User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Oct 2006, 12:30   #1
SpookyVince
The Force of Spookyness

SpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really nice
Question First wave distorters is useless?

Copied from the in game description of the Wave Distorter:

"If you have X Distorters, you can not be scanned by people with X-1, or fewer, Amplifiers."

So, that means that people with exactly 1 distorter can't be scanned only by people having 1 - 1 = 0 amps? That is, the first distorter you build is in fact totally useless?
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 12:41   #2
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First wave distorters is useless?

I think you read it a bit wrong,

"If you have X Distorters, you can not be scanned by people with X-1, or fewer, Amplifiers."

Meaning, if you have 10 dist, you can only be scanned by people with 10 amps or more, but can't be scanned by people 9 amps or less.

So in your example, if you have 1 dist, you can only be scanned by people with 1 amp or more

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 12:47   #3
SpookyVince
The Force of Spookyness

SpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really nice

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. That is, the first distorter is useless, as people with 0 amps can't scan at all anyway. What I mean is, you should be able with 1 dist to block a "scanner" with only 1 amp, making your very first distorter useful.
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 13:04   #4
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyVince
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. That is, the first distorter is useless, as people with 0 amps can't scan at all anyway. What I mean is, you should be able with 1 dist to block a "scanner" with only 1 amp, making your very first distorter useful.
I don't see why it should be changed so that 1 distorter has any usefull effect. Its not like 1 distorter is gonna stop any half decent scanner from scanning you, and personally i don't believe that it make sense to waste resources (and building space) on 1 distorter if you aren't going to make more anyway, thats like building 1 structure killer just for the fun of it. Ppl with only 1 amp won't have access to the 'usefull' scans anyway.
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 13:08   #5
SpookyVince
The Force of Spookyness

I totally agree, but I believe that this is a rather stupid fact, and that it could be changed.
Quote:
... personally i don't believe that it make sense to waste resources (and building space) on 1 distorter ...
It is waste to build one useless structure anyway, even if it is only the first of many.
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 13:23   #6
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyVince
Your change gives a massive amount of power to dist whores. Your only allowed 150 constructions as a max. Even if a scanner goes all out for amps then they still need 1 factory to be able to do the scans. Dist whores also need 1 factory to be able to put their dists to some kind of use. Currently a maxed out scanner can scan a maxed out dist whore so no-ones completely protected but with your change a scanner would require x+1 amps to scan a planet meaning that at the top end a dist whore would be unscanable and to point untouchable as you don't know what he has in the way of ships or what defence he has.

Certainly to me its better that no-one is fully immune and have a waste at the start for people building dists than to have immune planets just to save people building a meaningless structure at the very start
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 14:07   #7
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

i'm not sure about that wakey, i think he meant it should only affect the first distorter you make, not any following it (those will all work by the "(amps+1) distorter = unscannable" rule) . In effect making the 2nd distorter 'useless' as it doesn't add to ur distorter power, and thus moving the "problem" instead of really fixing it.

Last edited by Wandows; 15 Oct 2006 at 14:38.
Wandows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 14:26   #8
SpookyVince
The Force of Spookyness

Well Wakey has a valid point there, and actually I didn't really think of moving the problem to the 2nd distorter... I have to admit I have never really thought of building 149 distorters anyway Maybe it is a problem without any satisfying solution, and we'll have to admit that the first dist is indeed useless...