User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 16 Jan 2006, 14:45   #1
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Books

So, I know opinions on books are really, really subjective. But I'd still like some discussion about books. Wich one are you reading at the moment, wich one are you looking forward to, and wich one should every person own a copy of? Recommendations for different genre's etc.

At the moment, I am reading Digital Fortress by Dan Brown, last one I read was Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan, or Black Magician by Trudi Canavan, can't remember clearly. Everyone should own: Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, The Idiot (Fyodor Dostojevskij), War and Peace by Tolstoj, and Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 14:49   #2
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Books

I've always been a fan of Clive Cussler, but other than that I don't really read books since gaming takes up so much time.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 14:50   #3
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Red Dwarf.

All of them.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 14:54   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Thud! by Pratchett wasn't bad, although I only listened to the audio version. I think that was the last fiction book I finished.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 14:54   #5
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

I've enjoyed a lot of David Gemmel's books, but then i've always enjoyed heroic fantasy.
Get the Galactic Millieu trilogy by Jullian May, these books are something special. I also enjoyed a seires written by Julia Gray called the Guardian Cycle. They were orginal and inventive with an addictive storyline and good character development. Theres 5 in all I think.
I'll edit this if I think of any more.
(But get the Jullian May ones!)
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 15:01   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
I've always been a fan of Clive Cussler, but other than that I don't really read books since gaming takes up so much time.
I read one of those while I was in hospital. I don't quite remember the name but it was about the japanese and the koreans and some funky diseases that north korea was going to spread all over the west coast of the states. The book read like it had been written by a slightly stupid but very enthusiastic seventeen year old.

I've just finished reading catch 22 which was pretty good and made me laugh an uncomfortable amount of the time (really it's uncomfortable when you laugh just after an appendisectomy). I'm rereading the elegant universe by brian greene for no real reason at the minute and I'm struggling through after the victorians by A.N. Wilson which I've been reading on and off for months and is good in parts but does a whole load of british social history which is about as interesting as watching my belly button considering its future options in life. I wouldn't really consider anything fictional "essential reading" but if you're looking for some sort of recommendation for something classical that you'd think would be a whole load of drivelling pretentious tripe but isn't I'd go for Paradise Lost.

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 16 Jan 2006 at 15:08.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 15:05   #7
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

im 30 pages away from finishing catch 22. then im going to read some of the politics i bought cover to cover instead of just a few sections.

(i only used what i needed )
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 15:09   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh yeah I forgot, Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson is kind of fun too, although a little silly at times.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 15:09   #9
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I read one of those while I was in hospital. I don't quite remember the name but it was about the japanese and the koreans and some funky diseases that north korea was going to spread all over the west coast of the states. The book read like it had been written by a slightly stupid but very enthusiastic seventeen year old.
I don't remember that but then again haven't read a few of the new ones. His writing is certainly miles better than other writers of the genre I've been reading recently. 'Award winners' my arse.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 15:12   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I don't remember that but then again haven't read a few of the new ones. His writing is certainly miles better than other writers of the genre I've been reading recently. 'Award winners' my arse.
I had a quick look for you and this is the one. A lot of what those thrillers offer is just the whole get you into the story deal, once you know the characters you're interested to find out what keeps happening to them and you buy the next book to read about their funky adventures and shit.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 15:14   #11
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
was the decision to ruin it for everyone else on irc born from this scorn ?
No I just thought that one of the famous tag-lines (except it wasn't really, a tag-line that is more of a line that emerged from the book into the general social consciousness or whatever) in the history of fiction deserved to be put up there.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 15:14   #12
Cannon_Fodder

I never found there was a requirement to read the previous books to know what was going on. Each one was disconnected to the others, but in a good way.

Also that was one of his earlier books, and everyone has rough patches
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 15:17   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Oh yeah I forgot, Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson is kind of fun too, although a little silly at times.
That it is.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 15:17   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
I never found there was a requirement to read the previous books to know what was going on. Each one was disconnected to the others, but in a good way.

Also that was one of his earlier books, and everyone has rough patches
It was published in 2004, how many ****ing books does he spew out every year?

Also it's not that you have to, the whole point is that you can just pick one up and read it and you won't need to know anything from beforehand. It's just that it helps to identify with the characters and that's why a lot of people keep reading the books. It's similar logic for a lot of soap operas and shit like that.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 15:29   #15
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a huge fan of Tom Clancy and Ludlum. Clive Cussler is pretty good aswell.
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 15:38   #16
Cannon_Fodder

Quote:
It was published in 2004, how many ****ing books does he spew out every year?

Also it's not that you have to, the whole point is that you can just pick one up and read it and you won't need to know anything from beforehand. It's just that it helps to identify with the characters and that's why a lot of people keep reading the books. It's similar logic for a lot of soap operas and shit like that.
Heh, that was me seeing the cover, and the gaps of my memory made me think it was an old one.

Also are you critising that logic or supporting it I can't tell
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 15:42   #17
JonnyBGood
Banned

I'm not really criticising it. I'm just pointing out that you can find much better quality fiction elsewhere.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 15:49   #18
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Thud! by Pratchett wasn't bad, although I only listened to the audio version. I think that was the last fiction book I finished.
Someone got me that for Xmas, it was pretty good.

since that i read a crappy book called "merde actually" which someone else got me for xmas.

and i think perhaps The Brothers Karamazov should be in the top post rather than the idiot. I have heard from many people (including people here!) that it is his best work. I haven't read it though, despite reading the idiot, which is ace.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 16:13   #19
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoom
I'm a huge fan of Tom Clancy and Ludlum. Clive Cussler is pretty good aswell.
I have read every book by Clancy, and I think he's great. I've read some of Ludlum as well, and enjoyed them rather much, but haven't read anything by Cussler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
and i think perhaps The Brothers Karamazov should be in the top post rather than the idiot. I have heard from many people (including people here!) that it is his best work. I haven't read it though, despite reading the idiot, which is ace.
You might be correct, but I didn't read The Brothers Karamazov yet, thought it is in the to-do list.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 16:18   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I think the continuing trend of "Real life stuff, BUT WITH MAGIC OR STEAM OR SOMETHING!" is annoying, as is his approach to some other things, so I found it a bit mediocre.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 16:26   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I think the continuing trend of "Real life stuff, BUT WITH MAGIC OR STEAM OR SOMETHING!" is annoying, as is his approach to some other things, so I found it a bit mediocre.
Some of the devices remind me of the Flintstones.

It's rather samey as his last n books, but I like the Vimes character and most of his "urban" profiles so I am relatively forgiving. It's certainly not a challenging read (or listen, in my case) but it flows quite well and is entertaining enough.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 16:30   #22
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

I came halfway trough Peace and War... then I quited. I found it a waste of time. And this was when I was in the army and had nothing to do

Tolstoj has some great novels though, who is well worth reading.

I suggest reading Catch 22 and "A small town in Germany" (or is it a small city in Germany?) by John Le Carre.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 16:36   #23
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I thought that was probably his weakest writing to date. Going Postal wasnt very good either. I hope he hasnt lost it

edit: I prefer his later serious stuff to the early 'jokey' books, so I'm not just doing a "Discworld was better 10 years ago!" thing.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 16:51   #24
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The reason I like thud! is largely to do with Vimes as well I think. He is certainly my favourite character of his, and one of the only main characters not to be stupidly powerful (Rincewind being the other obvious exception, but he still has the nigh unstoppable luggage to help him). This may have changed recently though, as Thud! was the first Pratchett I have read in a number of years and he seems to churn them out at a rate of knots.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 16:51   #25
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I disagree, I find the attitudes of a population in a totally different society makes it even more intriguing.

Nod, I agree on Going Postal, but the second half of the book was pretty good.

For books to read, you should read John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden. I assume you've read Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 16:55   #26
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
edit: I prefer his later serious stuff to the early 'jokey' books, so I'm not just doing a "Discworld was better 10 years ago!" thing.
He's been writing them for so long that your protest is anachronistic - Feet of Clay, for example, was one (admittedly one of the earlier examples) of his more "serious" style, and it was published in 1996.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I disagree, I find the attitudes of a population in a totally different society makes it even more intriguing.
It's a iPod but it's the diskword so it uses an imp lol I'm a genius!
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 17:01   #27
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
He's been writing them for so long that your protest is anachronistic - Feet of Clay, for example, was one (admittedly one of the earlier examples) of his more "serious" style, and it was published in 1996.
Well, whatever. I meant that I prefer the later books (which I'd define arbitrarilly as post-Hogfather) to the earlier books, which tend to be a bit more jokey and lighthearted.

PS: Feet of Clay sucked. Jingo and Theif of Time are probably my favourite Discworld books, both of which were late(ish).

Last edited by Nodrog; 16 Jan 2006 at 17:07.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 17:05   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Jingo and Theif of Time are probably my favourite books, both of which were late(ish).
Jingo was 1997!
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 17:06   #29
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There was just a thread about books on the other forum :redface:

I'm currently reading Asimov's Guide to the Bible by Isaac Asimov and The troublesome offspring of cardinal Guzman by Louis de Berniere.

I'm really liking Louis de Berniere books at the moment - the one i'm reading is the third part of a trilogy. Fictional yet based on fact, funny in parts, gruesome in parts, sad in parts, surreal in parts. It's great!

Other writers:
Bill Bryson
Michael Moore
Iain Banks
Terry Pratchett
John O'Farrell

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 17:06   #30
Nodrog

Quote:
Jingo was 1997!
Which was both less than 10 years ago, and after the Hogfather boundary!
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 17:07   #31
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
John O'Farrell
<3 John O Farrell, i didnt think anyone else here read him
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 17:12   #32
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
It's a iPod but it's the diskword so it uses an imp lol I'm a genius!
I don't see how a device's workings reflects a society's attitudes .

Look at the city as a whole, how it runs, the inter-relationships between everything. Vetinari as a successful tyrant, the Guilds, the Watch, the other parts of the Disc. When Pratchett briefly cites events that you've read about in other books (e.g. the Watch having a werewolf), it's fascinating to see others' reactions to this. It's something that I appreciate and which I expect that you don't.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 17:13   #33
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Night Watch is probably one of my favourite Discworld novels, and was relatively recent so I'm presuming he's not lost it.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 17:18   #34
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm currently working my way through the Dan Brown 4.
I read THE Dan Brown one a while ago, but personally I thought it was overrated. I'm currently reading Angels and Demons, which is a much better book in my opinion (and also vaguely interesting from a geeky point of view).
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 17:29   #35
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
I'm currently working my way through the Dan Brown 4.
I read THE Dan Brown one a while ago, but personally I thought it was overrated. I'm currently reading Angels and Demons, which is a much better book in my opinion (and also vaguely interesting from a geeky point of view).
The techno wankery at the start is probably the best bit of that book.

sorry
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 17:30   #36
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

things i agree with:

-The technology-with-magic thing (the Gooseberry in Thud! is painful to read)
-Nightwatch being Pratchett's apex thus far
-Thief of Time and Jingo not being far behind
-Hogfather being the watershed
-the background operation of Ankh-Morpork suddenly being a frequent joy to read rather than non-existent (which I think probably really started around Jingo)

things I disagree with:

-Going Postal being called bad without mention of Monstrous Regiment.

edit: oh, and men at arms is the exception. it was early, but had a darker tone and was absolutely ****ing fantastic.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées

Last edited by Phang; 16 Jan 2006 at 17:36.
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 17:59   #37
Nodrog

Men at Arms was really really good, probably one of the best Discworld novels. It has to be balanced against Guards Guards! though, which sucked. Also, I liked Monstrous Regiment. The ending was dreadful, and it seemed like he had no idea how to resolve things in a coherent manner so just resorted to absurdity. But the rest of the book was ok. Going Postal, on the other hand, read like an inferior version of The Truth.

Also yeah, Night Watch was really cool.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 18:00   #38
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Which was both less than 10 years ago, and after the Hogfather boundary!
You should have expressed it as 1.0 x 10^1, so your precision was clearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I don't see how a device's workings reflects a society's attitudes .
Yeah, I had no idea why you replied to a post of mine about the technological aspects of the society with a social commentary schtick, so I just kept on going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
and also vaguely interesting from a geeky point of view
It's the Illuminati one, correct? If you're interested in that kind of thing, Foucault's Pendulum (by Umberto Eco, professor of cleverness at the University of Milan) or the Illuminatus! Trilogy might be more up your ally.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 18:18   #39
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

"I comma square bracket recruit's name square bracket comma do solemnly swear by square bracket recruit's deity of choice square bracket...to uphold the Laws and Ordinances of the city of Ankh-Morpork, serve the public trust comma and defend the subjects of His stroke Her bracket delete whichever is inappropriate bracket Majesty bracket name of reigning monarch bracket...without fear comma favor comma or thought of personal safety semi-colon to pursue evil-doers and protect the innocent comma laying down my life if necessary in the cause of said duty comma so help me bracket aforesaid deity bracket full stop Gods Save the King stroke Queen bracket delete whichever is inappropriate bracket full stop."
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 18:29   #40
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Going Postal, on the other hand, read like an inferior version of The Truth.
somewhat inescapbly, because both books had the same purpose: introducing a new dynamic and set of characters to the ankh-morpork landscape. it wasnt as good as the truth, certainly, but vetinari was cool as all hell in that book and moist is someone i'd like to see show up again.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 18:36   #41
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
somewhat inescapbly, because both books had the same purpose: introducing a new dynamic and set of characters to the ankh-morpork landscape. it wasnt as good as the truth, certainly, but vetinari was cool as all hell in that book and moist is someone i'd like to see show up again.
It wasn't really introducing a new dynamic (as the book itself says, the Post Office is extremely old, just inefficient), and there's no reason why he needed to devote a book to it - even the clacks towers didn't even get a book to themselves, they just featured heavily in a few others.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 18:37   #42
furball

Quote:
Yeah, I had no idea why you replied to a post of mine about the technological aspects of the society with a social commentary schtick, so I just kept on going.
Your post appeared to be addressing more the reason why you disliked the books rather than an actual focus on the magic and how it affects devices. That's what I responded on.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 18:38   #43
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
Vetinari was shit in Going Postal Compare to Night Watch or Jingo.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 18:43   #44
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

I used to read books once upon a time. now I listen to them on my iPod, which is actually more interesting. Plus I can play with my son and "read" at the same time. ace

I am currently listening to a very shallow book though "Why Men Don't Have a Clue, and Women Need More Shoes"
I Just finished reading "Big Bad Wolf" by James Patterson.
I read "The Da Vinci Code" ages ago, and "Angels and Demons" which was better.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 18:48   #45
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chika
I used to read books once upon a time. now I listen to them on my iPod, which is actually more interesting. Plus I can play with my son and "read" at the same time. ace
I can see how this would be cool for fiction but I imagine for more serious reading where you find yourself trying to concentrate on particular passages or reread certain bits it could get irritating always having to hit the rewind button.

PS What's planet simpson about t&f?
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 18:51   #46
Nodrog

It wouldnt even be cool for fiction - it would take about 5 times as long to finish a book, plus it would be annoying reading passages more than once, plus you probably couldnt concentrate properlyl. It might be ok for horrible popfiction which you dont really care about anyway, but thats about it (and why would you read this sort of thing in the first place??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I intend to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenace as recommended by Dante.
If you stop reading halfway through, you might come away with the impression it's a decent book.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 18:52   #47
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I can see how this would be cool for fiction but I imagine for more serious reading where you find yourself trying to concentrate on particular passages or reread certain bits it could get irritating always having to hit the rewind button.

PS What's planet simpson about t&f?
I have to agree. I absolutely, positively, could not have listened to "The Da Vinci Code". I reserched so many things in that book it was ridiculous. Listening to a College text book, surely wouldn't hold many people's attention.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 19:15   #48
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
If you stop reading halfway through, you might come away with the impression it's a decent book.
I got extremely bored with it about half way through but struggled through to the end.
And now I can't remember much from it...

It didn't leave a good enough impression on me to read it again but I do remember recommending it to people when I started reading it.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 19:31   #49
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I finished Thud! not long ago as well, and thought it was rather good. Reading 'Velocity' by Dean Koontz at the moment, a crime/thriller type book which is rather good.
I won £50 of book tokens just before christmas, so went on a bit of a spree at Waterstones, so I have:
'The Innocent' (Harlan Coben), Thirteen Steps Down (Ruth Rendell), The Closers (michael Connoly), I am Charlotte Simmons (Tom Wolfe) and The Dwarves of Death (Jonathan Coe)
to read.
What a Carve Up!, The Rotters' Club and The Closed Circle by Jonathan Coe are all rather good, I would reccomend.

oh, and the 'Goosebetrry' in Thud! was quite obviously a Blackberry 'parody' and not an iPod.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 19:39   #50
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I couldn't remember what it was called, I read it some time ago.