drive the Chinese troop ships away from the landing zones, destroying several of the in the process and leaving the troops already on the ground stranded. Nonetheless, with over ten thousand troops landed on Shokoya 2 and with 6,000 on Shokoya 5, both Generals elected independently to continue the fight. By this time the Japanese fleet's battle line was ready to break, and Admiral Tokamo ordered a fighting retreat back toward Shokoya 2 and the American reinforcements. Just as it looked like the Chinese fleet would be able to reinforce the landing zones, a large United Atlantic Alliance fleet dispatched from the naval yards at Cook System was spotted moving inwards through the Oort Cloud. Sensing defeat at hand, the Chinese Admiral ordered all three inhabited planets to be nuked. Japanese missile defenses managed to neutralise a good number of the missiles in the resulting barrage but enough for through to devastate the areas not occupied by the PLA troops. At this point, the Chinese fleet withdrew completely, leaving its thousands of troops to their fate. US Marines and several UAA regiments landed on both planets to reinforce the decimated decimated Japanese troops there. Shokoya 5 was successfully recaptured shortly before the war's end, but fighting on Shokoya 2 continued right up untill the cease-fire agreement. All in all, 20,000 military personnel on both sides and over a million civilians were lost during the fighitng for the system.

After the war, Shokoya found itself devastated. Shokoya 2 had not undergone major climate change (though the temperature had risen by one degree centigrade overall), but industry and infrastructure were completely destroyed. Shokaya 5's orbital colony was a virtual wreck. Out of twenty decks, over eight were completely uninhabitable, and half of the colony had been completely blown away by the Chinese nuclear bombardment. The remaining civilians and soldiers were huddled on the lower decks, which were horrendously overcrowded, with food and oxygen running critically low. Shokaya 6's colony had been almost completely levelled, with only a handfull of survivors. The League elected to abandone Shokoya 5 completely and send all of the survivors to Shokaya 2, doing the same with Shokaya 6. Unforutnatly, the influx of fresh refugees requiring housing and support threw the ailing government of Shokoya 2 completely into dissarray, and the League Reconstruction Committee took over administration of the system. Work on the planet has been progressing smoothly, and the League is expected to turn government of the colony over to a democratically-elected government in three months. The League polices all Trade Lanes running out of the system as a matter of course, although attacks on any of them are rare. Shokoya 2's temperature has now reverted to normal. The planet is large and fertile in terms of resources, and has the potential to become very influential, particularly on the Western Fringe.

Low Reach System
Low Reach is a reasonably small star system, comprising only five planets. The system was first located by Russian Federation explorers, who were most interested in the miniral-rich third world, now known as Sulphos. The meager settlement originally established on this planet, home to just two hundred resource surveyors, was so small that it entirely escaped the notice of the pirate clans that spent most of the war raiding the second-inner most planet, New Sparta. New Sparta was also originally settled by the Russian Federation, but in much greater numbers. Contact with the Inner Sphere was lost in the early days of the war when a US Space Naval patrol discovered and destroyed one of the coms bouys providing the subspace relay link to New Validvostok, at that time the headquarters of the Russian colonial effort. The pirate clans continued to traid New Sparta and ignore Sulphos throughout the war. Being far too distant from the Inner Sphere to recieve League aid, Low Reach System has had the task of developing largely to itself. Both inhabited planets have managed to achieve this aim, but both have been turned to extreme measures in the process. Tensions between Sulphos and New Sparta have been rising for some time. Low Reach System is linked to the Inner Sphere via guarded Trade Lanes, courtesy of the adjacent Eastern Hub System, but the Trade Lane to Barak remains heavily pirated. Any outward expansion by either planet will have to be guarded carefully. New Sparta has beaten back the three highly-organised pirate clans responsible for the attacks on it, but ir is presumably only a matter of time before the clans recoup their losses.

The innermost planet is a medium-size jungle world. The plant life that covers the planet is native, but similar to Earth-native plant life in that it uses photosynthesis for respiration, and as such the planet as a whole is comfortingly green. Documents recovered from Vladivostok System indicate that there was a plan to colonise this innner world, but it is assumed that plan since fell into dissarray, since there are no visible signs of population now. The second planet is Sulphos, a hellish volcanic world that is inhospitable but resource rich. The third world is New Sparta, a Mars-type world roughly the same size as the system's first two planets. Fourth farthest from the son is an icy planet which is, again, medium-sized. A thick layer of snow covers almost the entirity of the planets surface, save for a few rockey valleys visible at the equator. Finally is the fifth planet out, a large desert planet. Its surface is freezing cold almost the entire year round, but it is also bone dry. The remains of a Russian observatory can be seen atop a mountain plateau near the planet's south pole.

High Reach System
A system of middle size with six planets, High Reach was discovered almost simultaneously by explorers from two nations. Thomas Edwards, the pioneer who discovered most of the United Atlantic Alliance's colony-bearing systems, and Hans Grüeber, the European Federation explorer who is estimated to have discovered half of the currently-known systems in and around the Northern Fringe. Both explorers were amazed by the size of the system's planets. The UAA and the EF, both lacking the resources to colonise the system on their own and both seeing the importance of settling it as soon as possible, agreed to a joint-colonisation effort. Settlers were selected from both EF and UAA colonies and sent on the haxardous and long journey to the Northern Fringe and High Reach. The second and fourth planets were immediately colonised. The second planet, named Ios, was a huge, arid, searing desert. Originally very inhospitable, engineers quickly identified a large amount of water flowing in underground rivers, which were tapped to enable farming and agriculture. Stygis, a small rocky planet, was found to be riddled with fertile river valleys, which were subsequently settled. When war came, both planets lost contact with the Joint Colonial Administration on Earth, and on each a frontier government emerged. Up untill the end of the war, both planets had been almost identical in terms of developement, but here is where they diverged. Both became monarchies, but where the King of Ios is watched by parliament and limited by constitution, the King of Stygis is not; he can and has done whatever he likes. The people of Ios, loving as they do their nation and the freedom and benefit of its society, have been shocked by the stories drifting to them from in-system merchants, and pressure on the King to take action has been mounting for some time. The Stygians are beginning to submit to the harsh rule imposed upon them by their own King, with the number of suspected parliament supporters executed becoming less and less each week as the resistance caves in. Despite the rising tensions, both planets have more important matters to attend to. High Reach is more-or-less the tip of the Northern Fringe, and all of the Trade Lanes out of the system are being heavily pirated. Fringe traders and their companies are hardy, but nonetheless before either planet expans outwards, they must first make sure that their links inward are solid. North of High Reach is the narrow buffer of known-but-not-explored systems identified by League observatories; the system has excellent colonisation prospects, though the pirate clans ought to be watched carefully. East lies the Frontier System and the recluse planet of Frontier 1, which has made no attempt at diplomatic contact with either of its neighbouring systems. South lies New Boston, and after that Sestelle. The trade route to New Boston is particularly ravaged by pirates, suspected to be operating out of the nearby deep-space asteroid fields. West lies Biseht, a small system with only one, recently-colonised Mars-type world. The system has only two planets, the uninhabited one being Barren. Trade to and from Biseht flows as a trickle, but is nonetheless frequently preyed on by the pirates.

High Reach's innermost planet is a potential cause for confrontation, a large volcanic world rich with resources. Although settling such a planet in sufficient numbers could be difficult, League surveyors have identified it as a potentially massive producer of raw minerals. Ios, the next planet our, is a huge desert world. One of the largest non-gas planets known to man, only a tiny portion of its surface has thus far been settled. It is resource rich, but could experience population growth issues as it expands. A second huge world, this time covered in tepid swamp and marsh, separates the two inhabitted planets. Fourth from the sun is Stygis, the smallest planet in the system, but a resource-rich one. Fifth and sixth are two planets that were being primed for colonisation before the war; a jungle planet and an Earth-like planet. Both had their atmospheres enhanced before the war, and both were seeded with genofixed plant life. Both are medium-sized and either one would form a good potential source of manpower.

Unread 18 Jul 2004, 20:09   #86
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Can we get a look at the economic system a bit more, or have you guys not finished that yet?
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 21:52   #87
No Dachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakhim
Can we get a look at the economic system a bit more, or have you guys not finished that yet?
No, I haven't done it yet, despite incessant whining from Crazy. Well, we've figured out how RM is going to work but that's all. P growth needs some revision (we want it to reflect on size of the existing population as well), and Currency needs doing entirely (though I know what needs to be in it atm).

Raw Materials
This was one of only two resources (the other being P) in the prior incarnations of PW, but we've since decided that approach to be unrealistic, and we're adding the additional resource of Currenxy ($$$).

Anyway, RM stands for Raw Materials but represents heavy industry and industrial infrastructure as well. The formula is fairly simple which is why we've already finalised it:

[planet type base RM]*[planet size]*[industrial base]

"Industrial Base" is the one that's going to seem unfamiliar, which is because it's new. Industrial Base is a figure representing how industrially developed your planet is. To increase your turnly RM income, you have to increase your planet's Industrial Base. This represents the construction of factories, mines, etc. Industrial Base starts at 1 for everybody, but each time you build up a level, its value increases by 0.2. This might not sound like much, but it will bring a more substantial increase than you expect, and the amount by which your RM income does increase will rise with each subsequent level.

Because we've abolished Mines and such as actual constructable buildings, we needed some way for the P tied up in industry to be represented. Your industrial worker population is equal to 10,000*Industrial Base. This means that, when you start the thread, 10,000 of your 20,000 P will be employed in the industrial sector. When you level up to Industrial Base 1.2, a further 2,000 P will be employed in the industrial sector, and so on.

Upgrading is quite simple, you pay the price and wait a turn, then you get the upgrade. The cost of increasing your Industrial Base is paid entirely in RM and is worked out using the following formula:

( [Base rate]*[current industrial base]*100 ) / 2

I think we finalised that last part, but I'm not sure. It might look like a lot, but it isn't that much. Communist and Socialist planets, where a radically different society promotes good industrial work ethic, recieve a 2.5% discount on the cost of Industrial Base upgrades.

That's pretty much it for RM. As in the last thread, RM cannot be conveniantly teleported between planets/installations at your own will. You will need to use cargo ships to ferry RM from one planet to another. You can also supplement your RM income through the use of mining vesselsm which are used to mine asteroids. You may find these in-system, but asteroid belts aren't common. The best mining vessel sites are deep space asteroid fields, but these are quite often riddled with pirates, which is a bit of a hazard.

Population
We want P to be a valuable resource this time round. We've lowered the planet P rates (and raised some), and we've also made it clear that you can't employ the entire population in governmeny services. You have to leave the worker population appropriate to your Industrial Base value free, and you will also have to leave a smaller, but still significent, number of P freed up for working in the commercial area (helping to produce $$$). We were going to use the same P system as last time, but we'd also like to make it dependent on existing population. A desert planet with over a million inhabitants is still going to grow quicker in terms of population than an Earth-type world, despite the fact that the latter's environment is more hospitable.

Currency
I've forced Crazy to give the task of figuering out the $$$ system entirely to me. It's going to be by far the most complicated of the two. It will take into account the following factors:

Authoritarian-Libertarian Scale rating (too authoritarian leads to commercial damage)
Population
Average income of population
Percentage of unemployment
Tax Rate
Standard of living (these five are closely-entertwined. The RPer only directly sets the Tax Rate, but high taxation isn't any good if all your people are dirt poor, so we also take average income and SoL into account. A high SoL indicates a high average income, which is helped by a high percentage of employment. The percentage of unemployment is also important because it naturally damages your tax revenues)
Trade revenue (you earn this in two ways. You trade commodities directly using government-owned cargo ships controlled by yourself, and you also set a Docking Fee rate charged of merchant ships for use of your planet's trade docks. The revenue achieved from the latter is thus dependent on the rate of taxation you set, and also on the amount of trading ships passing through your planet's system)
Technological advance (the better your technology, the higher your $$$ revenue)
Total rate of commerce (i.e. how much your populace is buying and selling. This will naturally fall if people are feeling insecure, due to war or internal unrest or whatever, and will rise if everything's going well and everyone is happy. This factor is replaced by "Tertiary Industry Strength" for communist and socialist planets)

Some of those might be cut, others might be added, but I think those are the ones that will eventually feature in the final formula.

Unread 18 Jul 2004, 22:16   #88
Flaag
I have returned! (again)

2 questions:

Does currency have to be transported?
Can currency be exchanged for RM without the use of a third party (eg trading with another player)?
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 22:46   #89
No Dachi

Quote:
Does currency have to be transported?
Can currency be exchanged for RM without the use of a third party (eg trading with another player)?
Currency does not need to be transported between planets.
Currency for RM I haven't considered yet, but you will be able to exchange RM for Currency in non-player-to-player transactions.

Unread 18 Jul 2004, 23:38   #90
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Two questions:
Can lowering your tax rate increase your revenue (I.E. reagonomics, with the SoL boost that comes along with it) and if the communist/socialist planets offer completely subsidized basic needs will SoL take into account that?
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 00:05   #91
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

by reaganomics, you mean 'spending all your money, reducing your income, finding yourself in collossal debt, and then pretending it isnt there'? that may not work quote so well in this arena i suspect
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 01:01   #92
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Quote:
by reaganomics, you mean 'spending all your money, reducing your income, finding yourself in collossal debt, and then pretending it isnt there'? that may not work quote so well in this arena i suspect
I mean more of the tax-cuts. The entire cut taxes-raise returns to a point thing.
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 08:54   #93
Terra Australis

Terra Australis is on a distinguished road

Count me in though i will look at the Planet lists before selecting a planet or are you just looking for who wants to play at the moment???
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 11:23   #94
No Dachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Australis
Count me in though i will look at the Planet lists before selecting a planet or are you just looking for who wants to play at the moment???
You're welcome to pick a planet from the previous page.

Lakhim
You'd be trading a short-term loss for a slight long-term gain, but it might work in the correct circumstances. SoL is always going to be most dependent on the number of civic structures you build (parks, police stations etc), the GDP per capita and the number of commodities in circulation on your planet (buying commodities off of other player planets will be a good way to increase SoL).

This works out pretty much the same for communist/socialist worlds. GDP per capita still represents the amount of wealth in total that's being divided equally among the people. Government investment in the people is still represented by the construction of civic structures like parks. Exotic luxury goods are still represented by the buying of commodities, etc.

Unread 19 Jul 2004, 21:03   #95
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Dachi
You're welcome to pick a planet from the previous page.

Lakhim
You'd be trading a short-term loss for a slight long-term gain, but it might work in the correct circumstances. SoL is always going to be most dependent on the number of civic structures you build (parks, police stations etc), the GDP per capita and the number of commodities in circulation on your planet (buying commodities off of other player planets will be a good way to increase SoL).

This works out pretty much the same for communist/socialist worlds. GDP per capita still represents the amount of wealth in total that's being divided equally among the people. Government investment in the people is still represented by the construction of civic structures like parks. Exotic luxury goods are still represented by the buying of commodities, etc.
Okay, so we don't have any real control over the social programs, right?
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 21:16   #96
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Inspectre is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, new system. New-B.
Quote:
like you in your threads after about a week

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Inspectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 22:37   #97
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Dachi Where The **** Is My Tau Ceti You Wanker
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 03:37   #98
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

If you want P growth to be dependant on existing population you should replace your current system of fixed P growth values for each planet and replace them with multipliers instead.

Also there should be an option where a government can put currency into increasing their industrial base. Just look at our world today, practically every western nation does this on a regular basis - I've yet to hear of a government owned mining company.

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 04:07   #99
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

Question: If we have say 10 industrial thingys and the starting 20000 P units, then do we HAVE to use them to mine things or will it mine automatically regaurdless of how many guys we have?

Other question: Is there a way to upgrade mining facilities to make them better, or do we have to add more guys to it or build more of them?
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 11:22   #100
No Dachi

Quote:
Dachi Where The **** Is My Tau Ceti You Wanker
Noone asked for system descriptions untill late yesterday, so I didn't bother doing any. This really isn't my problem. They'll be done today.

Lakhim
The social program takes the form of building civic structures and buying commoditiesl.

Hewitt
Multipliers was rather the idea, but we don't want to make it too simple or else the gains will be too large and P will be worthless again.

Industrial Base increase represents (in capitalist societies) the point where the industry chiefs feel the need to expand current industry dramatically, and where the government feels the need to support additional growth by increasing infrastructure. The RM cost encompasses both the government's need of raw materials to actual build the roads and railways and what have you, but also the raw material growth lost by the industry chiefs investing in expansion rather than actual production. Or something. I might introduce $$$ as well but the majority of the cost would still be payed in RM. This is to stop you from focusing on the developement of one resource ($$$) entirely and using that to simply buy the other resource (RM), with little in the way of thought or effort.

Disrupter
IYou start off with Industrial Base 1.0
You start off with 20,000 P
As P needed to support industry is 10,000*Industrial Base, you thus need 10,000 P to support industry. If you do not have these 10,000 P available to support industry, you can expect industrial production to drop, perhaps significently, depending on the P defecit.