User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 17 Nov 2010, 10:56   #1
MadwoG

MadwoG has a spectacular aura aboutMadwoG has a spectacular aura about
Bring Back 3 tick Landings

Righteo.. now before you got..

'omg farming etc etc'

now give it a chance.. the reason i suggest this is simple.. at the moment you send a fleet to attack a planet.. it spends 8 to 10 hours in transit.. and when it arrives. they only sit there for 1 hour? that doesnt make sence to me.. its not good business.. if i was gonna bother to spend 8hrs travel i'd wanna stay there a little longer.. anyways besides my pointess blabber.. i'll get to the point..

bring back 3 tick landings.. and 6 tick defence

now of course im not proposing to get 25% cap every tick your there.. but.. 25% over the 3 ticks.. so if your target gets defence arrive 1 tick after your first landing.. you grab 8.3% roids and run.
easy as that.
or maybe.. bump the cap rate to say 40% over 3 ticks.. and then grab 13% max cap a tick..
somethin like that..

anyways i reackon it will bring a new angle to the game and the way attacking and defending is done.

and i know.. people are gonna whinge that having 6 tick defence is going to stuff up attacks.. but to me i reackon anyone who has his fleet tied up for 6 ticks defending makes a good target.

anyways

chill

-ma****
MadwoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2010, 11:50   #2
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bring Back 3 tick Landings

Nahhh.
Unread 17 Nov 2010, 20:16   #3
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

same as Kenny
Unread 18 Nov 2010, 21:25   #4
peanuts

peanuts is an unknown quantity at this point

yea the old pa was so much better, im all for 3 tick attacks
peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2010, 22:16   #5
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

Why not travel there with your fleet and roid them until you recall the fleet? Makes much more sense to me! Conquer & deplete their resources I say!

This works fine. They changed it to one tick for a reason, and in my opinion it was an improvement.
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2010, 00:30   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What reason was that again?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2010, 09:59   #7
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Dont see why they couldnt try it for a round unless someone can come up with a valid reason

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2010, 11:02   #8
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of

Nostalgic as it would be I don't think i would actually like it. you would lose the ability to scan at eta 4 and then ignore pa until the evening (not that I do ofc) you would now have to scan at eta 2 to know if u can land the whole 3 ticks, equally you may have to do several calcs as defence accumulates and additionally working out if earlier defence will still be there, its all just added complexity.
Unread 19 Nov 2010, 13:32   #9
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

If you increase the number of asteroids 'floating about', and decrease the cap rate - it could work. Although, 3 tick roidings work better with half-hour ticks. Imagine launching a BS fleet, to land 3 ticks. That's you pretty much done for the day. That's crap! You should have more to do in PA to keep activity up, not less. And lol, 24 hours for a defense mission?

The fewer ticks spent at any one planet on any one attack, the faster the overall game will be.

What will happen to alliance raids? The bigger alliances aren't going to hit the same planet for 9 ticks in a row (3 'waves') or they'll have bugger all people home for any raids the next day, unless of course the people on the 3rd wave were quite content to be 3rd wave every time they launch. So, instead of doing multiple waves, they'll just hit more people. So yes, this will favour the top alliances more without requiring any extra activity from them.

Tell you what though, if you want to remove prelaunch and do a round of half-hour ticks - I'd play that round with your 3 tick attacks and 6 tick defs!

...if you made asteroids cheaper to initiate without compromising their yield.
Unread 19 Nov 2010, 20:17   #10
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

3 tick attacks worked fine with 1 hour ticks - and requires "extra" activity in re-calculating each tick of the attack to take account of losses (on both sides) and of arrival of extra fleets and departure of those already present.

I used to enjoy the need to make a decision each tick as to whether or not it was worth staying. This applies to both the attacker(s) and defender(s). It was altogether a more intresting game to play "back then".

I agree with you on the removal of pre-launch (at least for attacks) - but changing to 30 minute ticks would result in me quitting the game (possibly the only way to make me do that).

/me prepares for the inevitable comments.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2010, 20:32   #11
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

Ship efficiencies would also need to be toned down. SK ratio would have to be lowered, as been pointed out cr/bs ETA should be lowered (early round taking 13+12+3 ticks for one attack is way too long).

In my opinion it adds an extra layer of complexity which I personally don't want (and probably a lot of others don't either), but it'd also be more confusing to new players than simple 1-tick attacks (not that we're getting many at the moment!).
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2010, 20:51   #12
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
half-hour ticks
lol
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2010, 21:41   #13
t3k
The Video Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
lol
Too far, huh?
Unread 20 Nov 2010, 06:48   #14
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Used to be, you could set a 3 tick attack (or 6 tick defense) and needed to be there, play-by-play, to make a decision to stay or recall after x amount of ticks. That was cool. It was involving, and required activity and thought.

You might get 2 ticks of roids, but get pasted the last tick, or you might get 4 ticks of defense then have to pull the last two. Bottom line was, combat took time, and you needed to be paying attention to it.

As much as getting up in the night to jgp or check mails is a pain, you couldn't just "one-off" it back then, and then go back to sleep like you can now. As long as you log in at :55, you're good.

Back in the day, it was more of a "siege" type of gameplay...which is great, provided it doesn't happen at 4am. Which, more often than not, it does now.

There's an "instant gratification" factor that hasn't been addressed in PA. Covert Ops was not the solution to that. Middle of the night antics that ruin people's lives--but make for "interesting" game play--isn't that either.

What is, I don't know.

Throwing things back to the cavemen times, certainly isn't (IMHO) an option...

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2010, 07:43   #15
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

being landed on during 3 ticks was fine when the universe was so huge you could spend an entire round without hitting the same planet twice.
Now imagine what it would be with the small universe and the piggys.

For those who didn't play those early rounds, you could attack UP TO 3 ticks, meaning you chose before launching how many ticks you would spend on the target. There was some strategy in getting the defenders to cover for 3 ticks when you would not even land. But it was also a time when you could mass 'uninitiated' roids (people had to initiate them at an increasing cost if they wanted to get resources), and launching had a cost in Eonium... and you could steal all the roids on a planet leaving it with 0.

It worked in a context that can't be brought back. Now if the idea is to steal the same amount of roids over 3 ticks instead of 1, is there any interest at all ?
Unread 20 Nov 2010, 07:54   #16
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Could steal all the roids? I dont remember that (maybe in r1, when i wasn't there). With the 3 tick attacks, you could steal 15% per tick. But the tsteal % was calculated over the LEFT OVER roids (I still have the juror bcalc somewhere :P)

Also, like in round 10 (but slightly different), cap depended on the fleet value you sent. If you sent overkill, your cap was reduced ^^
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2010, 10:56   #17
Makhil

you couldn't steal all of them at once but you could reduce the roid count of a planet to 0, in R3.
Unread 23 Nov 2010, 12:15   #18
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma**** View Post
Righteo.. now before you got..

'omg farming etc etc'

now give it a chance.. the reason i suggest this is simple.. at the moment you send a fleet to attack a planet.. it spends 8 to 10 hours in transit.. and when it arrives. they only sit there for 1 hour? that doesnt make sence to me.. its not good business.. if i was gonna bother to spend 8hrs travel i'd wanna stay there a little longer.. anyways besides my pointess blabber.. i'll get to the point..

bring back 3 tick landings.. and 6 tick defence

now of course im not proposing to get 25% cap every tick your there.. but.. 25% over the 3 ticks.. so if your target gets defence arrive 1 tick after your first landing.. you grab 8.3% roids and run.
easy as that.
or maybe.. bump the cap rate to say 40% over 3 ticks.. and then grab 13% max cap a tick..
somethin like that..

anyways i reackon it will bring a new angle to the game and the way attacking and defending is done.

and i know.. people are gonna whinge that having 6 tick defence is going to stuff up attacks.. but to me i reackon anyone who has his fleet tied up for 6 ticks defending makes a good target.

anyways

chill

-ma****
I am not dismissing this out of hand, it has merits:

However

Pre-Launch is the big bug in the ointment, and the fact that often alliance attacks are set for the same time night after night.

So if you know for instance that an alliance usually sets it's first wave at 3am (GMT) you could send get your alliance to cover a 6 tick period from 2am onwards, that would cover it.

Multiple waves of attacks would no longer be viable, considering that wave 1 could be a 3 tick job, then wave 2 would etc... this again would make cover defence a lot easier.

The only way this could work would be for Pre-Launch to be removed completely.
Unread 24 Nov 2010, 12:43   #19
HRH_H_Crab
Jazz Maverick

HRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud of

3 Tick Landings?!

3 Month long round, round 4 rules, free for all or stfu.
I'm going science.
HRH_H_Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2010, 02:08   #20
DigitalZero
Round 1er

DigitalZero will become famous soon enoughDigitalZero will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH_H_Crab View Post
3 Tick Landings?!

3 Month long round, round 4 rules, free for all or stfu.
I'm going science.
amen brother

Round 1 - 6: NewDawn
- 3,4,5 - ND HC
Round 7: NeMeSiS
Round 8,9: ND..then retired
Round 12: return to PA. NewDawn
Round 13 - Present: NewDawn, 35+ HC.

PA-Radio!!!
DigitalZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2010, 15:40   #21
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

- bring back 3 tick landing.
- bring back all game mechanics that made the original pa a fantastic, succesful game.
- remove all features implemented in R10-now that made it worse than shit.
- remove the incapable people running things now.

but i fear it's too late already. spinner: get that new game up and running please!
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote