User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 10 Oct 2007, 13:39   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Radiohead

I am currently in a queue to download the new Radionhead album. Now, this isn't something that I would normally do as I'm not really a fan but seeing as my music collection is rather limited at the moment and this album is legitimatly free,* I'm going to give it a go.

My initial thought is that this is a really good idea. I believe the idea of 'try before you buy' should be largely encouraged with music. This then gives you the option to give money to bands who make music you like, without the 'why did I waste my money on this piece of crap' factor.

Throught cutting out the major labels it also means more money to the artist involved, although I can't see this bringing down any record labels any time soon.

It's interesting that to register, not only do they want my name, home address and e-mail address but they also want my mobile phone number (it's a 'mandatory' section in fact). What this information will be used for is anyone's guess, but I'd imagine it will be used for advertising more directly to certain market groups, though this doesn't really strike me as Radioheads style.

I think another imprtant aspect of this whole venture is that the music download is in unproteced MP3 format so there are no restrictions about where or when it can be played. This is one of the major sticking points with major labels I think, the reluctance to accept that the music is out there for free anyway and it this free-floating format which they are trying to hinder.

I think such a practice might be useful for up and coming bands (especially with the advances of home recording) so thay can make their own albums or EPs and have fans to buy them to bring in a little income. I still think in this scenario it might be beneficial to allow people to listen for free initially, as this helps build up word of mouth and can bring people to their shows.

I'm hoping this signals a real change in which the music industry works and provides inspiration for up and coming acts in a real way (rather than putting songs on Myspace and hoping to be signed nonsense) to make it on their own.

The future is here, hopefully to stay.

*you can choose what you pay for it
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2007, 14:04   #2
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Radiohead

If you like it, are you then going to pay for it?

It'll be interesting to see how many albums are downloaded, and what the average money spent on one will be. If this initiative goes well, other artists might use it too!
Unread 10 Oct 2007, 16:08   #3
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I will, at some point. But not today. I might even get the digital box version.

Apparantly, they aren't giving out the sales figures or how much each person paid for it so it won't be in the charts.

Edit: After one listen I am quite impressed and it might actually change my mind about Radiohead. As a result of this album I am more likely to buy one of their earlier albums if I see it in a sale and I might go and see them live. This has helped raise their standing with me.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

Last edited by All Systems Go; 10 Oct 2007 at 16:17.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2007, 19:46   #4
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I'll buy it (the box set) because I support their circumvention of record lables.

If I knew the money was going directly to the artist I believe I would buy more music. I believe the rising artist-customer interaction through myspace-like ventures may help this. You're less likely to steal music from someone you know and have spoken too.

If I knew broadly what they were doing with their money - supporting charaties, etc - I would be even more willing. But then perhaps socially-aware bands aren't on the horizon.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2007, 20:16   #5
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

oh yes let's just make all those poor dear little music distributors, tudio owners and IP lawyers unemployed ... all to save £2.50 ... honestly talk about false economy
Unread 10 Oct 2007, 20:31   #6
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I found a record company a while ago which is based purely on donations:
http://www.quoteunquoterecords.com/

The only band I downloaded was Bomb the music industry! but the other bands look interesting too.

It's free so check them out and review them and then let us know if it's worth a listen

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2007, 21:29   #7
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I paid £1,42 for the album plus cc charge. but was worth it. Good album
Unread 13 Oct 2007, 13:12   #8
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
I think such a practice might be useful for up and coming bands (especially with the advances of home recording) so thay can make their own albums or EPs and have fans to buy them to bring in a little income. I still think in this scenario it might be beneficial to allow people to listen for free initially, as this helps build up word of mouth and can bring people to their shows.

I'm hoping this signals a real change in which the music industry works and provides inspiration for up and coming acts in a real way (rather than putting songs on Myspace and hoping to be signed nonsense) to make it on their own.
Do you not think theres a pragmatic difference between one of the biggest bands in the world eschewing advertising and major label distribution when releasing one of the most hyped up rock albums in years, and a relatively unknown band doing the same thing? How is this at all generalisable?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2007, 13:53   #9
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
generalisable
I hate you and everything you stand for.
Unread 13 Oct 2007, 17:56   #10
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

make sense steven
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2007, 12:57   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Do you not think theres a pragmatic difference between one of the biggest bands in the world eschewing advertising and major label distribution when releasing one of the most hyped up rock albums in years, and a relatively unknown band doing the same thing? How is this at all generalisable?
Of course there's some pragmatic difference, but it could be another indicator of the long term decline of the importance of these institutions. Think of it in these terms...

The "Big Four" are currently responsible for 80% of music sales in America. (Or so wiki says, it's unimportant really). If someone could demonstrate that for a band/act with a certain level of success/hype can make more money (or the same money with some other benefit) by following a non-record label route then that raises some interesting questions.

I've no idea how the numbers would stack up, but if all the people who don't need record labels left the record labels, what would they be left with? It's likely to be less than 80% of music sales at any rate. And as your revenue drifts south, your influence declines with it (less money to spend, you're perceived to be not as representative as you used to be, etc). But then this could mean that it's no longer just Radiohead or Paul McCartney or whomever who can afford to leave. It might be someone in the tier below them (whomever that is). Rinse, repeat.

It's likely there will be a role for managers, promoters and similar in the future music industry. But as an industry, the amount of value (for customers or artists) that the labels actually add to the average CD seems a bit out of proportion with their costs. So like many other industries, austerity will realign things a bit. 95% of those jobs might not exist in fifteen or twenty years time. That still puts them ahead of some industries.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2007, 13:16   #12
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The thing is with this is on Radioheads part this is nothing but a marketing ploy.

They have already lambasted the digital download's quality, not to mention have stated they are looking for a Label to sign with to release the album again with additional tracks that wont be available anywhere else thus forcing their fans to double dip.

By doing what they did they got £40 off all their fans for the main collectors set and will then sell the same album again when it gets a commerical release once they choose the label they will sign with. And while doing that they have got a load of press and probally alot of sales of the digital download to people who would never have bought a radiohead cd.

They shouldnt have used it as a 'creative' way of selling out and stuck to their guns. Imho they should have offered MP3, Lossless download and a CD all on the choose your own price basis. To cover the extra costs the Lossless download would have a minimum amount that covered the costs, the CD would be the same to cover the cost and postage and then anything else would be pure profit of the buyers choosing.

Hopefully some of the other artists that have left their record labels will stick to their guns and actually take full advantage of this new system
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote