User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 9 Feb 2007, 11:43   #1
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute
Bad news for the Yanks. I feel sorry for you.

Oh dear. A British company are going to be running an American transport company. Oh god! If First Group are going to run Greyhound like they run buses here in the UK, they`re really going to screw things up. http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2009392,00.html

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2007, 11:52   #2
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of
Re: Bad news for the Yanks. I feel sorry for you.

well fares will increase thats for sure !
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2007, 12:49   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

America is used to monopolistic business practices and is probably better prepared for them, at least in my estimation.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2007, 17:35   #4
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

The bus service in London is fairly good actually, it's improved drastically while Ken Livingstone has been mayor IMO
Unread 9 Feb 2007, 18:46   #5
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_
The bus service in London is fairly good actually, it's improved drastically while Ken Livingstone has been mayor IMO
That's because the London buses are regulated and subsidised so heavily that nobody notices or cares who runs their buses. They're essentially a public operation with the private operators skimming a profit off the top.
Unread 9 Feb 2007, 18:51   #6
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Just you wait, you'll get to hear all the wonderful varieties of "wrong leaves on the line" excuses we get
Unread 9 Feb 2007, 20:26   #7
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Bad news for the Yanks. I feel sorry for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyirt
If First Group are going to run Greyhound like they run buses here in the UK, they`re really going to screw things up.
Greyhound's pretty hosed to begin with, which is probably why they've been in and out of bankrupcy court the past few years. If the new owners can turn the company around then great; although I suspect they bought it mostly for the school bus side of the business (which is probably profitable) rather than the intercity transportation side (which is probably a giant cash-sucking black hole).

Just for giggles, I priced out a round trip from St. Paul to Chicago* (a place I might actually want to go to that's far enough such that driving myself wouldn't be all that desirable but not so far as to make a bus trip completely out of the question). The cheapest round trip airfare I found (in February) is $83 and the trip takes an hour and fifteen minutes (plus figure wasting another hour with security crap at the airport) each way. Greyhound round trip bus fare is $110 and the trip takes nine hours and fifteen minutes each way. Unless I couldn't fly for some reason (phobia), why the hell would I take the bus?

To be fair, there's a lot more variablity in airline fares. For example, for an unscheduled trip (say, a funeral) you might well pay more for airfare than for bus fare. Furthermore, buses can also go to cities that airlines don't service, although the bus companies seem to have eliminated most of those routes too. :/

Note: If you're ever in Hibbing Minnesota (and you won't be unless you're diehard Bob Dylan fan) you can visit the Greyhound bus museum!

*About 380 miles/600 km each way.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2007, 21:27   #8
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

I have another question. Do buses and trains actually "run on time*" in America?

*Odd concept here in the UK generally.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
Unread 9 Feb 2007, 21:30   #9
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'll be flying through St.Paul at the end of the month.

Book yourself a flight on the Friday 2nd March evening, meet me inside security and I'll buy you a beer. Promise.

It may cost you $100, but you'll get at least two free beers and the joy of meeting me. All in all, I reckon you'll be up by several thousand contentment dollars.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2007, 01:31   #10
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

In Spain the buses are great. All clean and stuff, you don't know exactly when one will come along, but you know at least within 10 mins of you being at the bus station there will be one.

They're clean and stuff and they have magic cards so you don't even need to talk tot he bus driver. 30p for any journey anywhere
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2007, 02:31   #11
pyirt
nomen est omen

Wow! That`s rather good

The bus service where I live is not so good time-table wise, and expensive! Such a rip off. Especially when hills are involved. £1 to go 500 metres.

Me=Hans_Blix

Last edited by pyirt; 10 Feb 2007 at 02:40.
Unread 10 Feb 2007, 13:56   #12
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

I use Yorkshire's bus & train service all the time and it's always there on the dot. Never had a problem except last year there was some issues with the amount of snow we got.

However in Derby, where my parents live the service is shit.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2007, 14:29   #13
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I dont see peoples problem with the bus. I've never really had a problem with them. Although I only really used to use them for a very limited number of services.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2007, 00:08   #14
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The Greyhound Bus is usually for the medium distance trip say 20-150 miles. When I was in college, I rode the Greyhound to and from school. I went to San Jose State for awhile which was about 80 miles from Stockton. I then went to Sacramento State for awhile which is 50 miles from Stockton. There was no air service available so, since I didn't own a car, the bus was the only alternative.