User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 1 Jul 2004, 22:17   #1
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
First cars

So i'm in the market looking to buy my first car. Trouble is, i don't know what would be good to start with. Basically what i want is something that is:
  • Cheap to buy
  • Has Low Insurance
  • Has Low Tax
  • Reliable
  • Economical
  • Large enough to fit myself (being 6ft) and at least 3 mates in

so, people of the interweb, any suggestions?
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 22:19   #2
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: First cars

I've got an old VW polo.
Fits all the above catagories.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 22:23   #3
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

yeah go with an old VW (II or III), they are very very good although not the reliable (depends on year of constructino).

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 22:33   #4
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

mines never really failed me. In over 3 years It's broken down once, and even then i just waited for the engnie to cool and it worked again. (was just a rubber tube wearing through, AA gave me a new one for free). Batteries drained a few times but thats only when I don't drive it much.

Get AA cover, an MOT and a service every couple of years and everything will be fine.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 22:35   #5
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin
yeah go with an old VW (WWI or WWII), they are very very good although not the reliable (depends on year of constructino).
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 22:45   #6
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

also, i'd like to know where i can get cheap insurance from thankyouplease
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 23:19   #7
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

doubt they are cheap skiddy.

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 10:26   #8
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My VW was £6k+!

My cheapest insurance by £350 was with Endsleigh, I assume they do good things to students.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 10:41   #9
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I had a fiesta as my first car. Old model. Cheap as chips, ran on nothing as it was a 1.1litre, never had much trouble with it even though it was 10 years old. Fit myself in it fine (6ft 3") fit my 3 m8s in it with a little squeeze in the back.
Problem was the insurance as I was a guy,under 25 which ment that insurance companies decided they should bend me over and ream me till I bled.
2 years driving now and my insurance has come down alot, still not real cheap but ok.
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 11:09   #10
Ste
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
My VW was £6k+!

My cheapest insurance by £350 was with Endsleigh, I assume they do good things to students.
My polo was free
That's why you go for the old ones! May not look as smooth or have loads of gadgets but they are just as reliable and so so much cheaper.
I also went through Endsleigh, they do discounts for students.
Try loads of ones online, depending how old you are different ones are better. Tesco and theAA are meant to be good.
Norwich union, although i hate their stupid adverts, are who endsleigh brokered my insurance with.

Unread 2 Jul 2004, 11:51   #11
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

Vauxhall Nova!

[/ned]
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 12:37   #12
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Y'know you can go to main dealers and garages and pick up a decent car, road worthy etc, for pretty much nothing. They accept cars in as trade-ins, however if the car is under a certain value then they cant really sell it, but it costs them a few hundred to scrap it. So they sell them for almost nothing. You can get em for £1.

Watching Top Gear really pays off. All they need to do is put some boobs (apart from clarkson and the little fella) on and its the best show on TV.
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 13:00   #13
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I got a suzuki swift... Good if you don't plan to haul anything big.
We did try to fit in it with four people including sleeping bags. It worked, but one of them nearly kicked the rear-view-mirror off.
And you really shouldn't be much bigger than 6ft.
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 14:17   #14
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future

My 1st car was an MGF convertible ... meets absolutely 0 of your requirements.

However.. on the insurance front, if you have a girl friend or some female your age that will pretend to be, stick her on your insurance too as a named driver (this only works if your male btw). Statistically couples are less likely to have an accident so you save loads. My 1st premium went from 1.9k to 1.4k with my GF added. Just make sure you dont claim they are your 'partner' as that means legal ties.
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 18:07   #15
Ste
Bored

my mum is a named driver on my insurance. It cuts the cost down a lot. She's also a member of the NUT so I get discounts because of that.

Unread 2 Jul 2004, 18:14   #16
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
my mum is a named driver on my insurance. It cuts the cost down a lot.
Also to add, my mate graduated last week and got a job in the local council, so quickly rang up the insurance company expectin it to go down - it went up £30!
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 18:18   #17
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Whats your budget?
As everyone is probably sick of me saying by now, my first car (as of a month and a half ago) was a Fiat Punto until someone wrote it off for me, the gits. My second car (as of a week and a half ago) is also a Fiat Punto.
They are a decent car, you can get them for under £1000 (current one was £695 due to a few scratches where it's not been looked after to well, but I'm not too fussed about that in a cheap car) so long as you don't mind highish mileage.
Info on my current £695 one (all of this is standard, not added extras):
Fiat Punto 55SX
1.1 Litre engine with good tourque if that sort of thing bothers you
Produced in 1997 (so 7 years old)
66,000 miles on the clock (Punto's are usually good up to 110,000 and above)
Immobiliser
Electric windows
Central locking
Decent interior (ie. not shitty head restraints etc)
Independant front and rear foglights
>> LOW INSURANCE CLASS <<

If you look around in the private ads (trade tends to rip you off on cheaper cars) its not too hard to find a good deal.
Just don't get it written off, either by your fault or someone elses. Beleive me the paperwork is hell.
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 19:00   #18
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Most i'd pay is about £750. Think im going to have to cross this bridge soon. Just been told im only needed 2 days a week at maplin, going to do an intensive driving course and get delivery work hopefully

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 22:38   #19
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Direct Line are good and cheap especially once you've turned 21.
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 22:49   #20
Inferno
The Arson Specialist

Inferno is a jewel in the roughInferno is a jewel in the roughInferno is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraKto$is8
Vauxhall Nova!
Please dont laugh at me. I'm not trying to be funny.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 23:00   #21
JBOY
Retired

JBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to all

If you do yer pass plus,

Norwich union are the daddies of low insurance with that.

Punto's are a not bad buy, as long as you only plan on driving it less than 10k a year, and you only plan on keeping it two years max.

Anything below a 1.3 will get you decent insurance and not cost a lot.
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 23:08   #22
Ste
Bored

cheaper tax on a <1.3 as well