User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 18 Sep 2005, 14:22   #1
cressa
Quietly Judging You !

cressa is a jewel in the roughcressa is a jewel in the roughcressa is a jewel in the roughcressa is a jewel in the rough
British Rap

Just kinda watching this download thing on Channel 4,

An MC from Liverpool has won some sort of competition for Ms Dynamite to come to his area and perform.

All good you might think, but the MC and his "mates" may as well be from compton from the way they speak and dress. Now I have no problem with british rap or in no way racist ( The MC happens to be black ) but why the hell does british rap not have its own indentity , it all seem to borrow so heavily from america.

The result of this is the MC guy constantly thows moves, makes gun signs with his fingers basicly every cliche in the book

In most genres of music the UK manages to develop its own spin but not with rap why ?

P.S while Ms dynamite is performing they have a guy breaking on a matress and some guys playing basketball ( if i had a case i would rest it at this point)
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 14:27   #2
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: British Rap

Find the underground acts, or the old ones. Of course there are a lot of people who fell for the whole "compton" thing and think they are from South Central (that's a thing in every country, and happened due to the comerzalization of rap culture), but there are alot of nice british rap that aren't like that, and has it's very distinct style.
Not that I can name names. My head does not work
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 14:38   #3
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've never heard anything by them but isn't there a couple of rappers called 'The Mitchell Brothers' who try and make it a bit more London/British-esque?

p.s. I'd say that national identity probably is of declining importance compared to international cultural values (or something). National identity is probably still the single most important defining characteristic, but if you think about (for instance) geek "culture" it's fairly internationalised. In terms of the music I listen to, the vocabulary I use, the things I read and even the types of things I find funny I've probably got more in common with some geeks from overseas than I do with most of the people on my street, for instance.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 14:46   #4
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i was just watching that.
I actually thought he was pretty good.

Where does the line between rap and hip-hop go? Because the Herbaliser definately show more britishness than other similar groups. And they're really good.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 15:04   #5
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Hold ya mouf!
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 15:06   #6
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

the answer to your question is simple. It's because rap is big steaming pile of shit
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 16:27   #7
cubass2
Still ace

cubass2 is a splendid one to beholdcubass2 is a splendid one to beholdcubass2 is a splendid one to beholdcubass2 is a splendid one to beholdcubass2 is a splendid one to beholdcubass2 is a splendid one to beholdcubass2 is a splendid one to behold
look sharp

UK Hip-Hop is a thriving and exciting genre in it's own right, you're making a sweeping statement based on something you just saw on a Sunday afternoon TV show.

There's a rich seam of music that exsists just below the veneer you base this particular opinion on and I don't mean that it's 'underground' or 'oh so alternative'. Act's like Roll Deep and consequently Dizzee Rascal have been intrumental in giving birth to sub-genre's like 'Grime' over the last few years for example. More recently guys like Kano and everything else that goes with whatever mildly amusing genre name someone will no doubt cook up have 'blown up', (as the highly talented (ok I mean he needs shooting again) Tim Westwood would say).

I won't mention The Streets and the UK garage scene tying into the same umbrella of MCing and 'Rap' as you call it for fear of the shitstorm that follows any mention of Skinners music these days. (I happen to like it but then I like everyting)

The scally scousers we saw on TV earlier were amusing but by no means a good representation of everything that goes on and has been going on for a very long time.

coughgoldlielookinchaincough

Last edited by cubass2; 18 Sep 2005 at 23:59.
cubass2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 16:29   #8
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

I disagree with you that British Rap/HipHop is very American. Firstly there is alot less swearing in UK stuff. Also every other word isnt joint/nigga/bitch/hoe/gun etc.

A small list of UK artists for you
Braintax
Foreign Beggars
Natty
Jehst
Klashnekoff
Rodney P
Skinnyman

More details about (most of) them are on www.karmadownload.com. Direct link to UK HipHop section http://www.karmadownload.com/genre/?13. Enjoy.
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 16:46   #9
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Lady Soverign - 9 to 5 is good.

the version with the Ordinary Boys isn't too bad either.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 18:37   #10
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The Mitchell Brothers are quite good actually. Mike Skinner writes most of their lyrics though.

The thing is, rappers are really lucky. They all had shit lives. If they'd all grown up in Woking like me I bet they'd have nothing to rap about. I'd have become a famous British rapper, otherwise. That's why we're all held back.
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 20:40   #11
Arachnidman
You love me really

Arachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond repute

Some uk rap is awesome. Check out channel U on sky.

Yeh roll deep are up there - but true, a lot of them take the piss a bit, and even go as far as to try and rap in an american accent. its quite funny.
Arachnidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 20:44   #12
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

this isn't limited to rap though. A lot of punk bands have are very Americanised. Even some pop acts, Busted or example owe more to Blink 182 than any British act.

Feeder are the latest example. I don't know if they are planning of breaking America but all the signes of their new album so far sound very Americanised.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 20:46   #13
Arachnidman
You love me really

Arachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it, that the natural singing accent is American?

It really annoys me, which is why I give so much respect to Solphi Ellis Bextor, Oasis, etc...
Arachnidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 21:33   #14
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
the answer to your question is simple. It's because rap is big steaming pile of shit

actually rap/hip hop at its 'high end' has been far more creative lyrically and in terms of tracks/beats than other genres (like rock) of late

and id agree with dante, the 'goth' look is as silly as any person adopting a 'rap' look.
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 21:35   #15
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madina
Skinnyman
He's amusing.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2005, 05:53   #16
Malice
not the daddy...

Malice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madina
I disagree with you that British Rap/HipHop is very American. Firstly there is alot less swearing in UK stuff. Also every other word isnt joint/nigga/bitch/hoe/gun etc.
If you scratch beyond the radio surface of American Hip-Hop, you will find a culture that has grown far beyond the typical motto of "Guns, Bitches, and Weed." Artists who know that for each slang/street/curse word, there are a couple dozen more extravagant words that meet the same end. It is not all about "slangin' in the ghetto" and "dollar bills y'all"

Artists of note:

Sage Francis
Aesop Rock
El-p
Lyrx Born
Eydea
Blackalicious
Tribe Called Quest

The list goes on.....
Unread 19 Sep 2005, 08:36   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusselt
and id agree with dante, the 'goth' look is as silly as any person adopting a 'rap' look.
I'd say neither was particularly silly actually (inherently). Although a "rap" image looks infinitely more ridiculous to my eyes, but that's a (racist) judgement call more than anything else.

Why anyone would want to adopt a look which seems to be be at least partially focussed on covering your body with corporate/sport logos and emphasising your wealth (gold, etc) is beyond me. Unless they're all trying to be terribly ironic or something.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2005, 09:08   #18
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: look sharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubass2
UK Hip-Hop is a thriving and exciting genre in it's own right, you're making a sweeping statement based on something you just saw on a Sunday afternoon TV show.

There's a rich seam of music that exsists just below the veneer you base this particular opinion on and I don't mean that it's 'underground' or 'oh so alternative'. Act's like Roll Deep and consequently Dizzee Rascal have been intrumental in giving birth to sub-genre's like 'Grime' over the last few years for example. More recently guys like Kano and everything else that goes with whatever mildly amusing genre name someone will no doubt cook up have 'blown up', (as the highly talented (ok I mean he needs shooting again) Tim Westwood would say).

I won't mention The Streets and the UK garage scene tying into the same umbrella of MCing and 'Rap' as you call it for fear of the shitstorm that follows any mention of Skinners music these days. (I happen to like it but then I like everyting)

The scally scousers we saw on TV earlier were amusing but by no means a good representation of everything that goes on and has been going on for a very long time.

coughgoldlielookinchaincough
it's funny you should mention a couple of them, cause as it is being portrayed in oz at the moment, acts like Dizzee Rascal & The Streets are the face of what we consider british hip-hop. Whether people here would agree to that tag or not I don't know, but I personally like their styles and think is a positive direction to head and the UK artists are nothing like the Americans at all.

We are undergoing a simular transformation ourselves, many Australian Rap & Hip-Hop artists have broken out of the stigma of immitating the American artists, and have forged a distinctive style for themselves. Examples of these would be Hilltop Hoods, Downsyde, Butterfingers and The Herd.
Unread 19 Sep 2005, 09:58   #19
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cressa
An MC from Liverpool has won some sort of competition for Ms Dynamite to come to his area and perform.
Oh c'mon - is that really supposed to be first prize??
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2005, 12:17   #20
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: look sharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
acts like Dizzee Rascal
You're brave. If I mentioned him, I'd get a million..... well, you know what you get from bitter people around here.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2005, 12:56   #21
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

As far as British Rap/Hip-Hop goes there is only one artist: Roots Manuva. Run come save me and Awfully Deep are excellent albums.

Roots Manuva's definitely put a UK spin on things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots Manuva - Evil Rabbit
Two sides to the Penny,
Two sides to the bread,
Two sides to the biscuit,
Ten sides to my head.

I'm every man, I'm every cause, I'm every wimb.
Concoction of cocktail,
Scotch, Rum and Gin.

I hate this world so much I'm shitting out love.

I'm healthy,
I'm workin' out at the pub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots Manuva - Witness (The fitness)
The bionic zit splitter,
Breakneck speed,
We drown ten pints of bitter.
We lean all day.
And some say that ain't productive.
But that depends upon the demon that you're stuck with.
'Cos right now,
I see clearer than most,
I sit here contented with this cheese on toast.
being good examples.

I can't say anything about mainstream UK Rap/Hip-Hop as I think it's mostly utter crap.

Last edited by Weeks; 19 Sep 2005 at 13:09.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote