User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 9 Oct 2005, 16:16   #1
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society
Printer Advice

Ok, well I've just got myself a nice shiney new PC, and I think I need to get a printer to go along with it.

Budget isnt exactly huge, £150 max, and I'm after something that is pretty good.

It will mostly (only?) be used for colour printing, normally photo quality things, DVD covers etc. Now then, I understand this is going to be very ink intesive, so I'm looking for a printer that can do photo quality, at a reasonable speed, and also get a large number of covers churned out per ink.

I know absolutely nothing about printers, so I leave this in your capable hands.
Unread 10 Oct 2005, 05:39   #2
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Printer Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
Ok, well I've just got myself a nice shiney new PC, and I think I need to get a printer to go along with it.

Budget isnt exactly huge, £150 max, and I'm after something that is pretty good.

It will mostly (only?) be used for colour printing, normally photo quality things, DVD covers etc. Now then, I understand this is going to be very ink intesive, so I'm looking for a printer that can do photo quality, at a reasonable speed, and also get a large number of covers churned out per ink.

I know absolutely nothing about printers, so I leave this in your capable hands.
Canon PIXMA iP4200

Canon PIXMA iP5200

List of resellers here

Photo quality is subjective, there are printers well and truly outside your price range designated as photo quality, but I think for your purposes these will do just fine. The quality is outstanding, at 1 picolitre droplet size even with a magnifying glass you'll have a hard time picking the difference anyway. Ink usuage is not as bad as you would think, it will vary per picture that you print and how much coverage of each colour it has. I've found through my own personal experience the Canon printers are a good balance between quality and economy of ink. Having seperate ink tanks helps as well and you'll probably find it's more 1 or two colours you run out of more so than the rest.

The main difference between the two above is print speed, if it isn't that much of an issue for you then go with the 4200 (which still has a respectable 25 seconds for a full edge to edge a4 page, as opposed to the 19 seconds of the 5200).

As an added advantage you can print directly to CDs & DVDs that have printable surfaces, good for those *cough*pirated*cough* dvd's to go with the covers. They also features duplexing (means you can print to both sides of page automatically), and two paper trays.
Unread 10 Oct 2005, 18:14   #3
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Printer Advice

My parents have the 2nd one of those, and it's rather good