User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 23 May 2005, 21:17   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
wheel of time

ok, after i finished reading that, what do i read next? i kind of like these stories, although the books seem to become worse after the first half. the last one was total crap (in my opinion at least)
the girlfriend of a friend of mine, who usually has the same taste as i do, now started reading something called 'song of ice and fire', is that any good or at least close to wheel of time?
Unread 23 May 2005, 21:33   #2
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Re: wheel of time

If you like The Wheel of Time (at least the first few), then you'll like A Song of Ice and Fire. Another series you may also like is The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.
Unread 23 May 2005, 22:27   #3
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

thanks, ill see if i can find that one somewhere.
Unread 23 May 2005, 22:44   #4
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

A Song of Ice and Fire is brilliant, very brilliant, although I hope book 4 comes out soon, very soon.

(googling it after posting)
Unread 23 May 2005, 23:12   #5
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice

WoT is horrible :-\ it's soap opera in book form.

I'd recommend Gerog R R Martin, as others did, and also Raymond E. Feist. His "Magician" is truly a great book, and the sequels aren't bad either.
DukePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2005, 03:44   #6
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I'm liking The Dark Tower series by Stpehen King.

The Gotrek and Felix series by William King is also a very nice series in the Warhammer world.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2005, 03:56   #7
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I second
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantoz
Steven Eriksons Malazan Book of The Fallen
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath
A Song of Ice and Fire
I've been waiting for book four of a song of ice and fire for four years (that's a lot of fore) now. It was supposed to come out at the start of this year but no signs (although you can literally read a third of the chapters on the internet) as of yet. I've only read two books in the malazan book of the fallen (memories of ice and whatever the most recent one was called) but they were both top notch, although the second one confused the hell out of me until the end.
Unread 24 May 2005, 04:56   #8
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I randomly pick up books in bookstores and buy them depending on how interesting the first twenty odd pages are. I find that usually if you have to read the first book to be able to enjoy the next ones the entire series is probably not worth reading. I understood memories of ice pretty easily actually, unless there's something fairly random I didn't get and didn't even know I didn't get. I find that in fiction I need to be able to identify on some level with at least one character fairly quickly or I lose all interest in the book in general. It's when the characters are really interesting that I'll buy all the books in a series. Generally I need some kind of broad dramatic sweep, at least in the background, to the book as well (although this is predominately in sci-fi/fantasy where character development can run a distant second to describing eight hundred quadrillion different cities, castles, starships, spaceports, battles etc etc).
Unread 24 May 2005, 05:22   #9
JonnyBGood
Banned

I said that "if you have to read the first book to be able to enjoy the next ones the entire series is probably not worth reading". I agree that a great series of books enhance each other, however all of them should be able to stand on their own merits. I shall buy them if I see them but my local bookstore isn't that big and I rarely go into dublin during the daytime anymore
Unread 24 May 2005, 05:37   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
what about online book stores? most of them don't charge you for freight if you order over £20 or so.
I don't own a credit card. Plus to be honest I prefer my current way of selecting books to read. I find I end up reading some fairly bizzare books.

Quote:
Oh, the possibilities for innuendo.
Oldest profession in the world!
Unread 24 May 2005, 08:51   #11
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukePaul
WoT is horrible :-\ it's soap opera in book form.
in the beginning its not so bad, but towords the end less and less happens and the storyline(s) become more and more confusing. why is it you need like 20 parallel storylines at onces anyway? thats kind of confusing for poor foreigners like me.
i've got a song of ice and fire now. looks long enough to keep my busy for a while.
Unread 24 May 2005, 10:00   #12
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice

Ever read Dune by Frank Herbert? Then you'll realise why I don't like WoT too much - apart from what you said about horrible storyline and so on ;-) I stopped reading it after book 8 or 9, can't remember which.

...I just noticed I have Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind in my bookshelf. What on earth? Why is that there? Have I bought it? No recollection of it what-so-ever...

Also, I read the Elder Gods by David and Leigh Eddings recently. Eddings was my first bigger fantasy experience (after Brook's Sword of Shannara, which I considered great at that time. Allso after Tolkien, but I somehow allways forget to mention him when talking about fantasy), with The Belgariad series, and later the Malloerean series. In hindsight, I've realised he's not that good a writer, with little to no character development, unsurprising story twists and so on - but those two series are still favourites, guess it's got to do with being one of the first books I read. Anyway, this is the first book in a new series they're writing now, and it's very different from other fantasy stuff I've read. Sometimes amusing, often a bit childish, but fun to read, IMO.

Another fantasy series I'd like to recommend is Horngudens Tale (Speech of the Horngod, or somesuch in English). Problem is, I don't think it's translated to English, but if it is, then it's a book I found fairly interesting. I know Nantoz didn't like them, but I thought they were cool. Different, very saga-inspired (in way of telling the story). I guess it's not a series most people will like, though. The author is named B. Andreas Bull-Hansen.

Guess I'll pick up this Malazan stuff today.
Unread 24 May 2005, 10:35   #13
wu_trax

i read the first book of dune (i think it was the first, the part they put into that movie), but i kind of lost interest in the next book.
there really seems to be a lot of that stuff, ill see what i can find. bittorrent really lacks a proper search-function .
Unread 24 May 2005, 10:36   #14
DukePaul
Retired VGN

Yeah got them all (almost all, anyway), here and back home in Namsos.

And I think it might be mine book, as there's a receipt from Outland in it, dated 03/03/05. Guess you can have it if you want to sell the series ;-)
Unread 24 May 2005, 17:10   #15
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Don't bother with Sword of Truth. The first book is fairly good, but then it descends into a grotesque violence/rape orgy without any purpose whatsoever.
That's a bad thing? Seriously though, you do have a point, some of it is a little unncessary, but some of it is central to the story.

Quote:
Pluss Goodkind uses the books to promote his rather strange political views any way he can. This leads many people to hate the protagonist, not a good way to keep readers around.
And Goodkind has ripped of Jordan a shitload of times, he has notshame atl all.
Yes he has strange political views, but then the same can be said of any writer. I haven't read enough Jordan to say whether he's ripped him off or not, but I will say this: Everyone has ripped off Tolkien anyway, so does it really matter?

Quote:
Eddings was my first bigger fantasy experience... with The Belgariad series, and later the Malloerean series. In hindsight, I've realised he's not that good a writer, with little to no character development, unsurprising story twists and so on - but those two series are still favourites, guess it's got to do with being one of the first books I read.
It's not that bad, they were his first books after all, you can see the improvement in his writing style as you read through all the books. The Elenium and Tamuli are technically far better, and they are an edgier type of fantasy compared to the Belgariad et al.

Quote:
Anyway, this is the first book in a new series they're writing now, and it's very different from other fantasy stuff I've read. Sometimes amusing, often a bit childish, but fun to read, IMO.
As far as I'm concerned, The Elder Gods is childrens fantasy, I've got the second one, but because of Uni I've not read it, however I don't expect it to be much different.
Unread 24 May 2005, 18:38   #16
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Waste of Time starts so, so well. And after you read Book 5 you get a sense of foreboding, and after book 6 you know what's coming, and after book 7 you're bored, so bored, and after book 8 you just want to cry, and then you read the rest and come out at the end wondering 'was it worth it?'

Song of Ice and Fire is excellent however. So far.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2005, 19:17   #17
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
As far as I'm concerned, The Elder Gods is childrens fantasy, I've got the second one, but because of Uni I've not read it, however I don't expect it to be much different.

the second one is better, i suspect he listened to his wife less

read feist and gemmell, they tend to do series' that you can actually read within the space of two or threee weeks, rather taking six months and then realising that there are going to be half a dozen more books in the series
Unread 25 May 2005, 18:21   #18
wu_trax

song of ice and fire seems to be nice to read, but whats up with all the incest?
Unread 25 May 2005, 19:06   #19
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Wheel of Time series is actually finished now?

How was the last book?
Unread 25 May 2005, 19:24   #20
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyfe
Wheel of Time series is actually finished now?

How was the last book?
no, i finished reading those that are already out.
that prequal was ok (if i even had the whole thing, im not sure, it was a little short), the last book (i.e. book 10) was a disappointment.
the next one is going to come out in septemeber or something
Unread 27 Jun 2005, 21:21   #21
wu_trax

a song of ice and fire must be the best thing ever written. i cant wait to see the next part (i hope someone scans it as soon as its published or else i might even be forced to buy an horribly overpriced import and read it on paper ). in the future ill ask people to recommend stories that are already finished, so that i dont have to wait that long
Malazan Book of The Fallen does not seem to be my thing. i read a few chapters after i realized i already had it, but somehow i didnt like it.
that riftwar sage looks promising (almost halt through the first book now), how many books of it are there?
Unread 27 Jun 2005, 21:25   #22
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
a song of ice and fire must be the best thing ever written. i cant wait to see the next part (i hope someone scans it as soon as its published or else i might even be forced to buy an horribly overpriced import and read it on paper ).
public library?
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2005, 21:25   #23
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

read james barkley, and the assassin series by sombody or rather hobb.
aso, before you get too far into the riftwar saga it might help to read magician by the same authour.
Unread 27 Jun 2005, 21:38   #24
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
public library?
i doubt i can get it in english and short after its published. theyll translate it, turn it into 2-3 books and then puclish it. month later i might be able to get a translated version in a libary
Unread 27 Jun 2005, 21:42   #25
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
read james barkley, and the assassin series by sombody or rather hobb.
aso, before you get too far into the riftwar saga it might help to read magician by the same authour.
thats what im reading. i was a bit confused which book is the first. if have some titles that start with 'Riftwar' and other that start with 'Legends of the Riftwar'
Unread 27 Jun 2005, 22:18   #26
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

look in the front of the book?
Unread 27 Jun 2005, 23:35   #27
DukePaul
Retired VGN

Yay, this thread got resurrected!

http://www.crydee.com/

Go to books -> Series.
I'd read first Riftwar, then Riftwar Legacy (the "Krondor:" books), then Krondor's Sons (heh, didn't know those two books had a series name), Serpent War and then Empire - Empire can be read at any point after Riftwar, as they are a sidetrack from the "main" story, and though they happen mostly at the same time as the Riftwar, they don't interfer very much with the other books. Then go for Conclave of Shadows. I haven't read Legends of the Riftwar, and I assume them to be crap as he wrote them with a co-author.

I finished Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson a few weeks back, it was really good, thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction. Guess I'll have to get through the other books too, now.
Unread 28 Jun 2005, 07:45   #28
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Read Erikson.
Read Martin.
Read Hobb.
Read Feist.

In that order
Unread 28 Jun 2005, 11:20   #29
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future

My Suggestions:

Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman - Dragonlance Chronicles Trilogy
Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman - Dragonlance Legends Trilogy
Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman - Dragonlance War of Souls Trilogy

( check other fantasy series from the same authors too )

R.A. Salvatore - Many books, check him on amazon

Perry Rhodan series ( Soap-Opera Sci-Fi, over 2200 volumes, quite nice )

Neil Gaiman's books

Douglas Adam's books

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2005, 11:58   #30
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i still cant get away with hobb :/ very long winded andhe pays far too much attention to exploring the characters occationally and it feels like he loses the story a bit
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 06:00   #31
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
i still cant get away with hobb :/ very long winded andhe pays far too much attention to exploring the characters occationally and it feels like he loses the story a bit
She is a semi decent character writer; I agree. The plot is a little light and fluffy at times so I tend to think of her books as good 'filler' reads between serious novels.

Incidentally I feel the same way about Weis and Hickman, its Fantasy Lite ™
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 09:51   #32
roadrunner_0
cynic

just realised i typed he when i meant she :/ oops :/
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 17:41   #33
wu_trax

that magician-book wasnt bad (i think i never read 450 A4-pages in 2 days, at least not in english), but after song of ice and fire i think it had too much peace, love and happieness and too little betrayal, envy and hidden agendas
Unread 29 Jun 2005, 18:51   #34
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts

You should try the Guardians of the Flame by Joel Rosenberg; Chronicles of the Cheysuli by Jennifer Roberson and nine books in three series by Julian May -- the Saga of Pliocene Exile (four books), Intervention (two books) and the Galactic Milieu Trilogy.