User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 19 Oct 2005, 21:36   #1
Razgriz
Retired FCHC

Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough
Question Uni - Is It Worth It?

Ok, so i'm 22 and i'm thinking not going to uni right after finishing college was a bad idea coz life seems to be on a downward spiral. A friend of mine who went to uni is singing it's praises but that only coz he wants me to go to uni with him in September i think.

So i ask you, people of Planetarion, for your advice on the whole thing

Cheers in advance
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
---------------------------------------------------
[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]ucked

join our public chan #f-crew
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2005, 21:40   #2
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future
Re: Uni - Is It Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz
Ok, so i'm 22 and i'm thinking not going to uni right after finishing college was a bad idea coz life seems to be on a downward spiral. A friend of mine who went to uni is singing it's praises but that only coz he wants me to go to uni with him in September i think.

So i ask you, people of Planetarion, for your advice on the whole thing

Cheers in advance
Bear in mind that top-up fees apply from next year. So take that into account when you make a decision.

Yes i think University is very much worth it. Apart from the educational side of Uni (which in most cases assuming you didn't go to a worthless university and did a worthless degree and got a worthless grade, will lead to long-term better job prospects etc..) there are other benefits to consider.

Social Life. You should be able to gather all sorts of fun out of uni no matter what you're interested in as you'll inevitably find lots of people who have similar beliefs and hobbies etc.. as you.

Also you learn a lot at uni. You'll be surprised as to how much you can actually learn (non-education), such as cooking, how to be sociable, the dating game, living on your own, managing finances etc... etc..

Plus being 22 always helps with the women
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2005, 21:42   #3
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

it depends, what do you want to do with your life? There is (unfortunately) no easy answer to this question. Do you have something else picked out to do instead? Have you got any kind of idea as to what you would like to do for the rest of your life? (straight in with the easy questions for you to think about there )
I would say that not everyone should go to uni - but thats just my opinion, I know that if i had stayed at uni and got a job related to what i was doing i would be on a hell of a lot more money than i am now, however, i don't regret my decisions - uni simply wasn't for me.

In case you can't be bothered to read all that, the one line answer is - look at all your options as uni isn't right for everyone.
Unread 19 Oct 2005, 21:45   #4
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

One note before you proceed.

We are not the people of PA. If PA would be a cool club, GD would be the secret dark room in the basement.
Unread 19 Oct 2005, 21:51   #5
Razgriz
Retired FCHC

Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough

Well i'm already qualified as a Chef and as a motor technian.... just don't want to do that. I was always told to chase my dreams but to do so a degree would help big time not as a short cut though, more so as a means to an end

Unread 19 Oct 2005, 21:54   #6
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well i'm already qualified as a Chef and as a motor technian.... just don't want to do that. I was always told to chase my dreams but to do so a degree would help big time not as a short cut though, more so as a means to an end
Well there you go. You've answered your own question. Very important that whatever you do in life - you enjoy. So make your decision based on that alone. Don't get stuck into something that you don't want to do or don't enjoy.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2005, 22:01   #7
Razgriz
Retired FCHC

I guess the real problem is being brought up in an Army family i was used to moving around every 3 years. Now i'm out of that and finally settled - i don't really like the idea of moving away again and having to start again as such. I know nothing much changes with 'home' life but i guess the idea is a bit 'big' for me. I know that i won't beable to make this disision on my own which is why i'm asking you all to give me an insight to the whole thing and your own oppinions.

Thanks for your input so far, very thought provoking

Unread 19 Oct 2005, 22:05   #8
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

It's worth it if u want to have fun, and a good normal life afterwards

Its not worth it if u want to get rich, or if u want to become a fulltime gamer
Unread 19 Oct 2005, 22:16   #9
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future

Its definitely worth it. I do not have a degree and am lucky making what I am making per year (about 45k US) If I had a degree that would bump up at a minimum to 65k and could easily have me in six figures. So if you have the motivation, nothing beats a uni degree for advances in income.
Unread 19 Oct 2005, 23:02   #10
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

If you don't live the student life you'll regret it. Just do it.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 00:00   #11
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 00:44   #12
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

Quote:
shall i go to uni?
I was in your boat 3 years ago, I was 22, life going no where stuck in a dead end job with no prospects.

**** that shit.

I applied to go to Uni, got accepted, and started my degree on the day of my 23rd birthday. Best thing I ever did: I'm now 26, I have until may 2006 left on my degree, thinking about doing a PGCE and becoming a teacher, and I'm enaged to the most beautiful girl in the whole world.

In short: go to Uni
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 13:06   #13
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If you don't mind being in debt for a million years (unless your parents are wealthy or you work like a bastard through your course, which is missing the point of University somewhat) then definitely. The qualification isn't that important imo (depends on the field however) - my job has nothing to do with my degree for instance. However, as others have said, the experience is definitely worth it.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 13:44   #14
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
If you don't mind being in debt for a million years
UK students now have any unpaid debts (I thought that included a living cost loan plus top up fees) cancelled after 25 years. Top up fees are paid out of your income once you start working, a sliding scale percentage starting once you break about £15,000 p/a. If you're not earning enough, then you don't pay, if your income is average, you don't pay much.

As a student who will be affected by this, I really don't see too much of an issue. :/
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 13:47   #15
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Uni - Is It Worth It?

I got a degree, and I don't have a job yet, but that's more down to me being bone-idle than any inherent problem with university education.

I'd say go for it.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 14:13   #16
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

If you want to avoid the real world for as long as possible, go for it. But you're worth a lot more as a person if you find the stones to actually commit to something properly, get your head down and work at something.
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 14:19   #17
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

why isn't life all about making fun and love
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 14:24   #18
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

One of my mates who is 22 started uni this year and is loving it. He had never seen the point before and just couldn't be bothered but now he just wanted to get away from his family for a bit and saw this as a reason. So I would say go for it, you should have a great time.
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 14:25   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The years I've spent in university have been the most fun of my life so far. **** working, just enjoy yourself for a while.
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 14:50   #20
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

Yes it is worth it, you'll be in debt and die forgotten whatever you do so have some fun. University is a great place to spend a few years, don't just use it as a means to a job.
Unread 21 Oct 2005, 13:52   #21
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
work like a bastard through your course, which is missing the point of University somewhat
I would say that this is *exactly* the point of university.

People who are saying 'don't expect it to lead to a job', 'you should go to have fun' are missing the point of university. University should not be an opportunity to get pissed on the taxpayer's money and get yourself into loads of debt. If you're not happy with your life as it is, wasting 3 years at university by not doing any work and spending loads of money that you'll have to pay back over the rest of your life will not make you any happier when you come out the other end. It wil prolly make you feel worse, cos not only will you still be in a job you hate, you'll be in loads of debt too. You might be paying for a lot of the course fees, but the taxpayer pays a lot too, so the experience should ideally increase your earning potential so that you can pay more tax later to repay society. If you don't learn anything useful from it there's no point. You don't need to go to university to learn how to cook and go out on the pull.

Having said that, it sounds like you're not happy with your life, and want to improve it. If you can find a course that will lead to an improved job/lifestyle when you're finished, that's great, and you should go for it. But if you do media studies with picnic preparation, I will hunt you down and snap all your pencils and burn your picnic baskets.
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2005, 14:31   #22
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer

People who are saying 'don't expect it to lead to a job', 'you should go to have fun' are missing the point of university. University should not be an opportunity to get pissed on the taxpayer's money and get yourself into loads of debt. If you're not happy with your life as it is, wasting 3 years at university by not doing any work and spending loads of money that you'll have to pay back over the rest of your life will not make you any happier when you come out the other end. It wil prolly make you feel worse, cos not only will you still be in a job you hate, you'll be in loads of debt too. You might be paying for a lot of the course fees, but the taxpayer pays a lot too, so the experience should ideally increase your earning potential so that you can pay more tax later to repay society. If you don't learn anything useful from it there's no point. You don't need to go to university to learn how to cook and go out on the pull.

Having said that, it sounds like you're not happy with your life, and want to improve it. If you can find a course that will lead to an improved job/lifestyle when you're finished, that's great, and you should go for it. But if you do media studies with picnic preparation, I will hunt you down and snap all your pencils and burn your picnic baskets.

My ambition in life is to one day be able to drink a litre bottle of whiskey in fifteen minutes and remain sober. College has been good preparation for this so far
Unread 21 Oct 2005, 14:34   #23
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Students worldwide and throughout the ages disagree.
Unread 21 Oct 2005, 23:05   #24
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society

And people act all outraged when I say that 80% of people currently at university shouldn't be there. You know I'm right on this. If you want to get pissed and go on the pull on a regular basis, go live in a town with a university, get a job, find some university clubs and join them. The vast majority of uni clubs/societies around here would take non-students provided they paid the membership fee. You'll find yourself able to have a much better time because you'll be able to afford what your student counterparts can't.
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Unread 22 Oct 2005, 13:00   #25
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Cheer up emo whore.

Seriously, put a cock in it.
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2005, 13:41   #26
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

jennifer sounds like less fun than rape
Unread 22 Oct 2005, 13:45   #27
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Jenny is a lovely little physicist but a bugger when she's pissed.
Unread 23 Oct 2005, 11:15   #28
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Speaking of buggery, I tried anal sex last night.

In the giving sense, not recieving.

And she was female.

I don't see the attraction
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Oct 2005, 11:46   #29
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
My comment referred to working in an outside job to financially support yourself. Which doesn't seem the point of Uni to me.

But anyway, repay society? Heh. If you want to earn moeny (so you can pay more tax) then I would not advise going to University. There are much better ways of earning a lot of money then simply getting a degree.

Overall, I disagree with the notion that "working really hard" is desirable in many cases. It generally shows some major problems somewhere along the line (either a system is poorly designed, someone lacks ability or training). Sure, some people may like working hard but that's another matter (that's hardly work, imho).

Yeah so anyway the Protestant work ethic sucks.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Oct 2005, 19:11   #30
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's hardly his fault that universities in the UK are publically funded. There's certainly no obligation to 'pay back society' for getting a degree, just like someone who uses the NHS to get their broken arm repaired has no obligation to get a job utilising the mended limb.

Last edited by Nodrog; 23 Oct 2005 at 19:16.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Oct 2005, 21:22   #31
Sardaukar
Shallow

Sardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of light

I'm coming up to 25 now and im in my 3rd year at uni - I hate it with a passion but i do do over 40 hours a week at work on top of uni.

Just realise that 3 years is a very very long time to commit yourself for, I've always moved about a fair old bit and not really settled down and after 3 years here im ready to be off back to London for a bit of a kick again.

I did however join the student life a bit last week, ****ed it big style on tuesday, missed all my lectures and a driving lesson cos i was waffling shite at one of my mates from 9am when we left the houseparty till 3am the next morning when we passed out on the floor of uni halls - Student and proud(ish)

8 Arrakiss 1:2:2 1869 26.837.330

Planetarion -> Psytrance Cmon guys its easy
Sardaukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 16:32   #32
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
And people act all outraged when I say that 80% of people currently at university shouldn't be there. You know I'm right on this. If you want to get pissed and go on the pull on a regular basis, go live in a town with a university, get a job, find some university clubs and join them. The vast majority of uni clubs/societies around here would take non-students provided they paid the membership fee. You'll find yourself able to have a much better time because you'll be able to afford what your student counterparts can't.
Join some shitty 'open university' if all you want is the education.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 16:34   #33
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

You people moaning about 3 years at uni, I'm going to be here for 5 years, now thats a quarter of my life to date.

That ****ing depressing.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 16:35   #34
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy
Speaking of buggery, I tried anal sex last night.

In the giving sense, not recieving.

And she was female.

I don't see the attraction
You've waited until now before trying anal sex with a woman?

Wtf?! What have you done with the real Skiddy?

Also, how loose was she? If she was a 30 y/o fag hag then you should probably get a younger sort.
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 18:22   #35
QazokRouge5
Back from timeout.

QazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the rough

Is it worth it? Let me work it.
I put my thang down, flip it and reverse it.

I think that just about sums up this thread.
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahwe
Gay ducks only do it because it impresses their peers.
QazokRouge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 19:20   #36
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
so very true.

Apart from the extra you can get on your salary if you get a decent degree, just living the "student life" makes it worth it, especially if your goto a university away from home as well.

I was talking to a friend of mine from halls in the first year last week, and we both decided if we could go back to the first year again we would do so over and over, was great fun.

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 19:25   #37
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
jennifer sounds like less fun than rape
I laughed

It is probably true thou

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 21:21   #38
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

The thing about earning more money just because you have a degree is not necessarily true anymore because so many people have a degree compared to old times that the job market is saturated with graduates.

For a degree to make an actualy difference to your salary and indeed improving your job prospects, you're looking at getting a masters to put you above the rest of the applicants for a job.

But uni is worth it I guess. Its kinda fun.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 17:49   #39
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

I reckon that depends on whether you do a useful degree or not. Physics grads, for example, can just walk into top jobs. Assuming they didn't get thirds.
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 17:51   #40
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
Join some shitty 'open university' if all you want is the education.
Get a job and earn some money if all you want is to spend money and get pissed.
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 17:56   #41
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Get a job and earn some money if all you want is to spend money and get pissed.
I thought thats what mommy and daddy were for, to give us money.
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 17:58   #42
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
It's hardly his fault that universities in the UK are publically funded. There's certainly no obligation to 'pay back society' for getting a degree, just like someone who uses the NHS to get their broken arm repaired has no obligation to get a job utilising the mended limb.
They're not obliged to pay taxes to help fund the NHS, but they bloody well ought to be. Why the flying **** should I go out to work all day to pay taxes to pay for someone else who has never contributed a penny?

And before you say that I don't pay taxes, I do government-funded research. I suppose they could take tax off me, but then they'd give me more money in the first place as stipends are intended to leave you with the same amount to live on as a working grad would get after tax. This is to encourage people to do research because the government wants people like me to do it, and until now they money has been too shite for it to be worth it. (Actually, I get considerably less than I'd get if I were working in a normal job, but never mind.) And society will benefit from the research I'm doing.
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 18:01   #43
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
They're not obliged to pay taxes to help fund the NHS, but they bloody well ought to be. Why the flying **** should I go out to work all day to pay taxes to pay for someone else who has never contributed a penny?
You shouldn't, down with taxation and that sort of thing!

Quote:
And before you say that I don't pay taxes, I do government-funded research. I suppose they could take tax off me, but then they'd give me more money in the first place as stipends are intended to leave you with the same amount to live on as a working grad would get after tax. This is to encourage people to do research because the government wants people like me to do it, and until now they money has been too shite for it to be worth it. (Actually, I get considerably less than I'd get if I were working in a normal job, but never mind.) And society will benefit from the research I'm doing.
Will there be cake? And if so of the lemon or chocolate variety?
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 18:08   #44
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
My comment referred to working in an outside job to financially support yourself. Which doesn't seem the point of Uni to me.

But anyway, repay society? Heh. If you want to earn moeny (so you can pay more tax) then I would not advise going to University. There are much better ways of earning a lot of money then simply getting a degree.

Overall, I disagree with the notion that "working really hard" is desirable in many cases. It generally shows some major problems somewhere along the line (either a system is poorly designed, someone lacks ability or training). Sure, some people may like working hard but that's another matter (that's hardly work, imho).

Yeah so anyway the Protestant work ethic sucks.
OK, I read it as 'going to uni to work at your classes/lectures etc isn't the point'.

You shouldn't be working yourself to death, but there's no reason the government should be paying your tuition fees so that you can go out on the piss every night. I personally found myself working my arse off at uni, but that's because over here, we take the best and the brightest, and get them to produce that absolute best they can, ideally without a nervous breakdown. I still had time at university to pursue interests, which included visiting the pub a couple of times a week with my friends (post jitsu re-hydration) but I still worked my arse off during the day, and did as much uni work as could feasibly be done before needing to engage in recreational activities to stop me turning into one of the crazy doctors off theme hospital. If you have to work yourself to death, and you're not being pushed by Oxbridge or some other top uni to achieve ridiculously high standards, you're prolly at the wrong uni. Equally, if you've got time to go out on the piss every night and still pass your exams, you could go to a more prestigious uni, and learn lots more useful stuff and not get pissed so often and end up better qualified.

And if you'd be working during your course to earn money to fund yourself, and you're in the position of the OP, I would suggest saving for a little while until you have enough to go through a course and not have to work evenings/weekends to pay your way. This isn't always feasible for people fresh out of school, but that's not what we're talking about here.
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 18:08   #45
Duncan
saint-ciboire de tabarnac

Duncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud of

Quote:
that's what welfare polices are all about

also, you're a huge bitch, but i'm guessing you already knew that
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 18:10   #46
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
You shouldn't, down with taxation and that sort of thing!

Will there be cake? And if so of the lemon or chocolate variety?
Taxation I approve of, so long as everyone makes a reasonable contribution.

Lemon. I'll have eaten all the chocolate before you get here.
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 18:13   #47
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I put a shite load into the NHS and I dont work. I smoke ciggies, and if me and my comrades stopped the NHS would be in shite, as would the universities. As well as that if all the students stopped drinking imagine how much money the gvmnt would lose. Its for people like me who drink, smoke and consume all things with high duty on them, which means that you jennifer didnt have to pay £50000 for your oxbridge education. It also means that you didnt have to go to a public school and it also meant that you can graduate and get a job.

You my dear should be grateful to me, as I am to you.

<3
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 18:15   #48
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan

also, you're a huge bitch, but i'm guessing you already knew that
Why, because I think that the money that government hands out to people for health and education doesn't come from nowhere and that everyone who benefits should make a contribution to make sure there's enough funding for the NHS etc to function properly?
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 18:18   #49
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJohn
Cheer up emo whore.

Seriously, put a cock in it.
I'd neg rep you if I had the time or the inclination. But I'm off out now, busy busy busy.

(cocksucker)
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 18:24   #50
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I put a shite load into the NHS and I dont work. I smoke ciggies, and if me and my comrades stopped the NHS would be in shite, as would the universities. As well as that if all the students stopped drinking imagine how much money the gvmnt would lose. Its for people like me who drink, smoke and consume all things with high duty on them, which means that you jennifer didnt have to pay £50000 for your oxbridge education. It also means that you didnt have to go to a public school and it also meant that you can graduate and get a job.

You my dear should be grateful to me, as I am to you.

<3
I doubt that smokers and drinkers single-handedly funded my degree. I suspect hard-working scientists invented the means that we currently have to heal some of those harmed by smoking and drinking-related illnesses/accidents. You can pollute your body however you want - it's your body, maybe you're right, and the NHS would be short of money without your taxes, but the effects on society of drinking and smoking are not necessarily financial and your tax money won't cure lung cancer and won't bring drink-driving victims back from the dead.