User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 18 Oct 2009, 03:00   #1
Ratcha

Ratcha will become famous soon enoughRatcha will become famous soon enough
My view

As it seems to me at the moment, currently winning or getting a good rank in PA is when you have the time to log at least every other hour. Shortly said only for the die hard players who give up a lot of real life thing for this game (no offense ivé also done this for a round and it was really exciting!).
I re-started playing PA in about maybe 5 years or more, I think it was round R16-R17, after playing the first few rounds without even know what I was doing, because some guys from school dragged me into it. In about R16 I was surfing on the internet, a bit bored and didn't know know what to do, and then suddenly I thought of PA what I used to play secretly on school (without the teachers knowing of course . I searched for the site and found out that it still existed. I signed up because I knew I used to have a lot of fun with it. After playing the last bit of that round I got hooked again on PA. I signed up for the next round and started, after some searching for more info on the game, looking for my first alliance. I ended up starting to play with my first alliance 'Hidden Agenda' (which turned out to be a great starting alliance to learn more about the game!!). I played a couple of rounds and starting to get more and more interest at the game. After some time, until R20 to be exactly, I was really into the game. At that time I was a student who went to school only when he wanted to, so I had a lot of free time. At that time I was nowhere near someone who really knew everything about how PA works (I'm convinced of that). I decide to trade my alliance for some other and I joined Vengeance . That round I didn't went much to school and played alot of PA. I had a very nice time with Vengeance and the game was going real well. Even though I didn't knew exactly what is was doing (of course I picked up some things because of playing with 2 alliances and learning from other players) I ended up endeing somewhere in T75. I think the only reason for me ending up 'high' in the ranking was because I had lots of time and nothing really else to do. So I think winning this game has less to do with your skillas then how much time you have for it.

My point actually is, to have more ppl attracted to this game, make less experienced ppl have more chance against ppl with years of experience. And find for a way (like the prelaunch and put buildings up in a queue) to make the game use less of your time. One idea is to make the game dependable on the different timezones, to give everybody around the glode the same time and the same chance of winning (don't even know if that's even possible, but would be nice, eh )

Well I'm gonna quit now, I'm drunk and I have to play a match in about 5 hours, but I just wanted to have this out

Cheers,
Ratcha
[R19: Hidden Agenda][Rank: 351]
[R20: Vengeance][Rank: 62]
[R21: Vengeance][Rank >200]
[R22: Vengeance][DNF]
[R23: Vengeance]

Its better to die on you're feet then to live on you're knees
Ratcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2009, 09:10   #2
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My view

"Please make PA easier".

Interesting idea, let's discuss...
Unread 19 Oct 2009, 11:34   #3
rUl3r

rUl3r has a spectacular aura aboutrUl3r has a spectacular aura about

Quite in interesting view, which many people I know who used to play might share. Some friends definitly stopped playing because in their eyes, the game is too time consuming.
From my experience that´s overall untrue though. Success in PA depends more on good organization than real activity imo. You need a small, reliable group to share the workload with, and the game turns much easier. Let me give you some example from Ascendancy.
Due to building fortress gals, it´s usually enough to have 1 DC per gal per night, given not all galaxies get hit every night and/or at the same time, that´s not too much hassle. I´ve played as a scanner this round, yet I could stand up to DC incs on my gal for a night or two.
You can also reduce the amount of time you need to spend on attacks. Regular teamup partners who care a little are pretty helpful there. You´ll always have some minutes spare at some point, or find someone who does.
Of course, if you want a large, value heavy planet, you´ll need to spend more time on the game than you need for an average t200 planet. But be sure you can get into t200 (or even t100) without being a maniac without real life. Imho, a proper team is more important there.

There have been suggestions earlier for an SMS alert in case you get incomings, probably on a micro payment basis (that is, buy a certain number of SMS just as you feel is suitable for a day/week/round). That would probably be a help for some people, even though I doubt I´d personally use it. Anyway, due to recent changes I don´t think you need to spend too much time on PA, considering you can queue constructions and researches and hide your fleet from incomings. It´s normal to spend more time on something if you want to be on the top, nobody would ever expect to join a football team and win a title without regular training.
rUl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2009, 12:17   #4
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

The core of the problem is that the game is real time, and open 24/7 without breaks. As long as this keeps on, it'll always reward high activity the most. Whether this is ultimately good or bad, is a different story, because playtimes will inevitably vary. Should five minutes of daily time warrant the same reward as one hour? What about fifteen minutes and five hours? Quality against quantity?

As rul3r implied, it really does apply to most things in life: if you want to succeed as something, you have to put a big effort into it.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2009, 07:11   #5
TeK
I Dislike carDi

TeK has a spectacular aura aboutTeK has a spectacular aura about

I dont believe the entire "time" argument is valid.
To have a top planet you need a few factors.... and im not going to go to far into detail on all of them.

1. Properly tied into the top alliances
2. " Target Selecting "
3. Alliance popularity... Def reasons.

I dont think it takes much time to come on and be able to get a quality target, its all about how you use what you got to your advantage. I always found it more profitable to attack on my own then with a BG, or alliance.... but i guess thats just me.

You can be the most active player in this game but if your on the losing side of the war and not properly playing your position and political alliance ties..... your going to end up with crap. Do Top 100 planets really mean anything these days? I always seen it as the early rounds had so many planets with bigger alliances, so that sort of had some value to finish top 100.
TeK is offline   Reply With Quote