User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 1 Jul 2005, 16:00   #1
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend
24Mb broadband

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/01/broadband_be/

Quote:
Net users in London are to be offered broadband at speeds up to 24 meg as part of ambitious plans by a new UK ISP.

Privately funded Be Unlimited is a new local loop unbundling (LLU) operator that is installing its kit in BT telephone exchanges to provide broadband direct to end users.

Forty five exchanges in London have been earmarked by Be initially, although it has agressive plans to unbundle many more exchanges around the UK.

A pilot scheme employing ADSL2+ technology is due to begin by early August.

The company refused to say how much the service would cost but MD Dana Pressman told The Register: "It [the price] will be very compelling and a no brainer."

London-based Be was established in October 2004 with the working name Avatar Broadband Ltd by Boris Ivanovic and Pressman.

In April 2001, Ivanovic bought fledgling Swedish ISP Bostream and launched 26 meg broadband. In three years the number of Bostream punters shot up from 2,000 to 100,000 with revenues rocketing from $1m to $55m.

Ivanovic hopes he can repeat that success in the UK.

"The deregulation of the market makes this a very exciting time for the UK and Be is here to make the most of it, offering customers the full capability of ADSL2+ from launch," said Ivanovic.

"There is no reason to drag out the increase in speed and launch in steps of 1 meg or 2 meg when the capability is there to offer the maximum speeds available - which is what Be is all about."
Hopefully media centres will become cheaper and we can start to legally download shows we wish to watch.

Last edited by Madina; 1 Jul 2005 at 16:06.
Madina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 16:01   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: 24Mb broadband anyone?

thats not anyone, thats people near specific london exchanges.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 16:07   #3
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

It will spread to other areas eventually.
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 16:17   #4
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

I forget how fast the 'Internet2' is. The one that a few US universities are using. I think it's technical name is MBONE2. With that it's said it's users can download DVDs in a minute or so.

This would probably help piracy sites as it's users will need it for less time, meaning the site can be up for a limited amount of time, close it's doors, then re-emerge somewhere else without the users caring that much. This also gives the anti-piracy crew less time to find out and shut-down sites.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 16:17   #5
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

LLU is not a disease.

It does not spread on it's own.

It only happens in areas with sufficient demand, just like the inital ADSL upgrades used to do.
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 16:20   #6
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

heh, my wireless network only allows for up to 20meg.

Plus I bet the upload will still be 256kb or something crap like that.
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 16:22   #7
Madina
TashTastic

Quote:
LLU is not a disease.

It does not spread on it's own.

It only happens in areas with sufficient demand, just like the inital ADSL upgrades used to do.
Yes - and in the end ADSL got to a high percentage of UK residents.
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 16:22   #8
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

would be nice to have i think would certainly improve my lag in WOW hehehe
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 16:58   #9
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

I don't play online games but how does broadband improve lag? the speed of light is still the limiting factor , i thought most games operated on the principle that the graphics and game play were dealt with at each computer and only the most necessary details (location/vector of every player) was transmitted?

im probably utterly wrong but just wondering.
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 17:03   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If your connection is doing other things then lag generally gets worse. I suppose a fast connection could help with that sort of problem.

Undoubtedly my household will sign up for this if our area is included although I'm not sure why. Without wishing to say 640k should be enough for anyone, I can scarcely see a sustained use for 8mbit/sec, let alone 20mbit+.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 17:07   #11
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

tbh cable interactive tv services are fustratingly slow, those types of connections will probably be much more useful interms of interactive tv rather than computer connections.
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 17:10   #12
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

we operate multiple computers doing different things in my house, thats the only reason it would improve my lag :/ sorry, wasnt clear in my original post there
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 17:11   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusselt
I don't play online games but how does broadband improve lag? the speed of light is still the limiting factor , i thought most games operated on the principle that the graphics and game play were dealt with at each computer and only the most necessary details (location/vector of every player) was transmitted?

Better connection = more likelihood the information will reach you on time, in the right order. Plus, bandwidth is sometimes an issue; WoW sometimes peaks at around 150kbps when I've just jumped down to the mailbox in Orgrimmar for the first time that day.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 17:13   #14
roadrunner_0
cynic

orgrimmar is ****ing horrible, unfortunately i have to go there for the auction house otherwise i would avoid the bloody place
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 17:17   #15
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Better connection = more likelihood the information will reach you on time, in the right order. Plus, bandwidth is sometimes an issue; WoW sometimes peaks at around 150kbps when I've just jumped down to the mailbox in Orgrimmar for the first time that day.
Be happy you're not on Alliance side, ever been to Ironforge?
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 17:18   #16
roadrunner_0
cynic

be happy you're not on my server alliance outnumber horde (approximately) 3 to 1 and org is that bad... i cant even imagine ironforge!
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 17:26   #17
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

not not yet because i dont play the game
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 17:33   #18
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
if is fine for me

:/
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 17:34   #19
roadrunner_0
cynic

what server you on though? same as leshy?
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 17:42   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Yep!
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 17:49   #21
roadrunner_0
cynic

how many times did you die getting that?
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 18:03   #22
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
what server you on though? same as leshy?
no, silver moon, which is one of the busiest.
Unread 1 Jul 2005, 18:45   #23
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
tbh cable interactive tv services are fustratingly slow, those types of connections will probably be much more useful interms of interactive tv rather than computer connections.
The speed of inactive tv has nothing to do with the data transfer rate. The cable network after all can handle speeds much higher than the ADSL lines can, even in ADSL2 format. The problem with interactive TV on the cable network is the set top boxes. They have a small amount of ram and slow cpu which is the result of the slow down. Its likly to be a problem for the cable network for a long time as its not viable to roll out new boxes into millions of homes and with the debt they have still means that the new boxes they can roll out are still sub standard.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew

Last edited by wakey; 2 Jul 2005 at 09:39.
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2005, 00:26   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
how many times did you die getting that?
Only 3 or 4, and, if you notice, I'm not wearing any equipment that has durability so it doesn't matter.

Another thing to notice is that Helixfox is a good five times larger than everyone else.
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 08:41   #25
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:

the speed of light isn't the limiting factor - the limiting factor is the bandwidth, or how much data you can squash into the line at any one time. there are different ways to multiplex data, for example, you data can have a number of levels rather than just binary on/off, or you can send the data at different optical frequencies in a fibreoptic cable, or you can multiplex using different sorts of modulation, such as amplitude, frequency and phase modulation. broadband improves lag by being able to handle more data, though it, at the end of the day, is then limited by the speed at which the various computers work around the network, from the servers to the end user.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote