User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 25 Oct 2005, 18:24   #51
Duncan
saint-ciboire de tabarnac

Duncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud of
Re: Uni - Is It Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer
Why, because I think that the money that government hands out to people for health and education doesn't come from nowhere and that everyone who benefits should make a contribution to make sure there's enough funding for the NHS etc to function properly?
you're practically bragging about your life and work ethic while demanding that others live by your example

sloth exists and your shrill rants won't make anyone work harder

most people who benefit from the NHS do contribute back to the fund, poor people will just have a hard time paying back all that was given to them. is education money given out freely, or do you need to meet certain grades, like government funded scholarships?
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 18:45   #52
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

more people die in cars who are driven by drivers who arent drunk than those who are! So tonight i will be driving back drunk.
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 21:44   #53
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
you're practically bragging about your life and work ethic while demanding that others live by your example

sloth exists and your shrill rants won't make anyone work harder

most people who benefit from the NHS do contribute back to the fund, poor people will just have a hard time paying back all that was given to them. is education money given out freely, or do you need to meet certain grades, like government funded scholarships?
I'm just pointing out that I'm not hypocritical and do actually adhere to my standards, and that it is actually possible to do work properly, have a good time at uni, and come out with a good degree.
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 02:03   #54
Duncan
saint-ciboire de tabarnac

Duncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud of

i'm sure you're an upstanding citizen and will be a solid contributer to society one day. if everyone shared your work ethic, abilities, desires and view on how to have 'a good time', the world would be a better place. that's just not how the world works -- so you still get to be a special flower growing from the muck <3

Quote:
They're not obliged to pay taxes to help fund the NHS, but they bloody well ought to be. Why the flying **** should I go out to work all day to pay taxes to pay for someone else who has never contributed a penny?
how do you propose enforcing this exactly? hint: it involves a shitload more taxes

i'm fairly sure whoever planned out the fund took into account drop-outs and the people who go job slumming with their degree. if they have a job and buy things in the UK,, they're paying taxes (which i assume a part of goes to the NHS?) so they're still contributing. i'm really not sure what you're angry about here.

Quote:
You shouldn't be working yourself to death, but there's no reason the government should be paying your tuition fees so that you can go out on the piss every night.
from a strictly finacial viewpoint, it's the degree that matters, not study habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some retard
she's a huge bitch with a very good point tho, if you bothered to read what whe's saying you moron..
**** you. i actually agree with alot of her sound, parent-like advice and never said otherwise.

Last edited by Duncan; 26 Oct 2005 at 02:16.
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 10:41   #55
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
so you still get to be a special flower growing from the muck <3
That's a pretty good line I'll have to remember it.
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 16:30   #56
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
They're not obliged to pay taxes to help fund the NHS, but they bloody well ought to be. Why the flying **** should I go out to work all day to pay taxes to pay for someone else who has never contributed a penny?
Huh? Everyone has to pay taxes to fund the NHS. Everyone has to pay taxes to fund university education. Theres no real difference. The average graduate is going to pay far more in tax than their degree would have cost on the open market, even if they get a third in Women's Studies and end up working in McDonalds.

But anyway, thats missing the point. I'd much rather have went to a private university than a publically funded one, but that isnt possible since private universities dont exist in this country* due to political reasons that are outside my control. Hence its pretty bizarre to say that my being forced to attend a public university somehow creates an obligation for me to pay back the people who are the reason that I have to participate in a system which I dont even want to exist. A far better idea would just be to end all public funding of universities and then let people go wherever they are able to obtain/afford a place.

Quote:
And before you say that I don't pay taxes, I do government-funded research. I suppose they could take tax off me, but then they'd give me more money in the first place as stipends are intended to leave you with the same amount to live on as a working grad would get after tax. This is to encourage people to do research because the government wants people like me to do it, and until now they money has been too shite for it to be worth it. (Actually, I get considerably less than I'd get if I were working in a normal job, but never mind.)
Again, I would imagine that whatever you decide to do with your degree, you'll end up paying far more tax than your degree would have cost had it not been subsidised. Even places like Harvard are only £25000 a year or so, and I assume you'll lose a lot more than £100000 to the goverment (either directly or indirectly) over the course of your life. However, I dont think people that are doing jobs which wouldnt even exist without tax subsidies are in any position to complain about others having a free ride on taxpayer money. I dont know what sort of research youre actually involved in just now (other than that its probably physics relaetd), so I've no idea whether it would be considered useful enough to get private funding if 'the taxpayer' wasnt being forced to pay for it.

* except buckingham university or whatever its called :o

Last edited by Nodrog; 26 Oct 2005 at 16:59.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 16:56   #57
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
I reckon that depends on whether you do a useful degree or not. Physics grads, for example, can just walk into top jobs. Assuming they didn't get thirds.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider 'top jobs'?
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 16:59   #58
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusselt
Out of curiosity, what do you consider 'top jobs'?
Being a physicist I assume
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote