User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying

Unread 12 Feb 2004, 21:40   #1
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Inspectre is an unknown quantity at this point
Rebirth of Heroes

A thin mist slowly flows across the battlefield, partially obscuring the carnage that was all that remained of Fort Solifax and its defenders. But not even the splotchy fog could block out all of the evidence that a desperate - and horribly brutal - battle had taken place here for the past several days. Bodies were strewn about the ground and amongst the battlements, hacked to pieces or serving as a holder for several feathered shafts. Death was the same for all, however, regardless of what race or condition each corpse was in. They all contributed to the silent horror of war, and its terrible aftermath.

Yet somewhere on the battlefield, one of the piles of bodies shifts, and a "corpse" near the base stirs. A man almost covered with blood from head to toe, slowly crawls out from under a massive orc. "Ugh .. . it seems I failed again." The man murmurs, rising a hand to gently probe a long gash running along his hairline. The man painfully gets to his feet, and then begins to limp across the battlefield, as if searching for something. Or someone. The man's memories slowly came back to him as he trudges across the terrible scene, stopping to gaze at the frozen faces of anyone that he recognized.

Do you seriously think we can last another night? Ha!

The gates are collapsing!! Hurry, and bring your weapons to repulse these demons!!

AHHH! Help me, Bartus!! EEAAARGGHH!!

I merely ask each of you to stand with me. Stand with me at Fort Solifax, and make one last stand for the light. One last stand against Darius and his orc allies. Is it so much to ask each of you to fight and die on your feet like men? Or would you prefer to live on your knees at his feet, once he has smashed our last bastion of defense, Fort Solifax?! I have made my choice, and I shall die on my feet with a sword in my hand!! My epitaph will be the mound I make with the bodies of my enemies!! Who has the courage to die with me, and to die well! Who has the courage to face the night?

The man known as Bartus stepped over the body of a goblin, and at last found Vilas Stormgul, hero of Solifax. His epitaph was a trio of orcs lying in a semi-circle about him, along with a trail of five or six other leading from the gates to his final resting place. Bartus lowered his head, his vision blurring with tears. "Rest well, my leader, my friend . . . my brother." Bartus already knew that there would be no other epitaph to this proud warrior, no memorial to detail his bold sacrifice. Darius and his allies would sweep across the defenseless lands like a plague, enslaving and killing at will. There was no one left to stop him, nor anyone brave enough left to try.

Bartus felt a wave of despair wash over him, and wondered by what perverse chance of Fate had allowed him to survive, but none of the other braver, stronger soldiers. Wiping his eyes, Bartus looked up to see a shimmering portal hovering in the air a short distance from him. The portal held an image of a large tavern at night, and Bartus smiled sadly as he remembered the last time he saw this portal, just after a brutal fight just like this one. He hadn't changed the future, but maybe this time . . .

Taking a deep breath to steady himself, Bartus leaps forward into the portal, and into the past, and the dark tavern were Vilas Stormgul had called the fateful meeting so long ago.

Hero's Epitaph is coming back. I plan on remodeling and updating quite a few things, hopefully fixing the boatload of mistakes I made the last time I did this thread. As a result, the thread is nowhere near ready for postage, but I would like to see how many old-timers crawl out of the woodwork to show their interest in a re-do, and thus massage my ego.

So, post if you're interested, and if enough old-timers and newcomers want to take a crack at stoping the flood of evil, I'll set the board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
like you in your threads after about a week

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Inspectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2004, 21:41   #2
No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts
Re: Rebirth of Heroes

I'll join on the condition that swords don't break as easily as you were telling me they would.
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville
No Dachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2004, 21:55   #3
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Bakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the rough

Count me in...
Unread 12 Feb 2004, 22:03   #4
King Cress
King of ALL Cress

King Cress is infamous around these partsKing Cress is infamous around these parts

kool, im in

havent done this for a while...........

Guitar Rules
King Cress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2004, 22:24   #5
Darkling
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Darkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to behold

Before I commit myself fully, I would request some infmation first;-

Part of that being wether tis will be story driven thread or free for all bloodbath for want of a better word. Secondly is this going to be stat based thread, and if so to what degree. Thirdly how wou;d your charcter be set up, althiugh this could be considered a few question in itself. I ask simple what does it involve to have a character created for this thread and what restrictions apply, e.g. are you limted in what your character can be or is it as carefree as imagine will allow, etc.
Darkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2004, 22:26   #6
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

dragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to all

I'll join depending on the responses to Darkling's questions.

* tiger uses the ultimate way in, trough the water pipes
* Shadowhawk idly points out that this is #rpgal, the pipes are probably blocked from all the bs that you come up with.
dragonsjem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 00:36   #7
Io Cor
I eat babies! ;D

Io Cor is infamous around these partsIo Cor is infamous around these parts

I'm in...hopefully
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 08:02   #8
Dunin Hemm
Bärsärkarvarg

Dunin Hemm is on a distinguished road

*Hugs Inspectre.

Hero's Epitaph is the coolest thing that ever happened to these boards.
Dunin Hemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 11:56   #9
Muha
The Port Royale

Muha will become famous soon enoughMuha will become famous soon enough

ill be in, as soon as i get my togs
[16:45] <Ur_Quan> brains?? am i missing something??
(13:17:44) (+PyRo`) Muha is a genius <3
(02:51:02) • +Siv|Risk bows before the overwhelming knowledge of Muha
Muha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 15:37   #10
okiN
Pretty In Pink

okiN is infamous around these partsokiN is infamous around these parts

I was gonna join hero's epitaph, but I was away when it happened. Hopefully I won't miss this one.
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 15:44   #11
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

I can't say I remember the original but if was as good as everyone is making it out to be I'll definately give this one a shot.

Count meh in.

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 19:49   #12
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Crazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to behold

You know my anwser.

Took your bloody time fs.

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Ghetto Master Ellis says:
Heil Crazy!
Crazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 02:13   #13
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkling
Before I commit myself fully, I would request some infmation first;-

Part of that being wether tis will be story driven thread or free for all bloodbath for want of a better word. Secondly is this going to be stat based thread, and if so to what degree. Thirdly how wou;d your charcter be set up, althiugh this could be considered a few question in itself. I ask simple what does it involve to have a character created for this thread and what restrictions apply, e.g. are you limted in what your character can be or is it as carefree as imagine will allow, etc.
This thread is pretty much a story-driven bloodbath. The closest thread to it that I can think of is Bakan’s Onslaught thread. However, the important difference between this thread and most other threads on this board is that everyone dies. Unlike most threads, where the RPers escape from impossible odds with few if any scratches, in Hero’s Epitaph every RPer will die. Eventually, anyway. The trick is to survive for as long as possible, and take as many of them down with you as possible.

However, death for an RPer’s main character is not the end. On the contrary, as long as Fort Solifax is still held, RPers will have the opportunity to control a new character. At first, the RPers will control their main character. With this main character, RPers can also create up to four other “minor” character to accompany their hero into battle. Upon the main character’s death, RPers will take control of one of their minor characters, and then the next, and so on. When all of the minor characters are dead, RPers will have to result to playing as an average NPC guard. Obviously, as an incentive to keep people from recklessly getting killed right away, the minor characters are weaker than the main character, and most of the NPC guards are little better than goblin bait. Note that you don’t have to have four minor characters, but four is the maximum, and it is generally a good idea to have as many warm bodies between you and the enemy as possible.

Eventually, all of the RPers’ characters will be dead, the NPC guards will be dead, and Fort Solifax will fall. Bartus will go back in time to try to fix things once more, and the thread will restart. And then everyone will have a chance to do things differently, from different characters to different tactics, in an attempt to hold the fort for one more day than the last time. Certainly this will only happen once or twice before things get old, although I hope to change things around enough to keep things new and interesting even on the third or fourth time through. It is also possible that the defenders of Fort Solifax will be victorious, but I wouldn’t place any money on that.

The thread itself will run on two different standards: one for individual combat, and one for army vs. army. Individual combat will be the RPers taking matters into their own hands, drawing their weapons, and charging into battle to hack apart a few orcs. This will largely be very freeform, with the only limitations being a handful of stats (as in, how many times you can beat a crappy sword against quality plate armor before it breaks), and post quality. I will be DMing the thread, so if you do something rather daring, like take on and kill ten orcs in one post, you had better back it up with a high quality post, or prepare to suffer the consequences.

For the army on army sections, I will be using heavy stats to determine casualties taken on both sides. Good post quality can sometimes improve things and make them swing in the RPers’ favor, but not nearly as much as in individual battles.

A character is set up by purchasing equipment for that character, and designing any special skills or spells that the character uses. Skills and spells can be anything you can think of, but they are subject to DM approval. No Nuclear Bomb spells, thank you very much. For equipment, characters are allowed to choose from an extensive list, ranging from low quality leather armor to high quality elven longswords. Main characters are given 400 gp to purchase items with, minor characters 200. Large blocks of NPC guardsmen can also be purchased, in the event that you are interested in participating in the army vs. army battles. The reason I am limiting equipment is I want the RPers to feel the hurt of being in a siege, so unless you scavenge over the dead between battles or are very careful with your equipment, you will soon find yourself without a weapon.

The characters themselves can be just about anything you desire, although I do place a few restrictions. Any of the standard fantasy races are automatically acceptable. Anything exceptionally unusual will have to be cleared with me first. Note that angels and demons are out, at least not without heavy modifications on my part. Undead and necromancers are very rare, especially after the Undead War that took place in the world several hundred years ago. If you can give me a very good explanation for why your necromancer vampire is fighting in a hopeless last stand and can survive in direct sunlight, however, I might consider allowing it. The same goes for any other especially unusual character design, such as a werewolf, minotaur, lizardman, etc.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 14:11   #14
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

I think this might be fun, so i'll join and try to take down as many orcs as possible.

oh and since a nuclear bomb spell isn't allowed, i'll just have to settle for a anti-matter blast spell

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 17:01   #15
Dunin Hemm
Bärsärkarvarg

Can we forsake our minor characters and get their gold?

Will riders have any place in this siege?

Last edited by Dunin Hemm; 16 Feb 2004 at 14:44.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 17:36   #16
Zappa Tenderlea
Grote Boze Rocker

Zappa Tenderlea is infamous around these partsZappa Tenderlea is infamous around these parts

I'd be up for it... altough if you have something like that, could we see some documentation on the world, and specialy it's history? prolly have my main char, or one of it's followers be a loremaster, prolly the follower, confident that the main char, a great hero (and if I can come up with a good enough story a special breed) will lead the armies of light to victory, and that he, as private loremaster, will have the enormous privelage of writing down the tale of how the evil hordes were defeated, ya know but such a char would need to know a lot about history, and I'd be able to use that historic knowledge in creating my chars

I have but one wish: to see you all rot in hell before I trade this life for eternity

The truth can't hurt you, it's just like the dark, it scares you wittless, but in time you see things clear and stark
Zappa Tenderlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 22:17   #17
King Cress
King of ALL Cress

King Cress is infamous around these partsKing Cress is infamous around these parts

i dont think ill have any followers, i prefer to be a loner :gollum:

and ill be using the crappest weapon i can get my hands on

Guitar Rules
King Cress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2004, 05:46   #18
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i have petitioned tirelessly (ok, possibly tiredly and infrequently, but still) for the return of this thread. Posting for novelty value.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2004, 06:20   #19
Zorro
Awaiting RP Revival

Zorro is on a distinguished road

hmmm............judging by how much everyone talks about this, i say ill give it a whirl as well
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 13:45   #20
MrWhite

MrWhite is infamous around these partsMrWhite is infamous around these parts

OK I'm In
MrWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 17:56   #21
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Update: I am finally about halfway done with the maps of the Fort. This is good, because hopefully it will mean that I can keep track of where everyone is easier. Some small modifications to the weapon and armor lists are still needed, but they are done as well, more or less.
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 18:20   #22
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Bakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the rough

YaY!
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 18:49   #23
Zappa Tenderlea
Grote Boze Rocker

Zappa Tenderlea is infamous around these partsZappa Tenderlea is infamous around these parts
thank you mister Inspectre sir, for your undying resolve and great courage which, so it seems to me, is needed to create such a wonderfull thread, and see it trough to the end, of wich I have no doubt in that neverbeating cold black heart of mine. it is for this reason that I can give you my word, we shall see this thread trough to the end aswell!

for honour! for glory! for roleplaying! for an end to boredom!

FREEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!

[ooc} if this isn't peptalk, I don't know what is![ooc]

I have but one wish: to see you all rot in hell before I trade this life for eternity

The truth can't hurt you, it's just like the dark, it scares you wittless, but in time you see things clear and stark
Zappa Tenderlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 18:57   #24
Spritely Zombie
Gokan Re... Um... undead?

Spritely Zombie will become famous soon enoughSpritely Zombie will become famous soon enough

Hmmm... Count me in.

*Starts thinking of reasons to have a Necromancer minor character*
Spritely Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 18:58   #25
Dunin Hemm
Bärsärkarvarg

Huzzah!

Last edited by Dunin Hemm; 11 Mar 2004 at 19:21.
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 21:17   #26
General D. Eath
General Extraordinaire

General D. Eath is just really niceGeneral D. Eath is just really niceGeneral D. Eath is just really niceGeneral D. Eath is just really nice

very interesting, id like to try it

[13:32:16] <mintos> girls are hot ok

[22:47] <Sir_Walrus> Homoerotic innuendo just isn't as fun without Heiro.
General D. Eath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 21:42   #27
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

As a note, as I have mentioned this to some people in PMs, but not in this thread, necromancers and undead are looked down upon very badly in this world. Several hundred years ago, a powerful Necromancer raised an extremely massive and powerful army of undead, and attempted to conquer the world with them. Eventually, he was defeated, but ever since then most people are deathly afraid of necromancy/undead. So yeah . . . you can have a necormancer character if you want, but s/he better be careful and keep most of his/her work in the closet, eh?
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 17:20   #28
Ryon Jkar
Prince of the Dawn

Ryon Jkar is infamous around these partsRyon Jkar is infamous around these parts

I'll join
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 18:58   #29
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspectre
As a note, as I have mentioned this to some people in PMs, but not in this thread, necromancers and undead are looked down upon very badly in this world. Several hundred years ago, a powerful Necromancer raised an extremely massive and powerful army of undead, and attempted to conquer the world with them. Eventually, he was defeated, but ever since then most people are deathly afraid of necromancy/undead. So yeah . . . you can have a necormancer character if you want, but s/he better be careful and keep most of his/her work in the closet, eh?
Less talking, more working

Unless the talking is you posting up the guidelines to which we can MAKE characters and start this fine thread