User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying

Unread 3 Jun 2004, 21:27   #1
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Crazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to behold
Planet Wars: Redux - Intrest thread

With the help (and permission) of No Dachi, I shall be re-making this strategy thread.

The thread will contain some of the old favourites like the good ole League of Planets. It will also be having some changes to make the game more intresting, like refining the social-economic aspect.

Another change that we shall be introducing is a random event generator. This should produce some intresting situations and stop the beging of the game from being so dull and boring. The random events will be adjusted to different planets, so if one event has a large chance of effecting a democracy ruled planet, its will have less chance of effecting a Communist rule planet.

Anyway.

This thread is to just gauge intrest in the thread and see how many want to join up.

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Ghetto Master Ellis says:
Heil Crazy!
Crazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2004, 21:32   #2
No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts
Re: Planet Wars: Redux - Intrest thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyboy
so if one event has a large chance of effecting a democracy ruled planet, its will have less chance of effecting a Communist rule
It's going to be a lot more complex and less general than this.

Rest assured that you won't have to deal with any of this random event calculation complexity if you actually join, folks.

I will indeed be present to moderate warfare and high, League of Planets-level politics.
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville
No Dachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2004, 21:48   #3
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Crazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to behold

ND told me to relay some info on PW for the non-oldies who havn't had the honour of playing it before.

PW is set in a universe a few years after a large war. Each player starts off with a self-sustained, small colony.

There are 3 basic resources in PW. People, Raw Materials and £££ (Cash). Each is gained in a different way (i.e. RM is gained through mines or factories, while money is raised through taxation of people or through trade). Each resource is required for the production of ships, and the construction of buildings.

The way ships are made will be the same as in the old Planet War threads. Things may change slightly like what weapons are used but the same method of making ships will be used. Each ship has a certain amount of weapon and equipment slots, which can be filled with weapons and equipment pods which are purchased seperatly from the hull (i.e. If you buy a Gun Corvette hull, which has 4 weapon mounts, you can then buy and put on it 4 weapons. The cost of the ship will then be the cost of the 4 weapons and the hull.)

Another thing that has been mentioned is the League of Planets, which I'm leaving to ND to explain.

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 3 Jun 2004, 22:17   #4
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Bakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the rough

Hmm, I am interested.....
Unread 3 Jun 2004, 22:20   #5
No Dachi

I'll explain the League in detail tomorrow.

Unread 4 Jun 2004, 01:51   #6
Spritely Zombie
Gokan Re... Um... undead?

Spritely Zombie will become famous soon enoughSpritely Zombie will become famous soon enough

Sure, why not. Missed signups for all the solely No Dachi run ones...
Spritely Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2004, 03:08   #7
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

Disrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to all

OOOOOO i wanna play! it sounds so GREAT!!!! sign me up before i pop with excitement!

*POP*
Unread 4 Jun 2004, 12:59   #8
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

Ios returns. I'll only play as Ios though.
Unread 4 Jun 2004, 15:38   #9
Mouse

Sounds very interesting. Thinks I'll give it a try.
Nothing too complicated I hope.
Unread 4 Jun 2004, 20:22   #10
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ill join, because its empowering to be better than almost everyone else
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2004, 20:24   #11
No Dachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
ill join, because its empowering to be better than almost everyone else
I look forward to giving the players pursueing conservative political policies huge bonuses while raining meteorites down on the liberal would-be utopia you create

Unread 5 Jun 2004, 01:11   #12
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

'I am not unaware that many have held and hold the opinion that events are controlled by fortune and by the DM in such a way that the prudence of men cannot modify them; indeed, that men have no influence whatsoever.'

Unread 5 Jun 2004, 03:13   #13
Killer-of-Lawye
ensign

Killer-of-Lawye will become famous soon enoughKiller-of-Lawye will become famous soon enough

I'd like to return. Playing some version of a expansionistic democracy like Harns world would be nice.
Killer-of-Lawye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2004, 03:44   #14
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Lakhim is on a distinguished road

I'll return to, just for the hell of it.

Time for my psuedo-authoritarian left wing utopia!
Lakhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2004, 18:41   #15
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Inspectre is an unknown quantity at this point

oh, this thread sounds really interesting and I'd like to play. So can I have a planet, please? I promise I'll be good . . .
Quote:
like you in your threads after about a week

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Inspectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2004, 19:31   #16
No Dachi

Without further ado, I shall explain a few of the concepts present in Planet Wars that make it what it is...

The Setting
Planet Wars is (surprisingly) set in space in the future. In the early 21st centuty, a series of unpredicted scientific breakthroughs coupled with an ever-worsening world population problem, the latter compounded by earth's natural resources being rapidly exhausted, led to the major governments of the world looking skywards in the hope of salvation. An international, UN-sponsored effort backed by NASA, the Chinese military's space program and Russia successfully returns explorers to Mars by 2032, and within a year several key sites have been cleared for the construction of the first offworld cities - gigantic, enclosed structures that came to be known as 'colony hubs'. However, even as a newly-founded UN Space Administration Body begins picking out the first colonists from around the world, signs of strain in the international effort are beginning to show. China countenances immediate and rapid expansion of the colonisation effort on Mars, whilst the USA stands firm in its belief that the existing colonies should be improved before additional ones are constructed. By 2038, shortly after the completion of a fifth colony hub on Mars, China and NASA both state that they are not willing to partake in any further international space efforts, and instead turn to their own nationally-funded colonisation projects. However, with Mars colonised and the remaining planets of the system seeming far more difficult and less profitable to conquer, the question on the minds of many is where the national expansions will go. Before the UN can intervene, China, the USA and Russia have all claimed vast swathes of the Martian landscape not occupied by international colonies, and by 2042 each nation has founded at least one of its own colonies on the red planet. Subsequently, another new UN body is set up to ratify additional claims on Martian territory, according to the ability of the applicant nation to develope the land it claims. Space on Mars is rapidly running out, with all the nations involved demanding considerable territorial buffers between their cities and those of other nations, in order to gurantee enough resources to make the venture profitable. Once more, it looks like over-rapid expansion is going to cause humanity's downfall...

Then, in 2049, the Japanese space agency makes a breakthrough, sending a probe equipped with a prototype interstellar drive - dubbed the 'hyperdrive' - to Alpha Centauri. The probe returns as programmed just twelve days later, having gathered a considerable amount of data on humanity's neighbouring system. The data revels, to the surprise of many, that the Alpha Centauri binary star system contains two planets. One a gas giant slightly smaller than Saturn, another a rocky world roughly the same size as Earth, and with its own atmosphere. After being petitioned by all three of the major space-faring nations, the UN forces Japan to make the hyperdrive technology readily available to any space agency that requests the information, supplying the population growth problem as grounds for universal access to the Centauri system to be required. Once again, Russia, China and the United States send forth colonisation vessels - but this time they are accompanied by colonisation efforts from other nations. India, Brazil, Japan and the European Union - now an integrated nation revolving around Germany, France and Italy - also found colonies on the new planet, simply referred to as 'Alpha Centauri I', or, more commonly 'Alpha Centauri'. With the stars now unlocked to mankind, emphasis for all of the nations involved switches to exploration and discovery of new planetary star systems as much as colonising the remainder of the two already-known systems. The location of newly-found star systems becomes a closely guarded secret. In 2054 a new and potentially powerful space program enters the scene, as the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland - nations that had either withdrawn from or never joined the European Union - along with Canada establish the Combined Atlantic Space Program which, despite the name, is later joined by Australia and New Zealand as well. As planetary star systems near to earth are discovered and colonised more and more rapidly, many space agencies begin to lay claim to entire planets or even systems rather than just areas of planets. Shortly after the Cetan Crises of 2063, where the United States refuted China's claim on the Tau Ceta system on the grounds that the nation had made no effort to colonise them, and subsequently founded a colony of its own on the fertile second planet of the system, China unveils mankind's first space warship, inviting delegates from all of the other major space agencies to the vessel's first combat exercises held in the asteroid field of the Sol system. The first warship is crude, unwieldy and ugly, armed only with missile launchers (with the missiles themselves engineered for use in a 0-G vacuum) and a couple of heavy, high-velocity chainguns as armament, but with the vessel equipping a hyperdrive, the threat is clear. It becomes obvious to all of the nations flaunting out-of-system colonies that interstellar warships of their own will become necessary in order to defend their claims from the expansionist policies of their rivals. Throughout the next decade, space militarises as the major space powers find themselves locked in an ever-escalating arms race, each one vying for some form of supremacy over the others. Japan exhibits the first laser-based weapons as the CASP nations exhibit the capabilities of the first dedicated offworld troop corps. Russia showcases its new orbital-to-planet missile weaponry as the United States Space Military showcases the first primitive carrier vessel able transporting short-range fighter craft between systems. With the UN now powerless to stop the escalation and nuclear warheads being ferried out into the stars, the people of earth and the colonies hold their breath, waiting for the inevitable...

The inevitable happens in 2075, when a USAF offworld strike fighter aircraft strays into Chinese territory on Alpha Centauri I due to faulty navigation equipment, and is subsequently shot down by Chinese troops equipped with shoulder-launched AA missiles. The pilot escapes but is tracked down and imprisoned by Chinese troops. An outraged US Space Military demands the release of the pilot while China demands an apology for the unwarranted intrusion on its territory. After 24 hours of deadlock, the USSM dispatches a team of marines to secure the downed pilot. The operation goes wrong, and results with the marines limping home with the pilot, but without eight of their comrades. Around sixteen Chinese soldiers are also killed. Almost immediately, the conflict spreads. By late 2075 all of the major space-faring nations are involved, with the conflict being waged on earth as well as among the stars. It is not long before the first nuclear stones are thrown, with the Brazillion colony of Nuevo Aeries in the Escaban system being completely obliterated by fusion warheads from a warship of still-unknown nationality at a loss of twenty million souls, and similar atrocities soon following. The war continues for another decade, an endless march of attrition as each nation or coalition of nations gradually exhausts its resources and manpower. Finally, in 2092, it is clear that none of the governments involved have any capability with which to continue to wage war on the others. The war is finally concluded in the Peace of Dubai, where the remaining governments of the world all agree to disband immediately, granting autonomy to the colonies and turning over all their remaining resources to them. The one guideline set out to the newly independent colonies is that a new international body - the League of Planets- be established, in an effort to preserve the noble goals laid out by the UN. The League of Planets' first united effort is to terraform earth back to the point where it can be inhabited - for years of protracted warfare have transformed it into a scorched, barren hellhole, where winds laden heavy with radioactive dust wash over glassed earth. By 2095, earth is returned to its former state, with cloned plantlife having been re-introduced to some sections of the planet's surface. Earth is granted independence from League administration a few years later. With the League having banned the development of nuclear weaponry as well as chemical and biological agents, and with any survivig nuclear warheads found having been destroyed, mankind looks set to enter a new age of peace and prosperity. However, there are dark clouds lurking on the horizon. The social and political differences between the old nations have been preserved in the societies and governments of the independent planets spawned from their ex-colonies. With the planets now beginning to found colonies of their own, and with disputes beginning to arise from the radically different ideologies of a few planets, it is perhaps only a matter of time before new and even more destructive wars are fought...

The age of the nationstate is over, but the age of the planet state is just beginning...

The League of Planets
Put simply, the League is the United Nations of the future. The General Council is the League's only body, and is divided into 600 'Seats'. Each Seat equates to one vote for the planet that holds it. Originally, Seats were allocated according to population, but it became clear that this system was inadequate and so ammendments to the League's structure were put forward. Each and every planet that joins the League (with each new entrant being approved by a majority vote in the Council) is entitled to one Seat, but with all of the League's members taken into account, this still leaves around 380 Seats unallocated. As such, the remaining Seats are divided according to votes between a list of nominees, with the number of Seats each planet can be nominated for depending upon its size, influence, economic strength, etc etc. A planet can only hold an additional Seat, or additional Seats, for a ten year term before the Seat is voted for again (with the Seat's previous owner being on the list of nominees by default). As such the most powerful and influential planets recieve more Seats, but a planet of growing influence and power will recieve more over time.

The General Council can be called to vote on any issue, but a vote can only be started by the President of the General Council, who is always chosen from the people of neutral planets such as New Geneva. The Presidents have shown time and time again that they will not begin a League vote on any issue affecting or potentially affecting less than two planets. As such, a tyrant can be safe in the knowledge that the League will not attempt to free his people, so long as he does not attempt to invade the neighbouring world. The General Council has never yet been called to vote for or against military intervention in a conflict, and as such the League's resolve has never been tested. More often, the League votes on additions or ammendments to the Universal Constitution - a set of rules applying to all planets, that all member nations of the League promise to uphold. Such rules include the one banning the ownership, construction of or developement of nuclear weaponry.

The League serves as a way of making you, the ruler of your planet, accountable to sensible, moderator-decided public opinion. As such, if you invade a neigjhbouring planet without any reason but want of territorial gain, you can expect League intervention against you. Instead you must be cunning, Decieve or trick the member planets, make yourself look like the victim in the conflict...

The League is dynamic and will change according to how the universe of the game does. If, for example, an event is brought about whereby the League does not intervene in a conflict that it clearly should have, it will lose credibility and thus influence. If a string of such eventualities occur, it will quickly become defunct and useless.

---

You'll have details on the economical system and such later on, in the mean time I'm happy to answer any questions you have...

Unread 5 Jun 2004, 19:57   #17
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

I'll take that outlandish backwater planet right over there...

*Points in a random direction.*

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2004, 20:50   #18
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

Disrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to all

*Disrupter throws a dart at a star chart*

Provided i dont hit a star, i will take whatever planet/system that the dart lands on. Their HYPERION shall arise into an empire. An empire of outrageous perportions. either that or itll be a hellhole within a week of my ruling it.
Unread 6 Jun 2004, 13:57   #19
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

Ios, Ios, Ios, Ios, Ios, Ios, Ios, Ios, Ios.

Cl33r 'nuff.
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 02:42   #20
Wraith[x]
Moo?

Wraith[x] is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this gonna happen? It sounds good, altho it has been ~a month...

*prepares his benevolent dictatorship*
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 03:19   #21
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

Duke sits on his empire waiting for it to spring to life. He glances at his watch and stares out at what will be the capital city of HYPERION.
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 11:35   #22
No Dachi

Yeah, it's still happening. Just not for a while. I'll give y'all a progress check since I'm so nice:

What we have
The list of starting planets, named and sorted into systems.
The ground rules for the economics system.
The ground rules for the League of Nations.
The ground rules for the political system.
A preliminary list of buildings/weapons.

What we still have to do
A map.
Finalise the economics system.
Finalise the political system.
Calculate system attributes for all the star systems (Crazy may have done this already, but if so I don't think we know the planet types yet)
Do the research system.
Figure out exactly how colonisation is going to work.
Do a new history.
Finalise the League rules.

Unread 2 Jul 2004, 12:11   #23
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Dachi
since I'm so drunk and high on drugs (again):.
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 12:25   #24
No Dachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffie
Please excuse my ridiculous behavior, I'm silly and also very, very drunk.

Unread 2 Jul 2004, 13:10   #25
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Yay!
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 13:56   #26
No Dachi

Unread 3 Jul 2004, 03:52   #27
Killer-of-Lawye
ensign

Killer-of-Lawye will become famous soon enoughKiller-of-Lawye will become famous soon enough

Excelent. THis time I shall not be denighed greatness.
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 08:38   #28
Insane. Badger
Baby Eating Capitalist

Insane. Badger can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer-of-Lawye
Excelent. THis time I shall not be denighed greatness.
yes you will
I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. - Benjamin Franklin
Insane. Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 20:08   #29
Ryon Jkar
Prince of the Dawn

Ryon Jkar is infamous around these partsRyon Jkar is infamous around these parts

Alright... Sounds awesome... I'll bring Errin to power again!
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 20:17   #30
No Dachi

Erren won't be playable this time round.

Unread 3 Jul 2004, 20:25   #31
Ryon Jkar
Prince of the Dawn

Ryon Jkar is infamous around these partsRyon Jkar is infamous around these parts

haha just kidding.
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 04:21   #32
Killer-of-Lawye
ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane. Badger
yes you will
Re-nukes earth.
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 04:39   #33
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

stop spamming and start posting or annoy him to start posting

*watches petty squabbling and awaits the rise of Hyperion*
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 12:22   #34
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer-of-Lawye
Re-nukes earth.
There be no nukes

So you'll have to find another way to wipe him out.

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 15:32   #35
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Inspectre is an unknown quantity at this point

Several hundred thousand megatons of conventional explosive ought to replicate the nuclear bomb effect sufficiently to satisfy you.
Quote:
like you in your threads after about a week

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Inspectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 17:59   #36
Killer-of-Lawye
ensign

Oh, no's! There be no nukes! The leauge of planets will come and strike at my fleet.

Oh.. wait, that fleet has nukes too.

*tac nukes invading fleets and takes the ships.*
Unread 11 Jul 2004, 22:29   #37
Flaag
I have returned! (again)

Flaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these parts

i'm interested
*starts plotting an evil dictatorship, and thinks of a really stupid name for his ruler*

***Warning*** possibly insulting piss take coming up ***

"ah, Borge W. Gush!!"
Flaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2004, 23:28   #38
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaag
***Warning*** possibly insulting piss take coming up ***
was this really neccessary?
Unread 12 Jul 2004, 09:36   #39
Flaag
I have returned! (again)

Flaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these parts

no, i was just bored :P
Flaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 21:25   #40
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

"And 'lo, there was much rejoycing"

Yes, the planet list has been finished (Well done mr D'oh Nazi).

System [1] - Alpha Centauri
CENTAURI PRIME: Jungle World, Large, 1 moon, no commodity (Terra)
Government: Democratic Republic (A-L Scale 5)
Information: Centauri Prime was the site of the first extra-solar colonies, and was colonised by a number of different nations. As such, it was scene to a series of bloody ground campaigns, and over the system were fought a number of starship engagements. All of the original colony cities were by the end of the war in an almost total state of ruin, and by the time it had been re-colonised on a large scale, the planet was largely covered in the genofixed plantlife that had been sown there, with climate change having resulted in a uniformly warm and lush biosphere. Centauri Prime is a straight democratic republic, which sits largely in the centre of the authoritarian-libertarian scale. The planet's main advantage is its position; it is in the nearest system to Sol and is near-central to the sphere of colonised worlds, making it a potentially lucrative trading planet in the right hands.

NOVA CENTAURI: Ocean World, Small, 1 moon, low-profit commodity (Wo2)
Government: Communist (A-L Scale 7)
Information: Nova Centauri was originally colonised by Russian settlers some time after the founding of the Alpha Centauri colonies, being as it was the smallest planet of the Centauri system, and at the time one without any important resources. Due to its minor and somewhat insignificent status the colony was never nuked and control of it changed hands only twice - from Russia to China and then from China to the USA. Having survived with 80% of its population in tact, the colony continued to grow after the war. By this time the planet's predominant native species - a form of primitive plant life dubbed Novan Kelp that grows on the barely-submerged sand banks surrounding many of its islands - had achieved the status of culinary delicasy on some of the richer worlds, and so a low-profit commodity trade began to develope. The planet's position (central) is an advantage. The planet is currently under the control of a borderline Stalinist regime, with freedom of expression denied and the government a dictatorship.

System [2] - Eastern Cloud System
SANCHEAN: Desert World, Large, 2 moons, no commodity (Lakhim)
Government: Communist (A-L Scale 4)
Information: The Eastern Cloud System is very near to the Eastern Cloud Nebula, a gigantic bank of gas that inhibits sensors and conventional communications arrays and has, thus far, acted as a barrier to eastward expansion. Sanchean is a recent colony on which a libertarian communist regime currently rules. It has no commodity at present, but with the strong industry naturally resulting from communism being properly cultivated, prospects for colonisation will be good as soon as the cloud is bypassed. The planet of Sanchean clashes ideologically with New Tokyo, and tensions between the two have been rising for sometime.

NEW TOKYO Earth-type World, Small, 1 moon, no commodity (KoL)
Government: Corporate Republic (A-L Scale 4)
Information: New Tokyo is a small and rather unremarkable colony that is notable for just two things; its government and its climate (ideal for humans, the planet has been covered in genofized plantlife). The planet was originally a Japanese colony, but was glassed by Russian forces during the war. Following the war, the League was faced with overwhelming reconstruction costs, and concentrated its own funds on the redevlopement of the largely devastated inner worlds. With New Tokyo being at that time on the farthest frontier, it was one of the many worlds where the League contracted corporations to handle reconstruction - in this case contracting the Masaki Corporation. The Masaki Corporation had within two years got the colony self-sufficient again and had also made itself massive profits on the side. The following year, the Corporation bought out the fledgling small businesses that were sustaining the planet, subjugating them to its own management, and moved its corporation headquarters there. New Tokyo runs a free market. The Masaki Corporation, despite its morally debateable genesis, nonetheless governs a free and libertarian state.

System [3] - Karlak
TEIAN POINT Rocky World, Tiny, 2 moons, low-profit commodity (Hewitt)
Government: Frontier (A-L Scale N/A)
Information: Tel-An-Point was uninhabited throughout the war save for a minor United Atlantic Alliance military base during the war, which was abandoned at its end, with its crew disbanding and seeking fortune on Elyssium. The planet has recently been colonised by an independent League-supported effort to relieve growing population pressure on a number of worlds with limited resources. Its government is currently in Frontier mode, and the planet has yet to show any sign of leaning toward a specific government type. The planet, currently comprising a mix of first-generation migrants and without any perceptible separate culture or government, will have to work hard to find itself a sense of identity in the future. However, with the planet being rich in resources (if small), and also a source of Semi-Rare Ore ((a broad commodity type covering a variety of metals)), it has the potential to become very influtential planet in the hands of a good ruler.

ELYSSIUM: Earth-type World, Medium, 2 moons, low-profit commodity (CRAZY)
Government: Constitutional Monarchy (A-L Scale 5)
Information: A UAA colony, Elyssium was the enduring symbol of a successful and prosperous out-system colony during the war. At that time on the near-frontier, Elyssium was heavily defended as the jewel of the UAA's crown and only four nuclear devices were detonated on its surface. Despite this, it was nonetheless in a poor state immediately following the war. However, with the strong leadership resulting from the establishment of a monarch and through the efforts of a patriotic populace, Elyssium is now on the rise again.

System [4] - Sestelle
CIENELLE: Desert World, Medium, 2 moons, low-profit commodity (Bakan)
Government: Democratic Republic (A-L Scale 5)
Information: Established by European Federation settlers , Sestelle was beyond the frontier during the war and was never bombarded nor occupied, though it was attacked several times by pirate forces operating in the area. After the war, democracy endured and with the planet being little damaged from the war it emerged in a relatively strong position. It seconomy has continued to grow for the years since the war. Cienelle is now in a reasonably strong position. Sestelle System is nearer to the frontier than it is to the centre, but this position will nonetheless allow for both reasonably easy expansion and for trading.

FREILAND: Jungle World, Large, no moon, medium-profit commodity (INSPECTRE)
Government: Military Junta (A-L Scale 5)
Information: Freiland was established some time before Cienelle, also by European Federation efforts. Freiland was warm and, with the soil found to be rich in nitrogen and other elements, the planet was originally listed as a possible agricultural world. With militarism on the rise, however, the European Federation Military took over the planet as a naval base shortly after the first genofixed plant samples had arrived. Planting continued nonetheless. During the war, Freiland was nuked several times, and efforts to control the size of the plantations failed. Within years, the planet was literally covered in thick, inhospitable jungle. Surprisingly, the native herbivores turned out to prosper in this vegetarian paradise, and so too did the local carnivores - dominated by a genus of large, predatorial lizards. The colony was half-ruined from the war and, with this hazardous environment all around them, Freilander citizens earned themselves a reputation for hardiness. Continued battles with pirates attacking the system on and off in the years following the war left Freiland with a strong military, which became politically active and staunchly opposed socialist reforms pushed through the planet's democratic government. These rising tensions boiled over last year when the military's top generals and admirals staged a coup and overthrew the democratic regime. A military junta comprising 13 admirals and generals has been ruling the country since. To the surprise of many, the military seems to be preserving political and social freedoms, though it shows no signs of releasing control of the planet.

System [5] - High Reach
STYGIS Rocky World, Small, 3 moons, no commodity (Disruptor)
Government: Monarchy (A-L Scale 7)
Information: Stygis was founded before the war and, like Ios, had a frontier government throughout. Following the war's end, like Ios, a strong leader during the time of the frontier was appointed monarch of a new line. Unlike Ios, however, this monarch did not rule with the interests of the nation at heart, and within two years he had had the parliament disbanded and the prominent representatives rounded up and executed for treason. The King of Stygis is not limited in his power or actions by any law nor legislative body and is free to do as he pleases. The authoritarian streak apparent in him from his early days has become more and more visible, with a secret police organisation now rooting out suspected parliament loyalists, and with such people often being executed
without trial.

IOS: Desert World, Huge, 3 moons, no commodity (FLUFFIE)
Government: Constitutional Monarchy (A-L Scale 5)
Information: A backwater frontier world throughout the war, Ios only came to be notable following it, when, with its people having successfully managed to drill to the aquifer at several key points to create artificial rivers, it began to produce enough food to sustain a far larfer population, and thus became a target for League refugee-settling efforts. The frontier government had a clear leader, who was eventually made the first King of Ios, sharing power with a (partly) democratically elected, representative partliament. Ios is still relatively close to the Frontier. Pirate atacks are a problem, and the planet has in the past earned League money from attacking and neutralising organised pirates in the area. The planet is in a good position for outward expansion, but does not get on well with Stygis, the other planet in its system.

System [6] - Westward Fringe
MANCONAR: Ocean World, Small, 5 moons, no commodity (OPEN)
Government: Democratic Republic (A-L Scale 3)
Information: A gem of paradise shining out from the in-between area situated on the line between the Inner Sphere Worlds and the Fringe Worlds, Manconar's democratic government takes a highly libertarian approach to governance which has helped the planet become a major tourism hotspot. Consisting largely of chains of sunny, sandy atolls warmed to tropical temperatures and occupied by a few genofixed palm-variety plants, people flood from the less-hospitable worlds to Manconer every year for vacations. The planet's populace allows the government's easy-going stance by themselves abiding to the few laws that do exist. While the economy is strong, the government's refusal to impose fair-trade restrictions and etcetera has led to a rise of large corporations that are beignning to noticeably dominate commerce and industry.

TARNAM: Desert World, Large, 1 moon, no commodity (OPEN)
Government: Communist (A-L Scale: 5)
Information: Tarnam was a frontier colony during the war, originally founded by a European Federation effort. The colony had not achieved a full level of self-sufficiency by the war's end, and so in the years following it the planet suffered from massive poverty and an appalling standard of living. A military-backed communist revolt deposed the frontier government and installed a new administration, which set about abolishing private property and improving industry. Within two years, an acceptable standard of living had been achieved. Tarnam's government enforces communist society, but so far has not been overly authoritarian in its actions. The people in turn largely support the government although a few political dissidents are countenancing a return to free market economics now that the resources crisis is over.

System [7] - Sol
EARTH: Earth-type World, Medium, 1 moon, Gold medium-profit commodity (IB)
Government: Democratic Republic (A-L Scale: 5)
Information: Earth was completely devastated by the war, and afterwards the vast majority of the survivors were relocated to the Outer Colonies by League refugee efforts. The remaining survivors started rebuilding their planet, recieving only slight help from the League (which deemed the planet something of a lost cause). At the start of the thread, things on Earth are just starting to normalise again. The government is democratic and the current regime has done nothing to infringe on civil and social liberties, but there is a strong streak of right-wing nationalism running through the people, who feel they have been spurned by the League. Earth is one of inhabited worlds with sizeable gold deposits, and with gold being important to a number of modern alloys and ship components, trading the commodity out could be very profitable. Being central to the Known Galaxy, Earth is in an excellent trading position, though outward expansion could be difficult (with colonised worlds stretching out for some distance on every side).

MARS: Mars-type World, Small, no moons, no commodity (OPEN)
Government: Socialist (A-L Scale 3)
Information: One of the few truly socialist worlds in existence, Mars is a left-wing utopia. The government barely exerts any control over the people, other than laws and a few restrictions on the economy placed with the intention of preserving the planet's society as it is, and these are becoming less and less each year. Mars has a strong economy and a strong industry and a happy populace, but its military is virtually non-existant, and its people pacifistic. Mars could come to risk from militaristic or expansionist worlds seeking to add it to their collection in the later turns of the game. Its position is central to the Known Sphere and as such outward expansion could become difficult, although trading prospects are excellent.

System [8] - Lonestar
HARN'S WORLD: Ocean World, Large, 1 moon, Harn's World Red Salmon low-profit commodity (OPEN)
Government: Democratic Republic (A-L Scale: 4)
Information: Harn's World was nearly destroyed during the war, and the conflict as a whole left a lasting impression on its people, who are now largely pacifist. The government is liberal and entirely democratic. Commerce has prospered with the help of the planet's near-central position (Lonestar is almost adjacent to Sol) and due to the planet's commodity, Harn's World Red Salmon, a genofixed variety of the once common Earth fish. Harn's World has excellent prospects as a trading centre, and will certainly have the manpower for outward expansion, though it may have difficulty locating uncolonised worlds.

NEW ROMA: Earth-type World, Small, 2 moons, Religious Items low-profit commodity (OPEN)
Government: Theocracy (A-L Scale: 6)
Information: New Roma was originally colonised by the European Federation, and unlike Harn's World remained relatively in-tact during the war, despite changing hands several times. Due to the planet's fairly undamaged state, after the war the Catholic Church moved its headquarters off of a shattered Earth and to this young colony. Although the planet's government was originally democratic, the Catholic Church has been steadily gaining power, and now holds majority in the senate in such a way that the remnants of the political parties, even united, would be unable to stop any measure it wanted passed. The Church has over the past few years become steadily more authoritarian, outlawing abortion, gay marriage and poised on the brink of outlawing the use of contraceptives. The government has made itself some commercial earnings in recent years by exporting Church-ordained Catholic paraphenalia to predominantly-Christian planets.

System [9] - Low Reach
SULPHOS: Volcanic World, Medium, 1 moon, no commodity (Flaag)
Government: Despotic (A-L Scale: 8)
Information: Sulphos was nicknamed "the Hell World" by the unfortunate Russian exploration teams given the task of settling it, and this name is if anything more true today. The planet was still ruled by a frontier arrangement after the war, and its population exploded with an influx of refugees. Sulphos was over-settled, and resources were stretched. In the mass discontent that followed, a military general stages a coup and siezed control of the colony. Unlike other worlds whose government came about in this way, such as Freiland, this general's first action was to have the other senior-ranking officers in the army executed, the lower ranks being almost completely supportive of him. Following two years of purges, the planet is now a firm dictatorship. An efficient secret police system roots out suspected dissidents with ease, these suspects are almost always executed without trial. The self-styled Emperor of Sulphos' rule is absolute. The military is fanatically loyal to him, and under massive indoctrination and propaganda efforts, the populace is beginning to lose its identity, instead embracing their totalitarian ruler with entire dedication. Sulphosan attempts at outward expansion into the rest of the system have been thus far blocked by New Sparta, though it is perhaps only a matter of time before it manages to break out, given the resources of this mineral-rich world at the tyrant's dispoal.

NEW SPARTA: Mars-type World, Medium, 2 moons, no commodity (OPEN)
Government: Communist Military Junta (A-L Scale: 6)
Information: New Sparta, being on the fringe throughout the war, suffere continuous attacks from pirates operating out of nearby unsettled systems. The more organised pirate clans attempted to sieze control of the planet several times by landing troops. In one such assault half of the planet's capital city (at that time the only settlement) was occupied by pirate troops for a month, with the planetary militia taking another two months to drive their enemies offworld alltogether. After the war and with the pirates driven back by concerted League efforts, the planet's fledgling democratic government established in the wake of the destruction quickly fell apart. The people, with those of voting age, both male and female, having almost all served with the conscripted militia during the pirate landings, backed the military and anything that it's twenty-or-so senior officers countenanced, and so these twenty became the de-facto ruling body of the planet within months. With resources being limited and half the planet in ruins from protracted on-off urban warfare, the "Ruling Council" hit out with planned economics (it has since become more liberal in terms of restrictions on the economy) and abolition of private property. The junta refused to tolerate political dissidents, with the penalty being death, though it should be noted that all trials were carried out fairly. New Sparta is fringeward, in a good position for expansion, but should be wary of the threat posed by Sulphos, and will need to do something about its lack of manpower.

System [10] - Tau Ceti
TAU CETI PRIME: Desert World, Large, 1 moon, no commodity (PlanetKillerII)
Government: Corporate Republic (A-L Scale: 4)
Information: Tau Ceti was the first planet to be claimed wholely by one nation, that nation being the USA. NASA made good on its promises and by the start of the war Tau Ceti was flourishing, with over a hundred thousand settled. Unfortunatly, despite the best efforts of the US Space Navy during the war, the planet was nuked several times by Chinese forces. Thanks to forward planning by the colonial governor, however, around ten thousand people and a good number of soldiers were preserved in the warren of reinforced tunnels and bunkers running below the planet's surface. The planet never changed hands, though by the end of the war everything the colonists had worked toward since its founding had been destroyed. Nonetheless, the people perservered, and within two years (with the help of League funding) Tau Ceti was on its feet again. A liberal government combined with free-market economics lead to the rise of huge corporations that, between them, controlled virtually all industry and commerce. Eventually, the three leading corporations merged, and as such their combined Board of Executives became the de-facto planetary government. The Corporation, fortunatly seeing sense, has continued to pursue the liberal governmental and economical policies of its predescessor democratic regime. Ceti Prime is in an excellent trading position (Tau Ceti being adjacent to Sol),
but may have trouble expanding due to its central position.

TAU CETI SEPTUS: Ice World, Large, 1 moon, Septan Ice Whales medium-profit commodity (Phang)
Government: Frontier (A-L Scale: N/A)
Information: Simultaneously claimed by both China and Russia, the planet was divided half-and-half between the two nations in a UN-brokered deal before the war. The planet was one of the relatively few that saw long, protracted ground combat rather than simple orbital nuking, and as neither nation wished to risk destroying the planet's environment, each intending to possess it wholesale by the end of the war, Septus remained for the most part unsullied by mushroom clouds, though the human cost was still massive. The burmed-out hulks of destroyed tanks little the ice fields on the former battlegrounds, and a gigantic hole in the ice layer near to the planet's equator still remains from where a disabled Russian capital ship ploughed into the planet's surface. Tau Ceti Septus is noteable as the first planet on which developed native life was found. The Septan Ice Whales, gigantic creatures that only come to the planet's frigid surface to breathe in once ever eight hours, and spend most of their time consuming the clouds of primitive microscopic creatures dwelling in perpetual darkness around warmth of the volcanic vents on the floor of the planet's ocean. After the war, with most of the cities devastated despite the lack of nuclear bombardment and the planet being naturally inhospitable without the artificial addition of amenities, the League resettled almost all of the planet's people, with only a few of the original colonists opting to remain in order to hunt the Ice Whales. Whaling turned out to be a highly profitable business, with almost every part of the (frequently) 200 metre-long beasts being useable. Further bands of enterprising individuals began to trickle onto the planet in order to take advantage of the whaling industry's profitability. The result was a scattering of tiny whaling communities stretched out across the planet's icy surface. Only two years ago did the various whaling companies begin to band together and co-operate, pooling their considerable financial wealth in order to bring the planet up to colony status. A sizeable city now forms the centre of the planet's population, home to the whalers' families and to the whalers when they are not away on the job, as well as to a fledgling commercial and sector. Tau Ceti Septus has yet to select a final mode of government, being as it is currently still in a primitive frontier arrangement, and so a wise ruler ought to be able to make something good out of the planet.

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!

Last edited by Crazyboy; 21 Jul 2004 at 11:07.
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 21:39   #41
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

And for all yours benefits the P and base RM rates for al the planets.

Barren: 600P 50Rm
Ice: 3,000P 300RM
Rock: 3,000P 800RM
Earth: 6,000P 400RM
Mars: 2,000P 600RM
Gas: 2,000P 700RM
Jungle: 4,500P 450RM
Swamp: 4,000P 300RM
Desert: 3,000P 500RM
Volcanic: 2,000P 750RM
Ocean: 5,500P 300RM

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!

Last edited by Crazyboy; 16 Jul 2004 at 11:34.
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 21:51   #42
No Dachi

Explanation

P Rates
"P" is one of the resources in Planet Wars, it represents "People", i.e. your planet's population. With mankind decimated by nuclear warfare and subsequently scattered across a hundred worlds, manpower is a vital resource. Your government will need to employ P itself (to crew your warships, to run your facilities, to found your colonies, etc), but you'll also need to leave a "buffer" of P not employed by the government. These people do normal jobs, they work in factories, offices, etc.

Your P Rate is the amount by which your planet's population increases each turn. Some worlds are naturally more hospitable than others, compelling outsiders to immigrate and current citizens to breed, so the population of an Earth-Type World will grow more quickly than, for example, the population of a Volcanic World.

Base RM Rates
"RM" stands for "Raw Materials", PW's second resource, and one of two that is connected to planet type. Some planet types are naturally more fertile in terms of minteral wealth than others, some are easier to mine, etc. Your planet's Base RM Rate does not determine entirely itself how much RM your planet earns per turn, but it is part of it. RM is important for actually building stuff (like starships) with, and you can also sell it for $$$ (representing plain Currency, the third and final resource, which is not affected by planet type).

Unread 15 Jul 2004, 21:54   #43
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Bakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the rough

System [4] - Sestelle
CIENELLE:

My choice!
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 22:31   #44
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

SANCHEAN: Desert World, Large, 2 moons, no commodity (OPEN)
Information: The Eastern Cloud System is very near to the Eastern Cloud Nebula, a gigantic bank of gas that inhibits sensors and conventional communications arrays and has, thus far, acted as a barrier to eastward expansion. Sanchean is a recent colony on which a libertarian communist regime currently rules. It has no commodity at present, but with the strong industry naturally resulting from communism being properly cultivated, prospects for colonisation will be good as soon as the cloud is bypassed. The planet of Sanchean clashes ideologically with New Tokyo, and tensions between the two have been rising for sometime.

Lets roll. (A-L means what again? Oh, duh. Sorry, you guys just had it backwards, so that threw me. )

We still have size modifiers like last time?
Know how I said I would be event DMing today? Well I was lying and instead decided to take the social life option. You'll get your DMings tomorrow, event-tually. Hohoho.
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 22:43   #45
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Yes. Thus the 'large' by your planet type.

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 22:52   #46
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyboy
Yes. Thus the 'large' by your planet type.

Well, I ment as far as starting pop/resources go.
Know how I said I would be event DMing today? Well I was lying and instead decided to take the social life option. You'll get your DMings tomorrow, event-tually. Hohoho.
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 23:18   #47
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Ios!
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 00:34   #48
Killer-of-Lawye
ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakhim
SANCHEAN: Desert World, Large, 2 moons, no commodity (OPEN)

Lets roll. (A-L means what again? Oh, duh. Sorry, you guys just had it backwards, so that threw me. )

We still have size modifiers like last time?

Athoratarian/ libritarian. However it should be vise versa. The lower the number the more libritarian your nation is. You and I are both at the same level. The only difference apperently is ideology. Go figgure.
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 00:37   #49
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Hence why I said "Oh duh. Sorry, you guys just had it backwards, so that threw me."

This should be fun, just the way I like to play my nations.
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 00:48   #50
Killer-of-Lawye
ensign

Yeah. You;ll be the death of me I'm sure. *sigh*