User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Oct 2003, 21:53   #1
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
PHP forms and mysql database?

What's the easiest way to input data into a database via a form?

There's loads of 'form processors' but isn't there an easy way to do this?
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 22:37   #2
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: PHP forms and mysql database?

if(isset($submit)){
mysql_query("INSERT INTO table(bla, blabla) values ($bla,$blabla)");
}

im not eactly sure what you mean though
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 12:05   #3
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

if (isset($_POST['subit'])) { [mysql stuff] }

like wu_trax said, just target your form to the page that holds this (even can be the same page)
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 12:12   #4
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
if(isset($submit)){
mysql_query("INSERT INTO table(bla, blabla) values ($bla,$blabla)");
}

im not eactly sure what you mean though
ta, i think that does what i want, i assume i need to connect to the db first before doing what you typed above..

/* Connecting, selecting database */
$link = mysql_connect("localhost", "user", "pass")
or die("Could not connect : " . mysql_error());
mysql_select_db("mydb_co_uk_-_1") or die("Could not select database");

is right isn't it?
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 13:05   #5
Ragnarak

ok all sorted so far, this should be my last question for a while

using

"UPDATE blah SET one = '$one' ";

works to change the value in field one to the new value of $one, but i want to ADD the value on, not replace. I thought the following would work but it didn't..

"UPDATE table SET one = one + '$one' ";

<edit> SET one = one + $one worked </edit>

Last edited by Ragnarak; 18 Oct 2003 at 13:11.
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 00:08   #6
Ragnarak

another problem

i can't get my sql syntax right

$sql = "INSERT INTO table1 (fixture,score,submit) VALUES ('$game','$score','$submit'), INSERT INTO table2(fixture,score,submit) VALUES ('$game','$score','$submit') INSERT INTO table3 (fixture,score,submit) VALUES ('$game','$score','$submit')";

doesn't work

also tried

$sql = "INSERT INTO keller (fixture,kellerscore,submit) VALUES ('$game','$kellerscore','$submit')";
$sql= ."INSERT INTO burch (fixture,burchscore,submit) VALUES ('$game','$burchscore','$submit')";
$sql= ."INSERT INTO hirschfield (fixture,hirschfieldscore,submit) VALUES ('$game','$hirschfieldscore','$submit')";

the following should explain what $sql is

#execute SQL statement
$result = mysql_query($sql, $cid);
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 00:16   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Try delimiting multiple queries with a semicolon, not a comma.
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 00:20   #8
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
Try delimiting multiple queries with a semicolon, not a comma.

didn't work
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 00:30   #9
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

=((

We need RR =(
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 00:38   #10
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());

Will tell you all you need.

[edit]
What the hell are you trying to do? You cannot run multiple queries in one query to the server.

To run multiple queries, you need multiple instances of mysql_query:

Code:
$query = "DELETE FROM table1";

$query = "INSERT INTO table1 (id) VALUES('1')";
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 00:52   #11
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

The PHP docs seem to claim that it can be done. But I don't see any reason why you'd want to tbh.
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 02:15   #12
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I don't see a reason why
PHP Code:
$query"insert blah...;";
$query $query."insert newblah...;";
etc
wouldn't work tbh (totally untested, but in other SQL environments you can "queue up" the statements before executing them...).....but very rarely will you be entering more than one record from a page, or if you are it will be done in a loop.
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 14:58   #13
Ragnarak

what i have is a form with a number of fields and i want the value of each field to be entered into a different table

using multiple instances of mysql_query will work i think but i'd read i could do it all on one query
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 15:29   #14
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

What you had though, replaced the value of $sql with each new line, so only the last line would be sent.
If it works, i still didn't try, you would at least need to send all the queries, separated by ;, to the DB

[edit]
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mai...php-db/1795279 says it can't be done. Apparently via command-line it can, but not via web
[/edit]
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 18:37   #15
Ragnarak

ok that's all working now, thanks

next thing, the form variable can take a value of 0 and when it does i don't want any data to be inserted into the database

i know i need an IF statement somewhre but not sure where or what form it should take :/
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 19:12   #16
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
What the hell are you trying to do? You cannot run multiple queries in one query to the server.

Almost correct, certain DB servers still allow you to do this. Versions of MySQL definately allow it (though im unaware which). However, a considerable number of database drivers/providers (ie the process that connects your shiney webpage to the database) no longer allow you to do this. They have 'wizened up' to the fact a lot of people were too crap to parse their own input. This simple step negates a fair amount of sql injection ala " '; DROP table -- " input.
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 19:42   #17
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarak
ok that's all working now, thanks

next thing, the form variable can take a value of 0 and when it does i don't want any data to be inserted into the database

i know i need an IF statement somewhre but not sure where or what form it should take :/
no insert statement at all or no insert int one field?
i would simply do
if( isset($data) && ($data != 0)){
mysql_query("insert into table(a,b,c) values ($a, $b, $data)");
} else{
mysql_query("insert into table(a,b) values ($a,$b)");
}

or without the else-part if you want no insert at all.
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 21:31   #18
Ragnarak

thanks guys
Unread 20 Oct 2003, 20:44   #19
Ragnarak

come across the next thing

i have a 'score' field with lots of values in, i now want to get an 'average score' value for these values.

i have an auto-incrementing 'id' field so what i need to do is total score/id but i'm not sure how to sum all of the values in the field together

am sure it's a simple loop or something but i don't know what.
Unread 20 Oct 2003, 20:52   #20
wu_trax

select avg(scorefield) as avg from tablename

sql does everything for you
there is also max() and min() if you need those values aswell.
Unread 20 Oct 2003, 20:55   #21
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
select avg(scorefield) as avg from tablename

sql does everything for you
there is also max() and min() if you need those values aswell.
wow

cool

cheers

<edit> Erm how do i get that to display the value?</edit>

Last edited by Ragnarak; 20 Oct 2003 at 21:02.
Unread 20 Oct 2003, 22:11   #22
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

PHP Code:
$query='SELECT AVG(score) "avg" from <table>';
$result mysql_query($query);
$row=mysql_fetch_array($result);
$average=$row['avg'];
echo 
$average
...or similar...
Unread 20 Oct 2003, 22:17   #23
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
PHP Code:
$query='SELECT AVG(score) "avg" from <table>';
$result mysql_query($query);
$row=mysql_fetch_array($result);
$average=$row['avg'];
echo 
$average
...or similar...
i'd missed our $row part