User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 16 May 2007, 18:02   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
About Bloody time!

Prince Harry will not be serving in Iraq. Not that I particularly care for his future one way or the other but it such an obvious decision I can't see what all the fuss was about.

there was even a 'story'* about his regiment all wearing ginger wigs or some bollocks. Maybe he will now quit the army and become a dignitary like his grandfather** and at least some form of entertainment until they are destroyed by the Proles on that Glorious day when the streets will run red with the blood of the Opperssors!

*I think in the Sun, I saw the end of paper review on BBC News 24
**official grandfather
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2007, 22:40   #2
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: About Bloody time!

I wish they'd make their bloody minds up. First he's going, then he's not, then he absolutely positively without a doubt is going, and now he isn't again.
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2007, 22:59   #3
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Why "About Bloody time!"? Were you desperately awaiting this news?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2007, 23:04   #4
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Only in so far that this story keeps popping up and annoys me as a total waste of time. Hopefully this will be an end to it and I won't have to hear another shitty debate about it on Question time (after this week, of course).
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 16 May 2007, 23:17   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Fair enough, I suppose if one is enough of a devotee of such things then an even more trivial story than usual would probably irritate. I can't watch shows like QT admittedly, but even if I could then I'm not sure I'd find it worth the banality. If you want "mainstream" (for want of a better term) coverage of affairs surely there are better sources?

Although this is why I tend to ignore the mass media as a rule.

Last edited by Dante Hicks; 17 May 2007 at 00:28.
Unread 16 May 2007, 23:29   #6
All Systems Go

I enojy David Dimblebys interview technique. Sometimes they have good guests like tony Benn. Mostly though it's just an excuse to hate the entire human race.

the audience can be really shit and there is too much about Iraq but the good debates are good and it keeps me up-to-date with what is 'hot' in modern politics, especially as I have pretty much stopped using every other media outlet (except the ocassional episode of Newsnight).
Unread 17 May 2007, 10:47   #7
Dark_Mage
I wish I was a Commander

Dark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
Where do you get your news from?
Indymedia
Dark_Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2007, 15:47   #8
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

I think the powers that be have really screwed up in handling this situation. They should have packed Harry off "quietly" to Afganistan.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2007, 16:01   #9
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Prince Harry will not be serving in Iraq.
Well, i bet his Regiment will be happy to hear that, mainly because it means they wont get special and constant attention from "insurgents" trying to kill/capture the Prince and thus protecting him, but considering that most recent winsors arent that smart*, they'd probably be glad he isnt there to order them into some stupid act.

*i say this without ever having met the man, and thus is potentially inaccurate.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2007, 16:06   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
Where do you get your news from?
It depends on the issue. The only exposure I get to the tabloids are free papers on the train, which I mainly used to scan read to check if there's any photos of hot girls or something which might similarly interest me. I must confess there is some addictive quality to some of the banality, and I sometimes am morbidly curious in the nonsense (and I think I may have been mentioned once in the Lovestruck column ).

But now I carry a PDA with me on my commute, I mainly do work stuff, or notes or whatever.

I read a lot of (very boring) policy documents these days, official reports, statistical updates, etc. - there's a ridiculous amounts of free content out there on all manner of subjects. There's just as many lies of course (probably more, page for page) but it means you don't get nonsense about footballers or lost kittens.

The mainstream press does of course still do ocassional good bits of journalism - the Indy/Guardian/Times/FT/Telegraph will usually have maybe one column worth reading per issue - it's just taken as a whole they're utter shit. I bought the Observer the other Sunday (my judgement was impaired). Any there were two prominent full broadsheet pages on that royal guy breaking up with his girlfriend plus various other speculation....this in the paper of the left? I only had myself to blame.

Creative internet searching, mailing lists, Digg/Slashdot (or similar), forums like this, friends forwarding links, etc. mean you can get a reasonably varied media diet without having to read/see too much nonsense. It's all about the filters.

The only paper publications I read cover to cover (when I get them) are The Economist and Inside Housing.
Unread 17 May 2007, 16:07   #11
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Well, i bet his Regiment will be happy to hear that, mainly because it means they wont get special and constant attention from "insurgents" trying to kill/capture the Prince and thus protecting him, but considering that most recent winsors arent that smart*, they'd probably be glad he isnt there to order them into some stupid act.

*i say this without ever having met the man, and thus is potentially inaccurate.
Good thing you had that qualifier at the end of your post

Prince Harry has in fact built up a reputation for being very capable, earning considerable respect while he was at Sandhurst. He's very suited to the Army and his men would have had complete confidence in him on the battlefield. They fully supported him going to Iraq - but it's up to the generals to decide whether or not he went, and it's probably the right thing that he doesn't serve on the front-line. Unfortunately he's too good a target.
Unread 17 May 2007, 16:38   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Prince Harry has in fact built up a reputation for being very capable, earning considerable respect while he was at Sandhurst.
In the valley of the blind...

Also, how objective is someone with a military mindset (and career) likely to be about a member of the royal family?
Unread 17 May 2007, 16:54   #13
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Good thing you had that qualifier at the end of your post

Prince Harry has in fact built up a reputation for being very capable, earning considerable respect while he was at Sandhurst. He's very suited to the Army and his men would have had complete confidence in him on the battlefield. They fully supported him going to Iraq - but it's up to the generals to decide whether or not he went, and it's probably the right thing that he doesn't serve on the front-line. Unfortunately he's too good a target.
And you know all this from where? Did you go to school with him or something?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2007, 17:09   #14
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A combination of the British serious media and having a friend in the same company as him at Sandhurst.
Unread 17 May 2007, 19:01   #15
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks

Also, how objective is someone with a military mindset (and career) likely to be about a member of the royal family?
Sandhurst is for officer training. Most of the guys I've met who trained there (a good friend of mine was shipped off to Basra only 2 weeks ago and will be there until December) were actually reasonably intelligent and not just thick with a "for king and country!!!" view of the world.
Unread 17 May 2007, 19:03   #16
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Sandhurst is for officer training. Most of the guys I've met who trained there (a good friend of mine was shipped off to Basra only 2 weeks ago and will be there until December) were actually reasonably intelligent and not just thick with a "for king and country!!!" view of the world.
So why did he join the army?
Unread 17 May 2007, 20:15   #17
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:

Maybe he "wanted to see exotic [parts of the world]. [Maybe he] wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture and ... kill them. [Maybe he] wanted to be the first kid on [his] block to get a confirmed kill."

Maybe ...
You Are Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2007, 22:51   #18
dda-II

dda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks

About as objective as the average communist?
dda-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2007, 00:39   #19
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

bummer
i thought this would be a starcraft 2 topic.

It had its website launched last friday...

watch the Cinematic to understand what i am talking about
Unread 23 May 2007, 06:06   #20
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

You sure?
I thought the gfx looked the same.

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2007, 10:45   #21
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
His grandad was in the army and I think it is something of a family tradition (his father skipped it and became a reverend or a minister or something though).

I never really asked him. "Why did you join the army anyway?" sounds a bit accusatory, like it's something you shouldn't want to do.
Unread 23 May 2007, 10:51   #22
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
His grandad was in the army and I think it is something of a family tradition (his father skipped it and became a reverend or a minister or something though).

I never really asked him. "Why did you join the army anyway?" sounds a bit accusatory, like it's something you shouldn't want to do.
Hi granddad was probably in WW2.

It's not like becoming a doctor or bus driver, you are becoming a trained fighter and killer. You will be putting yourself into potentially deadly situations.

I genuinely don't understand why people join the army, unless it's one of their few options to make a career for themselves. then again, that only really applies to the uneducated working class.