User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 14 Jul 2010, 00:42   #151
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future
Re: If I could make three changes to Planetarion, they'd be .....

The game needs a vision, no doubt. A path ahead, and probably 1, ONE, person making sure any and all changes help the game towards the vision.
In the business, this is what we call a Director or in some companies a Producer.
At the very least, it should have 1 person in charge of game-design (Not graphics, but the design of the mechanics or systems).
Unfortunately, without dedicated full-time staff such a vision is very hard to get in place and near impossible to follow through.
So, unless things change when it comes to the owners involvement, this will never be the case again.

Realistically, I think the best road ahead lies in figuring out exactly what PA is TODAY, the core of the game (rather than a vision of what it should be in the future), and focus further development on making the core game-play more fun / better balanced / better-looking / better whatever.
If the core is combat and stealing roids, then make that more fun. If the core is politics, make sure everyone is involved and make it more fun / better / more challenging / more visible etc.
That said, I do think it is of paramount importance to go over the information-flow and requirements of new players. I have written enough about this in previous posts.

With a narrow focus on those two areas for a while, I think the time is ready to shift all the focus on plain marketing. Force the owners to spend every dime of income from one round on advertising. I have several suggestions on how to market Planetarion based on a no-cure-no-pay model, which means it's free until you actually make some money from someone (give away a cut of the income, 50% of something is more than 100% of nothing), and I know several ways of driving more users into Planetarion...It's not even hard...It just takes a little effort from the owners, some emails and some phonecalls and a little detective-work...

With AD in the early stages of production though, it doesn't make sense for me to help out too much here. But I still wish PA to live...

All the best.

- Spinner
Unread 14 Jul 2010, 01:53   #152
DigitalZero
Round 1er

DigitalZero will become famous soon enoughDigitalZero will become famous soon enough

- A portal where you only sign up once, with one account and access the entirety of this game...

- Possible social network integration to bring the player base up.

... Planetarion was fun in its prime, round 4 for example, when we literally had a bunch of players playing. Many other game are still free, pay to upgrade for a week, etc... I will be playing PA til it dies, but if we can resurrect the player base, it wont have too.

Round 1 - 6: NewDawn
- 3,4,5 - ND HC
Round 7: NeMeSiS
Round 8,9: ND..then retired
Round 12: return to PA. NewDawn
Round 13 - Present: NewDawn, 35+ HC.

PA-Radio!!!
DigitalZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2010, 08:35   #153
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalZero View Post
- A portal where you only sign up once, with one account and access the entirety of this game...

- Possible social network integration to bring the player base up.

... Planetarion was fun in its prime, round 4 for example, when we literally had a bunch of players playing. Many other game are still free, pay to upgrade for a week, etc... I will be playing PA til it dies, but if we can resurrect the player base, it wont have too.
We are still working towards point 1), point 2) you mean facebook, but facebook has (had) some major privacy issues so this is not so straight forward

You can still play the game pretty well for free -free accounts are competitive, but most people upgrade still because it's so cheap. I think we'd all like more players [apart from the ticker ]
Unread 14 Jul 2010, 14:18   #154
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Radical idea:

Stop developing the pax platform, keep it running for a couple of rounds with just changed stats & bugfixes if needed.

During that time develop a completly new pa from scratch.
Before you do that though, be sure to figure out yourself what you (pa-team / zpeti) actually want to do with the game.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2010, 16:16   #155
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
The game needs a vision, no doubt. A path ahead, and probably 1, ONE, person making sure any and all changes help the game towards the vision.
In the business, this is what we call a Director or in some companies a Producer.
At the very least, it should have 1 person in charge of game-design (Not graphics, but the design of the mechanics or systems).
Unfortunately, without dedicated full-time staff such a vision is very hard to get in place and near impossible to follow through.
So, unless things change when it comes to the owners involvement, this will never be the case again.

Realistically, I think the best road ahead lies in figuring out exactly what PA is TODAY, the core of the game (rather than a vision of what it should be in the future), and focus further development on making the core game-play more fun / better balanced / better-looking / better whatever.
If the core is combat and stealing roids, then make that more fun. If the core is politics, make sure everyone is involved and make it more fun / better / more challenging / more visible etc.
That said, I do think it is of paramount importance to go over the information-flow and requirements of new players. I have written enough about this in previous posts.

With a narrow focus on those two areas for a while, I think the time is ready to shift all the focus on plain marketing. Force the owners to spend every dime of income from one round on advertising. I have several suggestions on how to market Planetarion based on a no-cure-no-pay model, which means it's free until you actually make some money from someone (give away a cut of the income, 50% of something is more than 100% of nothing), and I know several ways of driving more users into Planetarion...It's not even hard...It just takes a little effort from the owners, some emails and some phonecalls and a little detective-work...

With AD in the early stages of production though, it doesn't make sense for me to help out too much here. But I still wish PA to live...

All the best.

- Spinner
ohh why did u sell the game

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2010, 17:18   #156
Cowch
Moo

Cowch is on a distinguished road

How about we let people choose between 72 hour or 24 hour protection time? It lets noobs or late starters get a handle on things before the incs roll in.
Cowch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2010, 17:40   #157
DigitalZero
Round 1er

DigitalZero will become famous soon enoughDigitalZero will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster View Post
We are still working towards point 1), point 2) you mean facebook, but facebook has (had) some major privacy issues so this is not so straight forward

You can still play the game pretty well for free -free accounts are competitive, but most people upgrade still because it's so cheap. I think we'd all like more players [apart from the ticker ]

I was being sort of a smart ass with this post. When Pete bought PA, we were promised all these things... then we don't even hear a word from our owner anymore. What is the state PA is in, where is it going? At this moment, it is a dying breed, with players who love the game that continue to stick with it. Wish we had that playerbase back, thats all... or an owner that will tell us what to expect. A suggestion I can make is:

Back in the beginning rounds of PA, the winners received prizes, not just credits are prizes. I think one round, a PS2 was given away; after it became to expensive for bigger items such as that, PA started giving away t-shirts, mugs, mouse pads, etc... to the winners. I think you should bring this idea back. In all of my geekdome, I would were a shirt that says "Planetarion Round 37: Winner!" or even a general PA shirt! I'd even dip my cookies in that blasted mug. Bring back these prizes!

Round 1 - 6: NewDawn
- 3,4,5 - ND HC
Round 7: NeMeSiS
Round 8,9: ND..then retired
Round 12: return to PA. NewDawn
Round 13 - Present: NewDawn, 35+ HC.

PA-Radio!!!
DigitalZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2010, 22:20   #158
Tiamat101

Tiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the rough

Some Actual incentive would be cool.

Add more features to do during ticks. Right now its scan/covop/production, and most of those only take like 5 mins tops. So hows this Reduce Tick time to 30 min, and either extend or shorten eta's so that people don't have to wait 18h for a fleet to Land/get home.

Tech Tree is a great idea it forces variability and thats a good thing. If you can code in a way to make it so that players can chose more defensive planets or more offensive planet it would make the game VERY different. Right now EVERYONE has the same ships with the same stats and roughly the same proportions. But if you can find a way to upgrade your ship stats throughout the round then i'd say do it.

Also making Hero's/Generals/Legends What ever would also be helpful with abilitys like 1) Rogue steals at init 5 2) Gain 10% salvage from defending
3) Cap 7.5% extra Roids when landing etc...

Just things that would make planets different. Also have Gov play a much bigger Role in things that just % increase/decrease Have ships that are specific to that government. Or Research specific to that gov.

There are Tons of ways to make the game more variable and some of them seem like easy coding.
Tiamat101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2010, 01:21   #159
Cowch
Moo

Cowch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat101 View Post
Just things that would make planets different. Also have Gov play a much bigger Role in things that just % increase/decrease Have ships that are specific to that government. Or Research specific to that gov.
It would be interesting to have a more customizable fleet. If race gave you one type of ship, government another and eventually you could research an ability. Maybe start Cath emp; add a few bash ships with a totalitarian government and finish off with a research that adds cloaking to your fighters... or something. It's interesting at least.
Cowch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2010, 06:53   #160
Tiamat101

Tiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the rough

Exactally Cowch We can have base ship stats for every race but then gov will add one ship research can add one ship. Just as a start see where it takes the game. Just makes it a bit more customizable.
Tiamat101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2010, 14:32   #161
AdmV0rl0n

AdmV0rl0n is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Add more features to do during ticks. Right now its scan/covop/production, and most of those only take like 5 mins tops. So hows this Reduce Tick time to 30 min, and either extend or shorten eta's so that people don't have to wait 18h for a fleet to Land/get home.

Tech Tree is a great idea it forces variability and thats a good thing. If you can code in a way to make it so that players can chose more defensive planets or more offensive planet it would make the game VERY different. Right now EVERYONE has the same ships with the same stats and roughly the same proportions. But if you can find a way to upgrade your ship stats throughout the round then i'd say do it.

Also making Hero's/Generals/Legends What ever would also be helpful with abilitys like 1) Rogue steals at init 5 2) Gain 10% salvage from defending

There are Tons of ways to make the game more variable and some of them seem like easy coding.

Quote:

Change salvage.
Make the % a bit higher - and make it dependant on size. So if a larger player bashes a smaller one, in simple terms increase the salvage amount for the smaller player. This reduces bashings.
Further, allow wreckage.
Wreckage would be a % of salvage that could be cannibalised. This would allow any player not just Zik to build up fleets of vessels other than their own type. Again, apply a percentage system on this so smaller players get a bigger foot up than larger ones, and where people being bashed can turn round and recover.
Allow players the choice on taking salvage or wreckage, and make wreckage slightly more costly of the two to utilise.
Unread 16 Jul 2010, 22:39   #162
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk100 View Post
I would like to see a system like in Travian where you can assign 2 other persons to be able to do simple things on your planet. Maybe the only thing they should be able to do is to recall your fleets. Maybe they should be able to do more...
Unread 17 Jul 2010, 18:17   #163
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmV0rl0n View Post
Change salvage.
Make the % a bit higher - and make it dependant on size. So if a larger player bashes a smaller one, in simple terms increase the salvage amount for the smaller player. This reduces bashings.
Further, allow wreckage.
Wreckage would be a % of salvage that could be cannibalised. This would allow any player not just Zik to build up fleets of vessels other than their own type. Again, apply a percentage system on this so smaller players get a bigger foot up than larger ones, and where people being bashed can turn round and recover.
Allow players the choice on taking salvage or wreckage, and make wreckage slightly more costly of the two to utilise.
the general theme is this post is already done.

Score Modifier = 50%*(1-your_planet_score/average_top20_planet_score)
Total Salvage
Total Salvage = base_salvage * (1 + race_bonus/100)) * (1 + score_modifier/100)

In general, smaller people get more salvage. also, 50% is pretty high
Unread 27 Jul 2010, 23:31   #164
BlackDog
ND's Honourary Welshman

BlackDog is on a distinguished road

1. Graphics! Let us see some of the battles for once instead of looking at a page of numbers! Some kind of interactive battle report where you can watch the attackers and defenders shooting at each other!

2. A much larger amount of random variables in the game. Surely there can't be many users out there who like the predictability of the current battle system - for goodness sake there can be absolutely no chance of drawing new players into the game if every single attack can be calculated by an alliance to within 1% of the ships that will be lost, the values of the resourcess and whether an attack is worth it or not. Make the game almost totally unsuitable for all current ancillary tools, battle calcs, parsers and the like.

3. A much more customisable tech system, allow for resource spending on ship upgrades (number of guns weapon types and so on), resource spending to improve the effectiveness of constructions (on a basic level this could be something like a resource cost for the types of scans that distorters can block but this could be advanced much further). Development scans also to show the types of ship upgrades applied and so on

4. Less mathematics / formulae published in the manual - telling the palyers exactly how the stats work for every single angle of the game before ticks start is nonsense!

5. Some kind of salvage ship / cargo haluer / structure stealer as an accompaniment.

I realise that some of the suggestions made are quite vague, but who knows. With new owners maybe we can see something of a new direction for PA
Unread 28 Jul 2010, 00:26   #165
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

I'm curious: this thread was created shortly after Jagex started to get involved - was this their idea?
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2010, 05:49   #166
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Now i fully realise this is a text base game and too much graphics would pull it out of the genre its in, i'm not thinking spectacular, and certainly not mandatory, banners used to do this, but theese days banners tend not to be the works of art they were, rarely do they have a *ooh look at that* apart from when someones tried to put in something with a naked woman in it, i personally miss the old tech tree, it had something about it.
Every suggestion here has been about gameplay.

so just some optional stuff to make people smile and to connect them more to their planet/account and in turn to the community as a whole

A basic ship design for one of the ships in each race - with the ability to customise the colours of your fleet and the ability to post your customised ship picture, maybe with the ability to write your planet name on the side, or maybe put a picture on the side, something like the old WW2 american flying fortresses, or the old fighter aces that would paint their number of kills on the side.

Alliances could put their logo on, players could put their nick on, something even the newest player can look at and feel proud of.

Basically the ability to personalise it and make it your fleet.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2010, 07:44   #167
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

1. Change the color of covered calls on the ally def page (xan green or something) this would make it quicker to look through a bunch of incommings and see where to send.

2. Adding to the General/Hero/Legend idea which is really good make it so these 'upgrades' are only available after a criteria has been acheived in a battle. Wether on defence or attack ie. Kill 50% of attacking ships on defence, land on a planet twice your score. make it so these 'people' are gained through battle like what would happen in reality and make them a ship that has to go with your fleet to gain there bonus in battle. They can be killed but they are last ship to die of whatever class they are
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2010, 09:00   #168
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellonweb View Post
I'm curious: this thread was created shortly after Jagex started to get involved - was this their idea?
im wondering the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
1) reward attackers with xp for killing ships - make landing on defence more profitable, stop counting xp to score but use it instead to buy ressources/research/construction
2) 30% roidcap for small planets hitting big guys
3) reduce amount of ressources which can be donated
that was my gameplay changes i would do which doesnt require much coding

now some more i would do, looking we have a new owner

1) implement gfx, like see your planet with constructions on it, see the factories, the wave distorter, the mines, the finance centers - all could have some cuddly gfx which make it look nice

2) ASAP get Planetarion linked to JAGEX Homepage, showing its on of their games now

3) gfx for every used ship, so ppl have an idea what their ships look like

4) remove races and return to an prepax techtree
- have ppl decide if they wanna research kill or steal ships, emp or cloaked ships, all waves or all mining all covops or full eta
> make the game more invividual and less predictable

5) dont ever implement random factors again (e.g. roid scanning), dont listen to ppl suggesting it, random events lead to an unfair game with not everyone having the same chances

6) show gfx of the galaxy, with a cuddly gfx for every planet + have some not terraformed planets in each galaxy (maybe 2)

7) stop exiling, remove it - instead allow building of a mothership to allow ppl leaving their planet (abondon it) and move to a new galaxy (those not terraformed planets i mentioned in 6) - they would ofc loose all their constructions as they are on the old planets, but since they would know to leave em behing they would get 75% of the building costs returned in ressources (recycling) > basically it would be like late starting now, apart from that u keep your researches and your roids (the mothership will transport your roids to the new planet) - the left behind planet, can be populated by another mothership again

8) introduce cluster speed bonus again, for attack and defence, maybe have 5 gals each cluster only - cluster alliances were the most fun in pa history

9) full random gals

10) remove xp like it is, but have it as currency instead see here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
i agree
and i made a list of some possible rewards for trading in xp (ofc value will be score with that concept and xp only counts as currency)

1K XP 100k each ressource or 500 research points or 250 construction points or 2 each roid or +2 alert or security

5K XP 1 million each res or 5000 research points or 2500 construction points or 20 each roid or +20 alert or security or change gov (limited to 1 time a round)

10K XP 3 million each res or 15000 research points or 7500 construction points
11) redo the quest system - modernize the rewards (con points, res points etc...)

12) allow alliances to go to war with each other - hitting hostile alliances planets give more xp and you can cap up to 35% roids (30% normal - see in my original suggestion)

13) the alliance points is a interesting thing, but without having a reward it may just end like population, dont let it get that far, at least give 3 free credits to the alliance with the most "POINTS" at the end of round

14) ingal defence system like alliance defence system

15) howering over a planet on the new galaxy gfx page allows to see a message from that planet, which every individual can edit on his preferences - that way e.g. " attack me and i retal you" or "This planet is habitaded by midgets" whatever, it will be something to seperate your planet from your neighbours, more then just planetname and rulername - allow ppl having an avatar/lil gfx on it aswell

16) why does my fleet have to return to the home planet after every combat ? allow research of additional orders, allow fleets to attack planet1 then planet2 then planet3 and then finally return home - up to 3 orders should be able to be queued and can ofc be canceled any time or redone
aka your flying to 1:1:1 ur eta4 from there, then u notice the freakin planet is been defended, so you order your ships to fly to ur second target instead (3:3:3) - ur eta (original) again and flying there - after 3 succesful or not succesful attempts you have to return home to refill petrol (or whatever our spaceships use )

17) remove salvage or give to attackers aswell - either way

18) galfund transactions take 3 ticks, alliancefund transactions 6 ticks and universal transactions 9 ticks and they require you having a transport fleet (they dont waste a fleetslot, but with 1 transport ship you can lets say trade 1 mil ressources), so u need a transport fleet to do transactions

AMEN

P.s. sorry for the wall of text and thx for reading

12)

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
Unread 28 Jul 2010, 09:47   #169
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post

All the best.

- Spinner
A huge advantage the new owner has, is that might already have a "fanbase" that is eager to play or try out games released by this developper. So apart from trying to attain the current memberbase of Planetarion, they should delve into their own and motivate them to try out this game. This could indeed be done with little effort.

E.g. offer a free round with every purchase of another, perhaps slightly related, game they develop.

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2010, 13:34   #170
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Seeing as I can't be arsed rephrasing everything I've ever said on PA over the years (and given that maybe jagex are actually reading this it might now be worth posting something) I'm just going to repost the main things I've said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
I posted this about two years ago on the pa development forum (yeah there is one, no it's not really used for much). I thought I'd actually posted it publically since then but apparently not. As such I thought I'd post it now, maybe with the changeover in the ownership of pa some things will actually get done. It's basically a list of ideas, some of which have actually been implemented in piecemeal fashion, some of which have been mentioned before by others and some of which you might not have heard anything about. I hope this helps spark something off.

Above all else we are trying to create a game that we want to play when we're done. I would urge you when reading this to consider later points which may counteract problems you find apparent with certain proposals.

The most important thing about a game is the authentic vision that you have for the gameplay itself. Far too often in PA we get bogged down in details and balancing issues which are nothing at all to do with game development. Game development is the key idea behind the game you're creating.

Primarily Planetarion is a space-based wargame. This is a multi-layered statement. It is a game, there is competition and there are winners and losers. It is a wargame, the mechanics of the game will provide for conflict between the participants. It is a space-based wargame, the background scenarios are those of interstellar conflict. When you are designing the game you need to relate back to these constantly.

The essential vision that I'm trying to follow is that of an indepth strategy based game. My model for this approach has been the hugely successful Total War series. Obviously there are differences but the key points remain that we want the surface features there to attract new players and the variety to gameplay to keep them.

In terms of surface features you are looking at what encourages people to logon frequently to check their planet once they've signed up and what integrates them into the community quickly. The approach here is manifold. A nationstates style interface with questions with a number of different outcomes, but with none being negative per se (ie res/cons/min bonuses) every 1-4 ticks could prove helpful here. More prominent ingame links to the forums with the possible addition of a specific newbie help forum (we had this before) being the initial forum linked to. Ingame polls, which light up similar to mail and news functions are also viable. The possibility of links to blogs/pictures/profiles, obviously optional, from ingame planets is also an approach to this problem, in that it creates an awareness of the people you are playing this game with outside the galaxy itself.

The readdition of quests could go a long way towards making the early part of a new player's round go easier and with the above listed surface features should prove more interesting. Other possible surface features include dynamic pictures of the planet/galaxy itself (higher levels of activity surround the bigger planets etc) and the (re)introduction of graphics for ships. The development of a background story for PA provides the sort of interest level likely to involve new planets to a greater extent.

In terms of gameplay there are a number of areas to focus on. A long-standing problem of Planetarion is the ingame geography, clusters, galaxies, parallels and so forth. Personally I see credit in three major approaches. First of all, the setup as it is. Second the abolition of galaxies and the introduction of a number, eg 15-20, of clusters providing no cluster status but becoming replaced with an alliance status. Third the creation alongside the current system of private galaxies, planets in which cannot be a member of an alliance. Personally I favour the recently proposed third option, to be found here. One vital point which helps to integrate players is the readdition of a -1 cluster ETA for attacking.

Another area is the general limitations placed on creativity, both on a planetary level in terms of the ships possible to produce and in terms of possible fleet "missions". We are going to introduce components, from which players can choose to assemble their own ship types. The insistence we have on balance is not a necessity, obviously violent imbalance is bad for the game but our main focus should be the creation of fun stats, not balanced stats. Remember this is a game.

As regards fleet missions I am going to refer to Total War here slightly. Obviously it is impossible for us to run battles in real-time but the introduction of fleet formations adjustable from, for example, eta 1 to eta 0 which give bonuses to fleet performance (I'd see a maximum of a 10% bonus here). A scan indicating the relative fleet formations opposite you could also be introduced. The keypoint here is to introduce depth to the game without making additional activity an absolute necessity to do even vaguely well.

Similarly in order to introduce depth the previously mentioned concept of "outposts" or "colonies" emerges. There are different ways to approach this idea, possibility of score, resources or eta bonuses. I'm proposing a combination of the first and third ideas. Alliances, and possibly private galaxies if those were introduced, can fight battles for outposts, which are unplayable planets located in particular clusters. The best approach would be the creation of a specific ship which if it does a certain amount of "damage" would take over the outpost for the alliance of the players attacking it (the possibility of two alliances attacking the outpost in the same tick exists, you can decide who claims it based on value or "damage" done). Alternatively, and this is how it will most likely look in the short-term outposts are buildable and destroyable, not capturable. These outposts would give a separate, undestroyable score boost to the alliance itself as long as it still controls it. The outpost would also give an ETA bonus of -1 to anyone in that alliance sending defence or attacking in that cluster. Most probably the best approach in terms of sending defence to the outpost itself would be on a -2 ETA bonus as opposed to the standard -1 bonus in-cluster. Also a similar value-based cap on whose alliance you can attack would probably be involved. Details in such a new area are obviously open to fine-tuning, the key point is the introduction of an extra element which provides an incentive to interact with an alliance both in terms of "fun" and an advantage ingame.

A new method of playing different to the conventional planet paradigm has been proposed by bashar/kloopy. "Pirates" would be accounts without planets but with ships which can "intercept" fleets moving throughout the universe and then use the components present in these ships to assemble their own ones based off salvage from the battle. You can initially choose this way of playing or later on select an option to move to it. The main thrust of the concept is to provide an alternate, and preferably slightly difficult and requiring real skill, way of playing to conventional Planetarion. Potentially this will reattract previous players who quit due to lack of variation in the game itself but remain in the general community.

A wider range in terms of constructions and researches would be helpful in terms of keeping people interested. Ideally the initial few steps would be easy to follow, again the quest system resurfaces here, with more variation as you progress through the round. Introducing a queue system for The possibility of galaxy or alliance wide researches could be looked at as well. Again we're aiming at giving people incentives for interacting with others in the game beyond some bizzare demand on their time as being due to new players.

One new element that should go a long way in this area is the introduction of trade routes. Trade routes are routes, of a limited number, that can be established between different members in a galaxy (or potentially cluster if we went that way) which can be proposed by one player and then accepted by the target of the trade route. The originator gains a research/construction time bonus and the target gains a certain percentage of the originator's income per tick extra (the originator doesn't lose resources, those new resources are "wealth created" due to the presence of the trade route). The principle here is that a big planet can get a bonus that will be beneficial almost regardless of the point in the round, and a new planet gets a boost that gets it up and running quicker. You could also alter it slightly so that both gain research bonuses due to the trade route (the option of different types eg scientific, commercial comes into play here). Along this same theme one angle to consider is galaxy gained score for defence fleets sent ingal or attacks sent to the same galaxy, basically rewarding people for co-operation but more as a whole than individually.

There are a number of problematical areas we are confronted with that have arisen due to the way the game has moved, for example the development of scan planets. First of all I think we can all acknowledge that these are really not beneficial to the game (and trust me being a scanner is not much fun). However the tactic of dist-whoring is a way of rewarding active players so the existence of scan planets is necessary to counter this. What we can change is the way in which people can be so dependent on them. The introduction of a very early single ETA scan as outlined by keizari here is one potential way of dealing with it. Similarly constructions are slightly unbalanced and have lacked innovation since PAX. Alternate approaches have been outlined here. An important point is construction and research queueing, we have rewarded high activity in other areas, something like this is great as it means that a player can miss a week come back and their planet is different. This is more an area for the development team than part of the vision per se but recognising that we have problems is important.

Beyond the next round one potential idea is the introduction of land-based conflict. Personally I see these battles as occurring in real time using the speedgame server, between small teams of people (possibly limited to galaxies or alliances) of five-ten using the same combat engine but with basic modifications to fit in with the theme in terms of ships changing to vehicles and obvious alterations to the tech-tree making it more basic and advanced (in terms of where you start off). Considering the time element involved I would envision a two hour, one minute tick combat. You can offer various rewards for winning this conflict, resources, score etc. In terms of how they begin you can have them occuring on planets to which you send resource-gathering teams in a specific ship, obviously you'd require two (possibly more?) teams of people to have the combat at the same time. Possibly the best approach would be to have a ship launched seeking resources and then they only find a planet when another team also seeks resources.

Overall what we are trying to do is give Planetarion more variety in approaches to gameplay, more depth in terms of skill, more attractiveness on the surface and to put some originality into the game itself. To accomplish this we have to consider game development an ongoing process instead of the stop-start affair it sometimes becomes. Planetarion should be initially straightforward with the advantages of becoming more active and more involved apparent to everyone. Most importantly it has to be fun.
Quote:
This is an expansion off an earlier thread of mine, and caj's response and appoco's mild interest.

Basically you introduce a bunch of additional researches and tack them onto the end of the current research paths. Each of these additional research paths would disable all the others, or maybe you could do two of them or something I don't really mind. Research time would escalate as "normal".

Onto the end of the cov-ops tree: Overburn defence, Overburn attack, Stealth Attack (as explained in the above thread)

Onto the end of the core mining tree: 5% bonus on income, 10% bonus on income

Onto the end of the scans tree: Be able to build one ship belonging to other races, become able to build two ships belonging to other races.

Onto the end of the space travel tree: Two tick defences, two tick attacks.

Onto the end of the infrastructure tree: Enable new types of structures to be built (I haven't really thought this one through but salvage centres, improved types of basic structures (factories which prod twice as fast, fcs which give twice as big a bonus etc). You could have 1 or 2 or 3 of these researches each giving better bonuses

Onto the end of the hulls tree: 5% cheaper ships, 10% cheaper ships.

I didn't bother putting anything in for adding onto the end of the hct tree for obvious reasons. Maybe deathstars though!?!?!?!?!?!

I'd be interested to hear anyone's opinions on the viability of these, particularly pateam's heh. I've tried to make them as simple as possible in order to make coding viable. Nothing would happen that's particularly "new". I guess the two tick thing would require some new coding though. Suggestions on something to replace that would be welcome!
Quote:
There's a bit to say on this, most of it not exactly pleasant. First off building a game towards newbies is just pointless at the minute. Most of them don't bother playing for longer than a few days, few of those that do actually pay for the game, and the vast, vast majority don't stick around for more than one round. Simply put the game looks like shit and is so poorly laid out it's extremely difficult to actually get into. Seriously, load up the portal or your overview and try to imagine what it's like as a new player. The manual is an outmoded bunch of walls of text stuck together. You could probably read the entire ****ing thing, which would probably take about 6 hours, and still be almost no wiser as to how the people who do well at the game actually do it. Here, I'll write out some basic points that would be more useful than the manual.

RESEARCH SHIPS.
BUILD SHIPS.
DO NOT LOSE SHIPS.
ATTACK SMALLER PLANETS TO GAIN ROIDS.
JOIN YOUR GALAXY'S IRC CHANNEL (with an explanation on how to do this)
TALK TO YOUR GALAXY MATES
JOIN AN ALLIANCE

If you don't do all of these things there's pretty much no way you'll be playing the game for longer than a month as it's totally uninteresting without the alliance/galaxy meta-game.

Until these things are actually fixed I'd rather see pateam attempt to build a game that's better suited to the current playerbase, who are relatively active, wish they weren't and are fairly bored by the lack of changes. PA probably has a general base, ie people who would be willing to play a round, of some 2000 people, of whom maybe half actually play each round. If you can get say 1500 of these playing, and willing to stay fairly active for most of the round, it's really going to improve the quality of the game, and as such there's likely to be a small amount of growth. To be honest most of these players don't like total randomness. Total randomness is really just annoying with the amount of hours people put into the game. Even "slightly unpredictable battles" won't really add much. What Planetarion players do like is options. Different things to do with your fleet and different ways to do it. Give everyone more of that and they'll play a bit more.

One thing I definitely wouldn't do is try to address the situation by introducing a new and relatively complicated formula to the game. For those of us with short memories PAteam did this in r10 and gerbie ended up with 5 times the amount of score of the #2 planet because his 3 fighters killed ships belonging to a planet that was way bigger than his. The track record of implementation of such changes is diabolical, just look at this round and the butchered changes pateam, under the prompting of various alliance HC, forced on us. Well, first off they didn't address the "problem" they were trying to, as I know my alliance has fortress galaxies already (which I predicted pre-round and asked for total random galaxies to be introduced if they really wanted to stop it </blowingmyownhorn>). Luckily galaxies without active randoms are now utterly ****ed due to the fact that they don't have 4 people to do exiles in order to get active planets and pateam, in their wisdom, didn't bother reintroducing the galaxy disband. Fan-****ing-tastic. Although xp for different things might be interesting I have my doubts it'd actually make the game significantly more appealing and, given the likelihood of it all going totally fubar, probably not worth bringing in.

Edit (Appoco): Originally posted in response to posts here
and connected to the above one was:

Quote:
Right.

Step the very first: When you click a race on the signup screen it needs to tell you something about that race. This needs to be straightforward and not filled with waffle (put the sci-fi junk in the manual)

For example, Terran: Terrans have heavily armoured ships and can construct new buildings very fast. Their ability to research new technologies is average and their ability to perform covert-operations is weak. They also receive a moderate salvage bonus from destroyed ships during battles.

(No new player cares about the universe trade tax, seriously. They also don't care about precise statistics because they're not the guys who weigh things up with a calculator before deciding what to do.)

This needs to be on the signup page because it's the very first thing you see when you decide you want to play and it has a massive impact on your round.

Step the next in line:

1) Welcome to your planet. This is your base of operations and improving this planet is the point of the game.

2) To improve your planet you need to do 4 things. Research new technologies, construct new buildings, produce new ships using these two and then capture asteroids so you can build even more ships.

3) These things take time, you have start-up bonuses to help you. Go look at "the quests" to find out what order to best do them in (make the quests slightly more informative).

4) Your best advantage is your galaxy. Galaxies communicate via IRC, mail your galaxy mates to find out how to use this simple program. They will be able to give you advice on how best to build your planet. In the meanwhile click on the com-unit

These are the four steps that get people from "wtf is this incomprehensible shit" to where the game is actually played. If they don't like it fair enough but you have to at least get them there.

These need to be quick to read, easy to understand bullet points about how play PA. Even MrLobster's expansion is too long in my opinion. One basic link after/during each point is enough (so that people can find out more if they're interested in doing it). You should be almost "forced" to read it all in your first glance so you get that basic understand concerning how the game is played. This should be the very first page of the manual.

As an aside the manual is total gibberish. The covert-ops page is hysterical. You expect a new player to load that and read it? Jesus ****ing christ it's 1300 words and a bunch of formulae. Yes the details need to be there. No they should not be the first thing a new player reads. My advice would be to have a basic (again) quick to read, easy to understand manual and at the bottom of each page have a "do you want to know more" link which contains all the advanced stuff. Even the menu is miles too long. Forty options with almost no indication as to what's more important to read? Seriously?

As a secondary aside the production page, the research page and the construction page should all come with an advice "what should i produce/research/build" thing at the top of it.

Step the one that comes after the one before:

So you've used your start-up bonuses and you want to know what to do next? First of all some bad news for you, "protection" means you'll need to log back in tomorrow. Start <therightresearch> and queue <thenextone>, build a couple of new constructions and see you tomorrow!

[seriously pateam just delete protection okay, what on earth is it there for?]

So it's now tomorrow and you want to know what do. Well planetarion is about ships. Hundreds upon thousands, and even up to the millions, of ships that you build using the resources you get from your planet and its asteroids. The more ships you have the higher your value and the bigger the planets you can attack. All of your ships do different things so have a look here <hyperlink to individual race ship stats page> and find out what your ships do.

The hyperlinked ship stats page should look something like this:

Harpy: This is a defensive fighter class ship that targets other fighters. (Click on it to find out more, giving you a link to what the current ship stats page says. If the ship is good at doing different things it should tell you this as well).

Pegasus: This is an
ATTACKING HIGHLIGHT ATTACKING USE THIS SHIP TO ATTACK ship that you use with your <nameofrelevantpod> to attack and roid other planets. This attack fleet is good at roiding <nameofrelevantrace>.

Get yourself some factories and use your resources to build yourself some ships and think about attacking someone to gain some asteroids!

Step the ****ing last:

So you've got some asteroids and you've built yourself some ships to get more asteroids and we hope you've remember to keep researching new technologies and construct more buildings! Where to next you ask? Well, the best bit of Planetarion is your ability to talk with the others in your galaxy, and elsewhere, and work together to improve your planets. Your galaxy mates may already have mailed you to say hi. Click into the com-unit say hello back and join the galaxy.

Welcome to Planetarion

That's it. Seriously. That's it. Anything else is too long and too boring for someone to actually read through. There are ways to improve it. For example the stuff you should do once protection finishes should only pop up once you've finished protection. The so you've landed an attack stuff should only pop up after you've landed an attack.

The overview should be ****ing deleted and replaced with something relevant to new players (trust me, nobody else reads it anyways) like "INITIATE UP TO 300 ROIDS BUT IT'S NOT ADVISABLE TO GO FURTHER THAN THIS" or "THE TECHNOLOGIES THAT ARE MOST IMPORTANT ARE THE SHIP BUILDING ONES" etc.

The news and mail buttons need to be much more prominent. Like staring you in your face and in colour prominent. The basic screen also looks like shit. Red, blue and black? Make most of it all one plain as shit colour and then make the important stuff really noticeable.

The quest system is in far too prominent a place, you should be hyperlinking people to it regardless. Why do we even have to click start on it anyways? They may ignore it. Make it so that once you do things your news entry telling you you did some quest pops up, maybe then they'll be interested in it and go look for it.

Fleet info should be at the bottom of the screen, below ships. New players need to read about construction and research and if they're not constructing or researching something it needs to be telling them this is in big, bright shiny lights with bells on.

I'd continue but I'm getting bored now.

Well, I guess that might count as three changes considering it's just 3 separate threads around 3 basic ideas! In summation:

1) Have a vision for where you want the game to go
2) Give people more options to play with
3) Make the game easier for newbies to understand.
Unread 28 Jul 2010, 13:45   #171
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Quote:
The rest I skimmed over in about 20 seconds, and have probably read it before.

The above 3 points are the ones that matter, how Jagex (or anyone else) arrives at that is for them?
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2010, 13:57   #172
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The rest I skimmed over in about 20 seconds, and have probably read it before.

The above 3 points are the ones that matter, how Jagex (or anyone else) arrives at that is for them?
If they're genuinly interested in the opinion and remarks of the current memberbase, then someone at Jagex will for sure take the time to read everything.

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2010, 14:37   #173
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Wholeheartedly agree with the three points put forth by JBG.
Unread 28 Jul 2010, 15:28   #174
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
wow i thought i wrote much, but your wall of text beats it, hehe

anyhow i can only agree with JBG here, though our visions of the game might not go the same direction, but that doesnt matter - it only matters that someone at JAGEX has his own vision

if you guys don´t, i am willing to share mine

i just can hope you have one, as from an economic point of view you probably wouldnt have invested money if you didnt

Unread 29 Jul 2010, 18:32   #175
xploder

xploder is an unknown quantity at this point

1) Make Alliance`s joinable by Galaxeys only (not induviduals) as the gal forum and gal irc channels are worthless when someone in your Galaxey may give all your info (including gal status) to their Alliance, this, I believe, would give new players more of a chance and give induvidual planet growing skills more prestige. this would make the skill of the induvidual more prominent without haveing to "live" on irc.

2) Give returning fleets the abilety to "evade" so as to stop home comming fleets being wiped out by unluckey return tick times with incommings. (logically ships would just hide behind a moon )

3) Include "random events" where someone could gain some ships/roids/rescorces free (small ammount and not often events) this works in another game of similar type (although PA is far better) and is fun for all the familey
xploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2010, 18:39   #176
Reincarnate
ToF

Reincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to all

removing fleetcatching would be stupid. this is one of the main tactics for winning wars and if people dont want to be fleet caught they should jgp themselves before landing any attacks.
[19:10] <coffee-> dont worry about Reincarnate he is an angry man

R1 - 9 none | R10.5 - 13 [ToF] | R14 [Reunion] | R15-17 [Subh] | R18 - 36 PA vacation | R37 [Evo] | R38 [NFI] | R39 & 40 [ToF] | R41 [Omega] | R42 - 47 [ToF][HC]
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2010, 23:30   #177
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
removing fleetcatching would be stupid. this is one of the main tactics for winning wars and if people dont want to be fleet caught they should jgp themselves before landing any attacks.
I do miss having stealers not dying as per r18 (what a fun round)
Unread 7 Aug 2010, 19:03   #178
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

ALLIANCES!

a) When a player signs up to the game, they are placed in to a starting alliance (randomly or based on currently player quantity).

b) The two alliances will be called RED and BLUE.

c) Whilst in the startup alliance, players have;-
a) Reduced roid capture percentages.
b) Limited research tree.

d) Players can leave the startup alliances at any time, to either join another alliance or go solo. However once out, they cannot get back in.

RACE!

a) Single race

b) More dynamic tech tree, with options to choose emp/cloak/etc.

SPIES

1) Spys are now based on single entities. Guards and agents are removed. So in effect each spy is like the current cov-op system, each has a alert, stealth status.

2) Back to school
a) Each spy can be trained independant of the research tree.
b) Each training level (see below) increases chance of success by 1%.
c) Each level of training takes longer than the last.

Spy Operations:
a) Internal Security (DEFENCE) - Hunt enemy at a planet (yours or anothers).
b) Assassination (OFFENCE) - Hunts spies at target planet (non-alliance).
c) Exploding Fist (OFFENCE) - Destroys enemy asteroids.
d) Market Trading Hack (OFFENCE) - Steal resources from an enemy.
e) Demolitions (OFFENCE) - Allows your agents to take out structures using explosives.
f) Warp Core sabotage (OFFENCE) - This lets your agents sabotage ships located in an enemy base, or send a virus to outbound/inbound fleets.
g) Research Hack (OFFENCE) - This operation attempts to disrupt a target planet's research efforts (Starts on level 1).

Spy Intel (old waves):
a) Planet Intel - Returns general information about target planet
b) Orbital Fleet Recon - Returns fleets ETA 1 to the target planet
c) Technology Intel - Returns Technology Progression at target planet
d) Shipyard Recon - Returns units sighted at target planets shipyard (does not include cloaked)
e) Tranmission Intercepts - Intercept news transmissions at the target planet
f) Incoming Scan - Returns unit signatures of incoming ships.
g) Jumpgate Probe - Reveals any fleets traveling to the same planet.
h) Military Communications Hack - Returns hostile units including cloaked ships.

Training Items:
a) Computing - Hacking skills.
b) Combat - For both offensive and defensive operations.
c) Subterfuge - Mingle with the crowd.
d) Demolitions - Blowing crap up.

Operations may require more than 1 training item to complete. So two checks are performed for each manoeuver.
Example 1) Internal Security - Subterfuge / Combat.
Example 2) Exploding Fist - Subterfuge / Demolitions.
Example 3) Military Deployment Hack - Subterfuge / Computing.
Example 4) Warp Core Sabotage - Subterfuge / Demolitions (for fleets at location) or Subterfuge / Computing (for outbound/inbound fleets [Virus]).
Example 5) Intel Gathering - Subterfuge / Computing.

3) On vacation.
a) Spys travel by scout ship to hostile planets, this takes a certain amount of ticks (5 ticks?).
b) A spy can stay at a hostile planet, thus giving instant info on targets.
c) Spys take 1 tick to move between planets in a galaxy.

4) Lost and Found.
a) When spys are inactive, the chance of finding them are very low (Sleeper Agents).
b) The more spys are at a planet the higher chance of being found (could be abused?).
c) Captured spies provides current status of enemy spy locations.
d) Killed Spies only give a small ammount of XP.
e) Spies of higher rank, give higher level of XP once captured/killed.
f) Brain washing a spy turns the spy to your side.
5) Now that spies handle intel gathering, spy activities could be discovered, even if they didnt get captured.
Example 1) "Research News: Spies have interupted research and will take 3 hours to recover lost data. Security has been increased.".
Example 2) "Mining News: "Sabotage by spies has destroyed 7 of our asteroids. Security has been increased."
Example 3) "Intelligence News: A spy has been captured infiltrating our planet, interrogation indicates that 14 spys are active in our solar system".

6) Spies can be used to hunt invading hostile spies, at any planet.
e.g. Planet A has a hostile spy from Planet B, Planet C sends spys to planet A and initiates "Internal Security" operation.

7) No spy can be operated against a member of your own alliance.

8) All spy operations are chanced based, by using targets spys values.

9) SecurityUnits add to Stealth Recovery by using it as a percentage. Setting it to +20 adds 20% to the base recovery.
e.g. BaseRecovery = 6 * (1 + (+20/100)) = 7.2
e.g. BaseRecovery = 6 * (1 + (+100/100)) = 12
e.g. BaseRecovery = 6 * (1 + (-20/100)) = 4.8
e.g. BaseRecovery = 6 * (1 + (-100/100)) = 0

So there we have only three ideas I am working on.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx

Last edited by MrLobster; 7 Aug 2010 at 19:43.
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2011, 21:26   #179
Rhubarb

Rhubarb will become famous soon enoughRhubarb will become famous soon enough

I just found this thread....Great to see suggestions I have been thinking of already put into words. JBG 'Make the game easier for newbies to understand' quote was excellent, and should be introduced ASAP imo.

Of all the random and strange suggestions, no one suggested this, so I will put it out there:

Ability to divert your fleet after launching to alternative target, rather than recalling to relaunch. This is an alternative to reducing the eta which people suggested, (and benefits those trying to make difficult daytime attacks which have a high chance of recalling and them having nothing to do all day).

Details flexible but I had in mind:
After 1-3 ticks of travel you can divert your fleet to another planet in the galaxy you were attacking, but your eta re-sets to its original launch eta. (the reason being you have to change course). Defenders could also be allowed to do this course correction so alliances defense don't get drained.

I suggest it needs to be researched, and also perhaps requires a special ship to be present in the fleet (to allow unit scans to highlight the risk)

Pre-launching galaxy defense before the 1-3 ticks have passed would be potentially bad if you were not online to adjust, but perhaps a version could apply in galaxy, so your defence fleet could also change course....rather than return home to be relaunched.

EDIT:
few ideas:
1) Players automatically added to 'cluster' alliance when joining. (or red/blue above)
2) Re-do attack page, to give one stop shop, with layered complexity, it should incorporate Bcal as a layer of expandable detail & allow saving.
3) Galaxy size varies based on random / no exile ability / continuing member, new sign-up.
4) Ability to invite 1 new starter / friend to your galaxy (mini buddy pack) lots of ways to stop abuse
5) Shuffle at mid-point of round - why not?
6) Presents/flags given to random planet in alliance mid way through the round, with bonus for stealing tied to alliances relative sizes and number of previous captures.

Last edited by Rhubarb; 22 Jun 2011 at 22:00.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2011, 21:45   #180
Rhubarb

I would like the attack page changed to make the process flow and remain ingame as much as possible, [Attacking & Comunity (IRC) are the key to Plantation]:

I'm thinking:
You should have a 'target selection' page which allows you to search the universe, and mark potential targets, (the ability to add notes would be nice) and alliances could add targets to your page.

These selections are listed to your attack page.

Then you click on the cords, and it opens a form to complete, where you
a) select the scans you want to do or search existing scans from alliance
b) select your fleet to send
c) Review summary outcome (Traffic light system)
d) Adjust detailed/expandable Bcal if needed
e) Changes to expandable Bcal then update your attack form.
e) Select land time (shown in your time zone)
f) Save, or save & prelaunch
g) Issue to friend who can add own ships (likely via expandable Bcal)
h) Saved Attack is on your computer read only document? and link is on your target selection page

Anyone know how difficult these sort of changes would be to make? I think making attacking easier but allowing the same level of control and complexity as prompted expandable sections will help people learn how to attack successfully, whilst taking a lot of the boring stuff away from the experienced player.

Just some thoughts.
Rhubarb
Unread 24 Jun 2011, 14:51   #181
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

I believe it's defence that contributes most to the community of PA. After all, you actually have to be online and even speak to (at least) one other member of your alliance to arrange defence. Attacking is a simple and often selfish process which only briefly involves other players - especially since prelaunch was introduced. It's already far too easy to attack so I'm opposed to anything which would make it easier.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2011, 19:15   #182
Rhubarb

I Agree that defense is best for encouraging communication and co-operation.

Why though don't you want attacking to be easier? Every attack results in someone having to defend also the less time it takes for attacks to be planned = more players able to actively take part in the essence of the game.

I would also say that defending in the 'day-time' would be the best time for a player (a beginner or experienced player) to meet people and personally get the defense they needed.

Alliance attacks happen because they have more chance of succeeding, you have alliances encouraging them and supporting with target selection. Critically they also happen in the middle of the night for most players, and targeted galaxies are spread thin. Beginners might not get covered as a result, and probably wont notice until its too late, and they have lost their roids.

An easier system of selecting and saving targets encourage solo attacks, and creating a attack system which allowed gradually more understanding for beginners, has to be the aim. The Bcal is not easy for beginners.
Unread 25 Jun 2011, 22:12   #183
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

Easier selection and saving of targets is fine. I'm just not happy about encouraging new players to team up and prelaunch - there's too much of that happening already and it often makes defending a far less enjoyable experience than it ought to be.

(I know - I'm never going to get prelaunched attacks taken out of the game).
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2011, 20:10   #184
w3nnk
Banned

w3nnk is infamous around these partsw3nnk is infamous around these parts

well i agree <3

/me lapdances with Spinner

Angry_OuZo
w3nnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2011, 01:09   #185
Bowlsey
Lover of Cheesecake

Bowlsey is on a distinguished road

I only have 1 for now...

Give Galaxy a defense page like Alliances..
=Break=
rd41-44 TGV, rd45-46 FAnG, rd47 HaVeN rd48-49 FAnG
=Break=
Rd55+ Ultores
Bowlsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2011, 22:30   #186
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Seriously ignore PA, they are not going to do anything to it.

Around a year has gone by and Jagex has done nothing. Thats a fact, not just a troll!

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2011, 21:54   #187
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcChas View Post
Easier selection and saving of targets is fine. I'm just not happy about encouraging new players to team up and prelaunch - there's too much of that happening already and it often makes defending a far less enjoyable experience than it ought to be.

(I know - I'm never going to get prelaunched attacks taken out of the game).
how about we allow people to just plain see when they're being pre-launched on, and on which tick it'd land (without n+7th scan research), so we can reduce the real-time-reliance of the game a little. a bunch could organize defenses, and yes, defenses would be easier to sort, but there's only so many fleets and so so.

in the end, i do think being able to defend should be about having the tactical ability to properly assign fleets, not about whether someone's arsed to wake up 4am in the euro-morning or not.

it'd be easier for newbies too. of course, it still retains the option of not pre-launching, which would probably then be an elitist 'gist'. how many people do 'not' pre-launch nowadays?
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2011, 22:35   #188
Reincarnate
ToF

Reincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to all

if you put in something that tells u when the pl is launching, you would just get people pling, then recalling just before it launches and then launching next tick on no def. obviously only highly active players would do this (or those with alarms willing to break sleep for 10 minutes) leading to those players totally dominating the round.
[19:10] <coffee-> dont worry about Reincarnate he is an angry man

R1 - 9 none | R10.5 - 13 [ToF] | R14 [Reunion] | R15-17 [Subh] | R18 - 36 PA vacation | R37 [Evo] | R38 [NFI] | R39 & 40 [ToF] | R41 [Omega] | R42 - 47 [ToF][HC]
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2011, 12:05   #189
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
if you put in something that tells u when the pl is launching, you would just get people pling, then recalling just before it launches and then launching next tick on no def. obviously only highly active players would do this (or those with alarms willing to break sleep for 10 minutes) leading to those players totally dominating the round.
highly active players have always dominated no matter what
ergo
apart from maybe round 16?
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote