User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 21 Jun 2005, 13:18   #1
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Plasma TVs

I'm looking to buy, ASAP, a plasma screen for my bedroom, but unfortunately I don't know a lot about them so I wondered if people could help. (Although I have little to offer in return, except pos rep).

My requirements are:
  • Preferably 37", I think 42" may be slightly too big.
  • Be a well known brand - eg Panasonic (although I don't really like the Sony ones)
  • Be able to go on my wall - so I'll need a wall bracket.
  • The more scart sockets the better.
  • Quick delievery.
  • Preferably be from a well known supplier. I appreciate this may mean I'm spending slighlty more money, but when it goes wrong in 6 months I want to be able to take it back/sort it out.
  • My budget is about £1,500 including wall bracket (which typcially seem to be about £200).

What sort of things on the specification should I be looking for?
Where should I be looking to get it from?
How hard are these things to put up?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 13:25   #2
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
Re: Plasma TVs

i'd never buy one, requires way too much electricity.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 13:29   #3
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I can't help you but maybe someone could answer this question for me. Why do some of these new tvs have lights on the sides of them? I think they are called ambi-lights or something but I'm not sure. What is the point of them and what are they supposed to do?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 13:37   #4
cisco
B0B's m8

cisco will become famous soon enoughcisco will become famous soon enough

it is so that when you are watching programmes on tv the tv can 'add' extra lighting which will then be visible around your tv when an event happens on whatever you are watching, for instance an explosion in a movie, will have extra red and yellow coloring around the set, it may seem like a bit of a ghey idea, but if ya ever get a chance to watch one pls try it cos i think they are awesome, maybe not however worth the extra money you would have to pay to get one

as for your question Stew, try this link, i found it very usefull when buying my plasma screen
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

(pls add to my rep if you like my comments )
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 13:45   #5
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
i'd never buy one, requires way too much electricity.
I don't pay for the electricity.

I forgot to add, I have quite a decent surround sound so don't great sound from it.

As a benchmark, what is this like?
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 13:48   #6
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco
it is so that when you are watching programmes on tv the tv can 'add' extra lighting which will then be visible around your tv when an event happens on whatever you are watching, for instance an explosion in a movie, will have extra red and yellow coloring around the set, it may seem like a bit of a ghey idea, but if ya ever get a chance to watch one pls try it cos i think they are awesome, maybe not however worth the extra money you would have to pay to get one

as for your question Stew, try this link, i found it very usefull when buying my plasma screen
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

(pls add to my rep if you like my comments )
How does that work? Is it a signal transmitted with new shows like teletext is, or does it just send out bright colours when the screen brightens up?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 13:52   #7
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

i have no idea about this stuff, but i saw a few of these TVs in a shop (the cheaper ones) and the pictures was the pure horror, so id advise to go to a 'Real' shop and have a look. if they are too expensive there you can still go out and order online, but at least then you know what you are buying.
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 14:02   #8
cisco
B0B's m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
I don't pay for the electricity.

I forgot to add, I have quite a decent surround sound so don't great sound from it.

As a benchmark, what is this like?
doesn't look to bad, but pls when u see a model that you like, google it, the one you said for instance you can get £100 cheaper HERE
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 14:05   #9
cisco
B0B's m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
How does that work? Is it a signal transmitted with new shows like teletext is, or does it just send out bright colours when the screen brightens up?
Well.... i am no whizz myself, so may i direct you HERE
it explains it better than i can
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 14:13   #10
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Plasma are nice. The only problem I've heard, but may be nothing more than rumour is that that have a considerable short life expectancy?
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 14:34   #11
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
I can't help you but maybe someone could answer this question for me. Why do some of these new tvs have lights on the sides of them? I think they are called ambi-lights or something but I'm not sure. What is the point of them and what are they supposed to do?
These lights that your talking about are I believe only on Panasonic TV's atm and they are supposed to make watching the TV less stressful on the eyes. They basically act as a 'backlight' which relaxes the eyes and makes focusing on the image alot easier over a period of time

As for someone comments on the life span of a plasma tv, it did used to be a problem but most things ive read indicate that modern ones are now expected to last atleast 20-30 years which is longer than most people will want to keep a tv anyway

One thing for anyone looking to buy a plasma now should look out for is is the TV HD ready. Many plasmas arent going to be suitable for a HD signal and when your spending that kind of money you want to future proof youself somewhat so its worth spending a little bit more to ensure this. After all by the end of this year start of next the HD versions fo DVD's will be making an apperance, as will skys HD service.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 14:40   #12
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco
Well.... i am no whizz myself, so may i direct you HERE
it explains it better than i can
did you try that? if that makes any difference it sounds intresting. i usually have some light on when watching TV anyway
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 14:51   #13
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

HD = High Definition.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 15:11   #14
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i wouldn't if i were you.

they hum.

not very loudly, but it's discernable.

and very very annoying.
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 15:24   #15
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
i wouldn't if i were you.

they hum.

not very loudly, but it's discernable.

and very very annoying.
They're only meant to hum at altitude (6500ft up)

And how am I meant to know if the screens I'm looking at are HD Wakey?
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 15:27   #16
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
There will probably be a big proud sign saying so
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 15:29   #17
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
they lie.
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 15:42   #18
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
Plasma are nice. The only problem I've heard, but may be nothing more than rumour is that that have a considerable short life expectancy?
the plasma has to be replaced every 5 years.

(poor sar)
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 15:48   #19
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Heaven's a long long way up you know

HD TV's will as was said usually have nice big writing to say so. Also, as I understand it, they'll usually have component inputs for YUV, YPbPr or YCbCr as that's what most HD & DVD boxes use.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 15:49   #20
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
the plasma has to be replaced every 5 years.
(poor sar)
Is this a piss take or are you being thick?
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 15:56   #21
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
There will probably be a big proud sign saying so
Ah yes, it appears one or two do, but these are typically the smaller, more expensive, LCD screens.
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 16:38   #22
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Is this a piss take or are you being thick?
both.

edit : both plasma and LCD's have terrible lifespans compared to CRTs at the moment, though it's gotten vastly better for plasma lately.
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 20:23   #23
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Ah yes, it appears one or two do, but these are typically the smaller, more expensive, LCD screens.
Yeah LCD's will say HD ready alot more than in plasmas, in fact most LCD's even if it doesnt state it can handle the HD signal although they might not have the HD inputs so you dont get the best image possible from them.

HD ready plasmas are becoming more common though since Sky announced their HD service. Before then most companies had decided to fleece customers in the uk a bit by producing lower spec plasmas for the uk than the states knwoing they could get away with it as HD isnt something people were looking for or even knew about in here.

Being HD ready though is well worth it, anyone whos been to the states or any technology fairs will know how much better the image is. Anyone whos watched a football match for example will know that often in the long shots of the pitch the players can be a bit fuzzy but when you see the same image in HD its just amazing how clear it is. Anyone getting a new TV now, especially if they are spashing out on things like Plasmas are probally better off paying a little more now to save themselves an upgrade in the next 2-3 years, unless ofc its something you really think you can afford to do
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 20:28   #24
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Being HD ready though is well worth it, anyone whos been to the states or any technology fairs will know how much better the image is. Anyone whos watched a football match for example will know that often in the long shots of the pitch the players can be a bit fuzzy but when you see the same image in HD its just amazing how clear it is. Anyone getting a new TV now, especially if they are spashing out on things like Plasmas are probally better off paying a little more now to save themselves an upgrade in the next 2-3 years, unless ofc its something you really think you can afford to do
Yes, it really does sound like something that is obviously a plus. However, it means nearly doubling the price from around £1100 to around £2000, which takes it over my budget
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 20:29   #25
ceres

ceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud of

http://www.order-247.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?number=2188

That seems quite a good deal.
________
Club Royal Condominium Wong Amat

Last edited by ceres; 31 Aug 2011 at 07:04.
ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 20:29   #26
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
both.

edit : both plasma and LCD's have terrible lifespans compared to CRTs at the moment, though it's gotten vastly better for plasma lately.
Ofc they do, CRT is like the Grandad of TV technology with Plasma and LCD being young kids. Its had time to gain reliability but plasmas especially are gaining on them fairly quickly (LCD's still struggle somewhat with pixel fading but are getting better)
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 20:34   #27
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceres
Was expecting that to be tunerless at that price, but it has a tuner also. However he wanted a named brand which this isnt. One of the problems he has with his budget, your lookinga ta adding a few hundred quid just for the name
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 20:46   #28
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
If you can't tell, then it doesn't matter.
Unread 22 Jun 2005, 00:57   #29
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Goto richer sounds and have a look at them
Unread 23 Jun 2005, 02:09   #30
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

sounds rich.
Unread 23 Jun 2005, 10:09   #31
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madina
Goto richer sounds and have a look at them
Their website is somewhat lacking. They might have a better selection instore if theres one local mind you.
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 23 Jun 2005, 10:42   #32
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/plasma-display.htm
Unread 23 Jun 2005, 12:45   #33
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldnt bother with one of them even if i had the cash. Sony & Toshiba have stopped making them a few months back, that kinder says it all for me:/ (they are instead investing in the next gen which im sure will be more HD friendly).

If you are after a big screen, go splash your cash on a projection setup. Otherwise you can find great bargains on large CRT widescreens, yes their size is limited but they are solid & reliable and 100hz is standard for the high spec CRT.

I personally cant wait for HD TV, ive seen a promo setup in Comet and it blew me away. It was shown on the new DLP RearProjection TV from Tosh which may be worth looking into. This DLP apparently fixes many of the "bugs" common in rear prjection TVs, while i dont know how true this is i can certainly state that it looked truley amazing combined with a HD player.
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 07:53   #34
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

Emperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to all

Whichever you get make sure you don't leave teletext, or any other static image on and go away for any length of time. We had two plasmas, ceiling mounted, at work with diagnostic programs displayed on them, and after a few hours on the first day we switched one over to something else and the meters from the last program were burned into the screen for the next 30 mins or so. I'd imagine this gets even worse with time, but I'm not 100% sure as we switched them for LCDs of the same size almost right away after we noticed this issue.

Kick the Baby! - did we rock your world?
Emperor Rozenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 11:50   #35
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mace
I wouldnt bother with one of them even if i had the cash. Sony & Toshiba have stopped making them a few months back, that kinder says it all for me:/ (they are instead investing in the next gen which im sure will be more HD friendly).

If you are after a big screen, go splash your cash on a projection setup. Otherwise you can find great bargains on large CRT widescreens, yes their size is limited but they are solid & reliable and 100hz is standard for the high spec CRT.

I personally cant wait for HD TV, ive seen a promo setup in Comet and it blew me away. It was shown on the new DLP RearProjection TV from Tosh which may be worth looking into. This DLP apparently fixes many of the "bugs" common in rear prjection TVs, while i dont know how true this is i can certainly state that it looked truley amazing combined with a HD player.
I think your getting a little mixed up. While Sony and tosh may have stopped producing the old generation Plasmas they are still producing HD capable ones. After all if your wanting the highest quality image from a large TV plasma that looks good in your home its your only real option. Rear projection TV's are fairly good but they have the major problem of being fairly large, not too attractive peices of kit. Alot of people simply dont want a something that has a massive footprint and looks like a bland box sitting in their room. certainly not in the uk anyway.

The only other option is as you said is a projection setup but the problem is most rooms in a house simply arent that suitable to get a good setup for a projector, its the kind of thing that needs the room its in designed around it rather than something you can place in a room with littlle thought.,

Also on the CRT matter, 100hz tv's arent actually that great, my crt downstairs for example has it and most of the time its turned off because while 100hz is on it can cause alot of ghosting and image breakups, especially on things like sporting events
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 11:59   #36
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Rozenski
Whichever you get make sure you don't leave teletext, or any other static image on and go away for any length of time. We had two plasmas, ceiling mounted, at work with diagnostic programs displayed on them, and after a few hours on the first day we switched one over to something else and the meters from the last program were burned into the screen for the next 30 mins or so. I'd imagine this gets even worse with time, but I'm not 100% sure as we switched them for LCDs of the same size almost right away after we noticed this issue.
Its a problem with most TV types but early plasmas had this problem alot but it has been improved. Also alot of TV's and other AV equipment now has features to prevent this such as screensavers ect ect so it not as much of a problem as it used to be
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 12:07   #37
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Rozenski
I think to solve this problem most plasmas can do a 'grey screen' for 15 minutes which negates the effects of screen burn.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 13:32   #38
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

plasma TV's go bad after a few years. Going to sleep with the TV on really is a big no no with a plasma.
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 13:33   #39
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

I think people are overlooking the more important issue of where the **** did Stew get £1500 from and why does he need to do this ASAP?

I don't think a bank robbery is very likely so my money's on some dodgy tax thing.
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 16:33   #40
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chika
plasma TV's go bad after a few years. Going to sleep with the TV on really is a big no no with a plasma.
No they dont, its a big myth about plasmas built up due to the early versions. Infact a LCD tv/monitor will start to go much sooner than a Plasma atm.

And going to sleep would only be an issue if its on a channel which stops broadcasting and shows a static image,
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 19:31   #41
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarak
I think people are overlooking the more important issue of where the **** did Stew get £1500 from and why does he need to do this ASAP?

I don't think a bank robbery is very likely so my money's on some dodgy tax thing.
I get a £7,000 interest free loan for starting work.
I want it now because I start work (different work) in a week so wanted it sorted before then.

No dodgy tax thing
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 20:05   #42
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
I get a £7,000 interest free loan for starting work.
you ****er !
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 21:04   #43
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

It's what happens when you sell your soul to Deloitte (or was that Ste?)
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 21:04   #44
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
No dodgy tax thing
I could put you in touch with some people...
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 21:30   #45
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader

Rikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really nice

Ambilights are from Phillips btw not Panasonic

<zhil|reportwrit> Rikard - I dont know you
<zhil|reportwrit> so you're insignificant

eXilition - LCH - Destiny - Conspiracy - Night Witches - eXcessum
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 22:17   #46
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

When it comes to TV's i never buy them before seeing them in a shop to view their screen quality.
Unread 24 Jun 2005, 23:23   #47
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
When it comes to TV's i never buy them before seeing them in a shop to view their screen quality.
That wont help because the staff in these shops are idiots and couldnt set a tv up to save their life. You couldnt set them up worse if you tried yet they expect to be able to sell them. Its the same with PCWorld with their monitors
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 25 Jun 2005, 01:15   #48
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
It's what happens when you sell your soul to Deloitte
No, that's me
Unread 25 Jun 2005, 02:08   #49
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

projection screens are pretty nice, we currently have a 54' proejction screen in our house and it works a treat, shame that the only problem is u hae to be sitting at a certain level for a 'perfect' image