User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 1 Sep 2005, 17:40   #1
jgolby

computer troube

I had installed a new CPU fan and jst fired her up for the 1st time, all gud, then the power calbe to my side case fan (which was unplugged as i had the side off) touched part of the metal chasis, i saw a small blue spark. this is obviousley a short. The computer turns on now, fans spin etc bt the thing wont POST, ideas?
Unread 1 Sep 2005, 18:22   #2
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: computer troube

Don't power up without the side cover?

This is gonna get moved to the other forum, but until it does...

1 - Does the monitor get sync info? (The light turns from orange to green etc...)
2 - Does the machine give any sounds (beeps from the onboard speaker)
3 - Give more details

Easiest ways to troubleshoot.
Replace graphics card with any old one, as a PC won't boot without one.
Take memory out - listen for the beeps
Put single memory boards in.

You get the idea...

Take battery out and short battery slot + and - with a screwdriver. Test again.

Post on a forum that you haven't just joined and people know you and are more likely to help you.

Go to fking Experts Exchange or something instead making your introductory post on a General Discussions board a problem with your PC which no fker cares about.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2005, 00:47   #3
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

it's clearly some really clever marketting ploy to try and make us buy CPU fans, case fans, motherboards etc! we're on to you marketting types, and you're not welcome here!
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2005, 00:52   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

personally, i think theres a high probability that the cpu / mobo / memory has been fried by it.
Unread 2 Sep 2005, 10:19   #5
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Motherboard failure. Its likely to be the only componentdirectly mounted to the chassis that would have been affected by a short.

And a shit power supply. It shouldnt fry anything just for touching it! I assume it has the plastic connectors all intact?
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2005, 11:54   #6
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
it's clearly some really clever marketting ploy to try and make us buy CPU fans, case fans, motherboards etc! we're on to you marketting types, and you're not welcome here!
BAN HIM!

Where are the mods?

Maybe it is time for a change...
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2005, 12:01   #7
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

im going to move this. tbh i cant quite believe that even with a link at the top of GD we still get 'help me my pcis broke' threads.....
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote