User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 26 Jan 2006, 19:51   #51
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Britain to be shot down and quarantined by the thought police

**** you, quite frankly.

I'm allowed to state my opinion.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 19:52   #52
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I speak of probability as though the universe was subject to it.
And of 'God' as subject to the 'Universe'? Hence, my point.
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 19:54   #53
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
**** you, quite frankly.

I'm allowed to state my opinion.
And so am I, which is what I did. I'm happy we all consider free speech such an important part of debating.

Personally, I don't consider statements which lack evidence or even argument to be a particularly important part of debating, but whatever mang.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 19:56   #54
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Basic comprehension 0, Boogster 1.
Let's assume the Universe exists.

Me: So, how does the Universe exist?
Scientist Man: Well, I don't know.
Me: Aha! So God created it, then.
Scientist Man: No, it was a 30ft penis.
Me: Oh.
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 19:58   #55
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
And of 'God' as subject to the 'Universe'? Hence, my point.
So god creates the universe, goes off and plays some table football with buddha, comes back a bit later and fine tunes the physical forces of the universe? Inefficient and irrational isn't it? It seems to me to be either that or we accept that nothing supernatural fine-tuned the universe and things are that way because it's a brute fact.
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 19:58   #56
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Dante's post: Is there any specific reason, or evidence, that a "god"-like being should exist over some other non-proven entity, such as an invisible 30 foot penis?
Boogster: Are you suggesting a 30 foot penis created the universe? Surely sir, you must jest!
Me:
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 19:59   #57
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Yeah, that's how most things start out, but the person who wrote that wiki seems to be a lot more anti-RNA World than either my lecturer or my supervisors, so whilst it is still fairly controversial (everything is always controversial when you're dealing with evolution, because it's tending to be based on argument rather than setting up an experiment to demonstrate that feature) I'm not sure the wiki is providing a particularly balanced viewpoint.
Cambridge academics a bit ahead of their time?

Shocking.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 20:00   #58
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

God moves in mysterious ways, doesn't he?
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 20:02   #59
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Speaking of the creation of the universe could very well be described as a category level error. Everything in the universe has a cause, therefore the universe has a cause. I wouldn't go so far to say that it definitely is, just that the proposition that there has to be a cause for the universe isn't necessarily true.
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 20:04   #60
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
God moves in mysterious ways, doesn't he?
Sometimes he'll come in at an angle. He'll hover... swoop... sometimes he can come in from beneath like a worm, or a mole.
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 20:04   #61
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
Dante's post: Is there any specific reason, or evidence, that a "god"-like being should exist over some other non-proven entity, such as an invisible 30 foot penis?
Boogster: Are you suggesting a 30 foot penis created the universe? Surely sir, you must jest!
Me:
Boogster: I don't understand. Are you suggesting that a 30ft penis did ejaculate the universe?
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 20:05   #62
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Boogster: I don't understand. Are you suggesting that a 30ft penis did ejaculate the universe?
Dante's post did not state that the entity had to create the universe you buffoon, just that it "could" exist.
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 20:06   #63
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Sometimes he'll come in at an angle. He'll hover... swoop... sometimes he can come in from beneath like a worm, or a mole.
I hear he floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee...

he was also black.

make of that what you will.
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 20:07   #64
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
Dante's post did not state that the entity had to create the universe you buffoon, just that it "could" exist.
I am suggesting that the existence of the universe means that comtemplating the idea of a creator is more valid than contemplating the existence of an invisible phallus.
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 20:08   #65
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
I hear he floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee...

he was also black.

make of that what you will.
Look, this intellectual discussion and debate is all well and good but I'm afraid I'll have to draw the line at suggesting that our lord is a negro. I mean really, there are women and children here for god's sake!
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 20:16   #66
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I am suggesting that the existence of the universe means that comtemplating the idea of a creator is more valid than contemplating the existence of an invisible phallus.
But we know that a "phallus" is something that can exist. Why do we not have any actual evidence for a creator, other than an argument from ignorance?
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 20:29   #67
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
But we know that a "phallus" is something that can exist. Why do we not have any actual evidence for a creator, other than an argument from ignorance?
Eh?
So, we know that a phallus is something that exists.
Similarly, we know that the wind exists. Therefore, we know that an invisible force can exist.
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 20:40   #68
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Eh?
So, we know that a phallus is something that exists.
Bear in mind that I was ridiculing your argument, and don't really care for considering the existance of said cock.
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 20:44   #69
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
Bear in mind that I was ridiculing your argument, and don't really care for considering the existance of said cock.
Well of course. Be sure to bear in mind that I don't think your argument was up to much either.
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 21:13   #70
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Well of course. Be sure to bear in mind that I don't think your argument was up to much either.
My argument was that you were misinterpreting what Dante said, and that if I assumed you actually had enough where-with-all to realise you were doing it I'd have called it a strawman.
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 21:21   #71
Boogster
I dunno...

Here's where we agree to disagree.
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 21:30   #72
JonnyBGood
Banned

Considering you don't mind god resembling a bowl of spaghetti
Quote:
For the record, I don't particularly mind whether 'God' resembles a Giant with a Beard or a Bowl of Spaghetti.
I don't particularly see the objection to god resembling a 30 foot penis. It certainly would explain a few things about that ****ing dickhead.
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 21:31   #73
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Here's where we agree to disagree.
I disagree with that assertion.
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 21:31   #74
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Are we still talking about my penis?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 21:34   #75
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Are we still talking about my penis?
If it's a thirty foot long schlong, sure.
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 21:37   #76
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
Considering you don't mind god resembling a bowl of spaghetti...

I don't particularly see the objection to god resembling a 30 foot penis. It certainly would explain a few things about that ****ing dickhead.
I don't object to God resembling a 30ft penis, either.
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 00:23   #77
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
Now i shall have a picnic on my white picket fence.
Amen to that
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 00:33   #78
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
I don't object to God resembling a 30ft penis, either.
So maybe he did ejaculate the universe?
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 02:40   #79
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

universe, therefore god.
breakfast, therefore 30 foot penis.

neither of these statements is more logical than the other, and neither conclusion can be inferred from the "evidence". (Why did I have weetabix? Penis made me do it)

edit: oh and enby not once, not ever, have you backed up your EVOLUTION DOESN'T EXIST! MY DAD ISNT MONKEY-SHAPED! line of argument. go on, do it just the once. just because you're entitled to an opinion, doesn't mean you arent a ****ing idiot for holding it, or that in holding that view you are somehow legitimising it as anything other than outlandish crankery.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 02:54   #80
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Unhappy Re: Britain to be shot down and quarantined by the thought police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
edit: oh and enby not once, not ever, have you backed up your EVOLUTION DOESN'T EXIST! MY DAD ISNT MONKEY-SHAPED! line of argument. go on, do it just the once. just because you're entitled to an opinion, doesn't mean you arent a ****ing idiot for holding it, or that in holding that view you are somehow legitimising it as anything other than outlandish crankery.
You've just managed to demonstrate perfectly why i'll never explain it here, thanks.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 02:59   #81
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Do stop both of you.

I brought you people up to be better than this.

Phang: you're being silly
NB3: stop provoking

I do not see why, indeed to qualify, I DO NOT SEE HOW I COULD HAVE EXPECTED, that in my brief absense GD would descend into barbarism.
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 03:00   #82
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
You've just managed to demonstrate perfectly why i'll never explain it here, thanks.
well, i guess that makes you right then!
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 07:09   #83
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Get a deck of cards. Shuffle them randomly and spread them out one by one. The odds of that particular combination emerging is 52! which trust me is a really large number, 80658175200000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 to 1 give or take a few trillion. If the universe didn't exist like it does now what would you expect to be observing?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 07:18   #84
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

The reason people are so eager to accept the possibility of God creating the universe, having a hand in creating us and/or that there is some all powerful being is just because they are scared.

People don't want to think that their lives could have been just the result of random chance. That they are unexplainable. That they are essentially meaninless, apart from the process of passing on their genes.
The explaining away of their creation and their lives into science hits that part of their psyche that goes "****! If that's true, then when I die nothing happens! Nothing I do is for anything! AAaaAAaaaAA".

So they resist.

So you'll never convince someone entrenched in their beliefs that there is categoricaly no mystery/divinity/plan to this universe.

It's why this argument is destined to continue for a very long time.
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 09:13   #85
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Because we got annoyed at you when you first did the old troll and run, and still are?

That's more your fault than ours.
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 18:24   #86
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

entering rather late...

were the odds of the universe being suitable for life meaning life similar to humans, or life in any sense? i'd have thought life was a pretty broad definition when you got right down to it, and would end up turning up pretty much everywhere (no, there probably isn't life on mars - i mean this on a cosmological level).

also, vaguley related and seemingly a little skipped over: we are here. this predicates a universe that can support life - therefore, this universe being able to support life is neither statistically significant or anything other than bloody obvious. as such, i'm unsure as to how it can be useful evidence in a pro/anti god debate.

the same applies to the moon being the right size to cause 'proper' eclipses (which usually seems to come up in these things). were people to move to mars, i doubt there'd be a huge groundswell of belief in god on the grounds that the moon wasn't the right size for eclipses, and therefore god must have made it that way.
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 18:35   #87
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
were the odds of the universe being suitable for life meaning life similar to humans, or life in any sense? i'd have thought life was a pretty broad definition when you got right down to it, and would end up turning up pretty much everywhere (no, there probably isn't life on mars - i mean this on a cosmological level).
Well not really. If say the weak nuclear force was off by a bit stars would not undergo gentle nuclear reactions at their cores. The precision required is pretty staggering as well. There are similar consequences from minor differences in the values of the other forces. If the strong nuclear force is even a little stronger all the carbon gets burnt to oxygen.
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 18:39   #88
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I suggest that using the hypothetico deductive we create a research proposal to determine if we can find any evidence for a 30 foot penis. I don't know what kind of instrumentation we'd employ, but if we do well, we'll end up rich marketing the possibility of a giant cock through email spam.