User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 20 Jul 2005, 15:00   #1
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Jury Service

So today I received a letter in the post from the Jury Service, requesting that I become a member on the Jury. Im quite excited about this prospect as I get paid for my travel, food and loss of earnings (or so I think) So what I wanted to ask was has anyone had any experience with being a juror and does anyone know of the "perks" of the job so to speak.

As well as that is it worth doing? Seeing as I start University almost a week after im summoned im not sure if I can do it, however skipping a week of uni for justice could be worth it.
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 15:04   #2
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jury Service

I`ve heard it`s financially rewarding. http://www.cjsonline.gov.uk/juror/

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 15:05   #3
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

I've done it three times now and dont mind doing it. The court proceedings can be quite interesting, or it can be pretty boring depending on how you look at these things. You have to sit around a lot and listen carefully when in court, then you must sit in a room with 11 other strangers and discuss justice. It can all be quite daunting.

As for the perks, there arent any as such except you get meal vouchers or something and you might get some half days, although in my case I got paid by the courts because my company said they wouldnt pay me and they they did anyway!

Just go and enjoy it, it will teach you a shit load more about real life than two weeks of uni would.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 15:07   #4
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

apparently it is very interesting. I'd love to get called up.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 15:08   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTester
I've done it three times now and dont mind doing it.
Do you mean three different cases or you were picked randomly three times? Isn't the latter rather statistically unlikely?

I've never done it (not on the electoral roll) but I'd quite like to.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 15:13   #6
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Do you mean three different cases or you were picked randomly three times? Isn't the latter rather statistically unlikely?
fairly I suppose, but that site does say 450,000 per year get picked, so there will probably be quite a few people that have been picked several times. my brother has been picked twice for example.

Unread 20 Jul 2005, 15:24   #7
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks

I've never done it (not on the electoral roll) but I'd quite like to.

I have been picked for jury service 3 seperate times and attended for the full two weeks each time.

I think after selection your name gets removed from the selection pool for two years before it goes back in again, so statistically if this is correct then any 24 year old can have attended as many times as me and Im older than 24!

The cases I've had are;
- aggrevated assault on police
- burglary
- consipracy to rob
- false imprisonment
- sexual assault
- car theft
- drug dealing
- a few others I cant remember)

If you really want to do it get on the electoral roll and be a good boy - scallies wont get picked! Maybe thats why I've done so many stints, Im pretty law abiding.
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 15:28   #8
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

pig, if I remember right you're doing a Law degree. Go do it, it'll be invaluable experience from 'the other side' of the courtroom.

Last edited by furball; 20 Jul 2005 at 16:38. Reason: See post below :)
furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 15:55   #9
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
pig, if I remember right you're doing a Law degree. Go do it, it'll be invaluable experience from 'the other side' of the system.
I thought you saw the other side by smashing windows and mugging old ladies?

Unread 20 Jul 2005, 16:46   #10
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Fixed!
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 16:48   #11
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What happens if someone is earning £1000 a day.....
do they reimburse that as well???
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 16:56   #12
QazokRouge5
Back from timeout.

QazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the rough

Jimmy Jammy Jummy Jummy Jammy Jimmy, everyone knows that the only people who make 1000$/day are forum admins. The government wouldn't dare summon them.
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahwe
Gay ducks only do it because it impresses their peers.
QazokRouge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 16:57   #13
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a call-up some time last authumn.

In Norway there is three levels
Tingrett -the first one, based in almost every town of some size.
Lagmansrett -second, regional
Høyesterett -Supreme Court, can only be appieled for special reasons

My call up was for Lagmansrett, a case that was stipulated to take 8 days. However, this was in my semester. Not that it mattered that much, so I wrote in saying I had really moved and gave up my new adress.
Then I got a letter saying I was exused. And I was like "oh well, idiots can't read heh".
It's not well paid in Norway, you usually get 250 NOK per day. Thats a bit more than 20£. Pluss hotel&food, depending on where you live relative to where the trial is.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 17:12   #14
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Jury Service

'12 Angry Men'
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 17:20   #15
CrashTester
I am an idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
What happens if someone is earning £1000 a day.....
do they reimburse that as well???

Nope, there is a cap I believe. Someone earning 1000 a day would almost certainly lose out. =
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 19:04   #16
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

it's sweet that you are treating this as a situation in which you have a choice.
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 19:49   #17
Ice-Lady
Pandoras Box of filth

Ice-Lady has a spectacular aura aboutIce-Lady has a spectacular aura aboutIce-Lady has a spectacular aura about

I loved doing Jury service. Our case was very interesting but only lasted a week. Wish it had been longer.
We used to nip over the pub at lunch breaks instead of using the courts canteen, which was a nice way to socialise.
We even had a "field" trip to see all the stored evidence at some police lockups.
I was doing my Jury service when 9/11 happened, watched the 2nd plane hit the tower as we were leaving, after being ajourned for the day.

I think most people find it interesting, but I guess it does depend on which case you land up with. Thankfully mine wasn't too gruesome or violent, unlike the poor souls who went in while we were deliberating.
Ice-Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 22:17   #18
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In California you get $15 a day and 10 cents a mile one way. Oh and free parking.
You feed yourself.
However, if your employer does not pay for your jury duty (many do)or there are other reasons why you would have a hardship if you served, you can be excused.
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 22:28   #19
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Jury Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
In California you get $15 a day and 10 cents a mile one way.
Pikers!

In Minnesota we get $20 a day and 27 cents a mile both ways! \o/
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 22:30   #20
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
In Minnesota we get $20 a day and 27 cents a mile both ways! \o/
Liberal spendthrifts.
Probably all of those Minnesota Swedes.
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 22:48   #21
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I was called for Jury service a few years ago.

Some guy beat up a taxi driver.

It was quite dull and more than a couple of us had trouble trying to stay awake.

The perp got 6 months and justice was done.

About a year later I went to a mates wedding and said perp ended up being a cousin or something.
He spend all night giving me that 'I'm sure I know him' look.

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 23:17   #22
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Flatmate got called up for jury duty yesterday, High court case estimated to take eight weeks.

The problem is, he likes to talk, a lot - for long periods without stopping. I gather this is not legal and yet it will inevitably occur. Now I'm a law student, if he talks to me about anything in the case he might just take anything I respond with as some sort of authority on the matter. It would be absurd to do so, but nonetheless it is illegal and you never know how these things can come back to bite you in the ass later in life.

I gather its a murder case dealing with the tricky area of provocation and self defence. Should I avoid discussing this topic for the duration of the trial, or provide helpful and educational legal 'advice' for the poor fellow?
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 23:23   #23
Entium

Entium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud of

Don't forget to vote "not-guilty" if this implies a week of free accommodation in a highly priced hotel.

Don't forget to take along it's furniture afterwards, either.
Entium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 23:28   #24
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
I gather its a murder case dealing with the tricky area of provocation and self defence. Should I avoid discussing this topic for the duration of the trial, or provide helpful and educational legal 'advice' for the poor fellow?
Tell him to listen to the judge, who will explain the law and issue directions regarding it. Try not to express an opinion if you can.
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 23:35   #25
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling

that depends on whether you want to go to prison or not
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 23:50   #26
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
that depends on whether you want to go to prison or not
This seemed to be the gist of the Jury Act.

Though 'Maximum fine $10,000', a criminal record and a potential career ruined before it even gets off the ground seemed to be the worst that would happen.

It could be a semi legitimate reason for him to avoid getting selected for the jury.
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 23:54   #27
Yahwe
I am.

it's not a legitimate reason.

and you'd go to prison for contempt of court.
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 23:55   #28
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Liberal spendthrifts.
Probably all of those Minnesota Swedes.
Speaking of Swedes. In Sweden you will not be called, it is voluntarily.
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Ärketrollmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 02:07   #29
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Quote:
it's not a legitimate reason.

and you'd go to prison for contempt of court.
I've informed him that short of acting like a raving lunatic (and being able to proove it) its highly likely he will be called.

I don't intend to discuss it.
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 02:25   #30
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
The trick is to say that your prejudiced against all races
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 05:49   #31
dda
USS Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ärketrollmannen
Speaking of Swedes. In Sweden you will not be called, it is voluntarily.
If they tried that in the US they'd probably have to let all of the criminals go as they wouldn't be able to find 12 qualified jurors.
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 05:53   #32
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
If they tried that in the US they'd probably have to let all of the criminals go as they wouldn't be able to find 12 qualified jurors.
You mean we'd free the people living like animals in cages? Is that supposed to be a bad thing?
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 06:01   #33
dda
USS Oklahoma

Sorry, too feeble minded to get the point.
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 11:21   #34
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
It's actually considered something of an honour.

I'm gonna give it a shot next year, it is a good part of my education (going to be a teacher, social science/history).

I guess Swedish "jury"members get more pay etc.
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 11:29   #35
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I've always wanted to do jury duty. Not something faggy like robbery but for a proper crime, like murder.

I'd be like Homer. "How many S's in innocent?"
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 11:30   #36
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

In all the courtcases I've been to, the jurors have been old people. OLD people. It's really funny, beacuse they look scared.
I don't think I've ever heard of a case in Norway that has been decided by the jurors (exept jury cases, of course. Most cases in Norway are handeled by a judge and two jurors or "meddommer" as they're called. Very few cases gets a full jury)
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 12:49   #37
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My co worker was just chosed for jury duty, but they dismissed her for having a speeding ticket. Also, a question they asked on a questionaire was if she had any bumper stickers on ther car. Isn't that silly.
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 12:52   #38
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

You are kidding?
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 14:08   #39
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think the whole idea of jury service is completely stupid.

Anyone can do it and be called up. That's the entire idea. I expect most of you know the average British public. You've spoken to the blue-collar workers of our great country. Some of things I've heard them say are utterly unfathomable. It's crazy, how stupid some people are.

And these are the people who get to decide men and women's fate, once put inside the courtroom.

Let's take a tax evasion case, for example. A clever businessman manages to do a little creative accounting and keep some funds aside for himself. He obviously knew what he was doing.
We have the prosecutors, some snazzy law students from Cambridge or similar. We have the judge and magistrates, upstanding members of the community who are well-versed in tax law.

But who gets to decide the verdict of this clever businessman? A bunch of goons who work at McDonalds and Woolworths, and have no idea how to even spell "evasion".
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 14:11   #40
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

That is really the problem isn't it?

Is it true that the judge can change the outcome if he chooses to?

PS. I saw that in the movie 'Erin Brockovich' wich is based on a real event, but still, I would like it confirmed before I take it as a fact

If it is true, then what meaning does the jury have?
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 14:36   #41
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Also, a question they asked on a questionaire was if she had any bumper stickers on ther car. Isn't that silly.
well no, see if someone has a "The Lord made the word in 6 days" bumper sticker, the get struck off for being retarded.

Unread 21 Jul 2005, 15:11   #42
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I think the whole idea of jury service is completely stupid.

Anyone can do it and be called up. That's the entire idea. I expect most of you know the average British public. You've spoken to the blue-collar workers of our great country. Some of things I've heard them say are utterly unfathomable. It's crazy, how stupid some people are.

And these are the people who get to decide men and women's fate, once put inside the courtroom.

Let's take a tax evasion case, for example. A clever businessman manages to do a little creative accounting and keep some funds aside for himself. He obviously knew what he was doing.
We have the prosecutors, some snazzy law students from Cambridge or similar. We have the judge and magistrates, upstanding members of the community who are well-versed in tax law.

But who gets to decide the verdict of this clever businessman? A bunch of goons who work at McDonalds and Woolworths, and have no idea how to even spell "evasion".
stop reading the daily mail.

(oh and you 'knowledge' of the legal system is comedy gold)
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 15:50   #43
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Funny enough I almost started a simular thread a week ago. I too have been summonsed to jury duty in about another 7 days. Though I can see no real benifits from attending, Australian law is somewhat different on the matter. Still it's either do it now or get picked again next time round.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 18:12   #44
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
stop reading the daily mail.

(oh and you 'knowledge' of the legal system is comedy gold)
Great reply Yahwe.

I never claimed to be a legal expert. My opinion of jury duty is low though.

Personal attack personal attack upmanship upmanship.

You're such a sad little man
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 18:26   #45
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:

i admit i know absolutely nothing about what i'm talking but i'm still going to get upset if anyone points this out

Unread 21 Jul 2005, 18:43   #46
dda
USS Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ärketrollmannen
That is really the problem isn't it?

Is it true that the judge can change the outcome if he chooses to?

PS. I saw that in the movie 'Erin Brockovich' wich is based on a real event, but still, I would like it confirmed before I take it as a fact

If it is true, then what meaning does the jury have?
In the United States, in civil actions, the judge has great lattitude.

He can grant a new trial.
He can set aside the verdict as not comporting with the applicable law.
He can add to a monetary award or reduce a monetary award if it seems flagrantly incorrect.

The court's descretion is supposed to be based on whether he feels the facts and the law are adequate to uphold the jury verdict.

In criminal trials judges can not affect the verdict the same way. They can only change things if there was a legal problem with the the verdict.
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 18:51   #47
dda
USS Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
My co worker was just chosed for jury duty, but they dismissed her for having a speeding ticket. Also, a question they asked on a questionaire was if she had any bumper stickers on ther car. Isn't that silly.
What bumper stickers do you have on your car?
What is the last book you read?
What magazines do you subscribe to?
What television shows do you like the best?
What is the last movie you went to see?

In California, these are questions that defense lawyers not uncommonly attempt to ask. I have been successful in persuading judges that they are much more intrusive than they are informative.

At some seminars for defense attorneys, they teach them to try and ask such questions and then they have interpretations for what they mean.

ACLU bumper sticker---good
NRA bumper sticker---bad
Bush sticker---bad
Kerry sticker---good
Save the Whales---good

It is felt by many attornies on both sides that conservative jurors are good for the prosecution and liberal jurors are good for the defense.

I myself am toying with the idea of asking prospective jurors, "Have you ever heard of GD?"
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 21:54   #48
Tomkat

Yahwe, instead of dodging around statements and throwing childish little insults at people, why don't you try and take 10 seconds to create a decent reply? I know it's a lot of effort for you, but please try.

Why on earth is having a bunch of schmucks with no legal knowledge on "jury service" better than having a judge and two magistrates decide somebody's fate?
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 22:37   #49
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Because in the end; if the lawyers are worth their salt, and if somthing has gone wrong at trial, there will be an appeal and possibly a subsequent retrial. Though of course this cannot happen if a jury exhonorates a 'guilty' person, these descisions cannot be appealed.

The reality is that this rarely occurs; criminals are fairly dim and the law is not terribly complex in clear cut cases.

Theoretically Juries are thought to be more sympathetic to the defendant, and the requirement for a unanimous verdict and guilt beyond reasonable doubt tend to reinforce this assumption. This point is of course debatable, and personally I think it is idealistic but there you have it.

The jury also serves as a check against the power of the state. Were it left to judges to decide the fate of criminals, they will inevitably let their own personal prejudices interfere with the legislative process; again it would be idealistic in the extreme to suggest that Judges would always act in an impartial and unbiased fashion in accordance with the letter of the law. The alternatives are not perfect.
Unread 21 Jul 2005, 22:45   #50
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Yahwe, instead of dodging around statements and throwing childish little insults at people, why don't you try and take 10 seconds to create a decent reply? I know it's a lot of effort for you, but please try.

Why on earth is having a bunch of schmucks with no legal knowledge on "jury service" better than having a judge and two magistrates decide somebody's fate?
why is a 'magistrate' better than a juror exactly?