User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 10 Aug 2007, 08:09   #1
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
More chauv rant

I'm still reading the trash and tabloids, I'm very sorry. I'll be brief.

A man was sentenced to fines and compensations for hugging a resigning worker. The boss, aged 56, had given his female worker, 30, a hug the day the resigned woman was leaving. The woman took the hug as sexual harrasment, brought it to court, and claimed the man obviously experienced erection while hugging and thus the hug was abusive at least. The man denied the accusations, but the court found the story reliable and decided to rule against the man. In total of court expenses, fines, and compensations, the man's now a little more than 6k e poorer. It's funny how you can throw fines on word-against-word cases with no evidence whatsoever besides a word by the victim of the alledged crime. I'm feeling a little American here in Finland now.

Furthermore, a female columnist was ranting about how crap summer theaters are nowadays. She mentioned the narrow production, and stated that while Väinö Linna's The Unknown Soldier is a great and touching act that makes men cough in order to prevent sobbing and women cry. What's her problem here, is that everyone's seen it already. So her clever idea was, to make a women-only act of it, "The Unknown Soldieress". Why? Because it sounds witty, and women can serve in the military today too. The thing is, a lot like Seven Brothers by Aleksis Kivi and Kalevala by Elias Lönnröt The Unknown Soldier is really more than a novel. It's something regarded on a similar respect as the national epic. The gender of the characters, the majority of which are men, is a part of the idea - it's a story of the war, of the archetypal Finnish men, of the Finnish culture. It's really something you don't need to mess with just for shits and giggles. Well. Needless to say, the woman really jumped into a landslide. There's already critisism about the "idea" printed.

Oh dear. Seven more hours, guys and girls. The lunch is going to be good, ox with mushrooms.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 09:04   #2
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: More chauv rant

I read this tabloid-like "news" website (www.fok.nl (Dutch)) pretty often, but every once in a while I decide I should stop reading it because it is poisoning my mind; it's depressing to be bothered with insignificant negative news.
But, every time, after a while I come back to that website and read the "news" because I have nothing better to do.
Now, think about that, we have nothing better to do than read insignificant news stories that is poisoning our minds. What kind of petty lives are we leading then?

So my eyes have been opened; again. I closed the news website. Let's see how long I can go without this time.
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 09:43   #3
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

I think it has to do with the boring state of my affairs at the moment. Once I'm done with work and back with university, I'll have more control over my own doings, and I won't be after trash mags as I can do something else. Like, sleep. Can't sleep at work, can sleep at uni. Hence, I'm blaming my pathetic spree of reading tabs on the strict and unflexible protestant work schedules.
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 10:00   #4
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
I'm still reading the trash and tabloids, I'm very sorry. I'll be brief.

A man was sentenced to fines and compensations for hugging a resigning worker. The boss, aged 56, had given his female worker, 30, a hug the day the resigned woman was leaving. The woman took the hug as sexual harrasment, brought it to court, and claimed the man obviously experienced erection while hugging and thus the hug was abusive at least. The man denied the accusations, but the court found the story reliable and decided to rule against the man. In total of court expenses, fines, and compensations, the man's now a little more than 6k e poorer. It's funny how you can throw fines on word-against-word cases with no evidence whatsoever besides a word by the victim of the alledged crime. I'm feeling a little American here in Finland now.

Furthermore, a female columnist was ranting about how crap summer theaters are nowadays. She mentioned the narrow production, and stated that while Väinö Linna's The Unknown Soldier is a great and touching act that makes men cough in order to prevent sobbing and women cry. What's her problem here, is that everyone's seen it already. So her clever idea was, to make a women-only act of it, "The Unknown Soldieress". Why? Because it sounds witty, and women can serve in the military today too. The thing is, a lot like Seven Brothers by Aleksis Kivi and Kalevala by Elias Lönnröt The Unknown Soldier is really more than a novel. It's something regarded on a similar respect as the national epic. The gender of the characters, the majority of which are men, is a part of the idea - it's a story of the war, of the archetypal Finnish men, of the Finnish culture. It's really something you don't need to mess with just for shits and giggles. Well. Needless to say, the woman really jumped into a landslide. There's already critisism about the "idea" printed.

Oh dear. Seven more hours, guys and girls. The lunch is going to be good, ox with mushrooms.
It's pretty simple really. You want to have more sex with your mother.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 10:01   #5
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I think it has to do with the boring state of my affairs at the moment. Once I'm done with work and back with university, I'll have more control over my own doings, and I won't be after trash mags as I can do something else. Like, sleep. Can't sleep at work, can sleep at uni. Hence, I'm blaming my pathetic spree of reading tabs on the strict and unflexible protestant work schedules.
Read a ****ing book.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 10:04   #6
Tietäjä
Good Son

I have. Well, I'm not much of a fan of trash novels, so I've been working on a Gujarati econometrics book and a De Grauwe on monetary unions. Those just get a little heavy on the occasion. Any good reads come in mind? No Harry Potters please.
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 10:08   #7
All Systems Go

Anything by George Orwell is thought-provoking AND entertaining, what more could you want? I would recommend specifically 1984.
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 10:30   #8
Tietäjä
Good Son

Done that. Animal Farm too. Something along the lines of thought-provoking and entertaining would be nice, but the usual suspects have probably been done with by now.
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 10:35   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Down and Out In Paris and London
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 10:36   #10
All Systems Go

George Orwell - Keep The Aspidistra Flying <--- overlooked but very good.

Robert Tressell -The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists
Anything by Oscar Wilde
All of the Red Dwarf books are fantastic.
Matthew Thomas - Before and After
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 10:38   #11
Tietäjä
Good Son

The Philanthrophists -bit sounds a little too gay. Red Dwarf sounds like Lord of The Rings, so we'll pass that too. Should probably try some Oscar Wilde. Maybe I'll drop by at the library.
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 10:45   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The Philanthrophists -bit sounds a little too gay. Red Dwarf sounds like Lord of The Rings, so we'll pass that too.
You're one crazy hipster.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 10:47   #13
All Systems Go

Quote:
The Philanthrophists -bit sounds a little too gay.
It's a book that expels he virutes of Socialism. It's not about generous homosexuals.

Quote:
Red Dwarf sounds like Lord of The Rings, so we'll pass that too.
It's set aboard the minig ship Red Dwarf, which is 3 million years away from earth. After a radion leak wipes out the entire crew its only survivors are; Dave Lister, last (barely) human alive; Arnold J. Rimmer, a hologram of his dead bunkmate; The Cat, a humaniod creatured that evolved from Listers pet cat; Kryten, a mechanoid they found on an asteroid; and Holly, the ships senile computer.

It's about as far away from LotR as it is possible to get. It's also very funny. Plus, it's as TV show.

Oh yes, it's set in space.
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 11:33   #14
Bedda0815
jerk

Bedda0815 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Done that. Animal Farm too. Something along the lines of thought-provoking and entertaining would be nice, but the usual suspects have probably been done with by now.
Depends of your definition of "thought-provoking" but Douglas Adams is definattly entertaining while reading and even more entertaining when thinking about it afterwards due to the fact that it even makes sence in a very wired way.
Bedda0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 12:01   #15
Tietäjä
Good Son

Yeah. Dougie's done with, though, well, at least the hitch. The Red Dwarf is beginning to sound like Futurama. I'll stick to Wilde. Anything important of his I should touch?
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 12:04   #16
All Systems Go

Quote:
The Red Dwarf is beginning to sound like Futurama.
You make that sound like a bad thing?

Quote:
I'll stick to Wilde. Anything important of his I should touch?
The Picture of Dorian Gray and The Importance of Being Earnest are the most prominant of his works.
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 12:12   #17
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Read a ****ing book.
I sense much anger in you, young padwan.
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 12:26   #18
Tietäjä
Good Son

Dirty Star Wars quote on my trash thread. Shame on you, furball.
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 14:22   #19
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

books are for nerds
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 14:24   #20
Tietäjä
Good Son

True. The guys who really get chicks are the ones who talk about it on internet forums.