User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 Jul 2004, 11:08   #1
Eidron
The Harsh Light of Day

Eidron is an unknown quantity at this point
BBC BASIC Decompiler

I need one of these. Any help? Lol. Basically I have BBC programs and I need to try and decompile them. I havent found one for basic yet...

You'll never see me but I am everywhere
Eidron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2004, 11:34   #2
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
Re: BBC BASIC Decompiler

Errr... I don't think Basic is compiled.

If so that's probably why there are no decompilers for it.
Unread 21 Jul 2004, 15:34   #3
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: BBC BASIC Decompiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayonara
Errr... I don't think Basic is compiled.
If so that's probably why there are no decompilers for it.
Yes it is. At least Visual Basic is. You still have a (non-default) option to create P-Code-Exes (pseudo-code), but who the hell would want to use that (for obvious reasons, like speed)?

And when speaking about "decompilers": There is no such thing, that could really "help" you getting back the code. Variable-Names, Procedure-, Function-, Object-Names, all gone. Comments too ofc. And things (e.g. loops) might not even look like they were programmed (many different ways can lead to one version of machine code).

It's always nice play around with decompilers, but I don't know anybody (including myself) who wasn't really disappointed after trying...

Mind you, I'm not talking about disassemblers and debuggers here, and their incredible usefulness when it comes to debugging & hacking.
Also a decompiler sure might help if you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

P.S.: What is BBC Basic? It might really be an interpreter only...
Unread 21 Jul 2004, 15:39   #4
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
Yes it is. At least Visual Basic is.
He's talking about BBC Basic.

10 REM my new program
20 Print "Hello World"
30 GOTO 10

...And so on.
Unread 21 Jul 2004, 15:46   #5
JetLinus

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of

If somebody isn't able to figure out that whether he has plaintext sourcecode files or binary executables, the complexity of a decompiler* will kill him (by causing his head to explode)...

* Don't be afraid of notepad
Unread 21 Jul 2004, 20:25   #6
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Good BBC BASIC compilers existed but I didn't see them used much. Source is so much nicer.

BBC BASIC source did however use a tokenised format rather than (or as well as) plaintext.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2004, 17:29   #7
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
And when speaking about "decompilers": There is no such thing, that could really "help" you getting back the code. Variable-Names, Procedure-, Function-, Object-Names, all gone. Comments too ofc. And things (e.g. loops) might not even look like they were programmed (many different ways can lead to one version of machine code).

It's always nice play around with decompilers, but I don't know anybody (including myself) who wasn't really disappointed after trying...
Just because you dont have the variable names, doesn't mean the code is gibberish? Any decent commercial decompiler can detect things like loops and beautify them for you as well.
Unread 23 Jul 2004, 09:55   #8
JetLinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging.Retard
Just because you dont have the variable names, doesn't mean the code is gibberish?
Well, uhm, YES?

Take
Code:
ShipPosX = ShipPosX + (ShipVelocityX * (LastFrameTime / 1000))

What would you think about
Code:
VarA1 = VarA1 + (VarA7 * (VarB5 / 1000))

IMO almost ALL the understandability of good sourcecode comes from cleverly choosen variable and function names.

And about the loop stuff: There are different ways to "code" the same algorithm, how can you be sure the decompiler spits out exactly the nesting etc as in the source?
Ok, let's say it does: Still, without an idea what the loop indexes are, what exit conditions and why, and what arrays and offsets are looped throug, you're pretty fcked*.

* I know I know, disassembling and hardcore-debugging (as well as hacking, whatever) is all about exactly this. But in a real world, it's pretty much too hard and pointless, right?