User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 19 Jul 2008, 03:51   #1
Jamie_Omac
Omac

Jamie_Omac has a spectacular aura aboutJamie_Omac has a spectacular aura about
Planetarion on iPhone - try it

hey guys

I just tried planetarion on my iPod touch and it seems to work well. If you have one please try it and let us know if it works on the go

Jamie
Jamie_Omac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2008, 16:20   #2
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future
Re: Planetarion on iPhone - try it

Any chance of considering other mobile devices instead of just the JesusPhone?

I'm not expecting every device to be compatible, but improvements could be made for better Opera Mobile, Opera Mini and a few of the other common mobile devices.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2008, 21:54   #3
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

To play PA all that is needed is a browser on a phone that can zoom in enough to see the login image (and that downlaods the image without overly compressing it so it can't be read).

The iphone has the advanatge of a decent sized screen - I'd hope any phone with a similar screen size would be ok.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2008, 22:27   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A list of officially supported phones would probably come in handy.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2008, 23:03   #5
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

My Nokia N95 works with PA fine, loading speeds are occasionally slow, but it works and its only really for "emergencies"
Unread 20 Jul 2008, 23:15   #6
r2baz
Sonny Sunshine Champion

r2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper View Post
Any chance of considering other mobile devices instead of just the JesusPhone?

I'm not expecting every device to be compatible, but improvements could be made for better Opera Mobile, Opera Mini and a few of the other common mobile devices.
Another vote for this!

Yay! for the Opera browser, much more widely used and compatible with loads of handsets. Thereby giving any MobilePA solution the biggest potential audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
list of officially supported phones would probably come in handy
Yeah and/or maybe a forum tree or thread to go with it. With a FAQ for mobile users section.
r2baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2008, 23:28   #7
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

www.operamini.com
it gives a list of compatible phones there plus its very easy to access the game from
just select mobile view from settings , regarding the bot question probably one in every twenty is hard to read in my experience

but it would be nice to bypass the login and bot question when using your phone as having to login from phone can be quite expensive

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2008, 01:03   #8
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

It would be nice if it was a bit faster and more accessible on more mobile devices, instead of being slow and taking up a bit too much bandwidth. This should be one of Planetarion's strong points, especially considering it's a game which requires quite a lot of attention throughout the day.

The mobile web is becoming more and more popular, these days it isn't as difficult as being forced to create a separate WAP site. Some optimisation of your existing code and images is still required though.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2008, 07:39   #9
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

PA has been "working" on mobilephones since forever.
Doubt it wont work on iphone.

As mentioned above though, its only an emergency plan.

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2008, 12:38   #10
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all

I have an I-Phone and it does indeed work on the "Go" as you say.
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2009, 06:40   #11
Baba

Baba is an unknown quantity at this point

Im having problem logging in with my iPhone.

PA doesn't always work. It only works like 1 out of 5 tries. I've set my safari settings to accept cookies and it still doesn't work ev
ery time, any suggestions?
-Baba
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2009, 10:32   #12
Third
JNLCWSFF

Third will become famous soon enoughThird will become famous soon enough

Playable with N82
Third is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2009, 12:23   #13
Spritfire

Spritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
Im having problem logging in with my iPhone.

PA doesn't always work. It only works like 1 out of 5 tries. I've set my safari settings to accept cookies and it still doesn't work ev
ery time, any suggestions?
-Baba
Hi BaBa

I think your having a problem with catching the bot stopper question.

So when you first put in your user/pw , and then comes to the math question.

Use the link who says "reload image".

That should hopefully sort it out for you.

If it dosn't, your free to drop by #support on irc.netgamers.org and have a chat with one of the helpers so we can try to help you more!

Regards
Spritfire
Unread 15 Jan 2009, 13:11   #14
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
PA has been "working" on mobilephones since forever.
Doubt it wont work on iphone.

As mentioned above though, its only an emergency plan.
i forgot i played most of rd 7 by phone but after rd 7 or during the rd they removed the access via wap iirc
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2009, 13:36   #15
Hunterrrr
Blah Blah Blah

Hunterrrr has a spectacular aura aboutHunterrrr has a spectacular aura aboutHunterrrr has a spectacular aura about

PA works with nokias browser and opera mini without a problem i tried it on N6210 and N95! And i usually initiate most of the roids at start of the round using a mobile phone. You can also install j2me irc or another irc client to the phone and you can check scans etc...

Baba clean the buffer of the browser that sometimes causes problems.
Unread 15 Jan 2009, 15:04   #16
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReligFree View Post
My Nokia N95 works with PA fine, loading speeds are occasionally slow, but it works and its only really for "emergencies"
The n95 is excellent for PA. I got one myself and i can do anything i want on my pa-account without much fuzz at all. easy to zoom in and out, and with the wireless-function its very fast, though its fast enough with just using the 3g network (wireless is free) Ive never had connection-problems either.
To save time and in some cases money, try switching off showing images, and manually turn them on when you need to read the login-question.
My impression is that PA has done a good job on this area, and its nice to see that omac wants PA to be as good as it is on n95, on other phones aswell.
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2009, 15:16   #17
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNzI View Post
My impression is that PA has done a good job on this area, and its nice to see that omac wants PA to be as good as it is on n95, on other phones aswell.
Being a cynic by nature, I would guess this is a lucky coincidence, not something they specifically coded for.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2009, 15:59   #18
Hunterrrr
Blah Blah Blah

Hunterrrr has a spectacular aura aboutHunterrrr has a spectacular aura aboutHunterrrr has a spectacular aura about

I agree with mz its a coincidence that it works well but it does!
Well i have a unlimited package for internet with mobile and the connection is good HSDPA almost all the time (supports up to 7,2mbit) so it loads quickly.
Unread 15 Jan 2009, 17:10   #19
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
To play PA all that is needed is a browser on a phone that can zoom in enough to see the login image (and that downlaods the image without overly compressing it so it can't be read).

The iphone has the advanatge of a decent sized screen - I'd hope any phone with a similar screen size would be ok.
I've played it plenty on my tytn ii using ie (which lacks zoom), and it worked all right.

The lack of a mobile UI was a bit of a pain, it was almost impossible to navigate some pages. Moving shuffling ships around fleets was hilariously involved, for example.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2009, 19:32   #20
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritfire View Post
Hi BaBa

I think your having a problem with catching the bot stopper question.

So when you first put in your user/pw , and then comes to the math question.

Use the link who says "reload image".

That should hopefully sort it out for you.

If it dosn't, your free to drop by #support on irc.netgamers.org and have a chat with one of the helpers so we can try to help you more!

Regards
Spritfire
It could also be that his mobile operator is caching images at their http proxy
Unread 15 Jan 2009, 19:33   #21
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
I've played it plenty on my tytn ii using ie (which lacks zoom), and it worked all right.

The lack of a mobile UI was a bit of a pain, it was almost impossible to navigate some pages. Moving shuffling ships around fleets was hilariously involved, for example.
menu->view->zoom level->largest/larger/default/smaller/smallest

anything using ajax/dhtml/javascript will be lol-tastic though. ( its ie5 rendering engine or something )

Last edited by Phil^; 15 Jan 2009 at 19:43.
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2009, 20:31   #22
JDD
aka Duncan

JDD is an unknown quantity at this point

I use "Skyfire" and dont really ever have issues with it logging into PA short of being a little laggy but that may be my phone more than anything. "Skyfire" is still in beta stage as far as i know.
[h3lls angels] round 20
[NewDawn] round 25,26,27,29
[Conspiracy] round 40
[NewDawn] round 70 - 73
[DLR] Round 30,31,33 - 39,41 - 46,49,50,74,75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
He's a hick. In charge of an alliance. It's like giving the Dukes of Hazzard a tank division to control.
JDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2009, 21:00   #23
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNzI View Post
The n95 is excellent for PA. I got one myself and i can do anything i want on my pa-account without much fuzz at all. easy to zoom in and out, and with the wireless-function its very fast, though its fast enough with just using the 3g network (wireless is free) Ive never had connection-problems either.
To save time and in some cases money, try switching off showing images, and manually turn them on when you need to read the login-question.
Or wait for the relevant bit to load then hit stop, for me usually the login, bot stopper and recall fleet boxes, because my attack partner has just sms'd me to say recall !
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2009, 00:33   #24
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I play PA with a samsung j700 with opera generic installed, and it's pretty workable. Slightly buggy at times but I can do stuff.

So long as you can install opera to your phone you should be okay.
Unread 16 Jan 2009, 06:30   #25
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

i have a Sanyo M1 and it works with Opera Mini (so please don't break it). moving fleets around can be a pain and there isn't any java support on it either.. but it gets by and i've been using it for many rounds now.
Unread 16 Jan 2009, 09:28   #26
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^ View Post
menu->view->zoom level->largest/larger/default/smaller/smallest

anything using ajax/dhtml/javascript will be lol-tastic though. ( its ie5 rendering engine or something )
Zoom is called 'text size' on my .no phone, and it's already set to 'smallest'. And yeah, anything ajax fails massively. Works great for stuff like google reader/mail and bbc's mobile site.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2009, 13:31   #27
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

The I fone rocks infact I'm even posting this on it

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2009, 15:47   #28
DigitalZero
Round 1er

DigitalZero will become famous soon enoughDigitalZero will become famous soon enough

I have been using it since November, it rocks. However a lot of websites that you can goto redirect to a mobile site, mobile.planetarion.com would be nice, with a slim down version, with a login button, etc... something more mobile friendly. Other than that, it rocks.

Round 1 - 6: NewDawn
- 3,4,5 - ND HC
Round 7: NeMeSiS
Round 8,9: ND..then retired
Round 12: return to PA. NewDawn
Round 13 - Present: NewDawn, 35+ HC.

PA-Radio!!!
DigitalZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2009, 19:14   #29
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalZero View Post
I have been using it since November, it rocks. However a lot of websites that you can goto redirect to a mobile site, mobile.planetarion.com would be nice, with a slim down version, with a login button, etc... something more mobile friendly. Other than that, it rocks.
i wanna say that they have something that detects your browser. Cin (i think) had the advert taken off the login page for mobiles for instance. i'm not sure if he canned it for the web login too though /shrug.
Unread 16 Jan 2009, 20:14   #30
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaejii View Post
i wanna say that they have something that detects your browser. Cin (i think) had the advert taken off the login page for mobiles for instance. i'm not sure if he canned it for the web login too though /shrug.
ads on login were removed completely
MultiHunter Team -#multihunters
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote