User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 13 Oct 2006, 19:49   #1
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Council Tax

I have a quick question for those more familiar with such things than me.

First, some background: I did one full-time course last year, but was living at home at the time, so I didn't have to worry about council tax. That course finished at the end of June. The full-time course I'm on at the moment is in London, however, so I had to move up here to do it. For reasons that aren't awfully relevant or interesting I moved up to London nine days before this course started (it started on 29th August and I moved up on 20th August), and performed all the stupid tomfoolery about exemption letters and the like.

The issue: I had assumed that this set of circumstances would simply class me as a full-time student, and exempt me from council tax, but my local council disagrees, and says that I wasn't exempt for the first nine days and so will have to pay it. (They're not entirely clear what I have to pay - first they wanted everything, but now I can't quite work out if their reduced demand is council tax for the nine days or council tax for a quarter.)

Can they do this?

Any answers or advice appreciated.

P.S. If Yahwe's here: were you walking up Tottenham Court Road at about 4.45 this afternoon?
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2006, 19:55   #2
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Council Tax

If you're liable for anything you're liable for those 9 days at most.
Unread 13 Oct 2006, 20:18   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Also, if it's in the region of hundreds of pounds it won't be the 9 day one.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2006, 20:30   #4
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
If you're liable for anything you're liable for those 9 days at most.
That's what I hoped, but it doesn't stop them sending me nasty letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Also, if it's in the region of hundreds of pounds it won't be the 9 day one.
I've only actually had a written demand for the full year's amount (well, a quarterly installment, but rising to the full amount if I don't pay within seven days). The other demands are just what they've said over the phone after I rang to ask about the letter.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2006, 23:15   #5
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

yes .. 1st they send u a demand for the whole thing ... then they send u an adjustment letter, they love trees :P

take the amount u have to pay that they sent at first, divide it by the amount of days its for then times it by nine and you will have the amount you have to pay....

and there should be a codicile somewhere that says if you are currently in application for council tax rebate please contact us, also pay that 9 days, a payment, any payment stops the letters for a while, and dont expect this to be quick, i once had to wait 6 months and 3 letters to go to court b4 they actually made a decision.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2006, 02:34   #6
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

given the course that you are on you are actually liable for the whole year.

the key thing to remember with local government lawyers is that they are all australians or kiwis doing a few months temp work before trying to get a full time job

do just ring ring ring until you get the person who's name appears on the letter. then shout at them. they'll back down i promise: quiet regardless of what the laws (which they have never read) say or do not say.
Unread 14 Oct 2006, 13:16   #7
Furious
SpamBot

Furious will become famous soon enoughFurious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
do just ring ring ring until you get the person who's name appears on the letter. then shout at them. they'll back down i promise: quiet regardless of what the laws (which they have never read) say or do not say.
This is very true. Council employees trudge through life as faceless entities, as soon as you encounter the particular perportrator he will tell you exactly what you want to hear if you are agressive enough, however the trick is to actually get this slimy worm to do what he says he will i.e credit the bill. If you keep on at him however im sure he (or indeed she, lets not be sexist) will give you a result.

What a sad state of affairs this country is in eh?

<TomKat> my signature is the greatest on the entire internet
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote