User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 16 Nov 2006, 07:29   #1
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society
Planetarion portal

I'd like to see abit more activity on the Planetarion portal.

There are rarely anything new on it, and if this is kind of going to be the first meeting with Planetarion it should atleast be some stuff that is written on an regular interval. I dont have time to participate in it, but I hope that the ones working on the portal can take this to themselves and work out a bit more regular update and what is going on pr now.
Unread 16 Nov 2006, 08:02   #2
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Planetarion portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
I'd like to see abit more activity on the Planetarion portal.

There are rarely anything new on it, and if this is kind of going to be the first meeting with Planetarion it should atleast be some stuff that is written on an regular interval. I dont have time to participate in it, but I hope that the ones working on the portal can take this to themselves and work out a bit more regular update and what is going on pr now.

Ooh... someone's reading? eexcellent. I'll try and get something vaguely funny up sometime this week then.

I also got some strange request for a "10 best ways to properly flog someone with a cucumber" with video footage =/ so maybe that'll be up sometime in the next couple of months or something.

Hrm =o decisions decisions.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2006, 10:48   #3
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Well, I would prefer it to be something about PA..
Unread 16 Nov 2006, 11:40   #4
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

Shock Horror, i think this is the second time i am going to agree with Kargool

The portal is my responsibility and in recent weeks i have unfortunatly had to remove a couple of people from the team due to lack of submissions. The problem that is being faced is that until people from the community come foward and show an interest in writing content for it there isnt going to be new content. Over the course of this weekend i am planning to make some kind of announcement looking for new columnists, however i have done this in the past and very little interest was shown.

As i say, unless people from the community come forward and are willing to submit regular, quality content we arent going to see lots on there because i cant write it all myself.

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2006, 15:21   #5
Hutchi
BlueTuba 4Eva

Hutchi is an unknown quantity at this point

part the problem is that people dont want to commit to something when it doesn't seem to do much already.

Some also believe that they'll end up doing more and more of it as others can't be bothered/dont have time.
rnd 21->26 - Orbit HC
rnd 27 - LAZY git
rnd 28 -> Current Orbit HC

The quiet people change the world!
The loud people claim they did!
Hutchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2006, 15:26   #6
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
Well, I would prefer it to be something about PA..
(yes, I kinda figured that I was half kidding honestly.) I'll see if I can write something this weekend.
Unread 16 Nov 2006, 20:13   #7
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

I'd like to see...

- Something more readable than white text on a grey background.
- Something more appealing than black text on a grey background.
- RSS feed, please!
- Upgrade the forums to vBulletin 3.6 so the announcements forum can syndicate announcements with the RSS feed.
- Fix the front page so it shows a bit more than just announcements. It appears that PA team have already lost interest in their blogs.
- Possibly allow comments on certain things, such as blogs, increased interaction might make people more interested in the portal. Alternatively allow replies to be made to the forum RSS postings.
- Remove the sections which don't have any postings yet. Fiction, strategy, guest columns, archive, etc. have no content.

As well as a few other things, but I'd say those are the things which need doing.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2006, 22:15   #8
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Anyone still use www.planetarion.com? I think last time I used it was back in.... ice age?
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 12:52   #9
Hutchi
BlueTuba 4Eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
Anyone still use planetarion.com? I think last time I used it was back in.... ice age?
i used it afew weeks since -but then i'd just come back to all this.

couldn't find what i wanted so turned to forums like the old days

even taking some of the basic strategy threads from forum and redoing them on portal would be a start really
rnd 21->26 - Orbit HC
rnd 27 - LAZY git

Unread 17 Nov 2006, 13:03   #10
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
Anyone still use www.planetarion.com? I think last time I used it was back in.... ice age?
I still check it about once a week to see if there is some new and interesting stuff to read about the game, but usually there isn't . In either case i don't like the way it looks and the way it is setup, far to much work to find anything that might be worth reading.
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 14:30   #11
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper
I'd like to see...

- RSS feed, please!
- Upgrade the forums to vBulletin 3.6 so the announcements forum can syndicate announcements with the RSS feed.
- Fix the front page so it shows a bit more than just announcements. It appears that PA team have already lost interest in their blogs.
- Possibly allow comments on certain things, such as blogs, increased interaction might make people more interested in the portal. Alternatively allow replies to be made to the forum RSS postings.
- Remove the sections which don't have any postings yet. Fiction, strategy, guest columns, archive, etc. have no content.

As well as a few other things, but I'd say those are the things which need doing.
Good suggestions.

I suggested that they used wordpress or a blog for the portal, as effectively it is just text content. Different tags could separate strategy, fiction etc.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 23:41   #12
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

Pretty much all of the things in the list above are on my "want list" for round 20... however development of the game comes before development of the portal (of course). As i said above, until people come forward to offer content then its going to be difficult for more content to be on there.

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Unread 19 Nov 2006, 13:54   #13
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Changing the front-page to show 'latest updates' would be good, since people've written (some) stuff but there's no real way of telling.

That does of course rely on people writing stuff as you say =/
Unread 20 Nov 2006, 01:27   #14
Cedlind
[SiN] HC

Cedlind is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper
I'd like to see...
The main reasons I stay the h... away from the portal. It's painfull to see such badly used colours!
<@Clogg|zZzZz> you get that with most nicks tbh
SiN->SiNND *shivers*->SiN->TGV->really long break->Asc
Cedlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2006, 15:50   #15
Illuvatar
Mastermind

Illuvatar is a jewel in the roughIlluvatar is a jewel in the roughIlluvatar is a jewel in the roughIlluvatar is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedlind
The main reasons I stay the h... away from the portal. It's painfull to see such badly used colours!
gotta agree with that, could have been done much better hope
it improves till R20.

Community Leader
Illuvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2006, 19:07   #16
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Didn't there used to be more interviews, at least under the Alliance section. Also, isn't it a tad bias to only interview one or two alliances for that section and not track down say at least 10-20 others if not someone from at least every top 30 alliance. Especially since Alliance info seems to be the lead on your poll about what people would like to see more info on.
Unread 20 Nov 2006, 19:13   #17
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
Didn't there used to be more interviews, at least under the Alliance section. Also, isn't it a tad bias to only interview one or two alliances for that section and not track down say at least 10-20 others if not someone from at least every top 30 alliance. Especially since Alliance info seems to be the lead on your poll about what people would like to see more info on.
There were once... yep. I don't think some if not most of the older content way back when was transferred over. No reason why more shouldn't start appearing.

That, and +1 squid agreeing with the comment about someone from each of the top 30.
Unread 21 Nov 2006, 13:47   #18
Chef!
Domestic Diva

I would truely love to have an interview on the portal with every top 30 alliance however i dont have the time to carry out all of these interviews myself, as i keep saying, when people from the community come forward to do stuff (even if not regularly - if someone emails me a article/interview of decent quality i will post it up as a guest column) then the content simply wont be there.

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Unread 21 Nov 2006, 13:51   #19
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef!
I would truely love to have an interview on the portal with every top 30 alliance however i dont have the time to carry out all of these interviews myself, as i keep saying, when people from the community come forward to do stuff (even if not regularly - if someone emails me a article/interview of decent quality i will post it up as a guest column) then the content simply wont be there.
Just do 1 interview and replush it 30 times and just change the names your will pretty much have the same result as interviewing all the top30
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew

Last edited by wakey; 21 Nov 2006 at 14:49.
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2006, 14:38   #20
Hutchi
BlueTuba 4Eva

well you'd sure have all the grumbles about things that way
rnd 21->26 - Orbit HC
rnd 27 - LAZY git

Unread 21 Nov 2006, 18:57   #21
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef!
Pretty much all of the things in the list above are on my "want list" for round 20... however development of the game comes before development of the portal (of course). As i said above, until people come forward to offer content then its going to be difficult for more content to be on there.
Out of interest Chef what are you able to do with the portal? Can you change layout, add pictures, etc??
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2006, 20:20   #22
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTester
Out of interest Chef what are you able to do with the portal? Can you change layout, add pictures, etc??
At this present moment no, however im really pushing to get new bits coded for it so it can be skinnable for instance and other things.

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Unread 25 Nov 2006, 16:46   #23
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Just do 1 interview and replush it 30 times and just change the names your will pretty much have the same result as interviewing all the top30
He could also create 1 set of questions (he could even do a thread to get a list of questions the community would like the alliances to answer) of about 20-30 questions, and then do one of those mass mailings to the top 30 alliances in game, and wait for the HCs to respond.

Surely this wouldn't take up too much of his time, and by having a thread for the questions it would also reduce the amount of work he actually has to do for the project.
Unread 25 Nov 2006, 17:42   #24
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

"You won't get the prize for top [planet/galaxy/alliance] unless you complete the following questionnaire."
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2006, 18:12   #25
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
He could also create 1 set of questions (he could even do a thread to get a list of questions the community would like the alliances to answer) of about 20-30 questions, and then do one of those mass mailings to the top 30 alliances in game, and wait for the HCs to respond.

Surely this wouldn't take up too much of his time, and by having a thread for the questions it would also reduce the amount of work he actually has to do for the project.
It doesnt solve the problem. Just look at any interview from alliance leaders, both on portals of past or EoR ceromonies and they are pretty much identical. Its like everyone hired a professional to do their PR so that they don't rock the boat. They never say what they really mean, they just go around patting people on the back and its just bland
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2006, 06:34   #26
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
It doesn't solve the problem. Just look at any interview from alliance leaders, both on portals of past or EoR ceromonies and they are pretty much identical. Its like everyone hired a professional to do their PR so that they don't rock the boat. They never say what they really mean, they just go around patting people on the back and its just bland
Which is why I suggested a thread for players to come up with the questions, as opposed to the standard ones that we know are going to get the same boring answer as always. If the questionnaire gets the same answers on the same questions from more than one alliance, then send it back and tell them to grow a pair and answer it truthfully instead of what they think we want to hear, or what will make them sound/look better.