User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Nov 2003, 23:05   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Firewalls, Direct Connect, and port access and forwarding

Ohhhkay.
So here in our house, we have a direct connect hub.
We also have a linux server which acts as a router, firewall, dhcp server - all the routine networky stuff.

Anyhow, I've been setting up access to the hub from outside the house, as I thought it'd be useful for me to be able to get files off my machine at uni. At the moment, access is very strictly limited - the server will only forward connections to the hub inside the network when they originate from a few specific external IP addresses that I have entered. I hope this isn't causing the problem - I havn't losened the thing cos I don't want the hub accessable to the net at large.

So, I can connect from uni fine.
I can browse my files, download stuff from my machine inside the network to the ones at uni, no probs.
The problem came when I realised I'd got some stuff at my parent's I wanted, so I added their IP to the allow list on the network server and asked my brother to connect so I could get the files.
Try as I might, I couldn't get stuff off that machine from mine here inside the house network. Further experimenting and a few patient mates later proved I couldn't get anything off ANY machine that was outside the house network when I was using the hub while inside the house network.

This, I suspect, boils down to me needing to open some ports somewhere - but I don't know which ones and can't seem to find out.
I've also tried using DC++ in passive mode, not active which didn't help. The network server has a socks4/5 proxy but it doesn't re-route back to internal addresses so I can't use the socks proxy to connect to the internal hub while I'm also on the internal network (still following?).

If anyone can suggest what I need to open or can tell me if there are some settings somewhere I've overlooked, I'd appreciate it!

Right now I'm messing about with Cygwin, OpenSSHD and SFTP as an alternative (I refuse to expose an unprotected FTP server to the internet) but DC would be a lot easier if someone can fix it for me!

Unread 4 Nov 2003, 23:23   #2
Caesar2
Commander

Caesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really nice
Re: Firewalls, Direct Connect, and port access and forwarding

i found on their site (http://www.neo-modus.com/?page=Help)

this:
Q: I have a internet connection sharing device and would like to set Direct Connect up for active mode. What ports does it use?
A: By default, Direct Connect uses random ports for TCP and UDP data. This can be configured in the Direct Connect preferences. In the preferences window, choose ‘Connection’ and click the ‘Advanced…’ button. A new dialog will appear. From here you’ll be able to configure Direct Connect’s port usage.

You were just "bashed", live with it.
Caesar2 is offline   Reply With Quote